• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What happened to C2C Bumper Music?

Started by GuerrillaUnReal, June 03, 2010, 11:42:21 PM

I am a Coast To Coast Fanatic (well... an Art Bell show fanatic) and one of my favorite things about C2C was the eclectic choice of music that fit the topic and the mood of the show so well. Plus as a 25 year old, a lot of C2C's music was music I hadn't heard before and it introduced me to some new stuff I like (MV's Bumper Music page is excellent) Also a lot of Art's music just flat out rocked. Ride My Sea Saw with the crazy guy reading the poem is one of my favorite openings of all time.

However now whenever I tune in, the music is all so painfully lame. It's slow whiny emotional music that sounds like something a depressed 50 year divorcee would listen to. I listen to C2C in my car at night (I'm a total night person) and the music is often so cringe worthy I have to change the station. I can't even make it to the horrible shill of a guest or Boory fumbling interviews.

I have a multiple paragraph essay in me on how Boory murdered C2C and rapes it's corpse every night with a laundry list of why I rarely listen anymore after being a devoted listener since I was in elementary school. However this is one of my main complaints.

What do you guys think?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on June 03, 2010, 11:42:21 PM
I am a Coast To Coast Fanatic (well... an Art Bell show fanatic) and one of my favorite things about C2C was the eclectic choice of music that fit the topic and the mood of the show so well. Plus as a 25 year old, a lot of C2C's music was music I hadn't heard before and it introduced me to some new stuff I like (MV's Bumper Music page is excellent) Also a lot of Art's music just flat out rocked. Ride My Sea Saw with the crazy guy reading the poem is one of my favorite openings of all time.

However now whenever I tune in, the music is all so painfully lame. It's slow whiny emotional music that sounds like something a depressed 50 year divorcee would listen to. I listen to C2C in my car at night (I'm a total night person) and the music is often so cringe worthy I have to change the station. I can't even make it to the horrible shill of a guest or Boory fumbling interviews.

I have a multiple paragraph essay in me on how Boory murdered C2C and rapes it's corpse every night with a laundry list of why I rarely listen anymore after being a devoted listener since I was in elementary school. However this is one of my main complaints.

What do you guys think?
you're dead on, and i don't know if i recall having seen this point articulated on this forum before.

i remember when snoors initially started hosting, the bumper rotation was entirely art's old rotation.  then, slowly, like some creepily metastasizing, silently encroaching cancer, we began hearing some really out of place shit.  i think there are a few reasons for this, among which are:

1) snoors is not actually a music fan.  sure, he might have a hi-fi in his posh LA apartment where 40-something, used up, saggy breasted, chain-smoking female coast fans come to service him... but any music he exposes himself to is merely there to serve as a sort of white noise background filler.  he likes to think he likes music.

2) taking into account reason one, the bumper rotation becomes of entirely peripheral importance for the 'stache during his nightly "execution" (use of that word was not accidental) of the show.  thus, the task of music selection is left to snoors' production crew, none of whom apparently know or understand the brilliance and mastery with which art used music to complement the aura of his creation.  art seemed to select and play every song with purpose and deliberation.  with snoors, you could be listening to a discussion of morgellon's disease (yay, another of THOSE shows), only to hear the segment lock out with boston's amanda.  wtf.

I'm glad you notice this too. It's like "That's horrible that the aliens kidnapped and gang raped you... let's go to a break!" and Devo's Whip It comes on.

Another thing that drives me crazy is how lazy Nooron is. He'll let his bumper music play for an interminably long time before speaking or just to send it to another thirty second spot. I can hear Noory stretching for time every time I listen. He probably only has to talk maybe seven minutes every half hour with all the commercials. And a lot of the time he sends it into a classic repeat of something in the last hour. It's like he doesn't even want to do the show.

EvB

They now sell though iTunes.  I've heard Ian say that he no longer gets to choose most of his bumps because - something to the effect that there were people with "other interests" in it. 

The songs are now chosen based on what they think will sell.  Or, perhaps there is another way they are monetized in advance - Is it possible that there is some kickback somewhere for choosing certain songs?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on June 04, 2010, 07:27:09 AM
"That's horrible that the aliens kidnapped and gang raped you... let's go to a break!" and Devo's Whip It comes on.
HOLY SHIT i got spittle on my new HTC incredible when i read this line!  haha, classic.

puddintame

You guys crack me up!
It will cost you the price of C2C's "Streamlink", but if there is a guest that I really want to hear, I listen on the replay.  That way I can fast forward through the "music" and Boory's comments and ads.  At under $7 bucks a months, it is worth it to me.  You can also go back and listen to other shows that Knapp or Punnett did or a classic Art show on demand.  No, I don't work for that crummy outfit.  I just suffer along with the rest of ya.

