• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George is heating up....

Started by IvannZ, September 07, 2011, 10:34:53 AM

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 12, 2011, 05:44:31 PM
I definitely agree. Some people here and elsewhere have stated that the paranormal theme has run its course...

George Noory said that.  Probably as a way of both excusing his crap ratings and as a way to explain why he does the stupid, non-paranormal, topics.  Were the others just quoting him?

George:  'Bwut, we're still gunna do thuh fun stuff sumtimes..'

If the paranormal has run it's course then only Noory is too blame. Who is out there right now with a shred of credibility to them? Noory still kissing the ass of known charlatains. Sean David Morton for example...There is no wonder nobody takes this topic serious anymore. Maybe that was the whole plan all along. Hell, Noory is on the nationwide history channel or whatever being presented as a paranormal expert all of the time. The only thing Noory qualifies as being an expert on is being a dumbass. He has a fricken doctorate in dumbass and he probably smells like an Old Spice mothball.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on October 14, 2011, 01:44:38 AM
If the paranormal has run it's course then only Noory is too blame. Who is out there right now with a shred of credibility to them? Noory still kissing the ass of known charlatains. Sean David Morton for example...There is no wonder nobody takes this topic serious anymore. Maybe that was the whole plan all along. Hell, Noory is on the nationwide history channel or whatever being presented as a paranormal expert all of the time. The only thing Noory qualifies as being an expert on is being a dumbass. He has a fricken doctorate in dumbass and he probably smells like an Old Spice mothball.

Didn't Knapp have a program not too long ago about how the media were used post-Roswell to discredit the idea that UFO's existed? 

Maybe Noory is being used to help discredit the full range of paranormal inquiry.  Placing the paranormal alongside the baking soda and maple syrup cancer cure sure doesn't help. 

kf5iwe

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on September 08, 2011, 07:07:58 PM
Are you, or have you ever been, associated in any form with the
"Canadian Legion" as referred to and studied by J.C. Webster III?
That's right, J.C. warned us about you. HOW DARE YOU?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Lovely Bones on October 14, 2011, 07:22:40 AM
Didn't Knapp have a program not too long ago about how the media were used post-Roswell to discredit the idea that UFO's existed? 

Maybe Noory is being used to help discredit the full range of paranormal inquiry.  Placing the paranormal alongside the baking soda and maple syrup cancer cure sure doesn't help.

actually, art did a program with a former military guy who perpetrated this type of trickery on the media.  one of the people he tricked was linda martian jowl, believe it or not.  art was SHOCKED to learn linda martian jowl was fed disinformation.  really?  i didn't find it particularly shocking at all.  she'd be first on my list of people to mess with were i a government agent who specialized in screwing with these people.

YNOT

Quote from: IvannZ on September 07, 2011, 10:34:53 AM
Has anyone noticed that George is getting better and better? ...

BULLSHIT!

Fractal

I don't know about paranormal subjects having run their course.  I definitely think the Big Snore has run his course.

I was listening to some old Ghost to Ghost shows (vintage mid-1990s) and what made those shows excellent was Art's approach to the subject.  Even though I don't believe in this stuff, Art always made the subject interesting and he had some great callers back then who had some good stories.  It was like sitting around the campfire listening to ghost stories.

And there was something else . . . it was like Art was talking to a network of people in the dark, from his home . . . it was like a conversation between a few friends . . . it didn't seem commercialized.  It was like some kind of underground radio or something.

I guess I don't really know how to describe the feeling that those old shows had but it was certainly WAY different than it is now.

b_dubb

damn. did not need to see that cow having a bm

george is heating up ... like a hot pocket on the third rail.  nah.  not really.  noory sucks

i think paranormal stuff is basically dead.  the whole genre has just been done to death.  and mostly it's been done badly.  see Ancient Aliens

Tara

Quote from: Fractal on October 17, 2011, 05:27:23 PM

And there was something else . . . it was like Art was talking to a network of people in the dark, from his home . . . it was like a conversation between a few friends . . . it didn't seem commercialized.  It was like some kind of underground radio or something.

