• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 18, 2016, 02:56:37 PM
I agree with most of that, but I saw Romney as more of a moderate than a conservative. And one thing I have never heard discussed, probably because it was politically incorrect, and that is my gut tells me a lot of the evangelicals did not vote for Romney strictly because he was a Mormon. You don't hear that discussed anywhere. Obama got less popular votes in 2012 than he did in 2008 and he still won. Something caused the Rebublican base to sit that one out, and I think it was the fact the Romney was a Mormon.

The bizarre thing about the last two cycles is that McCain was no conservative at all. Anne Coulter pointed out at the time that Hillary had a more conservative voting record than McCain did, and it was true. Yet somehow the establishment got him in there. Same with Romney, a total moderate, yet he made it in there too. Yet they come out this time and try to play the angle that Trump isn't a real conservative, yet the last even remotely conservative candidate they've run was Bob Dole. Yet the interesting candidates like Ron Paul languished and were unable to convince the social conservatives to vote for them even though they were more conservative in most ways than the candidates that ended up winning. I have no idea what the hell everyone was thinking with W., McCain and Romney.

Yes, I think being a Mormon did hurt Romney to some degree, but he couldn't have won anyway. The electoral votes just weren't there. At the time I expected that Romney might win the popular vote, but he had little chance with the electoral. It's even worse now.

Designx

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 18, 2016, 02:51:13 PM
To be honest, I think the GOP has been taking huge risks since Bush left office by running establishment candidates that were unlikely to win elections. McCain/Palin was a risk, Romney was a risk, Trump less so because he actually has a shot at winning. He's the least risky up there. That's what's so weird about the establishment and social conservative mindset, everyone knows that it doesn't resonate any longer with enough of the population to win presidential elections, yet the GOP wants to keep going out of their way to put up unelectable candidates. It doesn't even work with candidates seen as anti-establishment, Ted Cruz can no more win an election against Hillary than I can sprout wings and fly away. It's just a matter of the electoral college, conservatives should have learned from Romney that the playing field is different now and trying to win with the same old socially conservative principles isn't going to cut it from here on out.

The best thing the GOP could do is take notes from the libertarians instead of the preachers. Gay marriage isn't an issue worth losing elections over, opposition to pot legalization isn't an issue worth losing elections over, abortion is an unsolvable issue that isn't worth losing elections over, and so on. Barry Goldwater said as much decades ago, but no one listened. Instead, the GOP allowed the religious right to set the post 1970's agenda. It's done so for so long that we now have candidates like Cruz that outright act like preachers hoping to snow the evangelicals into voting for them based on how they carry themselves. It's ridiculous.

i don't think an outspoken religious right candidate will win a presidential election in the United States ever again. The country is in the the midst of an immoral revolution. The Republicans will have to go to the middle to even stay relevant. The Democrats still hold the sweet candy stick and that's why a Democrat will win in 2016.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Designx on January 18, 2016, 03:18:43 PM
i don't think an outspoken religious right candidate will win a presidential election in the United States ever again. The country is in the the midst of an immoral revolution. The Republicans will have to go to the middle to even stay relevant. The Democrats still hold the sweet candy stick and that's why a Democrat will win in 2016.

I believe you are correct. If candidates want to win elections now, they need to go after people like me, under 50 independents that don't care about religious-based social issues but otherwise generally agree with the conservative platform. Only Trump has a chance, imo, the rest are cardboard cut outs with zero chance unless Bernie ends up being the candidate, which is the other wildcard. I have no idea if that guy can win or not.

When he introduced Trump before his speech at Liberty University today, Jerry Falwell, Jr. compared him to Ronald Reagan, Martin Luther King, Jerry Falwell, Sr., and Jesus.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct.  I'm not particularly fundamentalist but I am a Christian and well I hate to see the Christian-bashing going on in our current society.  Some of it is deserved but not all of it. I don't think the environment is going to get any better.  I do think Christians can win as long as they don't emphasize their Christianity. Frankly, its sort of a non-issue with me unless the first amendment is being attacked. Then I fight back aggressively.

onan

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 18, 2016, 03:01:28 PM
I just don't see the difference between Trump and Teddy Roosevelt. The same things can be said of both.

If Trump got a bullet to the chest, I think we would see a great difference between the two.

That being said, I wish Trump was similar to TR. Or anyone running for that matter.

VtaGeezer

Its rumored that Palin will "formally" endorse Trump today.  He'll regret it. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 18, 2016, 03:12:26 PM
Today Limbaugh and Levin both kept faith with their fundie audiences and went after Trump for calling out the asshole from TX as nasty and roundly disliked; a 100% true description.  When will the fools realize that their goal is not good government, but more sales of Gold Bond Powder and the latest drek from Regnery Publishing.