KnyeGuy

Yeah the bumper music has been sliding downhill...and worst of all, Noory still plays that UFO Phil slop.
I too was introduced to alot of good music I simply hadn't heard thanks to Art. Even if some of the songs weren't entirely my cup of tea, I would still enjoy hearing them in context with Coast.

Also, another thing that really annoys me with the bumper music is the fact that they TRY to match the music to the topic these days. Art never chose music to match the topics and was explicit about this decision to people who called in to recommend music to suit certain shows. This decision prevented the music from seeming cheesy as hell. It is just plain bad taste to play songs that fit the subject.

Supernormal

Did you notice that they play bumper music for longer amounts of time than they did in the past? I think that they came close to playing a whole song once or twice. "Red Rubber Ball" (not to be confused with a phrase from one of their prostate ads) comes to mind here. We'll likely hear more of this kind of filler since Noory evidently wants to spend less time talking with people.

Supernormal

Quote from: KnyeGuy on June 11, 2010, 02:11:45 AM
Yeah the bumper music has been sliding downhill...and worst of all, Noory still plays that UFO Phil slop.
I too was introduced to alot of good music I simply hadn't heard thanks to Art. Even if some of the songs weren't entirely my cup of tea, I would still enjoy hearing them in context with Coast.

I like the feel and mood of Art's songs. It seems like Noory's copping Art's bumper music (ABBA, etc.) just like he's imitating some of his verbal affectations. UFO Phil is the poor man's Weird Al Yankovic. The tune was cute the first (key word) time I heard it.

valdez

Quote from: Supernormal on June 13, 2010, 12:14:51 AM
Did you notice that they play bumper music for longer amounts of time than they did in the past? I think that they came close to playing a whole song once or twice. "Red Rubber Ball" (not to be confused with a phrase from one of their prostate ads) comes to mind here. We'll likely hear more of this kind of filler since Noory evidently wants to spend less time talking with people.
I despise that "red rubber ball" song. 

Hitech Lolife

I hate 'Blinded by the Light'. How anyone who listens to it doesn't hear 'wrapped up like a douche' in the lyrics I'll never know.

MABUSE

Quote from: Hitech Lolife on June 13, 2010, 06:41:17 AM
I hate 'Blinded by the Light'. How anyone who listens to it doesn't hear 'wrapped up like a douche' in the lyrics I'll never know.

Wait...
that ISN'T the lyric?
Well, there goes the only obviously idiomatically accurate piece of music the Gilded Turd has ever played...
**M**

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: valdez on June 13, 2010, 04:49:30 AM
it was actually written by simon and garfunkel.  i like it better when they perform it.

Supernormal

Quote from: valdez on June 13, 2010, 04:49:30 AM

That's a bad song to hate because they play it more than any other tune, and I think that they once played the whole song. I like it, but that could change if they use it too much. I'll start to mentally associate it with bad shows. The same phenomenon is taking place when it comes to my fascination with conspiracy theories and the paranormal. I'm linking them to Noory. It's like how some folks lose their appetites or sex drives when they link them with unpleasant thoughts. Noory is giving us that kind of Clockwork Orange treatment. We'll have to catch "Somewhere In Time" to fight it.

EvB

I do.  Always have.  A bit disturbing.

EvB

Quote from: MABUSE on June 13, 2010, 01:07:27 PM
Wait...
that ISN'T the lyric?
Well, there goes the only obviously idiomatically accurate piece of music the Gilded Turd has ever played...
**M**

hahaha!  Yeah, I think it's SUPPOSED to be "edition."

EvB

Silly me!

Blinded by the light.
Revved up like a deuce,
another runner in   the night.

Errrr . . . Well - "deuce" is slang for "devil" -- Still not getting it.

awguy

Also, another thing that really annoys me with the bumper music is the fact that they TRY to match the music to the topic these days. Art never chose music to match the topics and was explicit about this decision to people who called in to recommend music to suit certain shows. This decision prevented the music from seeming cheesy as hell. It is just plain bad taste to play songs that fit the subject.

I agree, I'm a radio producer and think the practice of matching bumper music to the topic being discussed is very lame. I can't quite put my finger on why but I just don't like it. There is the odd time when it works but 90% of the time I hear it, it's just lame.