You hit the nail on the head, Fractal.  I loved the feeling of Art's show literally being from his house to ours. 

Frys Girl

Paranormal is still a hot genre. Just because George Noory and Premiere Radio suck at it doesn't make it dead. Just because Art Bell is gone, doesn't mean it's finished. Paranormal subjects are still entertaining and there's proof in the money paranormal movies pull in.

analog kid

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on October 14, 2011, 10:27:38 AM

actually, art did a program with a former military guy who perpetrated this type of trickery on the media.  one of the people he tricked was linda martian jowl, believe it or not.  art was SHOCKED to learn linda martian jowl was fed disinformation.  really?  i didn't find it particularly shocking at all.  she'd be first on my list of people to mess with were i a government agent who specialized in screwing with these people.

Richard Doty - Feb 27 2005. Linda still believes the veracity of the fake documents she was shown.

He was a paid consultant for the X-Files at one point.

b_dubb

lmh also insists that the dragonfly ufo's are real and not the products of computer graphics apps ( i.e. blender, maya, etc )

Fractal

Quote from: Tara on October 17, 2011, 06:42:53 PM
You hit the nail on the head, Fractal.  I loved the feeling of Art's show literally being from his house to ours.

I think having unscreened calls contributed to the feeling, too.  Anyone could call Art and Art would talk to anyone.  Now, apparently, the calls are so screened that only pablum-pushing idiots get through.  It's horrible.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: b_dubb on October 17, 2011, 05:56:18 PM

i think paranormal stuff is basically dead.  the whole genre has just been done to death.  and mostly it's been done badly.  see Ancient Aliens

Definite oversaturation, and I blame that Satanic entity..cable TV. "Celebrity Ghost Stories" is to the paranormal is what AIDS was to San Francisco.

Rico999

Quote from: Fractal on October 17, 2011, 08:56:49 PM
I think having unscreened calls contributed to the feeling, too.  Anyone could call Art and Art would talk to anyone.  Now, apparently, the calls are so screened that only pablum-pushing idiots get through.  It's horrible.

I've always thought the unscreened calls feature was the best part about the show.   And I agree with what's been said -- Coast with Art always has the feel of him talking directly to YOU.   His skill as an interviewer is every bit as good as the best in the business -- people like Terry Gross, Dick Cavett and Larry King (in his radio days).   It's because he carries on an actual conversation with the guest -- or the caller.  He's interested in what they have to say and he asks questions that are incisive and intuitive. 

Listen to some of those older programs and listen to him handle the unscreened calls.  Yeah, there's the usual share of oddballs, but sometimes those oddballs actually have something interesting to say -- and Bell had this uncanny ability to bring it out of them.   

George on the hand, just can't do this.  It's why he needs a phalanx of screeners to make sure he gets the lowest common denominator of caller.   Rush Limbaugh once said that the reason for his heavy call-screening process is to make sure that the caller that does get on the air will make him look good.  Evidently Noory's this way too. 

George's main effort is to get to the next break.  His interviewing skills are non-existent.  Have you noticed that when a followup question is in order, he takes a break and then never returns to the previous topic?   He seemingly does zero preparation -- and this was in graphic evidence the other night with Deepak Chopra and Leonard Mlodinow.

It's a damned shame.   I'm not usually into these internet message boards, but I really liked Coast at one time.  I dig the paranormal, UFOs, magick, ghosts, the juxtaposition of science and spirituality and I like a good yarn, too (Mel's Hole!) -- all that stuff -- it's fascinating.    But this fool Noory has ruined what was a great program and I'd like to see him go away.  I don't care where he goes, I just want him gone.

Quote from: Fractal on October 17, 2011, 05:27:23 PM
I don't know about paranormal subjects having run their course.  I definitely think the Big Snore has run his course.

