• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

Scully

I thought it was just me that found this show a turnoff since it was both a Knapp night and a topic I like.  Guess not.

Saying that Knapp is a gentleman is putting the best construction on it, FG.  I wondered if he's been warned that today's agenda is to be super nice to nutty callers.  Also wondered if Noory's people set Knapp up with the callers last night.

The guest sounded scared out of his wits the whole show, and I thought if he cleared his throat one more time I'd scream.  Knapp was very professional and adept at interviewing, but the guest and the callers made it all smack of woo-woo crazy.  ???

Morgus

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 22, 2011, 10:11:59 AM
Star gates? Really? I'm so tired of this dumb show.
she was a jesus freak too, sucked into a stargate while speaking in tongues trying to get closer to Jesus she said.
she had a southern accent and has called in several times before to Noory.
Knapp at least asked her if anyone witnessed this event besides her, and she told him no that the people around her didn't see a thing.
He couldn't come up with any recommendations for her, perhaps he should have recommended a mental health professional?

Morgus

George Knapp did apologize at the end of the first hour, explaining a hot cup of coffee fell in his lap near the start of the show and might have made him sound a little off. ;)

valdez

Quote from: mbrown on August 22, 2011, 08:23:42 AM
Who is booking Knapp's shows?  man i usually can listen to his show no matter the topic but between the mentally ill callers and the totally boring guest about mothman...
Quote from: Michael Vandeven on August 22, 2011, 10:11:59 AM
Star gates? Really? I'm so tired of this dumb show.
Quote from: Scully on August 22, 2011, 02:44:18 PM
I thought it was just me that found this show a turnoff...The guest sounded scared out of his wits the whole show, and I thought if he cleared his throat one more time I'd scream. ..

Knapp had nothing to work with. Andrew Colvin was not ready for prime time, and whenever I hear that "nervous cough" I'm thinking the guest is full of crap. The main problem is the whole Mothman thing. Boring. Dumb name for a creature. Moths don't inspire fear or mystery. Enough with Mothman. Put him in the dead files with contrails (ugh!) and bigfoot.

Having the uncanny ability to decompose t-shirts
in eight months, or so.  Able to seek out and
crash into light bulbs with percision accuracy.
Kind of.

stevesh

That Andrew Colvin interview was strange. The guy obviously didn't have anything to say, despite George Knapp's heroic efforts to make something of the show. It was kind of like a bizarro world version of Noory's usual fare - smart, engaged host struggling with an inarticulate, unprepared guest. If the guy had been on with Noory, we'd have had three hours of dead air (oh, wait, that would be a good thing, wouldn't it ...).

Scully

Quote from: mbrown on August 23, 2011, 06:48:45 AM
LOL...no doubt...
But couldn't you hear that interview?  First of all sNoory would not have read the book...his first question would be, Do you think people are acting strange?  and then do you think Mothman could be an angel?  Do you think he could be a demon?  Is he a man or a moth? Does he call himself mothman?  how many do you think there are? Could he really be a butterflyman? You know I was just talking to alex jones about how the government might have created mothman in a lab somewhere.  you know i need to ask Dame to remote view mothman.  Wonder if they have mothmen near my new studios that Premier built in Hawaii for me.

RFLAO!  mbrown, you have got Noory nailed down fer sure!!!!  ;D

FM451

The Mothman show with George Knapp was a bit of a letdown. I love the topic, and still remember when the late John Keel discussed Mothman with Art Bell around 2002 (a tie in with The Mothman Prophecies movie). Knapp was fine; the guest just wasn't prepared or articulate. Too bad; this is a topic I'd rather listen to than the 'health" shows, or celebrity guests.

Lovely Bones

The good news: three (count 'em) Noory-free days in a row this weekend.

Knapp doing Friday's show with open lines, Ian on Saturday, and Sunday with Knapp again. 

Enjoy your NFD's, everybody. 

Quote from: Lovely Bones on August 26, 2011, 09:24:55 AM
The good news: three (count 'em) Noory-free days in a row this weekend.

Knapp doing Friday's show with open lines, Ian on Saturday, and Sunday with Knapp again. 

Enjoy your NFD's, everybody.

Halleloo!

