• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151008 - Kevin Mitnick - Hacking - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 08, 2015, 07:42:26 PM

ArJuna

I used to freak people out at the World Bank in the early 1980's when I would walk into an office and start whistling at just the right pitch to get their acoustic computer couplers to start talking back to me.  Typically these would have telephone handsets on them while in use, but when I did it they were exposed to open air and actually made quite a lot of noise as the computer tried to talk to me.  It was very funny.

Zenman

Quote from: maren on October 08, 2015, 10:41:29 PM
I'll definitely submit the suggestion.  You should have no trouble getting through!

Thanks, maren. When I call in, I'll suggest that no-Jaz line, and maybe a no-Aussie line in general.   ;D

maren

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 08, 2015, 10:41:48 PM
Wait maren, I thought you said you were a relative Newish?  Hey!  I have Newish relatives.  They recently married into the family. ;D

Yes.  I'm a recent convert.  Better ditch the Habit.   :)

maren

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on October 08, 2015, 10:53:16 PM
Kevin:

;D   8)

Okay.  Revising my previous post.  Apparently the professional pic utilized photo shop.  :-)

Is this the guy who Art interviewed way back who started out doing all types of phone hacks and hacking into drive thru fast food places.?

trostol

Quote from: VoteQuimby on October 08, 2015, 10:53:53 PM
This stuff is absolutely amazing to me.

i must have vastly less interesting interests then you lol this is kinda ..dull

ShayP

Quote from: Bobbysaltereg0 on October 08, 2015, 10:55:19 PM
Is this the guy who Art interviewed way back who started out doing all types of phone hacks and hacking into drive thru fast food places.?

i think that was captain crunch.

ShayP

Quote from: trostol on October 08, 2015, 10:55:33 PM
i must have vastly less interesting interests then you lol this is kinda ..dull

Of course you have vastly less interests.   ;)

It's okay....

Quote from: ShayP on October 08, 2015, 10:57:40 PM
Of course you have vastly less interests.   ;)

It's okay....

Zing!

Mason looked good tonight by the way.

Black hatting is one of the most fascinating things in the world to me.

bateman

Art is really playing the shit out of some of these bumpers.

trostol

Quote from: VoteQuimby on October 08, 2015, 10:59:57 PM
Zing!

Mason looked good tonight by the way.

Black hatting is one of the most fascinating things in the world to me.

Mason played out of his head

G and Jake ..not so much

trostol

Quote from: bateman on October 08, 2015, 11:00:41 PM
Art is really playing the shit out of some of these bumpers.

i said that a couple weeks ago...wonder if he doesnt have as many song to play as he wants

Robert

Quote from: ArJuna on October 08, 2015, 10:38:28 PMIt appears the Heathkit resurrection is at this point just an idea.  I can find no real products on their website except for a few old kits, manuals and parts they sell on eBay.  I'm not sure if its a good idea to bring them back because electronics is very different now.  I have a workshop with tens of thousands of electronic components I can use to build and repair a lot of old stuff, but most of the new stuff is consolidated circuitry in a chip surrounded by a handful of components for interfacing with I/O, displays, and controls.

With products like the Arduino line much can be built using programmable components. Anything else would likely be very simple compared to the Heathkits of old.  I still love building stuff from scratch using the basics.
I remember when ICs started showing up & it was no longer fun to read schematics for anything analog.  Digital, OK.