• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Spec Sheet

Started by MV/Liberace!, May 30, 2009, 11:47:14 PM

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Tarbaby on February 04, 2014, 01:15:16 PM
I imagine version 6.1 will fix the problem. Or mayhbe one can use an alternative to FreeDOS, one that handles larger drives?

yeah, the next version of spinrite is supposed to fix this issue.  i tried using MSDOS instead of freeDOS and still had the problem.

Juan

When will the next Spec Sheet be?  I have an extremely important technical question to ask.  I may even call in - last five minutes, right?

wr250

Quote from: MV on February 04, 2014, 01:18:23 PM
yeah, the next version of spinrite is supposed to fix this issue.  i tried using MSDOS instead of freeDOS and still had the problem.

personally i use testdisk for recovery. i can recover most data if the disk still spins.unless someone used dd (or similar low level overwrite tool like oe "low level format" tool or dans boot and nuke (dban) )

saxgod

So I'm going to start posting here to get other's comments instead of annoy the hell out of MV lol.  But I just saw this concerning the PC/Desktop market this is not a surprise, but it's showing that maybe this is truly the end of the computer market?  I don't know but with Dell now private and HP doing what it's doing by focusing more on enterprise relationships instead of the individual PC market maybe this market is dead or about to be.

http://gizmodo.com/sony-is-selling-off-its-vaio-pc-business-1517260383

saxgod

This is to MV as proof that in the Dallas area at least Sprint rocks and anyone who is on ATT or Verizon, and doesn't have a grandfathered plan, and is on ATT or Verizon by choice should really wake up if they like using data.  I have 5 phones on Sprint.  I pay around 292 bucks a month and myself I use around 50gb of data and the other 4 roughly 10gb each.  So I get around for my plan 100gb of Unlimited Data.  Attached is an image of how my month is going.  I listen to SiriusXM App or watch Hulu while at work. Or like today I listened to GabCast and yesterday the latest SpecSheet.  Anyway, I highly recommend that you either get on T-Mobile or Sprint.  I have a friend here who just switched to ATT and somehow they acted like she went over her shared data even though they turned it off when they were warned.  Her bill came in around $2000 bucks.  After she paid it though and bitched they refunded her and her bill was only around 40 bucks, but the fact she had to drop that much around Christmas, it screwed up Christmas present buying, pissed her off.  I've been pushing her to take that T-Mobile deal because she just signed up 2 months ago with ATT. 

Anyway I highly suggest if you can jumping to one of the unlimited guys.  I'm hopeful Sprint is able to pull off a merger because unlike the ATT/T-Mobile deal a Sprint/T-Mobile deal will allow them to be a very competitive number 3 and actually start pricing wars with the other big two.  And since the new company could literally attack each of the big two people could just transfer their phones over to the respective networks Sprint/CDMA and T-Mobile/GSM.  It would be a perfect marriage for Sprint and T-Mobile and it would probably help the market by forcing the big two to finally allow unlimited again.  They keep using the whole bandwidth as an issue, but I don't think that is a real issue anymore I don't know.  What do you guys think?

area51drone

Here in Washington, T-Mobile is going after AT&T big time.  I'm not sure if this is everywhere, but at least here AT&T was offering $400 to get you two switch from T-Mobile to AT&T because they are so annoyed.   T-Mobile launched a counter offensive to do the same thing.  I pay $90/mo after taxes for three phones, two have unlimited data, one is just voice only with unlimited text.   They all share 700 minutes, of which I use maybe 200 a month.    Eventually AT&T and Verizon will *have* to cave and give reasonably priced unlimited data plans, but nothing so far yet.

Tarbaby

Listening to 5 year old TrainWreck:
2009, May 31st MVDRT podcast--

Fun Show. MV is back after 2½ yr hiatus. Comments on politics briefly,  declares himself as SouthPark Conservative. Delightfully, MV plays some Frank Zappa bumper music, "Baby Snakes". I have often been reminded of Zappa while listening to MV. Similar  in styles. Zappa is to rock music as MV is to podcasting. Eclectic, unrestrained, unboxed, iconoclastic.

MV says, "People are so stupid, aren't they? They're really just animals with shoes that have learned how to speak." (This in relation to the GM bail-out and UAW core problem). LMFAO

Curtis aka Mudking calls in and introduces himself to MV, apparently for the 1st time. Curtis declares his political affiliation as perhaps "Responsible Libertarian".