I listen to Rush daily these days, but he's lost touch a bit when it comes to this blind adherence of his to the "conservative" label.  Candidates like Cruz can call themselves "conservative" all they want, but it doesn't matter if the candidate can't win and implement an agenda that fixes the country.  Trump can win nationally, and he'll actually implement the policy agenda items that Rush's listeners have been claiming they want for the last 25 years, from tax reform to border reform to defense reform.  Cruz is a slimy, calculating phony who can't possibly win a general election and his campaign has too many special interest connections to accomplish anything meaningful once elected.  america doesn't want a preacher in chief.

MV/Liberace!

a candidate who seeks to implement conservative agenda items without rubbing the bible in everyone's face in the process... that republican candidate can win.  that's trump.

Quote from: MV on January 19, 2016, 12:23:17 PM
I listen to Rush daily these days, but he's lost touch a bit when it comes to this blind adherence of his to the "conservative" label.  Candidates like Cruz can call themselves "conservative" all they want, but it doesn't matter if the candidate can't win and implement an agenda that fixes the country.  Trump can win nationally, and he'll actually implement the policy agenda items that Rush's listeners have been claiming they want for the last 25 years, from tax reform to border reform to defense reform.  Cruz is a slimy, calculating phony who can't possibly win a general election and his campaign has too many special interest connections to accomplish anything meaningful once elected.  america doesn't want a preacher in chief.

Rush, Levin, et al, are expressing the same concerns many conservatives have with Trump. How the hell is he going to do everything he says he`s going to do? Answer: he can`t and never will. Why? Because nobody in congress likes him. And I mean nobody. He has no allies.

When Trump doesn`t get his way, he goes right to the gutter. That will NOT play well on the Hill.

Sarah Palin just officially endorsed Trump.  The circus now has a freak show.

PING

Quote from: MV on January 19, 2016, 12:23:17 PM
Cruz is a slimy, calculating phony who can't possibly win a general election and his campaign has too many special interest connections to accomplish anything meaningful once elected.  america doesn't want a preacher in chief.

Sadly I took that quiz posted a few weeks ago & was tied with Cruz & Rubio. Ugh please shoot me now

Ted Cruz is Hollywood casting for a B-movie swarthy sleazy slimy televangelist. He reminds me of Ernest Angley.

I grew up in the DC area. When I was a kid I'd watch WWF rasslin' Saturday mornings at 11AM on Channel 20. The show preceding rasslin' at 10AM was Ernest Angley. I remember catching the last few minutes of his show where he'd say things like "reach into your pocket...that money there...it's GOD'S money & he wants you to send it to me!" Even as a kid I knew he was full of shit. It was also the first inkling that rasslin' might not be real, because if Ernest was full of shit, then maybe WWF wasn't too...

I'm hoping Trump gets it all. Not because I am a big supporter, but for the show value. We as a country are going down the drain. At least with Trump in there the fall will be entertaining to watch.

Done with Trump.  What a fucking disgrace having Palin on stage with him.'

What was he thinking?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: PING on January 19, 2016, 05:30:11 PM
Sadly I took that quiz posted a few weeks ago & was tied with Cruz & Rubio. Ugh please shoot me now

Ted Cruz is Hollywood casting for a B-movie swarthy sleazy slimy televangelist. He reminds me of Ernest Angley.

I grew up in the DC area. When I was a kid I'd watch WWF rasslin' Saturday mornings at 11AM on Channel 20. The show preceding rasslin' at 10AM was Ernest Angley. I remember catching the last few minutes of his show where he'd say things like "reach into your pocket...that money there...it's GOD'S money & he wants you to send it to me!" Even as a kid I knew he was full of shit. It was also the first inkling that rasslin' might not be real, because if Ernest was full of shit, then maybe WWF wasn't too...

I'm hoping Trump gets it all. Not because I am a big supporter, but for the show value. We as a country are going down the drain. At least with Trump in there the fall will be entertaining to watch.
Cruz has carefully copied money-making evangelists; the cadence, the dramatic  mid-sentence pause and gaze, the big arm moves.  He's phony as hell, but for some reason the fundies buy this theatrical bullshit.  Hard to accept we've come down so far that creeps like Cruz are taken seriously. He shows how smarts don't equate to wisdom.  He has the ideology of a 14 year old.

Up All Night

Quote from: The King of Kings on January 19, 2016, 08:04:26 PM
Done with Trump.  What a fucking disgrace having Palin on stage with him.'

What was he thinking?

