• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151008 - Kevin Mitnick - Hacking - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 08, 2015, 07:42:26 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: sydtron on October 08, 2015, 10:05:29 PM
What kind of computer did you guys have when you were younger?

I had a VIC 20 and a Commodore SX-64.  Then eventually an AMIGA 500.  With a whopping 1Mb of ram!!!  OOOOHHH!!!!

my first was a packard bell in, uhh, 1996 or so.  $2200.  32MB of RAM. 

albrecht

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 08, 2015, 10:12:03 PM
Yup. Phone Phreaking  2600Hz (Hence hackers identify with 2600 as a call-sign) Captain Crunch. Heard that one live - excellent show.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joybubbles
Cool stuff.

anunnaki

Quote from: albrecht on October 08, 2015, 10:10:13 PM
Yeah, Capt Crunch would be a good guest to revisit though I'm told he has some serious health problems recently. He was more of a phreaker which, to me, seemed more cool and easy to understand. And interesting. The coding, computer stuff goes over my head though the social engineering aspect of modern day fraud/hacking is interesting. Knowing a victim of Crytpolocker 3.0 I don't have much admiration anymore for hackers, as it seems to have just gone full-bore criminal and not for "fun" or public interest. And often run by criminal gangs/countries. One will note that Anonymous etc doesn't go after the Cartels, as they promised, or criminal gangs etc.

John Draper
John Thomas Draper (born 1943), also known as Captain Crunch, Crunch or Crunchman (after Cap'n Crunch breakfast cereal mascot), is an American computer programmer and former phone phreak. He is a legendary figure within the computer programming world and the hacker and security community. Draper has long maintained a nomadic lifestyle;[1] as of May 2013, he resides in Las Vegas, Nevada.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Draper

Zenman

Quote from: ASC on October 08, 2015, 10:08:48 PM
HEY

hello

I love you all. someone please say hi to me for once.

Hi ASC, we all love you too!

starrmtn001

Quote from: MV on October 08, 2015, 10:13:08 PM
my first was a packard bell in, uhh, 1996 or so.  $2200.  32MB of RAM.
Good evening MV!  I hope you hang out here for a while. ;D

ShayP

Quote from: maren on October 08, 2015, 10:06:43 PM
Years ago Art had one of the very first well known hackers on -- I think he went by the name Capn' Crunch?  Anyway, I wasn't at all interested -- something to do with hacking pay phones or something?  Yawn.  Well, I was riveted, GREAT radio and even I had no idea what the hell they were talking about -- and lots of hackers called in -- it was fascinating.

i remember that, and I actually for a moment thought he was the guest tonight.  Then I was like...Ohhhhhh  ;)

inuk2600

HEY

hello

I have a big bucket full of warm greetings and I'm splashing you with it  :)

HEY

hello

Hey ASC. Are they ignoring you in here ?  ;) Excellent avatar. It's not the 'Overlord', but it's close. I used 'Overlord' for a wallpaper for a while. Get that from digitalblasphemy.com ?

ShayP

I had a VIC 20 and a Commodore SX-64.  Then eventually an AMIGA 500.  With a whopping 1Mb of ram!!!  OOOOHHH!!!!

Same as you!  ;D  8)  :-[  ;)

Zenman

Quote from: maren on October 08, 2015, 10:08:52 PM
Bwhahaha!  Only if you promise to call in, Zenman!

I definitely will as soon as there's a Zenman line.   ;D

Designx

Quote from: trostol on October 08, 2015, 10:08:25 PM
Richard will still find some how to go crazy over the NASA announcement

Yes it will probably be something like Pluto is geologically active and Richard will twist it towards proving his idea that Pluto was a thriving living planet with an ancient civilization.

ShayP

HEY

hello

Hello ASC.  Perhaps you never noticed previous 'hellos."  ;)  It's tough when the thread keeps moving.

Cheers!  :D

albrecht

Quote from: Designx on October 08, 2015, 10:17:57 PM
Yes it will probably be something like Pluto is geologically active and Richard will twist it towards proving his idea that Pluto was a thriving living planet with an ancient civilization.
Clearly there are arcologies and geometries that can be seen there, in addition to the water that RCH announced decades ago.....

ShayP

Dropping a packet!?  i remember when that was drugs and not computer stuff.

nbirnes

Commodore 64 here, too. It was a great machine. Can't remember the name of the word processor that came on a ROM ... had the Shatner standup full-size cardboard advertising thing from Comdex. Maybe the first or second Comdex ever. Good times.

Art