• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

coaster

Icy roads and terrible drivers. The way the city takes care of the roads here after a snowstorm is beyond stupid.

ziznak

i HATE when people say:
"Can I ask you a question?" or "can I ask a question?"
They're already asking a question!! and since they already asked a question then I guess its ok to ask a fucking question so why not just fucking say what you were gonna ask and stop asking if you can ask about something... fuck!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ziznak on January 05, 2013, 02:59:28 PM
i HATE when people say:
"Can I ask you a question?" or "can I ask a question?"
They're already asking a question!! and since they already asked a question then I guess its ok to ask a fucking question so why not just fucking say what you were gonna ask and stop asking if you can ask about something... fuck!

Oh jeeze yes!! That one gets me too...If I get asked if they can ask me something/a question..I straight faced look them in the eye and say, "no, you can't". If it's important they'll aske the question they were going to ask.

Quote from: stevesh on January 05, 2013, 12:27:18 PM
... The fact that we can murder people in Pakistan using robot planes...

That these drones will be coming to skys near us shortly, if they aren't here now.  Everyone we can think of will have them - news gathering organizations, paparazzi, all those government agencies that already think they need their own little police forces, the actual police agencies themselves, ranchers, 'watch dog' and other pressure groups, probably the big corporations will find a need for them as well.

All this because 'our representatives' would rather take a few thousand each in bribes, er, campaign contributions from the manufacturers of these things than think of what's in the best interestes of their constituents.

Already one private hunting club as shot down a drone owned by an animal rights group that they were flying over their land.  Nice.

stevesh

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 05, 2013, 04:30:53 PM

That these drones will be coming to skys near us shortly, if they aren't here now.  Everyone we can think of will have them - news gathering organizations, paparazzi, all those government agencies that already think they need their own little police forces, the actual police agencies themselves, ranchers, 'watch dog' and other pressure groups, probably the big corporations will find a need for them as well.

All this because 'our representatives' would rather take a few thousand each in bribes, er, campaign contributions from the manufacturers of these things than think of what's in the best interestes of their constituents.

Already one private hunting club as shot down a drone owned by an animal rights group that they were flying over their land.  Nice.

Agreed. I do a little nature photography, and can see possible ways to apply these things to that pursuit. I believe there has already been a case of paparazzi using them.

I suspect we'll see more 'shoot downs' as the government drones are more widely deployed.

In the 70's, the state of Texas (of all places) deployed a system of cameras on highways caklled NOBIS that snapped images of speeders. The ol' boys down there just drove by at legal speeds and blew them off their mounts. As bad as it looks sometimes, I believe liberty will out in the long run.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 05, 2013, 10:28:43 AM
Finishing almost every sentence with a question inflection; as if the respondant is too dim to understand anything being said..e.g..."I went outside into the yard?"  Yeah...I know what a bloody yard is.

Oh fuuuuck how I hate this one. I made a whole thread about it a while back.

http://coastgab.com/index.php/topic,1304.msg14274.html#msg14274

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: stevesh on January 05, 2013, 05:19:12 PM

Agreed. I do a little nature photography, and can see possible ways to apply these things to that pursuit. I believe there has already been a case of paparazzi using them.

I suspect we'll see more 'shoot downs' as the government drones are more widely deployed.

In the 70's, the state of Texas (of all places) deployed a system of cameras on highways caklled NOBIS that snapped images of speeders. The ol' boys down there just drove by at legal speeds and blew them off their mounts. As bad as it looks sometimes, I believe liberty will out in the long run.

Oh right; so only the laws that any one individual wishes to comply with, need be obeyed? I'm not one of those who believes speed kills--bad driving kills---but neither if I got pulled and prosecuted for speeding would I use as my defence "You're taking away my liberties by enforcing this particular law, and I don't think it applies to me"..Somehow I don't think it would stand up very well..

Also..a point of order..These so called drones, aren't. They're UAV's..or unmanned aerial vehicles..A drone is an aircraft (large or small) that is free flying. Traditionally used as targets to be shot down with guns, missiles etc..A UAV is controlled, (Usually these days spread spectrum, in the 2.4Ghz range). Although the video feedback is likely to be in the 5.8Ghz range, to have a wider range on the video..Although of course some twat turning up an amplifier to drown out the reciever in the UAV, will also drown out and possibly cause a crash of a model aircraft being flown by someone nearby. It's happened on occasion in the UK, and the local modellers have been to 'have a word' with the miscrient when he's been tracked down and explain the facts of life regarding illegally powerful transmitters and the side effects. It goes without saying that such an out of control model could cause a lot of physical damage to people and property.

stevesh

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 06, 2013, 12:30:59 PM

Oh right; so only the laws that any one individual wishes to comply with, need be obeyed?