Avi

A Recounting of Friday's Open Lines:

What, pray tell, is with these military wanna-bes? We had ‘Mike (“not my real name”) from NORAD’ with his “UFOs are here and possess Romulan cloaking technology” tale. Of course, military and ex-military listeners knocked him off, but to give him a credit, he didn’t sound as nutty as most of the following callers. The guy at the gun-range sure gets an A for consistency (he repeated his story without deviating, oh, about 20 times) but there he was, in situ, with a camera rolling, and he didn’t bother to record the phenomena he was calling to tell us about. Apparently, he goes to the gun range to shoot the moon. Of course, the other caller with a camera is taking pictures of UFOs, measuring thousands of miles across, using the sun as a filling station for energy â€" these objects can be seen with a camera, but not with the naked eye? Er, these objects, thousands of miles in diameter? A younster at the mall had the noive to heckle the caller’s UFO presentation, if you can imagine such a thing. There were a few tales of UFO sightings, glowing orange balls and such, and one guy who wanted to let the world know that Egyptian gods are hidden in the Bible, but Open Lines ended with callers, under the influence of David Icke, who were concerned about reptilians. After George delivered a long speech about the necessity of skepticism, and why these subjects require taking things with a small Siberian salt mine, to the first caller, the next whammied him with reptilians again, while George just laughed. You could hear him shaking his head.

During Open Lines, George was mostly quiet and always polite. I don’t know if it’s because he doesn’t know how to break in on these nuts, or if he’s been told not to do so. But yeah, I do hear Art in him.

Scully

Quote from: Avi on August 27, 2011, 03:42:52 AM

... During Open Lines, George was mostly quiet and always polite. I don’t know if it’s because he doesn’t know how to break in on these nuts, or if he’s been told not to do so. But yeah, I do hear Art in him.

Great post, Avi.  You sure got the details.  All I could have said about those callers is that they were mostly the usual "drunks and hoarders" who so often bob up from some deep dark pool of strange.

Knapp was great, but like you, I do wonder why he's is so reluctant to break in on the worst of them.  I feel like I'm holding my breath as I wait.

And if I were the host who got handed that frequent caller Moses fellow, screeners heads would roll. I'm sure I'm not the only one who recognizes his voice even before he starts his diatribe about the Bible and the Egyptian gods or whatever it was tonight.  ::)

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Scully on August 27, 2011, 04:19:15 AM

Knapp was great, but like you, I do wonder why he's is so reluctant to break in on the worst of them.  I feel like I'm holding my breath as I wait.

Seriously.  By the second time the "gun range" guy skirted the direction GK was headed (i.e., "WTF didn't you photograph the parting of the clouds???"), it was time to break in.  By the third, it was punishment for the audience. 

But I can't hold Knapp's feet to the fire the same way I would Snoory.  Knapp wil ultimately pull together an overview comment (as he did last night) that shows insight into the bigger picture while Snoory's still wandering around lost, trying to distinguish the forest from the trees.  All in all, last night was a listen-worthy C2C and the first 2 hours, especially, were finally not a waste of time IMO. 

Frys Girl

George Knapp is smart. This is just a side gig that boosts his overall UFO journalism. He doesn't take the callers seriously, but he does take the guests and interviews seriously.

I heard the show last night and I have to hand it to him. Great work.

Morgus

Quote from: Scully on August 27, 2011, 04:19:15 AMAnd if I were the host who got handed that frequent caller Moses fellow, screeners heads would roll. I'm sure I'm not the only one who recognizes his voice even before he starts his diatribe about the Bible and the Egyptian gods or whatever it was tonight.  ::)
yeah i recognized that guy immediately too. isn't he the same longtime caller who often brings up some name like melcheeseadek or something?  :o

Morgus

I liked how last night George Knapp got some interesting callers and let them tell their story in detail like the whistle-blower guy who let it slip the military and CIA uses a different term for "UFOs"
It was like the good 'ole days when Art would get Area 51 employees and other whistleblowers call in.

In contrast, Noory only gets lame dufus callers that thought they saw a ghost or demon. In the very rare instance he gets a good caller, he cuts them off after a minute and makes some inane comment.

I wanted to shoot several of the callers in the face last night, especially the gun range idiot and Reptilian boy.

