• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coffee Lovers, Voice Your Opinion!

Started by Mordred478, October 31, 2008, 02:54:45 AM

Dyna-X

Quote from: pate on May 10, 2017, 11:14:17 PM
MMMmmm!

1974 - When the word "flavor" ruled the advertisements, cars and appliances were built like tanks, beef ruled the dinner table, rock and roll ruled the airwaves and coffee meant medium roast arabica beans, preferably from Columbia.

Fuck smashed burgers, over-roasted coffee, and plastic cars and the molded plastic paradise fueled by psychotic rap sugar rage. All third world shit sold as trendy by minions of the elitist.
'
Whether on a road trip or at the steel mills and construction sites - here was the thermos that carried coffee during the peak of civilization.

Quote from: zeebo on May 08, 2017, 01:53:04 PM
Here's a question for the coffee pros.  About half the time w/ my home brews I get a sour note.  I don't mind bitter, but sour is bad.  No likey.  The only cure is masking it with too much cream.  Any ideas on what causes this, or maybe a reco on different coffees to try?
Sounds like you need to clean the coffee maker. Some of the newer ones are very difficult to clean, especially the one cup (K-Cup) makers.
Could be bacteria build up.
Yeah, sour is a bad sign though. Even cheap beans shouldn't brew sour.

After you've had your morning pot, fill the water storage compartment with vinegar, and run it through. (It'll stink the joint up, so open some windows.)
Brew 2-3 more pots of plain water through it after the vin-e-brew has sat for an hour. (Turn off the heating element or power switch though - while it sits.)
If this doesn't help - sometimes that bacteria can be stubborn - run the juice of three full, squeezed lemons, mixed 1:1 with water through it.
The coffee filters could be imparting an odd flavor too, but shouldn't make it sour. Get the brown (unbleached) ones, if you can.   

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 04:07:42 PM
You bring the weed though.

Dude, just go to the store. We don't have to shit the shit out anymore.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on May 13, 2017, 12:01:16 PM
Dude, just go to the store. We don't have to shit the shit out anymore.

So, I have to bring the coffee AND the weed?! No deal!  >:(

pate

Quote from: Dyna-X Ⓤ on May 11, 2017, 02:40:55 AM
1974 - When the word "flavor" ruled the advertisements, cars and appliances were built like tanks, beef ruled the dinner table, rock and roll ruled the airwaves and coffee meant medium roast arabica beans, preferably from Columbia.

Fuck smashed burgers, over-roasted coffee, and plastic cars and the molded plastic paradise fueled by psychotic rap sugar rage. All third world shit sold as trendy by minions of the elitist.
'
Whether on a road trip or at the steel mills and construction sites - here was the thermos that carried coffee during the peak of civilization.

I have three of those of the Stanley variety from my old CableGuy daze.  One held a full-press of French press coffee (I believe the Community French Roast coffee was the grind of choice back then, stabilized with my own homemade concoction of CoffeMate powder, vanilla extract, sugar and water that I made in advance in one quart batches to be added to the 1 liter of coffee from the press), the other held a highly concentrated Luzianne tea that I could water down from the Igloo water jug or drink straight, the last I had a soup or runny chili in for lunch in the cold times or KoolAid in the hot thymes...

Now they sit gathering dust waiting for a camping trip or duck hunt where strong hot coffee is required, my coffee now is whole bean, ground to order.

One half-liter cup in the morning.  I get the Sam's Club French roast whole bean (Daily Chef, I think) and some Mom&Pop Ecudoraian/Belize/No-NameCoffeeKountry whole bean medium roast bags of 2 lbs or so each, mix them up and freeze the resulting mix portioning out beans as needed for the week.

I grind fine and still use the old French press.  Boiling water over the "fresh" gind and stir.  Steeps around 90seconds (depending on how awake I am_) two coffee stirring spoons each of sugar and Torani Hazelnut syrup, enough heavy whipping cream that I cannot see the sugar and syrup in the mug and decant.

Sit on back step looking at back yard, point out squirrels for inobservant dogs and otherwise waste 20 minutes of a morning...

It's not fancy, but it works on a daily basis.  I even get some gardening done on a good morning.

ediot: most days that is all the coffee I drink, I'd say about half a liter about an hour after waking up (I stumble to the kitchen to turn the teapot onto boil, and lawd help me if I forgot to make sure it had enough water the night before...)  Unless I am hungover, yikes, normally just suffer through, but if I feel I have to I will drink the awful crap work has (Ronnoco or somecrap, simply awful and really not worth it) if lots of hydration doesn't do the trick...

2ndiot:  I have found that my fear of drinking the crappy coffee at work has really cut down on my adult beverage consumption, or toughened me up.  I rarely drink the coffee on offer at work, and the simian "level" of coffee I find acceptable is only available at home...  Every once in awhile I will come home for lunch and make another pot on top of the old grounds from the morning, basically using the spent grounds from the morning and fresh ground on top (I'd dump the mornings mess out, but if I am doing that I am mainly interested in laying on the couch with my eyes closed for as long as possible and the trip to the compost heap shaves a few minutes off of that...)

