• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bakegab: The Bellgab Bakeshop

Started by Roswells, Art, May 06, 2019, 02:53:36 PM

pate

Ah,  Kahnstance and his decisions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcze7EGorOk

There is a wonderful Turkish(?) bread used at the German doner-kebabs for their "gyros."  Somewhere between a focaccia and something else.

Worth looking into...

-p

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 06, 2019, 11:56:12 PM
Nordical squirrel. ???
I was misquoted my be in one sentence but cannot edit. Long day. And will point out that, aside from the Red Squirrel situation in the UK, and my fondness for Rock Squirrels when they happen to find a home, I can assert, without equivocation, that I was happy a neighbor's puppy, not dog yet but on way, after HOURs of barking, and monitoring a tree, brought me a dead squirrel. When they asked me a few weeks ago to check on him (first time allowed in yard all day alone- could you please check on him.)

albrecht

Quote from: pate on October 06, 2019, 11:56:34 PM

There is a wonderful Turkish(?) bread used at the German doner-kebabs for their "gyros."  Somewhere between a focaccia and something else.

Worth looking into...

-p
All are good. But I, still, question: How does this type of "meat" happen? Whether gyros, doner kebab, etc? It is on a spit, up-right, sometimes with one of those red heat lamps that have been banned in cheap motels, still used for roast beef at buffets, but doesn't look like any type of real animal? Rendered, formed, than put up? But not casing like a sausage because large? And then chipped off? Weird. Tastes good but larger than an actual sheep or goat....so?

pate

Perhaps the other dark meat?

Nautical Shore that doner-kepab delivers.

I hear squirrel is delicious...

-p

ediot:  Srsly, though.  THe grill itself is an upright version of the traditional rotisserie, you load the "spit" with whatever meats you like, most anymore use chicken because it is cheap.  I would like to get one and alternate pieces of lamb and beef marinated to perfection.  I think they call it "schwarma" or somesuch.  Around hear it is easy to find chicken "schwarma" but increasingly difficult to find either beef or lamb "schwarma."  I think there is a place in the River Market that still does beef, and last thyme I tarlek'd to one of the tasty ladies working there she claimed they do lamb "schwarma" on occasion, but I think cost and customer tastes dictate that doesn't happen often.  As to the bread issue, I have never had a "proper" German-style doner-kebap in the CONUS.  Nautical Shore what the deal is with that.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pate on October 07, 2019, 12:36:50 AM
Perhaps the other dark meat?

Nautical Shore that doner-kepab delivers.

I hear squirrel is delicious...

-p

ediot:  Srsly, though.  THe grill itself is an upright version of the traditional rotisserie, you load the "spit" with whatever meats you like, most anymore use chicken because it is cheap.  I would like to get one and alternate pieces of lamb and beef marinated to perfection.  I think they call it "schwarma" or somesuch.  Around hear it is easy to find chicken "schwarma" but increasingly difficult to find either beef or lamb "schwarma."  I think there is a place in the River Market that still does beef, and last thyme I tarlek'd to one of the tasty ladies working there she claimed they do lamb "schwarma" on occasion, but I think cost and customer tastes dictate that doesn't happen often.  As to the bread issue, I have never had a "proper" German-style doner-kebap in the CONUS.  Nautical Shore what the deal is with that.

albrecht

Quote from: pate on October 07, 2019, 12:59:41 AM
answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOuk-6fRoA4

Cheers, Ably!

-p
Thanks, I also wondered about that. And the bonus is, later post-meal, one can use the device to torture your enemy or leave a "don't come back here" calling-card, so to say. So a win-win during various Turkish/Greek/Balkan/etc conflicts!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on October 07, 2019, 03:35:41 PM
Thanks, I also wondered about that. And the bonus is, later post-meal, one can use the device to torture your enemy or leave a "don't come back here" calling-card, so to say. So a win-win during various Turkish/Greek/Balkan/etc conflicts!