I was listening to some old Ghost to Ghost shows (vintage mid-1990s) and what made those shows excellent was Art's approach to the subject.  Even though I don't believe in this stuff, Art always made the subject interesting and he had some great callers back then who had some good stories.  It was like sitting around the campfire listening to ghost stories.

I guess I don't really know how to describe the feeling that those old shows had but it was certainly WAY different than it is now.

I strongly agree with all of this, and it was better said than I could contribute. Art had the ability to get the listener interested in anything - even his cats - and it always seemed like you were getting a glimpse of his life. As opposed to George, who sounds pre-canned.

My wife and I are planning on listening to old Ghost-to-Ghost shows on Halloween instead of Noory.

analog kid

Quote from: Rico999 on October 17, 2011, 10:02:46 PM
It's a damned shame.   I'm not usually into these internet message boards, but I really liked Coast at one time.  I dig the paranormal, UFOs, magick, ghosts, the juxtaposition of science and spirituality and I like a good yarn, too (Mel's Hole!) -- all that stuff -- it's fascinating.    But this fool Noory has ruined what was a great program and I'd like to see him go away.  I don't care where he goes, I just want him gone.

If there's one guy who could fill Bell's shoes, I do believe it would be Dan Aykroyd. I'd love to have him do a radio show. He's a walking encyclopedia of that sort of stuff, and he's got the cigarette smoking thing down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDyWZmMtqg

YNOT

Quote from: Rico999 on October 17, 2011, 10:02:46 PM
... and I'd like to see him go away.  I don't care where he goes, I just want him gone.

DITTO!

YNOT

Quote from: analog kid on October 18, 2011, 03:46:40 AM
If there's one guy who could fill Bell's shoes, I do believe it would be Dan Aykroyd. I'd love to have him do a radio show. He's a walking encyclopedia of that sort of stuff, and he's got the cigarette smoking thing down.

I have to agree.  I've enjoyed the few shows Akroyd has done on CC.  He also has two things going for him.  He's a good communicator, and he has a geniune interest in the topic.

Quote from: analog kid on October 18, 2011, 03:46:40 AM

Now that's an interesting idea.

Coast to Coast with the Ghostbuster :)

Fractal

Yeah, Rico999, I agree with what you say about the unscreened callers and Art's handling of them.  That's how we heard JC--and it was hilarious when Art would do his "devil voice" and JC would go totally nuts--and the Area 51 flyover guy.  It was Art's talent that made the unscreened calls so interesting.  You never knew what was going to happen with them so there was an edgy spontaneity to them that was very enjoyable to listen to.

About George dropping the ball on follow-up questions . . . I hate it when he says he'll get the answer to something or ask for additional information after the break and then he NEVER asks the effing question after the break!  Then his general questions are all so lame anyway . . .

During Art's monologues at the beginning of the shows, before any callers or guests, it really did sound like he was talking to YOU. Or he'd read some piece of news and then just talk about it like a normal person.  He never played up the show to be "newsy", not like the Big Snore who likes to pretend he's some journalism professional and tells us how he's going to be there for us if some disaster comes across the wire.  Hell, the Big Snore can't even spell or pronounce "journalism" so how does he get off thinking he's a journalist or promoting himself that way?  So pathetic.

Or, yeah, Agent Orange, he'd talk about his cats or whatever, or mention that during the break he glued his lips shut with crazy glue.  Can you imagine the phony Big Snore saying anything like that?

I guess when it gets to be October and all the Halloween stuff starts showing up everywhere, I get the urge to listen to the old Ghost to Ghost shows and remember how it used to be.

srnightowl

Quote from: Morgus on September 07, 2011, 04:19:14 PM
you must be referring to Noory's senior citizen female fans at the nursing home?  :P

George & Fan in Albuquerque, New Mexico

[Adrian is trying to get to Rocky in the ring]
Rocky: Adrian!
Adrian: Rocky!
Rocky: Adrian!
Adrian: Rocky!
Rocky: Adrian.
Adrian: Rocky.