• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michael Vandeven's Radio Train Wreck

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 11, 2015, 02:45:44 PM

Quote from: MV on January 11, 2016, 05:05:51 PM
sorry to read that. 

it's just that the drama of bellgab is spilling over to the trainwreck show, and i'm not looking to host yet another bellgab related podcast suckling off of the teet of this forum.  this is one of those moments i've come to understand the value in "separation of worlds."

it is not my intent to suggest bellgab users aren't wanted as an audience.  the vast majority of you are very much wanted.  however, i think it's best to try and establish the trainwreck show as its own entity, entirely separate from this scene.  that's why, going forward, bellgab will no longer be the focal point of the trainwreck show's promotion efforts.

i realize in the short term this will result in a smaller live audience, but if we can produce a consistently high quality product, the show should grow.  if not, then we've failed anyway.

I got your twitter bookmarked.  Ready to listen to your trainwreck show.

venix

Quote from: The King of Kings on January 11, 2016, 11:30:47 PM

Does that mean 4chan are going to ruin another show?

berry

This show is great.  I missed Evelyn and you two have a great dynamic.

Quote from: venix on January 11, 2016, 11:38:56 PM
Does that mean 4chan are going to ruin another show?

I don't speak for 4chan, nor am I affiliated in anyway with anyone at any time there.  If you search my previous posts I actually commented positively on MV's broadcast ability in regards to the one bellgab podcast that  I listened to.

venix

Quote from: The King of Kings on January 12, 2016, 06:28:01 AM
I don't speak for 4chan, nor am I affiliated in anyway with anyone at any time there.  If you search my previous posts I actually commented positively on MV's broadcast ability in regards to the one bellgab podcast that  I listened to.

My apologies. I don't know why I occasionally peruse that site but I found a link to this thread there and just assumed the worst. It seems this podcast is now a target over there. The vitriol about Heather and Bell Gab is pretty intense over there. I'm not sure why all of Bell Gab has been branded as being the enemy. I was going to ask the question over there but I don't see the point and would likely not get a straight answer.

nooropathy

Quote from: berry on January 12, 2016, 04:01:15 AM

It's nice to know that there can be polar opposites reading the same typed lines and thinking something completely different: the magic of BellGab....is there a way to fast forward (in real time) through the parts where Evelyn speaks? Just not worth my time--No problem listening to the other one.

I agree it's a train wreck.

Praise MV

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The King of Kings on January 11, 2016, 11:30:47 PM

thank you, sir.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: berry on January 12, 2016, 04:01:15 AM

thanks. ev's great.  i know she sounds like a mind numbed liberal at times, but she's actually quite reasonable.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: nooropathy on January 12, 2016, 10:36:15 AM
is there a way to fast forward (in real time) through the parts where Evelyn speaks?

the technology is there.  it's just a matter of "following through."

BC

Quote from: MV on January 12, 2016, 11:27:58 AM
thanks. ev's great.  i know she sounds like a mind numbed liberal at times, but she's actually quite reasonable.

Can I add my three cents even though I’m not Samoan?

Got to start by saying I think you're both great....but then again, I think you both were mind numbing (as you put it) on your respective sides. I respect you, MV, and I enjoy hearing you express your POV. I think you both are intelligent and thoughtful. But as I listened to you both, I was surprised to hear the different “camp” perspectives coming through in your arguments. It seemed obvious that you both were gathering information from different sources. At one point, MV, you said (and I paraphrase): Is that true, because if that's true then it's crazy, about some point Evelyn was making. That’s our society in a nutshell! If there were one source for “facts” I bet there’d be a lot more agreement between people. Sure, we all bring our own perspective and interpretation, but at the very least we’d be assessing problems from the same set of information. You said the key is to be able to critically think and know when someone is manipulating you. Only problem isâ€"what one perceives as manipulation may not be what someone else perceives as manipulation.

I agree with your point that truth in reporting was lost when young people went to J-school to affect social change. But I wonder if it started to disintegrate even earlier. I think the transition of the newsroom to corporate control may have been a large factor too. I remember hearing an interview (in the early 90s, I believe) where the journalist got axed because he refused to add the spin to his reporting that his corporate owners wanted. He said a number of reporters lost their jobs for the same reason and those that remained, those that didn’t speak out, were the ones to advance to higher levels. It was chilling to hear. Those who toed the line advanced to positions of greater power, leading those beneath them to learn that toeing the line got them further ahead. Depressing.