Aha, the muzzies finally show up in the baking thread!  Too bad I don't know how to make a croissant -- literally born at the gates of Vienna! -- because I'd love to read your historical reflections in that context.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 07, 2019, 04:26:43 PM
Aha, the muzzies finally show up in the baking thread!  Too bad I don't know how to make a croissant -- literally born at the gates of Vienna! -- because I'd love to read your historical reflections in that context.
Ha. Yes, another interesting tidbit is that it is claimed that the Nürnberg (Nuremburg) is the size it is because another "gate" incident. This time, apparently, due to the Plague one could not leave their houses so an enterprising butcher designed to fit through locks. A fine  sausage and nice town (where my handle is from.)   

ps: if you are asking me if to praise the Poles and King III Sobieski for saving Europe and Christendom, I will. But plenty of that in the "political" threads done by me already.  We need more leaders like him, Vlad, Charles Martel, El Cid, etc. Holger Dansk, AWAKE! And the Poles/Lithuanians always get the short-shift and sold out by greater powers even though they fought them (and even in modern times were responsible for Allies winning to a degree.)  These guys weren't a Pollock Joke.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on October 07, 2019, 07:19:01 PM
Ha. Yes, another interesting tidbit is that it is claimed that the Nürnberg (Nuremburg) is the size it is because another "gate" incident. This time, apparently, due to the Plague one could not leave their houses so an enterprising butcher designed to fit through locks. A fine  sausage and nice town (where my handle is from.)   

ps: if you are asking me if to praise the Poles and King III Sobieski for saving Europe and Christendom, I will. But plenty of that in the "political" threads done by me already.  We need more leaders like him, Vlad, Charles Martel, El Cid, etc. Holger Dansk, AWAKE! And the Poles/Lithuanians always get the short-shift and sold out by greater powers even though they fought them (and even in modern times were responsible for Allies winning to a degree.)  These guys weren't a Pollock Joke.

Plus they must repeatedly suffer the indignity of having their national bread, the babka, stolen from them by the wicked Jews and passed off as their own,like Pharaoh's daughter did with Moses in the bullrushes!

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 07, 2019, 08:19:41 PM
Plus they must repeatedly suffer the indignity of having their national bread, the babka, stolen from them by the wicked Jews and passed off as their own,like Pharaoh's daughter did with Moses in the bullrushes!
Take careful consideration. Some might think someone trying to provoke or troll (even though we both know those are bad fellows.) Let's talk aspic, instead of meeting at a crossroads! What form is best for tinned herring or ham? Would it be haram/not kosher to use aspic rendered from some species to preserve? Or only if other food item is considered verboten? Why is it sort of nasty, especially when, somewhat, inside headcheese? Or is that just modernity and too much thinking?

WOTR

Quote from: pate on October 06, 2019, 11:56:34 PM

Worth looking into...

-p

I'm trying to recall which movie used that song... Or was it the Animaniacs?  :(

WOTR

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 07, 2019, 04:26:43 PM

My bread book starts on page 141 with croissants and continues for half a dozen pages. It includes a version called "snail rolls" that you could dedicate to SV... Apparently the most important aspect are the ingredients. 100% wheat flour with W value of at least 220, P/L ratio of around .6 and enzymatic activity weak with a falling number value equal to or greater than 250 seconds... And the butter 15% moisture content at most.

It really does sound like these would require extensive research to make properly. (Hell, even finding the right flour would be a challenge as I'm sure the local supermarket does not handle specialty flour.)

Anyhow, I had no idea of the history behind them... Born of celebration when the bakers in Vienna under siege heard the Truks digging tunnels, reported it, and in turn caused the defeat of the Turkish army?  Quite the history for a humble yeast raised sweet dough...

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on October 07, 2019, 11:16:58 PM
Take careful consideration. Some might think someone trying to provoke or troll (even though we both know those are bad fellows.) Let's talk aspic, instead of meeting at a crossroads! What form is best for tinned herring or ham? Would it be haram/not kosher to use aspic rendered from some species to preserve? Or only if other food item is considered verboten? Why is it sort of nasty, especially when, somewhat, inside headcheese? Or is that just modernity and too much thinking?

Troll?  Me?  Surely you jest.

Actually recipe-stealing used to be big business.  Our own famous verdensbestekake (the recipe for which I think was, if not patented, at least protected so it had to be purchased) is basically a rip-off of a Polish (again, poor fellows!) cake named after Marie Walewska, Napoleon's mistress who supposedly negotiated with him for an independent Poland if I remember right.

