• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your thoughts on the caller driven, annual Ghost 2 Ghost shows..

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, April 18, 2008, 12:39:31 PM

puddintame

I agree with "ArtBellFan" above (early in this thread).     No one will ever come close to Art's talent with unscreened open lines, no matter what the subject area might be.  I think G2G shows were some of his very best efforts.  I thought that The Snore tried to do it last Halloween?  I wrote to him and the producers asking why they didn't have Art do it as it was his personal invention and baby to begin with.  I got back a brief snerdy snarky email that said they had it all set and were going to handle it (with a between-the-lines flying fickle finger aimed at my audacity). I least appreciate the New Years predictions, even if they are handled by Art. What an endless bore of callers trying hard to get on the air.  The idea of four hours of open lines (God forbid unscreened) would really put old Snoory back in his underground cave lair permanently!  He just plain old couldn't handle it.  Even his "Open Lines Friday" have a lot of guests to help him squeak through!

I'm honestly not a big fan of the Ghost to Ghost episodes. Maybe it's because I've had many of my own intense experiences with "ghosts" that the majority of the stories don't frighten me or come off as boring to me. Although most scary stories and movies don't phase me either so it's nothing against Art. I also tend to zone when a string of callers get on just to hear their own voice. There is a riveting story from time to time but it's just not my thing.

puddintame

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on June 05, 2010, 06:29:06 AM
I'm honestly not a big fan of the Ghost to Ghost episodes. Maybe it's because I've had many of my own intense experiences with "ghosts" that the majority of the stories don't frighten me or come off as boring to me. Although most scary stories and movies don't phase me either so it's nothing against Art. I also tend to zone when a string of callers get on just to hear their own voice. There is a riveting story from time to time but it's just not my thing.

No problem.  Thank goodness I have had only one ghost experience of my   own and it wasn't a really big deal.  I was sleeping in an add-on   room (porch?) when I heard someone walking around.  Then I heard both my Gram   and my Aunt both snoring loudly from their respective bedrooms.  They   were the only live beings that I knew were around.  I covered up my head   and worked hard at getting back to sleep.

During this time, Gram   and Aunt were living in a rental home while waiting for their new place   to be ready.  They swore they had a ghost who made toast out in the   kitchen in the evening while they were watching TV.  They could hear   it--first the lever pushed down and then, ka-ching! the toaster went   back up like the toast was done.

My Aunt also saw a ghost cat who   slept on the end of the couch.  Whenever she noticed it, it would jump   down and cut around the corner into another room.

Neither of   these older women had ever in my life time had these experiences before nor talked about any previous ones,   and didn't have any more after they moved out of that place.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: puddintame on June 05, 2010, 10:34:33 PM
Neither of   these older women had ever in my life time had these experiences before nor talked about any previous ones,   and didn't have any more after they moved out of that place.
that's amazing to think that "ghosts" (as we call them) would be limited to specific physical locations which exist in our "dimension."  that forces one to reach a number of conclusions when considering this phenomenon.

I tend to think they're almost psychic punches in time. For instance in a hectic or traumatic moment in someone's life, they're going to have a profound psychological and spiritual (I hate to use that word) occurrence. I think some instances those can some how loop or replay for some reason. For instance in my youth, we would go to an abandoned insane asylum quite often and hear metals close, loud banging, old radio broadcasts, and other things that seem indicative of another time period. Although this theory doesn't account for a lot of what the GIS picks up, but some stuff does seem like that. I think there's many types of activity that we would associate as ghosts though. Anyway that's my two cents.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on June 07, 2010, 02:48:23 AM
I tend to think they're almost psychic punches in time. For instance in a hectic or traumatic moment in someone's life, they're going to have a profound psychological and spiritual (I hate to use that word) occurrence. I think some instances those can some how loop or replay for some reason. For instance in my youth, we would go to an abandoned insane asylum quite often and hear metals close, loud banging, old radio broadcasts, and other things that seem indicative of another time period. Although this theory doesn't account for a lot of what the GIS picks up, but some stuff does seem like that. I think there's many types of activity that we would associate as ghosts though. Anyway that's my two cents.
where is the asylum you investigated?

Western State Hospital
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_State_Hospital_%28Washington_State%29

http://

(these people aren't me, these are people that just tagged along with all the groups of people I was bringing back in the day)

QuoteTacoma - Lakewood - The Old Western State Sanitarium -Feelings of being watched, panic and sadness. On some rainy foggy night when the Moon is full, you can hear moans and footsteps in the late to early morning hours. Believed to be patients that once were institutionalized there. That place is in ruins now but there remains and boiler room underground that is where most the sounds are heard. The fence around also shakes when no one else is with you.