3redeot:  Blah, I haven't even had my last beer of the night and I already want a cuppa...

Midnight americano, Brazil Daterra SO!

WOTR

Quote from: malachi.martini 🍸 on May 25, 2017, 11:17:56 PM

Midnight americano, Brazil Daterra SO!

Hmmm.  I decided to give it a go tonight.  I have somewhat mixed feelings.  First, I think that the roast that I am using for my espresso is probably a little light- I'm getting more citrus than sweet (I generally go for a light roast.)

the double shot was added to roughly 8 ounces of cold water and then a few ice cubes added.  Perhaps it is because I really am used to espresso, I found it to be a little weak (or, again, perhaps it is the lighter roast.)

I have some older dark roast that is now probably going on two months old that was destined for vac pot coffee.  As it is "just" getting added to cold water, I may give that a whirl.

How many ounces is the finished product, generally?
What roast is generally used?
Is the espresso added to iced water, or just cold water with ice added later?

***I'm not saying it was bad- just not quite what I had in mind for a refreshing but flavourful drink...

Quote from: WOTR on May 30, 2017, 03:34:18 AM
Hmmm.  I decided to give it a go tonight.  I have somewhat mixed feelings.  First, I think that the roast that I am using for my espresso is probably a little light- I'm getting more citrus than sweet (I generally go for a light roast.)

the double shot was added to roughly 8 ounces of cold water and then a few ice cubes added.  Perhaps it is because I really am used to espresso, I found it to be a little weak (or, again, perhaps it is the lighter roast.)

I have some older dark roast that is now probably going on two months old that was destined for vac pot coffee.  As it is "just" getting added to cold water, I may give that a whirl.

How many ounces is the finished product, generally?
What roast is generally used?
Is the espresso added to iced water, or just cold water with ice added later?

***I'm not saying it was bad- just not quite what I had in mind for a refreshing but flavourful drink...

I usually eyeball the proportions, but it's usually 2oz water, 2oz espresso, 4oz ice cubes... I brew it over ice, so a good bit of it melts. Any more water per pull is weaker than I'd like, might be why you were meh about it? The roast is city+/fullcity, chocolate and caramel heavy. I avoid the lighter and super dark roasts, don't like burnt or bright at all.

Got a bag of Stumptown Hairbender espresso over the weekend, and it tasted like chemical sewage. Undrinkable. Go online, find out they were bought out by Peets. What a shame, it was a consistently great coffee.

Rix Gins

Now how cool would this be?  Having coffee with the Master of Horror himself, Vincent Price.  From 1959's The Tingler.

WOTR

Quote from: malachi.martini 🍸 on May 30, 2017, 08:33:57 AM
I usually eyeball the proportions, but it's usually 2oz water, 2oz espresso, 4oz ice cubes... I brew it over ice, so a good bit of it melts. Any more water per pull is weaker than I'd like, might be why you were meh about it? The roast is city+/fullcity, chocolate and caramel heavy. I avoid the lighter and super dark roasts, don't like burnt or bright at all.

Got a bag of Stumptown Hairbender espresso over the weekend, and it tasted like chemical sewage. Undrinkable. Go online, find out they were bought out by Peets. What a shame, it was a consistently great coffee.
I must confess that using those rations was a huge improvement.  When I googled it, the first directions I came across were for "16 ounces" of water being the standard (though the presenter used 8 for himself.)  2 is far better. 

I generally like my espresso to be "bright" with a citrus acidity- so light to medium roast is my preference.  However, I'm still going to use some of those older dark and oily beans in my cupboard to try this again later in the month.  I have to say that this blend ended up with a pleasing apricot nose and a smooth profile.  Not a bad summer sipper, at all.

Quote from: WOTR on June 02, 2017, 02:22:10 AM
I must confess that using those rations was a huge improvement.  When I googled it, the first directions I came across were for "16 ounces" of water being the standard (though the presenter used 8 for himself.)  2 is far better. 

I generally like my espresso to be "bright" with a citrus acidity- so light to medium roast is my preference.  However, I'm still going to use some of those older dark and oily beans in my cupboard to try this again later in the month.  I have to say that this blend ended up with a pleasing apricot nose and a smooth profile.  Not a bad summer sipper, at all.

Good to hear! There's a cafe here called culture, they rotate some of the craziest tasting coffee I've ever had. Usually it's really fruity or floral, had a cup there that was incredible butterscotch though. You'd definitely like.

WOTR

Quote from: th'ONE on June 24, 2017, 12:48:52 PM
* 8)
Pft. $500 grinder?  I do have two Nuova Simonelli's (one red and one black) sitting on my counter- and now the compak will  be for sale.  To put that in perspective- they are all $1000+ grinders.  If you are going to run commercial espresso machines where you have to plumb them in and bring in 220V outlets, it would be pretty dumb to pair it with a $20 walmart grinder.

***Note that I am not really that dumb- they all have good burrs, and I have yet to spend over $150 on a grinder.

WOTR

Could you do one for the espresso machine in my kitchen next?

CozyRozie

Quote from: WOTR on June 25, 2017, 12:32:12 AM

what expresso machine what kitchen ???