I don't know too much about kosher but it would seem to me that, even in the case of fish aspic (like my favorite herring), you'd have to know what species were used to make it, since there are some bony, scaled fishes that are not kosher.  No doubt the rabbis have this all covered when they put their little K on things.

I think aspic was traditionally used with some soft, preserved meats and pies and such as a seal against oxygen and contamination so it kind of became traditional -- you still see it on pate, for example, for no good reason.  I don't have a problem with it, personally.

Quote from: WOTR on October 07, 2019, 11:46:36 PM
"snail rolls" that you could dedicate to SV...

I think he would better enjoy this churro.

K_Dubb

Quote from: WOTR on October 07, 2019, 11:46:36 PM
My bread book starts on page 141 with croissants and continues for half a dozen pages. It includes a version called "snail rolls" that you could dedicate to SV... Apparently the most important aspect are the ingredients. 100% wheat flour with W value of at least 220, P/L ratio of around .6 and enzymatic activity weak with a falling number value equal to or greater than 250 seconds... And the butter 15% moisture content at most.

It really does sound like these would require extensive research to make properly. (Hell, even finding the right flour would be a challenge as I'm sure the local supermarket does not handle specialty flour.)

Anyhow, I had no idea of the history behind them... Born of celebration when the bakers in Vienna under siege heard the Truks digging tunnels, reported it, and in turn caused the defeat of the Turkish army?  Quite the history for a humble yeast raised sweet dough...

Haha yeah that is the most famous story, probably a myth.  I don't think it's an accident, though, that, as you head east from Vienna, you get phyllo dough and then, in Turkey and down into the Levant, the fantastically elaborate forms of baklava with pistachios and rosewater that make the usual Greek-restaurant stuff (which the idiots insist on microwaving, turning it to mush) seem like peasant food -- that whole laminated-dough thing has an eastern feel to it.

You can buy gluten to supplement grocery-store flour -- I dump a little Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten in practically everything which makes the dough stretchier and hold more liquid so less flour is necessary.  For the sweet doughs I make I am always trying to get by with as little flour as possible.  I don't measure anything but I know when I overdo it the dough resembles rubber cement so the effect is perceptible, not just some mysterious take-it-on-faith thing.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 18, 2019, 11:30:57 PM
Not sure that cooking is allowed in the bakeshop, but here goes nothing.

Kimchee Fried Rice

There are a jillion different ways to make this dish.  Some people claim that no recipe is needed; for the Koreans, it's whatever is left over from the previous day fried up together (rice and kimchee always being present).  The following worked for me the first time through, which means it must be fairly idiot-proof.  The best part about it, though, was finding Gochujang in the Korean Market.  It's a spicy BBQ sauce that, I am told, does not have a substitute.  There's no English versions of anything in a Korean market, so I was stuck.  But, as it turns out, I still remember most of the Korean alphabet, though I have forgotten almost all of the Korean that I learned in school.  So I wrote it out on a piece of paper, in Korean, and then scanned around until I found it.  Overcoming adversity and winning!  Combine it with the recipe working out of the gate and I could barely stuff my dick back in my pants.   

Ingredients:

250 g of bacon   I buy the pork belly here and cut my own, thick slices (about 10mm) and then cut it into small pieces
500 g of [meat]   You can use whatever is on sale.  For me, that happened to be pork loin
one yellow onion
a bulb of garlic
2 cups of kimchee   Do yourself a favor and buy the homemade from a Korean store if you possibly can.
1/2 cup kimchee juice
cooked rice   3 cups of raw rice cooked in your rice cooker, or over the stove if you know how to do that
3 TB Gochujang
3 tsp sesame oil
soy sauce (low sodium version)
green onion   I got the giant green onion that is available here and got close to a cup out of it
eggs
sesame seeds

1)  In a large pot over medium heat, crisp the bacon to render out the fat and set aside.  Use the fat to brown the meat, then add the onion and garlic and cook through.  Add the kimchee and most of the kimchee juice (reserving some for taste adjustment) and cook until wilted (not mushy).

