• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Strange Relationships

Started by Marc.Knight, February 19, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

ItsOver

That guy kind of reminds me of another creepy dude.  Hard to believe his buddy "Jack Tripper" is no mas.

Usagi

Quote from: Pragmier on February 19, 2013, 03:57:54 PM
I read somewhere that avg age difference of married couples recently increased from +/-3 years to close to 8. I wonder how these numbers compare to historical age gaps; I suspect the difference was huge in ye olden times.

That's an interesting question.  I'm sure your suspicion is accurate.  I wish I had the time to look into it; if you are anyone else does, it would be nice to post.

My husband and I have sizable age difference, but the only appreciable effect is that he has no appreciation for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I have no special love for the Electric Company.

Quote from: Pragmier on February 19, 2013, 03:57:54 PM

One big happy family.

What a cretin.  Both of them.

Pragmier

Quote from: Usagi on February 19, 2013, 04:37:10 PM

My husband and I have sizable age difference, but the only appreciable effect is that he has no appreciation for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I have no special love for the Electric Company.

I'm sure he's reminded you TEC spawned Morgan Freeman, aka God.

HAL 9000

Quote from: Marc knight on February 19, 2013, 02:59:45 PMMy post was just a random act of controversy.  Take it as you will.

Wow, Marc. Can't make a post around here anymore without someone "pounding their pud" as it were.

As I looked at all the pics, and read more about them, it just seems obvious to an average person with common sense that there is some degree of pathology happening here. But then again, for those for whom anything goes, who knows - maybe they have lots of cute little babies and live happily ever-after.

Eddie Coyle

Former Mrs Coyle was born in the Godfather era, while I was born in the Godfather II era. It was clearly a bridge too far in the long run :( . Or to use a Zeppelin reference, it was "Houses of the Holy" vs "Physical Grafitti".

BigDave

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2013, 10:06:21 PM
       Former Mrs Coyle was born in the Godfather era, while I was born in the Godather II era. It was clearly a bridge too far in the long run :( . Or to use a Zeppelin reference, it was "Houses of the Holy" vs "Physical Grafitti".

4-5 years isn't that bad. :D  In the late 90s when I was 32,I dated a girl from where I worked who was 18. I should have married Her,I wouldn't be in the shitty situation I'm in now ::)

coaster

I can understand why Pud thinks its acceptable, and it is. Nothing wrong with an age difference. I didnt say anything about him being a pervert, but its quite obvious hes taking advantage of her. Those Olson girls have been messed up since the Tanner days, and hes holding on to her in a very possessive manner in those pictures.

The General

Same here.  I'm a bicentennial baby and my wife was born in '90.
It works.

As for Mary Kate and her Friend here.... whatever.
They're adults. 

There are celebrity relationships that creep me out way more...
[attachimg=1]

analog kid

Quote from: coaster on February 19, 2013, 03:53:28 PM
Personally, I think she looks like the Crypt Keeper.

I resemble that remark.

Russle Brand is nightmare fuel.

analog kid

Quote from: BigDave on February 19, 2013, 10:30:48 PM

He looks like the Predator

He looks like one of the cenobites in hellraiser 2.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2013, 10:06:21 PM
       Former Mrs Coyle was born in the Godfather era, while I was born in the Godfather II era. It was clearly a bridge too far in the long run :( . Or to use a Zeppelin reference, it was "Houses of the Holy" vs "Physical Grafitti".
I like this.  Maybe we could change BC and AD to BZ and AZ.

Incidentally, Art Bell was born before Robert Plant, and his current wife was born in the "who the fuck are Led Zeppelin?" era. 

HorrorRetro

Quote from: analog kid on February 19, 2013, 10:34:57 PM
He looks like one of the cenobites in hellraiser 2.

Ugh.  Now I'm going to have that teeth clicking sound in my head all night.  But I do see the resemblance.

An Ode To: Chatterer

I'm six years older than my husband.  We've been together since he was 19 and I was 25.  It gets frustrating sometimes when he doesn't get certain cultural references, and I'm sure he feels the same way. I  watched Scooby Doo, and he watched Transformers.   My son-in-law is about a month older than my husband.  :o   Again, both him and my daughter make it work.  They get along great.  My MIL and FIL were 17 years apart.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on February 19, 2013, 10:49:45 PM
I like this.  Maybe we could change BC and AD to BZ and AZ.

