• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20131007 - Ghost Investigator Society - Paranormal Matter

Started by MV/Liberace!, October 07, 2013, 04:07:11 PM

Quote from: ziznak on October 09, 2013, 02:29:42 PM
I wonder if it's possible to record evp's underwater say at the titanic site? in a submersible?  There's gotta be so many pissed off unheard ghosts in the worlds oceans...

I knew a guy who has recorded a lot of bands, and he once used a couple of huge trash cans filled with water to get a room sound for drums he was recording. He put the microphones (I think that they were Shure SM57's or something) inside of condoms and then submerged the microphones into the water in the trash cans. I think that he used this when he was recording a Third Eye Blind record.

I knew another guy who does a lot of circuit-bending sort of stuff, and he actually uses contact microphones to somehow record the sound of ice cracking underwater and then he slows it down and fucks with it.

The underwater sound EVP thing could be there!

aldousburbank

Quote from: guildnavigator on October 09, 2013, 07:16:13 PM
I knew another guy who does a lot of circuit-bending sort of stuff, and he actually uses contact microphones to somehow record the sound of ice cracking underwater and then he slows it down and fucks with it.
With condom, or clean?

saucerlike

I read his (Eric Valentine, 3EB producer) Q&A including the "underwater" drums bit at gearslutz.  Really cool idea and great album. 

WOTR

Quote from: ziznak on October 09, 2013, 02:29:42 PM
I wonder if it's possible to record evp's underwater say at the titanic site? in a submersible?  There's gotta be so many pissed off unheard ghosts in the worlds oceans...
It kind of got me thinking how much further sounds travel underwater.  With the various mikes already in the water for projects something should have already popped up.  Can you imagine a Whale researcher listening to the mating calls and suddenly there is the eerie sound of 1500 people drowning and screaming or the sound of a crew being burned alive on one of the merchant ships in WWII?  Possibly the sounds of men going insane after their submarine was sunk and they are living in a little pocket of air until it runs out?  (I know, most EVP's are supposedly of a single talking spirit, but in my world, the ones lost in the ocean are trapped by the water to relive the last moments until the ship is raised or the bodies recovered...)

*** Perhaps people do not really go insane trapped in little air pockets... but in my world they do... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2340928/Fisherman-survives-60-hours-air-pocket-boat-capsizes-Nigeria.html

ziznak

I think the fact that we only hear EVP's from people that are "trying" to record them says a lot about this phenomenon.

onan

Quote from: ziznak on October 12, 2013, 02:56:27 PM
I think the fact that we only hear EVP's from people that are "trying" to record them says a lot about this phenomenon.

tough to beat that argument.

steelbot

Lets GO CARDINALS! bottom 5th - 1 NOTHING! YAYAYAYAYAYA and ...Booo! now top of 6th....

b_dubb

Quote from: ziznak on October 12, 2013, 02:56:27 PM
they're looking for them. they sit and listen to hours of nothing and when the occasional anomaly occurs try to determine what's being heard. I'm a skeptic but some of the evp's are interesting

onan

Quote from: b_dubb on October 12, 2013, 05:02:35 PM
they're looking for them. they sit and listen to hours of nothing and when the occasional anomaly occurs try to determine what's being heard. I'm a skeptic but some of the evp's are interesting

Seems to me there would be some conversations, somewhere along the line, that dealt with really conversing. Or, perhaps something along the line of: "Hey my name was Bob Smith, from Boinkville, can you tell the preacher he doesn't have it quite right?

FallenSeraph

So I'm just now getting around to listening to this show (sorry), and I want to give Art a huge hug for politely refusing to call that guy Chunga.

I haven't gotten very far â€" just far enough to hear a dude who changed his name to Jimmy Chunga (NO BARBARA â€" WAHHHH!) and something about getting punched in the buttcheek. I'm trying so hard to refrain from calling this guy a douche.

Tarbaby

Quote from: onan on October 12, 2013, 06:27:26 PM
Seems to me there would be some conversations, somewhere along the line, that dealt with really conversing. Or, perhaps something along the line of: "Hey my name was Bob Smith, from Boinkville, can you tell the preacher he doesn't have it quite right?

I've thought about that issue from time to time, how these people have to spend HOURS listening to NOTHING. But then he cleared that up on that last program, they use a spectrum analyzer to scan the recordings for any signs of sound and then focus in on it. That would make it much easier.

