• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on May 27, 2018, 11:04:52 PM
After striking out and succumbing to the sandman the last two Knapp shows, I feel like this may be a slow night in the thread.  Nonetheless it should be a good time.   8)

Cheers Gravity!  :D

I have seen an SR-71 do touch and goes and then land at Offutt AFB. Pretty wild.

ShayP

When George tells me "You're in the right place at the right time" I feel like I'm being setup.   ;D

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 27, 2018, 11:08:13 PM
I have seen an SR-71 do touch and goes and then land at Offutt AFB. Pretty wild.

You've had a great deal of experiences that I find interesting.  I can only imagine.

ShayP

TL in the house!!!!!

Hello lady.  :)

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on May 27, 2018, 11:10:22 PM
You've had a great deal of experiences that I find interesting.  I can only imagine.

There was an airshow planned for that weekend. It was probably 1981 or 1982. They are loud when they takeoff. A pretty big airplane actually.

ShayP

I can't recall the last time I was up at this hour.  I lost my mojo a while ago.  I blame Hoagland.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on May 27, 2018, 11:12:50 PM
I can't recall the last time I was up at this hour.  I lost my mojo a while ago.  I blame Hoagland.

I blame daylight savings time.

TigerLily

CSI makes it look easy but Forensic Files tells us otherwise

Evening Gravity and Shay. Two of my favorite gentlemen

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 27, 2018, 11:13:38 PM
I blame daylight savings time.

Perhaps.  Being on the east coast is a disadvantage for me when it comes to these types of programs.  I still blame Hoagland.

TigerLily

I got in a nap before Knapp so good to go

ShayP

Quote from: TigerLily on May 27, 2018, 11:15:20 PM
Evening Gravity and Shay. Two of my favorite gentlemen

Why thank you!  You will be very safe here.  Gravity may get a little creepy but that should be expected.  He also said he'd pick up the tab.  :D

ShayP

Quote from: TigerLily on May 27, 2018, 11:17:38 PM
I got in a nap before Knapp so good to go

That doesn't even work for me anymore.  :(   I think I'm going through some kind of "change."  LOL!

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on May 27, 2018, 11:18:48 PM
Why thank you!  You will be very safe here.  Gravity may get a little creepy but that should be expected.  He also said he'd pick up the tab.  :D

Exactly. I have BellGab bucks left over from last time and now I have BartEll BartBucksâ,,¢️

All the LaCroix you can drink.

Norm

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 27, 2018, 11:08:13 PM

My co-worker back in the 80's was invited to go up to Beale AFB and see the SR-71 up close. She was a good friends with a fighter jet mechanic stationed at McClellan AFB in Sacramento and he was able to secure a private visit. As they approached the bird sitting on the tarmac a solid painted line surrounded the plane. A pair of steely eyed armed guards with M16's had orders to shoot to kill anybody who crossed the painted lines that was not authorized!

ShayP

So the SR-71 is retired now.  Correct?

ShayP

That plane is simply bad ass.   8)

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on May 27, 2018, 11:31:55 PM

Yep. U-2s are still flying though.

TigerLily

Ack. After a couple of weeks with Dave, these constant commercials are more annoying than ever

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 27, 2018, 11:33:45 PM
Yep. U-2s are still flying though.

Was it too expensive to fly the SR-71?  I thought the U-2 was long gone.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on May 27, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Was it too expensive to fly the SR-71?  I thought the U-2 was long gone.

Yes. Too expensive and the spy satellites can do what the SR71 was designed to do.

ShayP

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 27, 2018, 11:40:22 PM
Yes. Too expensive and the spy satellites can do what the SR71 was designed to do.

Ahhh, I see.

ShayP

The pilots had to call collect.  LOL!  That's funny to me.  I know they wouldn't have any money on them under the circumstances but still funny when I visualize these pilots ejecting, touching ground safely, and then walking through a village to find a phone to tell the HQ what happened.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ShayP on May 27, 2018, 11:33:32 PM
That plane is simply bad ass.   8)

I liked when Tina Turner sang You're Simply Bad Ass 8)

ShayP

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 27, 2018, 11:56:41 PM
I liked when Tina Turner sang You're Simply Bad Ass 8)

I guess that's interchangeable with 'the best.'  I can hear it in my head now.   ;D

Norm

Quote from: ShayP on May 27, 2018, 11:31:55 PM

Yes, retired in 1998 or 1999. Satellites could take very good ground photos rendering the expensive spy plane obsolete. It also required specialized JP7 fuel which leaked just sitting on the ground. The design was on purpose because at high speed the plane would expand due to heat expansion. There is now plenty of great videos on YouTube revealing formally classified info on the plane. The older U2 is still being flown.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/10/persistent-old-tech/504488/