Correct. It's called civil disobedience, and has a long and storied history in this great nation. Indeed, it was the foundation our independence was based on.

You folks in the UK seem to be comfortable seeing yourselves as subjects rather than citizens, which accounts for the difference in our attitudes.

onan

Quote from: stevesh on January 06, 2013, 04:09:35 PM
Correct. It's called civil disobedience, and has a long and storied history in this great nation. Indeed, it was the foundation our independence was based on.

You folks in the UK seem to be comfortable seeing yourselves as subjects rather than citizens, which accounts for the difference in our attitudes.

Civil disobedience isn't US American. Ghandi... not american. Civil disobedience in the US came about primarily because of slavery... not speeding limits. Rather when one believes their morality is being eroded then civil disobedience becomes necessary. It is not free range anarchy.

And for one to suggest England has no hand in civil disobedience should read about the Peterloo Massacre. I am sure there are other examples as well.

stevesh

Quote from: onan on January 07, 2013, 06:14:53 AM

Civil disobedience isn't US American. Ghandi... not american. Civil disobedience in the US came about primarily because of slavery... not speeding limits. Rather when one believes their morality is being eroded then civil disobedience becomes necessary. It is not free range anarchy.

And for one to suggest England has no hand in civil disobedience should read about the Peterloo Massacre. I am sure there are other examples as well.

Please read my post again. I didn't say civil disobedience is uniquely American, just that it has a prominent place in our history, including (especially) at our founding.

I would also suggest that if the only example of British civil disobedience one can come up with is a nearly 200-year-old citation that no one here save a possible British historian has ever heard of kind of makes my point for me. As a population, our friends in the UK tend to be more sheep-like than those of us in the US. Doesn't make them bad people.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: stevesh on January 07, 2013, 06:51:47 AM

Please read my post again. I didn't say civil disobedience is uniquely American, just that it has a prominent place in our history, including (especially) at our founding.

I would also suggest that if the only example of British civil disobedience one can come up with is a nearly 200-year-old citation that no one here save a possible British historian has ever heard of kind of makes my point for me. As a population, our friends in the UK tend to be more sheep-like than those of us in the US. Doesn't make them bad people.

So essentially you're saying Americans are fundamentally anarchists? Have no need for any laws of any description, and therefore don't bother with thoose they don't like? Strange then that the USA has more incarcerated per head of population than any other country in the world? Presumably they failed to convince the law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, juries, and judges that anarchy wasn't the way forward? I'm sure there's a reason they didn't see eye to eye....  ::)

As for the UK being 'sheep like' I suggest you look up Tolpuddle Martyrs; and little incidents through our documented history (Which is considerably longer than America's!) at various 'non sheep' incidents. Heard of Oliver Cromwell? Hey, I know he was king, but Henry VIII took on the Vatican, and formed the Anglican church.

BobGrau

Quote from: stevesh on January 07, 2013, 06:51:47 AM

;D
Just because some of us are frequently refered to as 'sheep-shaggers' doesn't mean...

Quote from: BobGrau on January 07, 2013, 06:54:25 PM

;D
Just because some of us are frequently refered to as 'sheep-shaggers' doesn't mean...

I would not touch that comment with a ten foot shepherd's staff!  :o

HorrorRetro

Going to bed feeling fine and waking up with the full blown flu annoys me.  When I cough, it feels like shrapnel is bouncing around my lungs.  No, I didn't get a flu shot, but according to the local "authorities," the strain of flu going around here was not included in the shot anyway.  I have too much to do to sit around in bed and wait this out.  :(   On a positive note, all my dogs get so excited when I'm sick.  They love to lounge around in bed all day, so they are quite happy right now.  ::)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: HorrorRetro on January 08, 2013, 01:01:08 PM
Going to bed feeling fine and waking up with the full blown flu annoys me.  When I cough, it feels like shrapnel is bouncing around my lungs.  No, I didn't get a flu shot, but according to the local "authorities," the strain of flu going around here was not included in the shot anyway.  I have too much to do to sit around in bed and wait this out.  :(   On a positive note, all my dogs get so excited when I'm sick.  They love to lounge around in bed all day, so they are quite happy right now.  ::)

Well the good news is, you haven't got flu. If you had, you wouldn't be sitting up writing posts on forums.

coaster

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 08, 2013, 04:05:52 PM

Well the good news is, you haven't got flu. If you had, you wouldn't be sitting up writing posts on forums.
But thats not really true at all, is it Doc? If someone had a phone or laptop, they could post quite easily on a forum while having the flu.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 08, 2013, 04:05:52 PM

Gee, thanks for your diagnosis, Dr. Kildare.  ::)   I'll stick with my own doctor's diagnosis who confirmed mine and prescribed Tamiflu.  I'm not sure how sitting up in bed to avoid my lungs filling up is so outrageous.  As for writing posts while having the flu, I'm not paralyzed.  I feel like dog shit warmed over, but I'm fully capable of hitting a few keys on my laptop now and then to avoid boredom.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: coaster on January 08, 2013, 04:18:07 PM
But thats not really true at all, is it Doc? If someone had a phone or laptop, they could post quite easily on a forum while having the flu.