Incidentally, Art Bell was born before Robert Plant, and his current wife was born in the "who the fuck are Led Zeppelin?" era.

I'm all for that(Zep formed 9/68, released first album 1/12/69, so we'll have to figure a set date). BTW, I think Airyn was born when the Firm were releasing their second album :o ...

coaster

Russell Brand is the reason why they opened up STD clinics.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: coaster on February 19, 2013, 10:57:37 PM
Russell Brand is the reason why they opened up STD clinics.
You forgot to put "parents" after Russell Brand's

HAL 9000

CAUTION: Adult language ahead.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on February 19, 2013, 10:53:57 PMI watched Scooby Doo, and he watched Transformers.

Hilarious... but...

You watched Scooby Doo, hubby watched Transformers... I watched Felix the Cat and Rocky & Bullwinkle. What the fuck does that make me... Galileo?

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

coaster

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2013, 11:01:21 PM
     You forgot to put "parents" after Russell Brand's
and yet the women love him. there something about a disease addled man with long hair that women cant ignore. damnit. i hate posting here while im inebriated, i look like a fool.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: coaster on February 19, 2013, 11:37:35 PM
and yet the women love him. there something about a disease addled man with long hair that women cant ignore. damnit. i hate posting here while im inebriated, i look like a fool.
It's gotta be his British accent. Has to be!  >:(

ItsOver

Quote from: HAL 9000 on February 19, 2013, 11:35:40 PM
CAUTION: Adult language ahead.

Hilarious... but...

You watched Scooby Doo, hubby watched Transformers... I watched Felix the Cat and Rocky & Bullwinkle.....

Ah, yes, the era of "Moose and Squirrel."  8)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: The General on February 19, 2013, 10:24:04 PM
Same here.  I'm a bicentennial baby and my wife was born in '90.
It works.

As for Mary Kate and her Friend here.... whatever.
They're adults. 

There are celebrity relationships that creep me out way more...
[attachimg=1]

Hi expression is like.. "look what I am going to eat tonight."

HAL 9000

Quote from: ItsOver on February 19, 2013, 11:41:31 PMAh, yes, the era of "Moose and Squirrel."  8)

And Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale - just doesn't get any better than that!  :) Brilliant cartoons

Marc.Knight

Quote from: HAL 9000 on February 19, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
Wow, Marc. Can't make a post around here anymore without someone "pounding their pud" as it were.

As I looked at all the pics, and read more about them, it just seems obvious to an average person with common sense that there is some degree of pathology happening here. But then again, for those for whom anything goes, who knows - maybe they have lots of cute little babies and live happily ever-after.

coaster

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2013, 11:39:36 PM
         It's gotta be his British accent. Has to be!  >:(
That has got to be the case. Do English women swoon over men with American accents? This confuses me. Would a southern drawl sound different than say, a bostonian accent to an English woman? drunken minds need to know.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: coaster on February 20, 2013, 12:05:47 AM
That has got to be the case. Do English women swoon over men with American accents? This confuses me. Would a southern drawl sound different than say, a bostonian accent to an English woman? drunken minds need to know.

I'd like to know too. I have a feeling that the women of the UK would find my Colin Quinn with tonsilitis accent just as annoying as women of the USA do.

Usagi

Quote from: coaster on February 20, 2013, 12:05:47 AM
That has got to be the case. Do English women swoon over men with American accents? This confuses me.

Doubt it.

Quote from: coaster on February 20, 2013, 12:05:47 AMWould a southern drawl sound different than say, a bostonian accent to an English woman? drunken minds need to know.

English people have an ear for that sort of thing.  From what I understand, if you are English, you can't help but to wear a label on your sleeve detailing your class, or school, or perhaps even your town/neighborhood/village simply from accent.  It's something you can't escape.  This might be an overstatement, but perhaps not.  Most Americans can barely differentiate Southern accents.