Scully

Quote from: Morgus on August 27, 2011, 12:57:47 PM
yeah i recognized that guy immediately too. isn't he the same longtime caller who often brings up some name like melcheeseadek or something?  :o

You got it, Morgus.  :)

Lovely Bones

Quote from: mbrown on August 27, 2011, 12:07:36 PM

Would love to see snoory go away and let Knapp and Ian take over.

Your lips to God's ears.  Or PremRat's ears.  Let Snoory do late night TV infomercials for gold and turmeric and work at home pyramid schemes.   

Frys Girl

I just listened to Knapp's show on UFO subject avoidance by the media. He is soooooo good at hosting. He's so gracious and welcoming (not in a Mr. Rogers sense) but in a "come and sit by the fire way.

Once, during a broadcast, he said "put on a pot of coffee and wear something comfortable. This show is worth every minute." That coffee line always stuck with me. It's not groundbreaking, I know, but he really connects with people whereas Noory is like HIV.

Camper

I think George Knapp has the best intro to the show. It really sets the mood.

You're in the right place at the right time....

Broodwich

Friday nite Coast call-in shows are consistently the worst of the worst in my opinion, so I usually skip out, but I did tune in last Friday to catch George Knapp guest hosting and he was excellent as always. I thougt the NORAD caller was the highlight...sounded pretty credible but did he say F-4s were scrambled to intercept? If so, I'm fairly certain they are not used in the US anymore. Maybe he meant F-14s.

HAL 9000

Quote from: Broodwich on August 29, 2011, 10:42:01 PMI thougt the NORAD caller was the highlight...sounded pretty credible but did he say F-4s were scrambled to intercept? If so, I'm fairly certain they are not used in the US anymore. Maybe he meant F-14s.

F-14's were retired from the US fleet 5 years ago - ironically, the only country still flying them is Iran. The F-14 first flew ~41 years ago, and has been outdated for quite some time.

I didn't hear the call, so can't comment on the believability of the caller, but one ought to be more familiar with aircraft before commenting on types of aircraft that were scrambled. Maybe this call was from 15 years ago? (an Art Bell repeat show?) I am somewhat of a military buff and stay fairly current on hardware :)

Morgus

i believe that caller was telling about his experiences from decades ago, not recently.

Quote from: HAL 9000 on August 29, 2011, 11:11:07 PM
The F-14 first flew ~41 years ago, and has been outdated for quite some time.
That is hard to come to grips with  :(

Scully

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on August 30, 2011, 01:26:27 AM
That is hard to come to grips with  :(

And so is the sight of HAL 9000's brand new avatar! LOL.  ;D

Broodwich

The fighter jet scramble was in response to the "Phoenix Lights" episode from 1997...so yeah, like 15 years ago.

fysisist

GK's interview with John Schuessler on Sunday night was great, another journeyman performance.  I haven't listened to the rest of the show with Rojas and Huneeus yet, but I know Huneeus is an interesting guest.  Schuessler brought out some information that I had not heard before re the Cash-Landrum case.  I wasn't aware of the extensive involvement of MUFON in seeking treatment and assistance to the witnesses.  Also the corroborating evidence in the form of the numerous other sightings of a craft or light in the sky and also the military helicopters.  Great work by GK. 

Morgus

Quote from: Scully on August 30, 2011, 03:23:00 AM
And so is the sight of HAL 9000's brand new avatar! LOL.  ;D
very scary. apparently the ghost of Fort Rock is back and possessing other members now?  :o

HAL 9000

Quote from: Broodwich on August 30, 2011, 06:31:54 AM
The fighter jet scramble was in response to the "Phoenix Lights" episode from 1997...so yeah, like 15 years ago.

Roger that - makes more sense now...  I entered Noorvana by not listening to Snoory since December 21, 2008 (may have been 2009)

In any event, Navy jets would never be scrambled under almost any circumstance - would certainly be more like F-15'S, F-16'S, possibly F-22's (though F-22's have never flown a single combat sortie, cost nearly $450 million per plane, and have been grounded since early May for O2 delivery problems)

Bosco

Quote from: Morgus on August 30, 2011, 01:15:59 PM
very scary. apparently the ghost of Fort Rock is back and possessing other members now?  :o

I just noticed that...still laughing.