• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Linda Moulton Howe

Started by puddintame, December 18, 2008, 01:10:06 AM

Frys Girl

Quote from: danDNA on May 29, 2012, 03:08:07 AM
I'm now fascinated by Linda's section on Coast. Either we live in a much more scary world than we think, or Linda is easily fooled...

And I still think she's also GN's only hope for a next wife.

Sent from my Melon wired to a walkie-talkie device
I'm so glad you're posting here again! I think Linda's too good and pretty for George Noory. Noory should never get married again.... sorry he's not a relationship type of guy. Seems like a selfish man to me.

danDNA

hello frys girl :) hope youre well.

[size=78%]i finally paid the 2 quid for tapatalk on my phone, but it doesnt tell me when i get replies on forums :/[/size]
glad youre still on here too, as well as 100's of new people!!

EvB

DAN!  FRY!  OMG the reunion continues!  How the hell are you?!

Mystery43

the thing that bugs me when LMH is on is that it sounds like she pre-recorded her interview.. does she? Sounds like she plays a tape of herself talking ... IDK.. her voice bugs me.. but she does have some good information sometimes..

McPhallus

Quote from: Mystery43 on July 11, 2012, 06:13:39 PM
the thing that bugs me when LMH is on is that it sounds like she pre-recorded her interview.. does she? Sounds like she plays a tape of herself talking ... IDK.. her voice bugs me.. but she does have some good information sometimes..

Her interviews are pre-recorded, and when she talks it sounds like she's reading from a script.  I find her pedantic; too much time spent amassing information for its own sake and not enough time making it interesting.

Morgus

Linda Howe's reports have always been pre-recorded interviews.
She reuses them on other radio shows too, like Whitley Strieber's Dreamland show - just plays some of the same taped bits and then the host talks live with her for a few comments afterwards.

Zircon

Morgus, is Whitley Streiber's "Dreamland" worth listening to? I recall when he hosted the same program that was ordinarily hosted by Art Bell on Sunday evenings - and when it took it over full time - he was generally rude to callers and regarded them as a nuisance he was required to give time to. Usually saved the last 30 minutes of the program for callers. Hardly enough time to get more than half a dozen at best.

Anyway, I was wondering if it is a streamed site and you can listen to a live broadcast by simply navigating to his site?

I have listened to Strieber-Dreamland and did not really like it very much.

Back in 95 or so, Dreamland was a major highlight of my week. It was always intentionally more guest-driven than Coast from what I remember, so some amount of Strieber's relegating calls to the end of the program would make sense. He doesn't have the radio chops that Bell has, but he isn't ever as frighteningly offensive as Noory.

I also think that it's podcast only now and that there aren't nearly as many callers.

Zircon

Quote from: guildnavigator on July 11, 2012, 11:05:05 PM
I have listened to Strieber-Dreamland and did not really like it very much.

Back in 95 or so, Dreamland was a major highlight of my week. It was always intentionally more guest-driven than Coast from what I remember, so some amount of Strieber's relegating calls to the end of the program would make sense. He doesn't have the radio chops that Bell has, but he isn't ever as frighteningly offensive as Noory.

I also think that it's podcast only now and that there aren't nearly as many callers.
Are there any other national shows with the same venue as C2C (or something close)?

She's always done that tape-recorder shit, but I'm telling you guys that she used to talk as smooth as country bourbon. Something changed her diction over the years into what you are mentioning. But I still hold nostalgia for her connection to the best era of C2C and a high level of admiration for her.

Morgus

Quote from: Zircon on July 11, 2012, 10:37:22 PM
Morgus, is Whitley Streiber's "Dreamland" worth listening to? I recall when he hosted the same program that was ordinarily hosted by Art Bell on Sunday evenings - and when it took it over full time - he was generally rude to callers and regarded them as a nuisance he was required to give time to. Usually saved the last 30 minutes of the program for callers. Hardly enough time to get more than half a dozen at best.

Anyway, I was wondering if it is a streamed site and you can listen to a live broadcast by simply navigating to his site?

Whitley Strieber's Dreamland is now a weekly recorded podcast, the free streamed version (mp3 download) is less than an hour in length and comes out on Fridays.
Its just a short interview with a guest, and sometimes guest hosts other than Whitley, no callers and its never live.
He also has a subscription service at his website for longer in-depth interviews and more.

William Henry also has his own separate weekly free podcast at that site as well, he hosts and interviews one guest for about 30min or so.
Linda Howe is always credited as Dreamland's science reporter. Some years back she would have her own segment on the show every week, but due to insufficent money from the podcast, she now only appears once in a while maybe bimonthly.

Mystery43

thank you for clarifying that about prerecorded interview! super annoying. I should have put this under "things that annoy you"  ;)

fysisist

Not only pre-recorded, but she obviously edits them as well to fit the story or theory she is promoting.  It often sounds like the interviewee is responding to a different question than the one she edited in.  Whatever legitimacy she once had seems long gone. 