Finally...if you’re still reading this (and this is a very minor detail): Evelyn wasn’t too far off when she said (tongue-in-cheek) that Obama had the lowest number of Executive Orders since Washington. From Teddy Roosevelt on, there are only three presidents that had less than Obama (227): JFK, Ford, and Bush 41. George W. Bush was 291, not 166 as you quoted (that was Papa Bush). That’s not saying that Obama will not tied or pass W by the end of his term though.

BTW, I was 93% Bernie, with Trump at the bottom (31%). But I bet you already new that!

Quote from: BC on January 12, 2016, 04:48:09 PM
... You said the key is to be able to critically think and know when someone is manipulating you. Only problem isâ€"what one perceives as manipulation may not be what someone else perceives as manipulation.

... Finally...if you’re still reading this (and this is a very minor detail): Evelyn wasn’t too far off when she said (tongue-in-cheek) that Obama had the lowest number of Executive Orders since Washington. From Teddy Roosevelt on, there are only three presidents that had less than Obama (227): JFK, Ford, and Bush 41. George W. Bush was 291, not 166 as you quoted (that was Papa Bush). That’s not saying that Obama will not tied or pass W by the end of his term though...

You mention critical thinking and manipulation.  Then this Executive Order comment.  I wanted to comment on it as well, as it happens to be the very place I gave up on her.

A fundamental cornerstone of our system is separation of powers.  Checks and balances.  Congress passes legislation, and the President signs it into law.  Regulations are issued by the affected Departments and Agencies to codify details of new and existing legislation.  Similarly, Executive Orders are signed by the President to indicate his priorities in implementing existing legislation, and in implementing powers granted him under the Constitution. 

A President has no authority to issue EO's, and the bureaucracy has no authority to issue regs, that are in conflict with existing law, or that go beyond it.  A President has no authority to make new law, and takes an oath to uphold the laws we do have.

I hope I'm not misinterpreting what you and Evelyn are saying in bringing up the number of EO's various Presidents have signed as an argument.  I hope you do not mean to imply that a President is somehow given a certain number of free passes to act on his own, and that Obama hasn't used as many of those free passes as past Presidents.  I'm not sure what else you could mean. 

It isn't about the number of Executive Orders, it's about the content.

In past administrations EO's have certainly been issued that go beyond a Presidents Constitutional powers, probably every President has done that.  I would argue Obama has gone well beyond any other President in claiming authority he does not have with his Executive Orders.  He has done the same with Regulations issued within the bureaucracy, in ignoring court decisions he doesn't like, and in ignoring laws he doesn't like. 

He just finished up a treaty with Iran, and refused to submit it to the Senate for the required 2/3 ratification.  He simply called it 'an agreement' instead, and ran it through a compliant UN before our elected representatives even got a look at it.  .

Simply counting up EO's issued misses the point entirely.  The lack of critical thinking is by those who have accepted this argument as valid unquestioningly, and the manipulation is by those who do know better and are intentionally spreading this argument to confuse the matter.

The same people also claim he is merely 'testing' the limits on his power.  The problem is, every bit of power a President usurps is power s/he is taking from We The People, through our elected representatives, and from our system of law, including the courts.  We don't want Presidents, no matter who they are, 'testing' the limits on their power.  I would have thought the Liberals would understand this. 

Lilith

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 12, 2016, 05:40:05 PM

... The problem is, every bit of power a President usurps is power s/he is taking from We The People, through our elected representatives, and from our system of law, including the courts.  We don't want Presidents, no matter who they are, 'testing' the limits on their power.  I would have thought the Liberals would understand this.

+1

BC

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 12, 2016, 05:40:05 PM
You mention critical thinking and manipulation.  Then this Executive Order comment.  I wanted to comment on it as well, as it happens to be the very place I gave up on her.

A fundamental cornerstone of our system is separation of powers.  Checks and balances.  Congress passes legislation, and the President signs it into law.  Regulations are issued by the affected Departments and Agencies to codify details of new and existing legislation.  Similarly, Executive Orders are signed by the President to indicate his priorities in implementing existing legislation, and in implementing powers granted him under the Constitution. 

A President has no authority to issue EO's, and the bureaucracy has no authority to issue regs, that are in conflict with existing law, or that go beyond it.  A President has no authority to make new law, and takes an oath to uphold the laws we do have.