CozyRozie

Quote from: WOTR on June 25, 2017, 12:32:12 AM

is this your kitchen? Wow!
it must be, that's what google produced after I typed "WOTR'S kitchen"
also since when turkish coffee cezve is called an espresso machine, go and fool somebody else please

French press , water from a Berkey Filter. Right now using an organic coffee that comes in a pound and a half bag from Publix. Sometimes I buy a month or two supply at the health food store and mix a mixture of Colombian, Peruvian or whatever they have usually Medium cafe roast and some french roast together or separate. Sometimes order coffee from nuts.com and get some real Mocha. I grind 2/3 cup in a cheap $20 black&decker grinder(17 years still works) and I drink however many cups I can squeeze out of that  amount of grounds each morning. The "monkey" coffee mentioned is actually  Civet coffee from Civet cat pooped beans generally Ethiopia. I like my Ethiopian "Harrar" unpooped.Used to buy Marquis dePaiva Brazilian coffee before 2008 at Sam's . That is a Bio- dynamically raised coffee and was very smooth no matter how strong it was made. I lived on Hawai'i for 3 years and picked coffee to have a little cash. I roasted my own in a wok, very smoky job in a wok. Used to throw a hand full of cacao beans in with it.. Sometimes I like a little dark chocolate in my coffee but mainly like black coffee -strong.
I have one of those Stanley Aladdin thermos. Got mine when they were still American and not Chinese. They are the best thermos. You pour your boiling water in then heat the water make your coffee and the coffee will still be hot the next day. Some days I like a little Black Bush Bushmill's  in my cup with a little real whipped cream and a drizzle of Kahlua over the cream.

Rix Gins

Coffee lovers circa 1917.  From the Imperial War Museum.

German soldiers taking coffee with their landlord in a French billet, June 1917.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205316114

paladin1991

Quote from: akwilly on May 06, 2017, 02:11:56 PM
I used to drink tons of coffee, nothing fancy just Folgers. I heard about a baseball player that went on the DL because of vision problems that were traced to his caffeine intake. I too was having similar issues so I switched to one cup a day with half decaf. I can say it worked for me and hope to go decaf only in the near future

beta male

ItsOver

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 11, 2017, 04:26:32 AM
Sounds like you need to clean the coffee maker. Some of the newer ones are very difficult to clean, especially the one cup (K-Cup) makers...

One of the reasons I've just gone with a simple, inexpensive french press.  I can easily keep it super clean after each brew, even put the parts in the dishwasher, if I get lazy.  The coffee tastes great.

CozyRozie

I'm so glad that I quit drinking coffee.
After I run of coffee beans I just didn't bought any more.
Now my teeth are white and I feel much better.No micro-shakings, no agitations just smooth peaceful feeling and sound sleeping.
Yes it was /and sometimes still is/ tempting, especially the smell of freshly ground coffee and aroma of brewed moka pot or Aeropress cup,
I was using high quality 100%Arabica beans locally roasted so the aroma was very rich and intense, very addictive.. :)

It was bit freaky for the first few days not to have coffee but got used to it and I'm not noticing any "negative" effects from not drinking that bitch anymore.
And my teeth are nice and white again.
Replaced coffee with coca powder..great stuff..some coconut sugar bit of cinnamon and it makes great drink.
And no hassle with grinding,cleaning coffee making devices, and much healthier than coffee.
Coffee has it's place but is overrated and overused.
If you read on the amounts of toxic chemicals used in growing coffee on mass commercial plantations you would give a second thought how corrupt this industry is.

According to experts coffee is second biggest commodity after crude oil, so that tells you how important this industry is to some countries for their national revenue,
and no effort is spared to assure good crops, and that includes using tons of chemicals to deal with all types of bugs, and use of chemical fertilizers to assure good crops.

Especially dark roast coffee is very 'poisonous' to human body, it's a carcinogen, cancer causing crap because green coffee beans are roasted to a such high degree
it turns everything that was alive inside of that coffee bean into a cancer causing elements.
Medium roast level coffee is the maximum level that should be consumed.

There is a very good-evil and snaky reason why coffee roasters are roasting coffee beans to dark roast level selling to unaware consumers.

Rix Gins

Earl Holliman enjoys a cup of coffee from a roadside diner.  The only trouble is there's nobody around.  In fact, there most likely isn't any coffee in his cup because he's hallucinating.  In reality he is stuck in a space capsule back in a facility that tests the effects of long time isolation on prospective astronauts.  He's been in the capsule for months on end and his mind is making its own new reality.  It was the very first episode of the Twilight Zone and it was titled, appropriately enough, "Where Is Everybody?"

ShayP

Bosnian coffee.  Try it.  Drink a lot of it like I did, then figure out what to do with your nervous self.  :D  :-[ ;)  ;D

ShayP

When I was young Eight O'Clock coffee was the choice of the household.  I remember when we'd go to the local A&P to buy the beans and would grind them right at the checkout.  Years went by and the places I lived didn't have it available.  Eventually I found some and I decided to try it again but wasn't impressed.  Even more years went by and I saw the reinvented packaging and different flavors so I said 'what the heck, I'll try it again.'  I purchased this recently and it is pretty darn good.  :)