Back in the late 90's when I was in my late teens and early 20's, Art Bell introduced me to a crap load of great music I had never heard. I have a great appreciation now for 60's and 70's music... mainly because of Art Bell. I've made 3 CD's of Art's bumper music and am currently putting together a 4th. Art knew not only to pick great songs, but songs that complimented his time slot. Songs that sounded great screaming out across the nighttime sky, many very eerie in nature. The prologue to Neil young's Crunchy Granola Suite gave my goosebumps every time Art played it going into a break.

Art picked all of his own bumper music. I'm guessing that none of the hosts have a big hand is this process now.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: awguy on July 16, 2010, 09:53:32 AM
I agree, I'm a radio producer and think the practice of matching bumper music to the topic being discussed is very lame. I can't quite put my finger on why but I just don't like it. There is the odd time when it works but 90% of the time I hear it, it's just lame.

Back in the late 90's when I was in my late teens and early 20's, Art Bell introduced me to a crap load of great music I had never heard. I have a great appreciation now for 60's and 70's music... mainly because of Art Bell. I've made 3 CD's of Art's bumper music and am currently putting together a 4th. Art knew not only to pick great songs, but songs that complimented his time slot. Songs that sounded great screaming out across the nighttime sky, many very eerie in nature. The prologue to Neil young's Crunchy Granola Suite gave my goosebumps every time Art played it going into a break.

Art picked all of his own bumper music. I'm guessing that none of the hosts have a big hand is this process now.
don't forget about the fine selection here.

I had never heard "Some Velvet Morning" until C2C. Love the song.

The General

Quote from: EvB on June 20, 2010, 10:34:50 AM
Silly me!

Blinded by the light.
Revved up like a deuce,

'Deuce' or Deuce coupe is slang for a '32 Ford.
I always thought they were referring to a 32 Ford.

Still sounds like douche though.  Douchey song, anyway.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: general jamison johnson on August 23, 2010, 10:29:34 PM
Quote from: EvB on June 20, 2010, 10:34:50 AM
Silly me!

Blinded by the light.
Revved up like a deuce,

Douchey song, anyway.
HAHA

punkinpie

Always sounded like "wrapped up like a douche" to me.

That's like "big ol' jet had a light on...don't carry me too far away"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: punkinpie on August 27, 2010, 12:23:42 AM
Always sounded like "wrapped up like a douche" to me.

That's like "big ol' jet had a light on...don't carry me too far away"
i used to think it was "big ol' carolina... don't carry me too far away."

i feel douchy to admit that.

Maybe I'm the only one but I have always liked the UFO Phil song. I think it is a rare piece of self aware, self deprecating humor on Norry's part. Or maybe I give too much credit, but I like it anyway. It reminds of the Nenslo classic, Take Me Off To Space.
http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/ears/soundz/10HOLE_HYMNS/X0079_TakeMeOffSpace.html

b_dubb

Quote from: EvB on June 20, 2010, 10:31:31 AM

I do.  Always have.  A bit disturbing.

blinded by the light ... wrapped up like a deuce until the middle of the night

i think the lyric is about partying way too much at night and then the morning comes and ... BAM ... pain.  but yeah that song sucks

I've seen it quoted as 'cut loose like a duece'.

Q

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on June 03, 2010, 11:42:21 PM

However now whenever I tune in, the music is all so painfully lame. It's slow whiny emotional music that sounds like something a depressed 50 year divorcee would listen to. I listen to C2C in my car at night (I'm a total night person) and the music is often so cringe worthy I have to change the station.

What do you guys think?

Well I think you're spot on.

Always loved hearing RMS as Art kicked things off - kind of electified the opening
and laid out the nights' vibe.

These days like so many others here I tend to find myself not listening addictively anymore
but rather choosing individual shows based on topic more than anything else.

As far as the bumper music goes - most of it these days are about as appetizing as a steaming bowl of shite... albeit
music may definitely in the ear of the beholder - that doesn't necessarily mean that my ears need this particular beholding.  ;)

Falkie2013

Am I the only one or is Noory's bumper music some of the worst musical selections that you've ever heard in your life ?

I'm not talking about Sinatra or stuff he uses that Art used to but songs by unGawdawful rock singers and submerged artists who may have come from sunken Atlantis or from the hole under the North Pole. I don't know where he finds these musical trolls he subjects US to each night.

Juan

His bumper music just seems to be music someone threw into the show.  It's unlike Art's music, which was an integral part of the show.  Bumper music is difficult to do correctly - and obviously far beyond the mediocre capabilities of the current Coast crew.