McPhallus

They disavowed ever having Fort Rock as a correspondent (or whatever the connection that douche claimed) so you know their standards are top-notch.

Quote from: Morgus on July 12, 2012, 12:44:35 AM
Whitley Strieber's Dreamland is now a weekly recorded podcast, the free streamed version (mp3 download) is less than an hour in length and comes out on Fridays.
Its just a short interview with a guest, and sometimes guest hosts other than Whitley, no callers and its never live.
He also has a subscription service at his website for longer in-depth interviews and more.

William Henry also has his own separate weekly free podcast at that site as well, he hosts and interviews one guest for about 30min or so.
Linda Howe is always credited as Dreamland's science reporter. Some years back she would have her own segment on the show every week, but due to insufficent money from the podcast, she now only appears once in a while maybe bimonthly.

expat

Trivia: What was LMH's credit on the 1989 Japanese TV documentary "Kinkyû UFO tettei shuzai tokuhô!"?

Answer: Rinda Mouruton Hau

martinjsxx

Quote from: McPhallus on July 11, 2012, 06:58:00 PM
Her interviews are pre-recorded, and when she talks it sounds like she's reading from a script.  I find her pedantic; too much time spent amassing information for its own sake and not enough time making it interesting.

I have a strong feeling that this is the equipment LMH uses:

Ben Shockley

Quote from: martinjsxx on July 15, 2012, 04:17:53 PM

She's been paying Sears $5 per year since 1978 to keep extending the warranty on a $14.95 recorder.

Frys Girl

Holy c[h]ow[e]. I love that tape recorder.... and this forum. Too damn funny.

Sardondi

Quote from: martinjsxx on July 15, 2012, 04:17:53 PM

Well of course she uses a big-ass cassette recorder...she won't look like a Serious Reporter if she carries a tiny digital recorder over her shoulder.

Plus it goes with her Serious Reporter typewriter...

...so that she can look like the King of Paranormal Reporters....

...Karl Kolchak

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Sardondi on July 15, 2012, 07:43:31 PM
Well of course she uses a big-ass cassette recorder...she won't look like a Serious Reporter if she carries a tiny digital recorder over her shoulder.
Plus it goes with her Serious Reporter typewriter...
...so that she can look like the King of Paranormal Reporters....

...Karl Kolchak
Cue quavering warble:
"It was phenomenal, George!  My clock and fan stopped at the same instant, and I spun around and saw..."

Who would that make Georgie?  "Ron Updyke?"  Or "Gordy 'The Ghoul' Spangler?"  Or "Miss Emily?"

Juan

The black, flat-top Corona typewriter is the same kind the Unabomber used.

I think Linda's a brilliant guest. She always reports and delves into subjects where there is actually scope for interesting discussion and asks good, concise questions. We need her on more often, I reckon.

stevesh

Quote from: ChancersAnswer on July 17, 2012, 04:01:40 PM
I think Linda's a brilliant guest. She always reports and delves into subjects where there is actually scope for interesting discussion and asks good, concise questions. We need her on more often, I reckon.

I wouldn't go so far as 'brilliant' (unless you mean in contrast to the host) but I enjoy LMH's appearances, too. I appreciate a real journalist investigating the sort of stuff C2C covers. It's a nice change from the idiocy of many of the other guests discussing the same topics, despite LMH's atonal delivery and god-awful voice.

You've exactly captured my sentiments, stevesh. Many people would say that "journalistic integrity" was a contradiction in terms, but certainly not in Linda's case. Just a shame that someone else couldn't do the delivering for her  :D

nightmaster

She is better than most female hosts but still annoying I call her Linda Molton Hoe.

nina

Linda Mouldy Howe - exaggerating her statistics once again.

Tonight she says the Waldo Canyon Fire in Col Springs "destroyed 600 homes"  and of course it destroyed 347 homes.

LMH   Mysterious pyramid in Alaska...wasn't that the setting of Aliens vs Predator?

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 27, 2012, 02:45:41 AM
LMH   Mysterious pyramid in Alaska...wasn't that the setting of Aliens vs Predator?

Yes.

I usually skip anytime she's a guest.

Rasputin

I'm looking forward to hearing her segment tomorrow. One of the better guests since she is asking the questions and not George.

ShayP

Overall I respect Linda Moulten Howe.  Like many have said, her voice gets to me....in a bad way.  It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't seem so robotic and just read from her notes and match up pre-recorded interviews.  There is no change in her tone.  I don't mind her every so often but I cringe when I hear Noory say "This Thursday we have conversations with...."

UGH.

I listen anyway.   :P  I don't like it.   :-\  I guess it's my self inflicted punishment.  ;)

I should just spend that time with my balls in a vice......or get 12 consecutive prostate exams.  :)