I used to be married to a doctor...and she said the accepted diagnosis for full blown flu was thus: "If you feel like dying, you have a bad/very bad cold; if you don't care if you do die/wish you were dead, it's flu"..the other one is putting a £20 note at the foot of the bed, if the patient can reach it, they haven't got full blown flu.  :D

ChewMouse

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 08, 2013, 04:58:55 PM

I used to be married to a doctor...and she said the accepted diagnosis for full blown flu was thus: "If you feel like dying, you have a bad/very bad cold; if you don't care if you do die/wish you were dead, it's flu"..the other one is putting a £20 note at the foot of the bed, if the patient can reach it, they haven't got full blown flu.  :D
"Full-blown flu" is not an accepted medical diagnosis in this country. Influenza is influenza.

And being the ex-husband of a doctor makes you...nothing remotely medically related.

HorrorRetro has the damned flu. Quit picking a fight about this and move along.

McPhallus

Quote from: coaster on January 08, 2013, 04:18:07 PM

When you have the flu, trust me, you don't feel like doing shit.

coaster

Trust you? I've had the flu. I think we all have.

McPhallus

I once had what I thought was the flu that ended up being a really nasty kidney infection that landed me in the hospital.

When you feel like shit, you don't really care what they call it.

HorrorRetro

Sweet Jaysus.  I didn't think this would be so controversial.  I do have the flu.  I do feel like absolute shit.  I do have a very high pain tolerance -- I gave birth with zero meds and was home a day later doing chores.  I do have a fever of 102 at the moment.  I'm coughing up chunks of rainbow colored material.  I've had the flu before, and I know it feels much, much worse than a regular cold.  And I do, trust me.  I've taken 1000 mg Motrin, an Ultram, and my back and head still feel like a horse has been jumping up and down on me.  I figure if I'm stuck in my room in bed, I'm going to sit here and catch up on some Netflix movies and read a few posts between naps.

Oh, yeah.  Went down the Thursday before New Years.  Still not up to "par".
Existing on Dayquil and Nyquil.  I've had chicken soup for breakfast nine out of the past 11 mornings. yum.    :(
And I can't get rid of THIS DAMNED COUGH!!!!! 
Anyway, get well Gina.  I'd send you some good energy, but I don't have any yet.     :P

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Treading Water on January 08, 2013, 05:44:24 PM
Oh, yeah.  Went down the Thursday before New Years.  Still not up to "par".
Existing on Dayquil and Nyquil.  I've had chicken soup for breakfast nine out of the past 11 mornings. yum.    :(
And I can't get rid of THIS DAMNED COUGH!!!!! 
Anyway, get well Gina.  I'd send you some good energy, but I don't have any yet.     :P

Thanks.  Hope you're feeling better soon.  My daughter has been fighting the same thing for over a week now.  My husband ran to the store for TheraFlu, but he found out they quit making it.  I had no idea.  So I have Nyquil and Dayquil and AlkaSeltezer on the way.

Quote from: HorrorRetro on January 08, 2013, 01:01:08 PM
Going to bed feeling fine and waking up with the full blown flu annoys me....

Hope you start feeling better - I've had a very slight wheeze the past few weeks but no cough or sneezing.  Woke up this morning with a nasty cough.  I wonder if it's the flu, usually coughs don't develope like that, not sure.

Sardondi

I used to be married to a doctor...

Some things are just beyond parody.

ChewMouse

Quote from: Sardondi on January 08, 2013, 06:34:15 PM
Some things are just beyond parody.
So true!

Remember that series of TV commercials with, I think, Robert Young saying, "I'm not a doctor, but I played one on TV--"?

It reminds me of that.

b_dubb

Coast has gotten so bad that parody is unnecessary

Sardondi

Quote from: ChewMouse on January 08, 2013, 06:40:52 PM
So true!

Remember that series of TV commercials with, I think, Robert Young saying, "I'm not a doctor, but I played one on TV--"?

It reminds me of that.

But to be driven to shrilly claiming "I was married to a doctor" is such a total embarrassment that even to recognize it as a "false appeal to authority" makes me break into giggles. Wow. Pud must be tired. Or have the un-flu.