I'm, I guess, even beyond skeptic. I think it's totally bogus. Why would ghost voices have echo? How would they even possibly reproduce a voice sound which is modulated vibrations in the air that register on the ear to produce "sound" in the brain (which is the brain's ability to interpret nerve data? It just doesn't make any sense at all except superstitious nonsense. Or outright hoax.
   I am considering trying it myself but I don't want to spend 10 hours  LISTENING to blank recording hiss. I don't have a spectrum analyzer set up.

Cynnie

Quote from: Seraphim27 on October 12, 2013, 10:13:58 PM
So I'm just now getting around to listening to this show (sorry), and I want to give Art a huge hug for politely refusing to call that guy Chunga.

I haven't gotten very far â€" just far enough to hear a dude who changed his name to Jimmy Chunga (NO BARBARA â€" WAHHHH!) and something about getting punched in the buttcheek. I'm trying so hard to refrain from calling this guy a douche.

But douche is alllll you can think of when you hear him talk ..right ? Right ?

FallenSeraph

I don't remember exactly when the first GIS appearance on C2C was, but I was listening to it that night. I had never heard of EVPs before that. They blew my mind. Real, fake or whatever, I thought it was fascinating. I'm a journalist who often records my interviews with sources, and the GIS completely changed the way I listened to those recordings. Even to this day when I'm transcribing notes, there'll be some part of me that's hoping to hear an EVP in there somewhere. I started seeking out other people who had recorded them and made some really cool and fascinating friends. Hung around with a few paranormal investigation groups before the SyFy Channel had ever even conceived of it. Went on a bunch of road trips to supposedly haunted places. I owe a lot of really awesome memories to the GIS, just for making me say, "Hey - I wanna try that!"

I think, out of all of Art's guests â€" and I've been listening to him since 1994 â€" the GIS has had the biggest impact on me in terms of fueling my imagination and sparking an interest. It sounds really dorky, but it's true.

So I was GIDDY when I read that Art was having the GIS on Dark Matter. And then along came an asshat named Chunga.

To me, adding a publicity-hungry douche like Chunga to the GIS is like, well, effing up C2C with a clown like Noory.  >:(

Some of those recordings baffled me with their really fake nature. Like the "I watch you when you sleep" thing. I really want to believe that's real but . . . I . . . just . . . can't . . . argh!

Maybe I'm just getting old. :(

smitty9999

The GIS website, ghostpix.com, have the members listed and Chunga is nowhere to be seen.

http://www.ghostpix.com/index-6.htm

GIS Members:

Barry Boris

Barbara McBeath

Roger McBeath

Jenny Cook

Brendan Cook

Quote from: Seraphim27 on October 13, 2013, 08:54:41 AM
I don't remember exactly when the first GIS appearance on C2C was, but I was listening to it that night. I had never heard of EVPs before that. They blew my mind. Real, fake or whatever, I thought it was fascinating. I'm a journalist who often records my interviews with sources, and the GIS completely changed the way I listened to those recordings. Even to this day when I'm transcribing notes, there'll be some part of me that's hoping to hear an EVP in there somewhere. I started seeking out other people who had recorded them and made some really cool and fascinating friends. Hung around with a few paranormal investigation groups before the SyFy Channel had ever even conceived of it. Went on a bunch of road trips to supposedly haunted places. I owe a lot of really awesome memories to the GIS, just for making me say, "Hey - I wanna try that!"

I think, out of all of Art's guests â€" and I've been listening to him since 1994 â€" the GIS has had the biggest impact on me in terms of fueling my imagination and sparking an interest. It sounds really dorky, but it's true.

So I was GIDDY when I read that Art was having the GIS on Dark Matter. And then along came an asshat named Chunga.

To me, adding a publicity-hungry douche like Chunga to the GIS is like, well, effing up C2C with a clown like Noory.  >:(

Some of those recordings baffled me with their really fake nature. Like the "I watch you when you sleep" thing. I really want to believe that's real but . . . I . . . just . . . can't . . . argh!

Maybe I'm just getting old. :(

It's not just you. Most of us were pretty bummed out about it.

WOTR

Quote from: Seraphim27 on October 13, 2013, 08:54:41 AM

I love your story... what a great way to open your mind and send you off on a new path... 

If you look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Ghost_Story you will find the segment of the show that Chunga "starred" in was entitled "Demonic voice" and the episode was "it watches me while I sleep."  While I do believe in coincidences, I am not sure I can believe that this is one...  I want to believe... but I think that Chunga found a "spooky" phrase and ran with it.