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Tarbaby on February 09, 2014, 05:35:25 PM
Curtis aka Mudking calls in and introduces himself to MV, apparently for the 1st time.

i get teary eyed just thinking about that moment.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on February 10, 2014, 12:23:29 AM

I have the following song playing in my head when I think about that moment.

http://youtu.be/UBYnT8JY7sE

b_dubb

Quote from: MV on February 10, 2014, 12:23:29 AM
You mean teary boweled don't you?

saxgod

So saw Sprint maybe killing the merger talk with T-Mobile, but this article proves Sprint and T-Mobile need to merge to force ATT and Verizon back on the Unlimited data offering train.  This is ridiculous they don't offer this but with T-Mobile and Sprint offering it I think you need a big third place company to force the big two to bend.  Anyway, whatever....irks me I'm hearing the DOJ is pushing back because they they a weaker 3 and 4 will compete with 100 million customers of ATT and 100+ million of Verizon.  BTW Sprint has around 40+ and T-Mobile has the same as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/official-verizon-gets-dragged-kicking-screaming-mobile-price-132804103.html?bcmt=comments-postbox

area51drone

As long as I can keep my T-Mobile plan, I'm happy.  Yes, their coverage is not perfect, but 99% of the time it works for me.   I do have a verizon wifi LTE hotspot which is set up for prepaid, so when I absolutely need internet then I can activate it for $50 and I get internet for a month.   Still way way cheaper than having a verizon or at&t phone all the time.   I was talking with my UPS driver yesterday and he pays $180 for his AT&T phones.    He's also paying $180 for his cable/internet/phone bill.   $360/mo for those bills!   You could buy a nice car for that much.  Rip off.  I pay half what he does, and as soon as I can figure out a solution for OTA tv in my area, bye bye cable tv, and I'll drop another $30 from my bills. 

saxgod

Yea I have a LTE ATT iPad but my Sprint LTE from work, downtown Dallas to my small town home 70 miles away, has LTE all the way and I now even have faster Mbps at home then my dumb verizon DSL. I dont' know where you live but Sprint really built up their network in the Dallas area.  It's sketchy in some places, but most kick ass.

area51drone

I've got t-mobile 4g, not LTE, but its still fast enough to do everything I need.  When my cable internet goes down, I put the phone on  wifi hotspot mode and I'm back up and running.  Honestly, I wouldn't even know the difference.   I couldn't be happier with T-mobile.  Unless people aren't getting coverage at their house or something, I don't know why people don't leave AT&T and Verizon in droves.

saxgod

YO MV when is a new Spec Sheet coming?  Not to be mean but I love your type of humor mixed with nerdy tech talk because I need more O&A type humor in my life :)  Anyone want to start an O&A thread haha?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: saxgod on February 13, 2014, 05:39:44 PM
YO MV when is a new Spec Sheet coming?  Not to be mean but I love your type of humor mixed with nerdy tech talk because I need more O&A type humor in my life :)  Anyone want to start an O&A thread haha?

It's all on Curtis.  I'm ready any time, but the last time I asked him to do a show, he replied, "Fuck the listeners and the dark, meandering crevasses from whence they came." 

So we'll wait...

saxgod

That can't be right. Unless it's that thing I always miss on radio where the asshole of the group is really super nice and the super nice guy is really the asshole in real life lmao. Just Kidding. I love the spec sheet and I know it sounds like I'm shit stirring but MV and Curtis in GabCast rocked and it lost something when you guys left. Best show I heard from any non radio broadcast was the one where Art called in. That's my first podcast with the network. So I want that every week lmao. Or heck GabCast turns into a weekly forum for what's weird in the world since it's hard to book specific guests like Hogland who I actually believe and I hate when people destroy his theories cause I feel like a kid again when I go oooo wow that's cool. Anyway I'd call in too or try and set something up if the spec sheet became more current.

I also hate to inflate MVs ego but when I heard you the first time I thought wow this guy is really good and reminds me of a cross between Opie and Jim with a twist of Anthony. You are a damn fine broadcaster so not to slam everyone else I must say MORE MV PLEASE. In the voice Ant uses looking for that card he needs so he can yell out BLACKJACK!!!!

Sorry for the O&A heavy references but this was meant for MV :)

area51drone

I think they make a good team.  I'm not sure if I could take a full hour of MV all by himself.  I'm not sure if Curtis could DO a full hour all by himself either.   Great show, poor week to week reliability.  But hey, it's free so I'm not complaining, or am I?  OR am I not!?  Maybe MV just needs a notch taken out of his belt and so he can grow a little humility.  Always throwing around his celebrity status..  you know, he tried to steal one of my bitches over in the gabcast thread.

saxgod

Oh I'm not saying destroy the spec sheet. I'm saying more MV on UFOShip. I think he's an awesome broadcaster and love his depreciating humor, ala Jim Nortonesque. That's all I was saying. Plus he married to an Arab and I'm half Palestinian so gotta love the man for that lol.