I hope I'm not misinterpreting what you and Evelyn are saying in bringing up the number of EO's various Presidents have signed as an argument.  I hope you do not mean to imply that a President is somehow given a certain number of free passes to act on his own, and that Obama hasn't used as many of those free passes as past Presidents.  I'm not sure what else you could mean. 

It isn't about the number of Executive Orders, it's about the content.

In past administrations EO's have certainly been issued that go beyond a Presidents Constitutional powers, probably every President has done that.  I would argue Obama has gone well beyond any other President in claiming authority he does not have with his Executive Orders.  He has done the same with Regulations issued within the bureaucracy, in ignoring court decisions he doesn't like, and in ignoring laws he doesn't like. 

He just finished up a treaty with Iran, and refused to submit it to the Senate for the required 2/3 ratification.  He simply called it 'an agreement' instead, and ran it through a compliant UN before our elected representatives even got a look at it.  .

Simply counting up EO's issued misses the point entirely.  The lack of critical thinking is by those who have accepted this argument as valid unquestioningly, and the manipulation is by those who do know better and are intentionally spreading this argument to confuse the matter.

The same people also claim he is merely 'testing' the limits on his power.  The problem is, every bit of power a President usurps is power s/he is taking from We The People, through our elected representatives, and from our system of law, including the courts.  We don't want Presidents, no matter who they are, 'testing' the limits on their power.  I would have thought the Liberals would understand this.

I appreciate your response, PaperBoy (and your very limited use of labels to explain your perspective). Let me first say, I only brought up the Executive Orders discussed on the podcast to tell MV he was mistaken while reporting the numbers. I agree that we can get distracted by the argument rather than the actual issue at hand. I will look further into your position here and I very much appreciate that you took the time to write.

ONeill

Great show, glad it's back. Keep them coming.

serenity

Quote from: ONeill on January 14, 2016, 04:06:47 AM
Great show, glad it's back. Keep them coming.

You and me both!

Quote from: brig on January 11, 2016, 07:51:43 PM
Yeah, I'm sure other bellgabbers will post here for us when they get the notice on Twitter :D

Dont worry brig we will let you know. Also i post the latest MVTW on my site when it comes out.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: serenity on January 14, 2016, 11:36:45 AM
Also i post the latest MVTW on my site when it comes out.

i totally forgot about this.  what's your site?

serenity

Quote from: MV on January 14, 2016, 12:26:13 PM
i totally forgot about this.  what's your site?

Radio site is http://aliendreams.ddns.net

And lady Starrmtn is ahead of me which is good. I just got home. Lol Thank you Starr  :)

pate

I am either drunk or listening to this live.

Not Sure...

starrmtn001

Quote from: serenity on January 14, 2016, 10:56:54 PM

Radio site is http://aliendreams.ddns.net

And lady Starrmtn is ahead of me which is good. I just got home. Lol Thank you Starr  :)
You are very welcome Serenity. ;)

Faustina

Hoping for a new Radio Trainwreck this weekend.  Need to hear your and Evelyn's opinions on the two most recent debates, for just starters.

Quote from: Faustina on January 21, 2016, 03:31:04 AM
Hoping for a new Radio Trainwreck this weekend.  Need to hear your and Evelyn's opinions on the two most recent debates, for just starters.

Spoiler Alert:  She hated Trump and didn't care much for the other R's.  Bernie was wonderful and Hilary made some good points

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Faustina on January 21, 2016, 03:31:04 AM

i'm hoping to do a show sunday, but i haven't heard back from ev yet.  we shall see...

GravitySucks

Quote from: MV on January 21, 2016, 12:08:47 PM
i'm hoping to do a show sunday, but i haven't heard back from ev yet.  we shall see...

Hope she's ok. BellPhiles is doing a show Sunday as well.

Quote from: MV on January 21, 2016, 12:08:47 PM

DO IT. You were missed on the gabcast.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: malachi.martini on January 21, 2016, 03:19:56 PM
DO IT. You were missed on the gabcast.

i have it on good authority that brig is the only person who missed me.

Quote from: MV on January 21, 2016, 03:46:59 PM

I missed you, too. I was going to call in with my White Crow impersonation, but was not familiar with Curtis. I didn't want him hanging up on me, or worse....the sound of crickets.    :o :-[

Quote from: MV on January 21, 2016, 03:46:59 PM

Are you emotionally manipulating us? Damn, Art trains his padawans well!