Well, either that or the spirit on the other side was reading Chunga's film credits.

Queen

Quote from: smitty9999 on October 13, 2013, 09:18:16 AM
The GIS website, ghostpix.com, have the members listed and Chunga is nowhere to be seen.

http://www.ghostpix.com/index-6.htm

GIS Members:

Barry Boris

Barbara McBeath

Roger McBeath

Jenny Cook

Brendan Cook

I wonder if chunga is Barry this jimmy guy has a radio show and he couldnt use his real name maybe? i dunno. odd.

smitty9999

Quote from: NIN2 on October 14, 2013, 02:32:12 AM
I wonder if chunga is Barry this jimmy guy has a radio show and he couldnt use his real name maybe? i dunno. odd.

No.  I recall from earlier interviews with Art, Brendan and Barbara that Barry was the only person in the group not married to another member.  They jokingly called Barry the "odd one out". He's definitely not Chunga.

My question to all: Are all of the recordings faked?
Chunga may be a fraud.. but does this besmirch the entire set of voices?
What say you BellGabbers?

lonevoice

Quote from: NIN2 on October 14, 2013, 02:32:12 AM
Chumlee's real name is Brett Smith.  If you do a google search on Jimmy Chunga AKA Brett Smith you can find more info.

Heather Wade

Quote from: HorrorReporter on October 14, 2013, 01:19:10 PM

My constant thought is that these could be faked.  How?  Idk, a person far away from the mic?  Close to the mic?  Speaking a short, creepy phrase through a walkie-talkie strategically placed out of sight?  But then, there are sounds like water, the movement of feet, and other sounds not from speech.  Could it be merely staged?

Especially the Spirit Box.  It's a cool device, but I don't trust it.  Couldn't someone broadcast voices from the very band the box is scanning, and say whatever they want? 

It is a fascinating subject.  Everytime I hear the evp's, I wonder how they are 'created'.   :D

Quote from: HorrorReporter on October 14, 2013, 01:19:10 PM

Here's another one: You are sitting in a small cafe that serves food. You order steak, potatoes, and two eggs. The chef is in plain view from your table. During the course of preparing your food, you notice that he removes some potatoes from the trash can and places them onto your plate. You didn't see the steak or eggs come from the trash. Do you eat the steak and eggs?

HELL NO, BELLGABBERS.

jazmunda

Quote from: guildnavigator on October 14, 2013, 06:55:01 PM
Here's another one: You are sitting in a small cafe that serves food. You order steak, potatoes, and two eggs. The chef is in plain view from your table. During the course of preparing your food, you notice that he removes some potatoes from the trash can and places them onto your plate. You didn't see the steak or eggs come from the trash. Do you eat the steak and eggs?

HELL NO, BELLGABBERS.

How is the steak prepared? Rare, Medium, Well Done? What type of eggs? Scrambled, Fried, Poached? :P

Now you've made me hungry with all this delicious trash can food talk.

Seinfeld - That's Garbage

Only way I like to cook steak: rub with a drop of olive oil, a touch of fresh cracked black pepper, another touch of sea salt, and cook that fucker HOT for no more than 2 minutes on both sides, in cast iron. Medium-rare!!!

Sorry vegetarians!!  :(

Edit: didn't see the Eclair video at first, that's a classic! That joke came back for an encore reference years later on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

jazmunda

I love that clip.

Adjacent to refuse .... Is refuse.

I live by that.

Also love your way of cooking steak. I mix a combination of cracked black pepper, sea salt and garlic. Also cook it very hot and for about 2 minutes.

I hate ordering medium-rare at a restaurant and getting a well done. I would send it back if I wasn't deathly afraid of what those bastards do to returned food.

I too am very afraid to send back my food when there's something wrong with it.

FallenSeraph

Quote from: wotr1 on October 14, 2013, 12:20:28 AM
Well, either that or the spirit on the other side was reading Chunga's film credits.

Laughter :)

Anybody else here remember an old set of EVPs Art played around 1995 that were recorded in the Austrian mountains? The voice was saying something about "chapters in a book."

alleyrulez

Quote from: saucerlike on October 12, 2013, 11:43:26 AM
I read his (Eric Valentine, 3EB producer) Q&A including the "underwater" drums bit at gearslutz.  Really cool idea and great album.

Eric Valentine, who used to be in T-Ride?

haven't bothered to read this thread, as it is well known that most AB fans don't really dig the G.I.S.

I respectfully disagree, I LOVE their shows.

carry on.