Trump / Palin 2016

You Bethcha ! !  ;)

Jackstar

Quote from: PING on January 19, 2016, 05:30:11 PM

I'll be honest here: this is almost precisely how I felt about the Obama presidency, eight years ago. "This is gonna be great, hells yeah!!!"

So, ask yourself... has it been? Well, for me, it's been a little column A, and a little column B, and a whole lot of wtf.

I have yet to find out if I have the sack to actually vote for Trump when the day comes, but this time, I probably won't be thinking quite so much about how great the schadenfreude is gonna be. (spoilers: it's gonna be awesome)

PING

Quote from: Jackstar on January 19, 2016, 10:21:14 PM
I'll be honest here: this is almost precisely how I felt about the Obama presidency, eight years ago. "This is gonna be great, hells yeah!!!"

So, ask yourself... has it been? Well, for me, it's been a little column A, and a little column B, and a whole lot of wtf.

I have yet to find out if I have the sack to actually vote for Trump when the day comes, but this time, I probably won't be thinking quite so much about how great the schadenfreude is gonna be. (spoilers: it's gonna be awesome)

I think the WTF moments of a President Trump would be hilarious.

If it comes to Trump vs Hillary, while I'm not his biggest supporter, I'd crawl over broken glass to vote for him to keep her out of the White House. Imagine that shrillness for 4/8 years? *shudders*

Jackstar

I'd eat the glass. Well met, Comrade.

WOTR

Quote from: PING on January 19, 2016, 11:36:28 PM
Oops. Bad timing for Palin:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sarah-palin-s-son-track-arrested-domestic-violence-charges-eve-n499976
It's a good thing he is the son of a Palin.  Can you imagine the charges he would face (providing her were still alive) if he looked like your avatar?  Hell, I'm white and I would be facing some pretty major charges.  Maybe it is because I am Canadian- but police do not smile if I brandish an AR-15 after beating my girlfriend.

Tell me again how all men are created equal and are equal before the eyes of the law?

Lt.Uhura

When parody and reality become one and the same.  Is this the news or a Saturday Night Live skit?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkKl-7Z1dg8

Jackstar

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on January 20, 2016, 02:43:48 AM
Is this the news or a Saturday Night Live skit?!

I'ma get back to you on this, but first, I have to arrange to have my balls gently cupped for twenty-one minutes.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Jackstar on January 20, 2016, 02:48:58 AM
I'ma get back to you on this, but first, I have to arrange to have my balls gently cupped for twenty-one minutes.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes of watching that video to convince anyone of average intelligence that Tina Fey is more than qualified to help run this country. :D

Finally started watching the entire clip.

It reminds me of this scene from Black Sheep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKN6JJYIWWY

VtaGeezer

Palin was a no-show at a Trump rally in IA today where she was supposed to appear with him.  She's probably back in Wasilla trying to get her asshole son off. 

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 20, 2016, 10:14:13 AM
Palin was a no-show at a Trump rally in IA today where she was supposed to appear with him.  She's probably back in Wasilla trying to get her asshole son off.
Yep, though I think any parent would leave the scene to try to deal with a potential suicide or worse at their home! I'm guess Trump is wondering about getting her endorsement, though, I guess white trash is a potential voting block.

Surprisingly Billary, or the press, won't even address why a convicted pedophile has 21 contacts for Bill on his cell phones and why Bill, in addition to other famous people, are listed on flight documents etc for his "Lolita Flights." And whatever happened to the secret movies/pictures Epstein took from the hidden cameras installed in his 'party' houses? Hmmm. Strange. I'm guessing we know of at least one way he might have gone from being a private school teacher to Billionaire.

http://www.statesman.com/ap/ap/us/sarah-palins-oldest-son-arrested-in-domestic-viole/np72s/
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/bill-clinton/bill-clinton-and-jeffrey-epstein-908671

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 20, 2016, 10:46:01 AM
I guess it must be an Alaska thing. Who keeps a fucking bed outside of their house?
:) I don't think newspapers/website have editors anymore and many of the articles sound like they are written by bad AI or translated using some automated software by non-native speakers. Then again, maybe they do have their beds outside in Alaska?

Show of hands.  Who believes Sarah Palin is endorsing Trump only because she concluded he's the candidate who can do the most for her and her greatly diminished brand, and if Ted Cruz were the front runner, she'd be on stage with him sneering at Trump and snidely deriding his liberal past and "New York" values? 

I wonder what John McCain thinks about her spitting in his eye by joining up with the guy who called McCain a loser for winding up as a POW?  He has steadfastly refused to criticize her publicly whenever given the chance, and she threw him under the bus the first chance she got.