Tarbaby

Yup, and after that call where you met Curtis, he started hanging out in the chat rfoom (at first all alone)… when you remembered to give the phone number.  I'm still back there listening in reverse order. Now on Sep 2009. MV, do you remember the one where you and EvB were just settling in to listen to the first EVP. You had set the stage. Fired it up. Everything was quiet. Ghostly quiet. Suddenly a woman's shrill scream split the air! My heart lept. And I think you lost about 3 years off your life! I heard that one this morning and everytime I thought of it today I burst out laughing. At least 3 times. It was the footage with the Civil War soldiers skulking around in the woods. Hmm, guess that wasn't an EVP. But you also played an EVP with the two kids and the sloshing water. "He's gonna hurt us!"

Listened to the charming Frys Girl for two whole hours. Frys Girl doesn't speak in full sentences; she peaks in sentence fragments strung together with "I dunno, I dunno".

And Evelyn, the former EST instructor (I, too, remember those days where EST was hot), spoke in full sentences. But 40 in a row with no commas or periods, just this sound… "Eeeee-and". ;D
EvB on EVPs! I never did believe the least bit in EvPs but that was a FUN episode EEEE-and when I heard you, MV, say you had made some of your own it made me think EEEEE-and I just don't see why it's so often little kids EEEEEE-and they speak in borderline gibberish EEEEE-and they have reverb! What's up with the reverb? Nobody else in the room has reverb EEEEE-and it is interesting, though, that it doesn't matter if one records with tape OR with digital. That actually lends some authenticity to the phenom EEEE-and yes, I've heard programs done with the GIS guys. The more I listen, the less I believe in it.

So here I am, listening for an EVP, straining to hear, straining to hear, at the edge of my chair when suddenly A WOMAN SCREAM AT THE TOP OF HER LUNGS RIGHT INTO THE FUCKING MICROPHONE! Nice.

MVDRT Aug 18th. 2009 episode:
"Because I must do it is why I won't do it." -MV

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Tarbaby on February 15, 2014, 06:24:13 PM
"Because I must do it is why I won't do it." -MV

that's gotten me in some trouble.

Tarbaby

Heh. Same here.

The conversation with EvB about religion was pretty interesting. When tyou asserted Christians, according to their tenets & dogma, shouldn't believe they or their fellows should be traipsing around the Earth after they die. However, in the entire course of Chrstianity the dogma has been all over the map. Throughout history (like the Council of Nicea) church leaders include and exclude various and sundry beliefs and even sacraments. Hell, reincarnation itself was once a legitimate Christian tenet; it got thrown out. As have been various books of the Apocrypha over the centuries.  It doesn't take much study, though, to learn that all the Christian beliefs were inherited from previous civilizations, going all the way back to the ancient god Ma'at.

So… your position in that discussion with Evelyn was correct. Her argument, while interesting, was incorrect IMO. Yes, individuals are all different, interpreting their own beliefs in infinite ways but the question was about church dogma, not individual interpretation.

MV/Liberace!

The Spec Sheet will air live on Tuesday, Feb. 18 at 8PM EST, 5PM PST.  Visit UFOShip.com to listen live.  Call the show at 573-837-4948.

Excellent! I haven't been around here much. My uncle passed away last month. We were very close my entire life. I've been out of town dealing with his affairs and getting everything settled. I did listen to the last podcast, and hopefully I'll be able to join the chat room tomorrow night. Life is so short. Make the best of every day.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: MaxGravy on February 17, 2014, 12:03:30 PM
Excellent! I haven't been around here much. My uncle passed away last month. We were very close my entire life. I've been out of town dealing with his affairs and getting everything settled.

that sucks, max.  i went through something similar a couple years ago.  it gets better with time. 

hope to see you around tomorrow night.  call the show, if the mood strikes.

If I called it would bring the mood down. I've been on an emotional roller coaster for 3 weeks now. Don't think I could talk about anything else. Times like this bring out the best and the worst in people. I could drop a few pins and share some family secrets.

MV/Liberace!

If those family secrets involve tech, then by all means.

wr250

is there a link so i can play spec sheet in vlc ? this is because i updated my os and now everything wants to go over the HDMI and i want it to go through my headphones. vlc i can redirect, i cant redirect chrome or Firefox.

jazmunda

Quote from: wr250 on February 18, 2014, 05:04:52 PM
is there a link so i can play spec sheet in vlc ? this is because i updated my os and now everything wants to go over the HDMI and i want it to go through my headphones. vlc i can redirect, i cant redirect chrome or Firefox.

You should call into the Spec Sheet to get the answer to this question. Live tech support would be amazing. I can't wait to listen. Who wants popcorn? ;)

bateman

Quote from: jazmunda on February 18, 2014, 05:08:13 PM
You should call into the Spec Sheet to get the answer to this question. Live tech support would be amazing. I can't wait to listen. Who wants popcorn? ;)

"Please to make sure your computer is turned ON"