This is a fun site, though:

http://www.dialectsarchive.com/dialects-accents

BigDave

Quote from: Usagi on February 20, 2013, 12:16:34 AM
Doubt it.

English people have an ear for that sort of thing.  From what I understand, if you are English, you can't help but to wear a label on your sleeve detailing your class, or school, or perhaps even your town/neighborhood/village simply from accent.  It's something you can't escape.  This might be an overstatement, but perhaps not.  Most Americans can barely differentiate Southern accents.

This is a fun site, though:

http://www.dialectsarchive.com/dialects-accents

Some of the most twangy Southern accents that I've heard were from people from Virginia

HAL 9000

Quote from: BigDave on February 20, 2013, 12:25:49 AMSome of the most twangy Southern accents that I've heard were from people from Virginia

They don't drive cars there... they drive vee-hickles   

Sardondi

Quote from: Usagi on February 20, 2013, 12:16:34 AM
...Most Americans can barely differentiate Southern accents.

No one in Hollywood can, apparently. I don't think I've ever heard a remotely convincing Southern dialect from an American actor not born in the South. For one thing they're completely ignorant of the broad variety of accents in the South. (I'm going to be interested in looking at the link to see if it follows up on this). And they totally miss that Southern speech patterns were every bot as much a result of class and culture as the varieties found in Britain.

One of the simplest distinctions has to do with how people pronounced the letter "r" on the end of a word. For example, the English, who tended to be landed and wealthy, had "soft" r's, and located in eastern Virginia and the large coastal towns of Charleston and Savannah and environs. They would pronounce the word "corner" much like "cohnuh". (The "ou" sounds of Virginia are for intermediate students of dialect only.) The "Scots-Irish" were dirt poor, many relatively uneducated, and they had very "hard" r's. They settled inland on the frontier, where there was land available, particularly along the Appalachian and Smoky Mountains. They would pronounce tend to pronounce "corner" as "kornurrr".

American actors almost always ignore these distinctions when performing. It drives me crazy to hear four actors supposedly from the same Southern family in a movie sound as if one was from the Ozarks, another from East Tennessee, one from Tidewater Virginia and one from Augusta. These are some of the same actors who preen when speaking of how they lived in Devonshire for 6 months so they'd get their 5 lines of dialogue in Tess of The d'Urbervilles just right. But they wouldn't know that most Southern states have at least half-a-dozen distinguishable dialects, which affects how they pronounce the same word differently. It ultimately comes down to respect, and the actors' lack of study tells all you need to know.

BigDave

Quote from: Sardondi on February 20, 2013, 01:27:53 AM
No one in Hollywood can, apparently. I don't think I've ever heard a remotely convincing Southern dialect from an American actor not born in the South. For one thing they're completely ignorant of the broad variety of accents in the South. (I'm going to be interested in looking at the link to see if it follows up on this). And they totally miss that Southern speech patterns were every bot as much a result of class and culture as the varieties found in Britain.

On eof the simplest distinctions has to do with how people pronounced the letter "r" on the end of a word. For example, the English, who tended to be landed and wealthy, had "soft" r's, and located in eastern Virginia and the large coastal towns of Charleston and Savannah and environs. They would pronounce the word "corner" much like "cohnuh". (The "ou" sounds of Virginia are for intermediate students of dialect only.) The "Scots-Irish" were dirt poor, many relatively uneducated, and they had very "hard" r's. They settled inland on the frontier, where there was land available, particularly along the Appalachian and Smoky Mountains. They would pronounce tend to pronounce "corner" as "kornurrr".

American actors almost always ignore these distinctions when performing. It drives me crazy to hear four actors supposedly from the same Southern family in a movie sound as if one was from the Ozarks, another from East Tennessee, one from Tidewater Virginia and one from Augusta. These are some of the same actors who preen when speaking of how they lived in Devonshire for 6 months so they'd get their 5 lines of dialogue in Tess of The d'Urbervilles just right. It ultimately comes down to respect, and their lack of study tells all you need to know.

The worst Southern accents of all time were in the movie "Sargeant York". I spend a lot of time in Tennessee and I've never heard anybody talk like that!