Crazy place (ha!) I've been there several dozen times in my life. Every time I went something ridiculous happened. I've visited virtually every haunted place in Western Washington and Western State was by far the most active frightening place I've ever been. Unfortunately they tore it down a year or so ago because so people were going there and it was becoming a hot spot for trouble. I could write a book about my experiences there. Some highlights, a high security prison unit for the criminally insane is still there across the lake, I was there one night when a prison break was going on.

Cool sites about Western State
http://axgxhxoxsxt.tripod.com/photos/id30.html

wessjester

i just got a friend into coast to coast am , i knew the best way would be to have him listen
to a ghost to ghost am , and it worked ! yeah !

ghost to ghost am rules !!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wessjester on August 02, 2010, 11:17:30 PM
i just got a friend into coast to coast am , i knew the best way would be to have him listen
to a ghost to ghost am , and it worked ! yeah !

ghost to ghost am rules !!!
i always felt the same way.  to me, art bell was ghosts first, everything else second.

wessjester

i have a question , does the Halloween ghost to ghost come on Halloween after 12 "technically the day after "(A) ?

or does it play Halloween eve "technically Halloween early morning" (B) ?
sorry for be 'n so confusing but i have never listened to it live only recordings
and i don't want to miss it live this 2010 , hope i can understand your answer (A) or (B) ?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: wessjester on August 04, 2010, 06:26:21 PM
i have a question , does the Halloween ghost to ghost come on Halloween after 12 "technically the day after "(A) ?

or does it play Halloween eve "technically Halloween early morning" (B) ?
sorry for be 'n so confusing but i have never listened to it live only recordings
and i don't want to miss it live this 2010 , hope i can understand your answer (A) or (B) ?
usually it is on the nights of october 30 and 31.  however, art would occasionally throw ghost to ghost into the mix right in the middle of the year.  i have a couple in my library from april and other months.

gerogeeatsit

I used to love G2G...then Snoory took over.

When Art hosted G2G, I used to make it part of my Halloween plans to get home from trick or treating, get the kids to bed, and settle in with my headphones to listen and play games on the computer while I did so.  It was so much fun!  Then George had to ruin everything.

Some of those shows were the scariest of the year.  However, I remember one night being woken up and terrified as a caller was telling Art about seeing his dead grandparents at the end of his bed.  It never bothered me that George seemd to focus mostly on the paranormal/ghosts.  I relished it.  I loved his unscreened open lines, especially when they gleaned a jewell for furture show topics.

JC..I loved that.  There was one evening when Art was like "JC I every time I squat down I think of you!" LOL!  Open lines were the greatest.  I was listening when the pilot was flying over area 51.  I was listening when a crazy sounding caller claimed he was on the run and he 'didn't have much time' and the line went dead.  Those were classic moments, IMO.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: gerogeeatsit on August 05, 2010, 09:21:02 PM
It never bothered me that George seemd to focus mostly on the paranormal/ghosts.  I relished it.  I loved his unscreened open lines, especially when they gleaned a jewell for furture show topics.
i believe you meant art?

gerogeeatsit

Yes.  Thanks! LOL!  Sheesh.  My mind moves faster than my fingers.   :P

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: gerogeeatsit on August 05, 2010, 09:28:57 PM
Yes.  Thanks! LOL!  Sheesh.  My mind moves faster than my fingers.   :P
haha, no prob.  couldn't let that one go by without jumping in for the save.

analog kid

Quote from: gerogeeatsit on August 05, 2010, 09:21:02 PMI was listening when a crazy sounding caller claimed he was on the run and he 'didn't have much time' and the line went dead.  Those were classic moments, IMO.

That whole show was just a little too perfect. Not saying the callers were scripted per se, but it makes me wonder when I listen to that one. Audio from that guy was used in this weird Tool song.

anomalies

I don't usually listen to it.  When I do, there is a mixture of interesting, silly and stupid stories.  So, I usually don't listen for the next couple of years.

Plus, the host is usually Art Bell.  Not crazy over him.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: analog kid on October 17, 2010, 07:19:48 AM
Quote from: gerogeeatsit on August 05, 2010, 09:21:02 PMI was listening when a crazy sounding caller claimed he was on the run and he 'didn't have much time' and the line went dead.  Those were classic moments, IMO.

