• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

19 April 1775 The Original Patriot's Day

Started by paladin1991, April 19, 2016, 01:57:54 PM

paladin1991

The first battles of the American Revolution were fought today at Lexington and Concord.  A handful of 'damn rebels' stood against the weight and might of the Imperial forces of The British Empire.

whoozit

You would get more participation if you used your name in the thread title: Paladin's 19 April 1775  The Original Patriot's Day.  I thought the 'damn Rebels' just ran from Hopkington to Boston on that Day.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 19, 2016, 01:57:54 PM
The first battles of the American Revolution were fought today at Lexington and Concord.  A handful of 'damn rebels' stood against the weight and might of the Imperial forces of The British Empire.

Thanks, Paladin.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: whoozit on April 19, 2016, 02:03:44 PM
You would get more participation if you used your name in the thread title: Paladin's 19 April 1775  The Original Patriot's Day

haha, groan.

That's something that won't happen again anytime soon.  Can you imagine the people of Taxachusetts rebelling against the central government today? 

Thanks for the reminder.   :)

Yorkshire pud

Yeah. And look how you squanderd it. You have Donald Trump, the Kardashians and crap bacon.  ;D

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 19, 2016, 02:07:54 PM
Yeah. And look how you squanderd it. You have Donald Trump, the Kardashians and crap bacon.  ;D

And you are 7-10 more generations into your selective inbreeding program. How's that working out for the Crown?

Can't argue with the first two, but I have eaten British bacon, Francis, and was hard pressed to find any actual meat attached to the under cooked fatty mess that foundered in its own grease on my plate. Any nation that commits the sort of culinary atrocities as yours doesn't deserve an empire.  You lot do realize that salt is a condiment and not a side dish or basic food group, don't you?   

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 19, 2016, 02:26:45 PM
And you are 7-10 more generations into your selective inbreeding program. How's that working out for the Crown?

They're just getting into the wider gene pool. But our bacon is yummy.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 19, 2016, 02:30:07 PM
They're just getting into the wider gene pool. But our bacon is yummy.

Do any of the other 50 or so ex-colonies celebrate their independence with as much vim and vigor as we do?

You must admit, we are one of your favorite ex-colonies.

And you lot gave us Piers Morgan, Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsay and Essex is the Way.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 19, 2016, 02:30:07 PM
They're just getting into the wider gene pool. But our bacon is yummy tasteless.

Streaky bacon for the win!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on April 19, 2016, 02:29:15 PM
Can't argue with the first two, but I have eaten British bacon, Francis, and was hard pressed to find any actual meat attached to the under cooked fatty mess that foundered in its own grease on my plate. Any nation that commits the sort of culinary atrocities as yours doesn't deserve an empire.  You lot do realize that salt is a condiment and not a side dish or basic food group, don't you?

Are you sure it was bacon you ate? We sometimes have laughs at colonists' expense.

Salt is good for you Venessa. Why, I eat at least a bucket full everytime I read your posts about your exploits at NASA as an astronaut.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on April 19, 2016, 02:33:58 PM
And you lot gave us Piers Morgan, Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsay and Essex is the Way.

Benny Hill and Fawlty Towers. Don't forget them. Adele sings nice.

whoozit

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 19, 2016, 02:36:31 PM
Don't forget the extra 325 yards in the marathon so the royals could watch.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 19, 2016, 02:33:42 PM
Do any of the other 50 or so ex-colonies celebrate their independence with as much vim and vigor as we do?

You must admit, we are one of your favorite ex-colonies.

We adore America. It's like having a gawky adolescent nephew who always means well, is polite to all but has an annoying habit of farting at inappropriate moments. Oh and can't help telling the rest of the family how wonderful he thinks he is.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on April 19, 2016, 02:33:58 PM

I hate you for that.

whoozit

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 19, 2016, 02:56:51 PM
We adore America. It's like having a gawky adolescent nephew who always means well, is polite to all but has an annoying habit of farting at inappropriate moments. Oh and can't help telling the rest of the family how wonderful he thinks he is.
At least we can sell beer at sporting events without riots breaking out.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 19, 2016, 02:36:31 PM

Has Adele got over him yet? A friend wants to know.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: whoozit on April 19, 2016, 02:58:05 PM
At least we can sell beer at sporting events without riots breaking out.

We can as long as it doesn't involve football (soccer). I'd call it a stretch to refer to your rats piss as beer though.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 19, 2016, 02:56:51 PM

If you can work out a deal to have Scotland repatriate the game of golf, we will scour our libraries for all of the past issues of Punch so you can have some fresh reading material.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: whoozit on April 19, 2016, 02:49:20 PM
Don't forget the extra 325 yards in the marathon so the royals could watch.

Well. Queen Victoria to be exact.

whoozit

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 19, 2016, 02:59:30 PM
We can as long as it doesn't involve football (soccer).
We can sell it at both kinds of football.  I'm almost surprised boring 0-0 soccer games don't cause issues here, but that is probably because no one is watching US soccer.  It's pretty awful.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: whoozit on April 19, 2016, 03:03:13 PM
We can sell it at both kinds of football.  I'm almost surprised boring 0-0 soccer games don't cause issues here, but that is probably because no one is watching US soccer.  It's pretty awful.

Not keen on it at all. Overpaid mincing prima donnas.

whoozit

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 19, 2016, 03:00:30 PM
Well. Queen Victoria to be exact.
I couldn't remember if it was her or her predecessor.  I am only an American and have trouble remembering who our president is.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: whoozit on April 19, 2016, 03:07:06 PM
I couldn't remember if it was her or her predecessor.  I am only an American and have trouble remembering who our president is.

They're the one who says 'so help me god' every four years. Dead easy to remember.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on April 19, 2016, 03:21:03 PM
They're the one who says 'so help me god' every four years. Dead easy to remember.
Any nation that gave the world bacon butty's with brown sauce, Cornish pasties, and proper pints of bitter is OK in my books.

albrecht

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on April 19, 2016, 03:32:45 PM
Any nation that gave the world bacon butty's with brown sauce, Cornish pasties, and proper pints of bitter is OK in my books.

Amen. I love British food and don't understand why Continentals and much of the world pokes fun at it. The portions are larger, the food more savory, and is filling. I like Britain, even if they have to put up with some muzzies beheading one of their soldiers on the street in broad day-light, all kinds of undesirable immigrants, and ceding much of their sovereignty to bureaucrats, politicians, and judges in places like Brussels, Strasbourg, and Luxembourg. And have to live with a Sovereign who is the world's largest drug-dealer continuing a grand tradition ( ;))
ps: you, or any Canadians, (or anyone I guess) happen to have a tip for a good book on the "Battle of the Plains of Abraham?" (In English and, ideally, one not too partisan?) Or, more generally, on the 7 Years War ('French and Indian War'?)