2)  Add the cooked rice, gochujang, sesame oil, green onion, and a bit of soy sauce (not too much if it is not low sodium as there are other salty ingredients), and mix together off heat.  Use kimchee juice, gochujang, and soy sauce to adjust to taste.

3)  Fry enough eggs to top each portion served, and garnish with the bacon and sesame seeds.  Tip: If you want a runny yolk, separate white from the yolk, start to fry up the white, and when it's almost done, ease out the yolk on top of the white.  In Korea, the egg is almost always fried over had with no runny yolk at all.

Kim Chee is fermented. Fermentation requires yeast. Yeast is used in baking. I say this is the right thread for it.

Thanks for the recipe. I was going to try to make Kim Chee once but wanted to do it in a ceramic crock like the authentic stuff but never got one so I never made it. I should have just used a large canning jar.

This might be a good gochujang recipe:

https://kimchimari.com/how-to-make-gochujang-at-home/

It looks great.

It's easy these days to find the spices you need online.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on October 08, 2019, 02:00:47 PM
Kim Chee is fermented. Fermentation requires yeast. Yeast is used in baking. I say this is the right thread for it.

Thanks for the recipe. I was going to try to make Kim Chee once but wanted to do it in a ceramic crock like the authentic stuff but never got one so I never made it. I should have just used a large canning jar.

This might be a good gochujang recipe:

https://kimchimari.com/how-to-make-gochujang-at-home/

It looks great.

It's easy these days to find the spices you need online.

What do you call a Filipino breakfast?

Whatever is left over from dinner with a fried egg on top.

Inspired by your post on the subject, I decided to once again trod that foresaken path to the making of a sourdough starter.  I even purchased a special 1.5 litre glass jar for the project ($1.75 at the Japanese market - sweet).

In went one cup of wheat flour.  Then i gently washed a bunch of grapes in a cup of water, and trusted that I had captured enough natural yeast that no more need be added. 

Within a couple of hours, the mixture had risen noticably and looked very promising.  I went to work with a song in my heart and a smile on my puss. 

When I got home, I was amazed to find that the mixture had more than doubled in size and looked very formidible indeed.  And even though there is a near-100% history that it would be followed by doing something that I later I regret, I was sportin' a proudy.

The regret part launched when I recalled what you said about your starter following Art to the grave.  An icicle of terror slipped into my heart as I imaged the death of both my starter and my erection before either could be put to satisfactory use.  I'll feed it!  You can starve it (Hi Roz!), but you can't feed it too early or too often, amirite?  No need to waste 60 seconds looking this up on the Internet.  The bony fingers of Art Bell are reaching up from the grave.  You must ACT, DPS!!

So i dumped another cup of flour and one more of water into the thing, a day early.  Within hours it burned itself out, leaving a pungent layer of prison hootch floating on top.  I chugged the hootch, beat off, and cried myself to sleep.

So what's the moral of the story?  This is YOUR fault, Art Roswells.  If you hadn't posted such  memorable and vivid imagery of the fate of neglected starter, I might* have acted more responsibly.

* pffflt.  Yeah right

pate

I made a sort of kimchi once.  A friend gave me a butt-load of kale, the red kind you use for smoothies.  I think she wanted me to make smoothies, but I decided that sauerkraut was more manly.

No idea how kimchi is traditionally made, but I basically made kale-kraut.  When it was done I tasted it and it was kinda bitter.  That's when I decided to make it into "kale-chi."

Have the recipe somewhere, as I recall I added a bit of rice wine vinegar and some spices then pressure canned it and let it sit for awhile.

When I opened a jar, it was awesome had a minty-bitter-hot thing going on.  Was great on a hot-polish dog for a company BBQ.

Recipe is a keeper for my dream restaurant someday...

-p

Quote from: pate on October 08, 2019, 05:18:41 PM
Recipe is a keeper for my dream restaurant someday...

Good call.  Sharing is for suckers, even in a thread where recipes and techniques are commonly shared.

pate

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 08, 2019, 07:12:48 PM
Good call.  Sharing is for suckers, even in a thread where recipes and techniques are commonly shared.