That whole show was just a little too perfect. Not saying the callers were scripted per se, but it makes me wonder when I listen to that one. Audio from that guy was used in this weird Tool song.
that guy called in a couple weeks later and admitted faking it.

analog kid

Quote from: MV on October 17, 2010, 05:05:03 PM
Quote from: analog kid on October 17, 2010, 07:19:48 AM

that guy called in a couple weeks later and admitted faking it.

He was definitely a fake, but the whole show felt like a production...

Quote from: MV on October 16, 2010, 01:36:01 AM
Quote from: NIN on October 15, 2010, 11:19:43 PM
Art Bell hosts this years Ghost To Ghost woooot
I hope his heart is in it this time.

I'll second that.  It is painful to listen to Art sometimes when he has hosted in the last couple years.  Maybe our expectations are too high or something........ Nahhh, there is definitely a difference between how is is now and how he used to be.

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on October 17, 2010, 08:47:14 PM

I'll second that.  It is painful to listen to Art sometimes when he has hosted in the last couple years.  Maybe our expectations are too high or something........ Nahhh, there is definitely a difference between how is is now and how he used to be.

Again, I have to bring up the issue of the DUMBED DOWN AUDIENCE. Yes, Art seems bord.  Yes, I wish he seemed more in the game - but one of the reasons he was as good as he was, is that he had sharp callers.  He could get some energy transfer going, and not have to pull everyone's weight himself.

Is Art different?  Sure.  It's just that I think that's only 1/2 the story.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: EvB on October 27, 2010, 08:55:05 PM
Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on October 17, 2010, 08:47:14 PM

Again, I have to bring up the issue of the DUMBED DOWN AUDIENCE. Yes, Art seems bord.  Yes, I wish he seemed more in the game - but one of the reasons he was as good as he was, is that he had sharp callers.  He could get some energy transfer going, and not have to pull everyone's weight himself.

Is Art different?  Sure.  It's just that I think that's only 1/2 the story.

I'm looking forward to hearing him.

One thing I was wondering was, did the callers submit perspective ghost stories before on prior Halloween ghost to ghost shows when Art was hosting, or were they "cold calls"?  I think I remember that he did pre-screen to some extent.  If he did, I have not seen any links or e-mail addresses to send your ghost stories into. 

What I fear most, is that with the present level of callers on some evenings, they will take their ghost stories also to the lowest common denominator. 

It seems that even George would pre-screen or try to obtain a a certain number of callers who had their stories in-line ready to go by sending their stories into an e-mail address.  I really think that George did allright, but if Art does not do some preliminary homework on this project his ghost to ghost show will be scarrrrrry and not in a good way.     

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on October 27, 2010, 09:40:21 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing him.
me too.  and in particular, i'm looking forward to another appearance with the ghost investigators society.

ringthane

One thing I was wondering was, did the callers submit perspective ghost stories before on prior Halloween ghost to ghost shows when Art was hosting, or were they "cold calls"?  I think I remember that he did pre-screen to some extent.  If he did, I have not seen any links or e-mail addresses to send your ghost stories into. 

I don't recall Art's G2G m.o. from his Pahrump days, but his calls are screened due to the ISDN lines he uses in Manilla. My question is, who screens them? Does it happen in Medford or LA? And does Art and a producer work on a pre-show gameplan?

And did I hear correctly tonight that George said he'll be gone for a week after the 10/29 G2G show w/Art? It sounds like Snoory's out until Nov. 7.

Stevenqbosell

Quote from: ringthane on October 28, 2010, 01:39:56 AM
...And did I hear correctly tonight that George said he'll be gone for a week after the 10/29 G2G show w/Art? It sounds like Snoory's out until Nov. 7.

Great news!  Current C2C can now be in my talk radio rotation. Last time I listened to a George OL show, a while ago, I think I listened for 2 mins, then said to myself "this is bullshit,' and switched to sports talk. Good ole' Noory

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ringthane on October 28, 2010, 01:39:56 AM

I don't recall Art's G2G m.o. from his Pahrump days, but his calls are screened due to the ISDN lines he uses in Manilla. My question is, who screens them? Does it happen in Medford or LA? And does Art and a producer work on a pre-show gameplan?

And did I hear correctly tonight that George said he'll be gone for a week after the 10/29 G2G show w/Art? It sounds like Snoory's out until Nov. 7.
Calls are screened by Tom in LA.

ringthane

I obviously misheard, George is in all next week. At least we have Art this Friday and Sunday.