I could go dig up the recipe.  I doubt it could be replicated exactly the way I did it, my friend grew the kale herself so it's not like a store-bought item.  The concept is pretty simple:  make sauerkraut with kale instead of cabbage.  When the ferment is done, add some vinegar and spices that you like or think you might like.  Pressure can the concoction and let it marinate for a month or two.  Open and sample, if it's good:  keep doing what you did.  If it sucks:  throw it away...

I am already contemplating adding fresh mint leaves to the "kale-kraut" next thyme to make sure that the "mintiness" really pops.  If you like I can go dig up the recipe and you can try it yourself.

I am not afraid of sharing the idea, it worked for me, might not for anyone else.  I haz mad chef skillz, yo.

-p

DanTSX

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 08, 2019, 12:23:52 AM
Troll?  Me?  Surely you jest.

Actually recipe-stealing used to be big business.  Our own famous verdensbestekake (the recipe for which I think was, if not patented, at least protected so it had to be purchased) is basically a rip-off of a Polish (again, poor fellows!) cake named after Marie Walewska, Napoleon's mistress who supposedly negotiated with him for an independent Poland if I remember right.

I don't know too much about kosher but it would seem to me that, even in the case of fish aspic (like my favorite herring), you'd have to know what species were used to make it, since there are some bony, scaled fishes that are not kosher.  No doubt the rabbis have this all covered when they put their little K on things.

I think aspic was traditionally used with some soft, preserved meats and pies and such as a seal against oxygen and contamination so it kind of became traditional -- you still see it on pate, for example, for no good reason.  I don't have a problem with it, personally.

They make you pay for that.  It’s a hidden tax. 

DanTSX

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 16, 2019, 01:22:03 PM
That's your cultural gift to the world. We give you Shakespeare, Keats, Wordsworth, Byron. And then you bastards piss in our faces with McDonald's and Justin Bieber. Bunch of cunts.

Bieber is a leaf.  Not american.

We also gave you Wrestlemania, mass shootings, and defensive bulwark against Germany and later the soviets. 

WOTR

I absolutely love making sauerkraut. 25% red cabbage, 75% green... Add some caraway and some jalapeno peppers and salt.

So I decided to try my hand at Kimchee. I bought everything from my local Asian store and mixed to together. I then opened the jar of fermented shrimp paste. Yes... fermented (rotting) shrimp (seafood) left for a month under the tropical sun and then put through a grinder. It smelled exactly how you might expect.

I added a few scoops of this rancid, foul smelling paste to my fresh vegetables. And then I licked a tiny amount off of the spoon.

Where I used to like Kimchee, I can no longer stand it. I immediately identify the rotting fish taste and my stomach tightens in anticipation of an emergency purge.

My best advice is to avoid the Saeujeot- it is a waste product passed off as food.

DanTSX

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 08, 2019, 08:38:59 PM
Bagoong?  I use it as a garnish.
yeah that stuff is great

Use it sparingly and don’t smell it.

Basically treat it as you would a pungent hard cheese

Quote from: DanTSX on October 08, 2019, 08:41:27 PM
Basically treat it as you would a pungent hard cheese

Interact with it as you would with Sneddy Vindaloo.

DanTSX

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on October 08, 2019, 08:44:48 PM
Interact with it as you would with Sneddy Vindaloo.

I just add it to my báhn mi

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on October 08, 2019, 08:35:56 PM
I absolutely love making sauerkraut. 25% red cabbage, 75% green... Add some caraway and some jalapeno peppers and salt.

So I decided to try my hand at Kimchee. I bought everything from my local Asian store and mixed to together. I then opened the jar of fermented shrimp paste. Yes... fermented (rotting) shrimp (seafood) left for a month under the tropical sun and then put through a grinder. It smelled exactly how you might expect.

I added a few scoops of this rancid, foul smelling paste to my fresh vegetables. And then I licked a tiny amount off of the spoon.

Where I used to like Kimchee, I can no longer stand it. I immediately identify the rotting fish taste and my stomach tightens in anticipation of an emergency purge.

My best advice is to avoid the Saeujeot- it is a waste product passed off as food.

Jeez, as Norry might say. Red cabbage is always good (but will smell up the house) and I always enjoyed stories of a dad's making sauerkraut, cole-slaw, etc with big knives while meeting daughter's date. Almost as good as Hoppe's and a rag, just doing "routine cleaning."