• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Travel with Rick Steve's

Started by henge0stone, July 03, 2016, 09:57:39 AM

henge0stone

The guy who writes all these travel books has been doing a podcast for a while now. It's really good for anyone interest in History, Culture and travel. It doesn't come across as a borning how to travel podcast and his guests get deep into history of different areas and culture differences.

For someone like he who loves history and in particular older buildings this is a perfect podcast. The episodes about Wales and the awesome Castles in Europe are my favorites. There's even an episode about Haunted places to visit with callers telling their experiences, it was almost a Ghost to Ghost!

Gemstone

I'll have to take a listen.

We used his books when we visited Italy.  They were very accurate. In fact I was holding his guide book as I entered Pompeii and one of the tour guides came running over to me and said "I'm in his book!  He recommended me as the best guide here!" then he showed me the page - and sure enough there he was.  Having that tour guide made all the difference in the world. Yes, I'm a fan Rick Steves.

trostol

Rick Steve's is evil incarnate!!!!!

lol why am i not surprised he now has a podcast

Lord Grantham

He's had an NPR radio show for years. Are you sure you're not talking about that?

Also, as far as travel hosts go Rick is towards the bottom, IMO. Spends too much time focusing on churches. If you've seen one church, you've seen them all.

Juan

Travel with Rick Steve's what?

henge0stone

Quote from: Lord Grantham on July 04, 2016, 05:56:28 AM
He's had an NPR radio show for years. Are you sure you're not talking about that?

Also, as far as travel hosts go Rick is towards the bottom, IMO. Spends too much time focusing on churches. If you've seen one church, you've seen them all.

That probably is the show. It's on itunes though so that's why I called it a podcast. Goes all the way back to 05 on itunes.

He focuses a lot on historical stuff (lots of old churches) so that's what I really like about it 

trostol

he's not bad in doses..but his whole thing is really..finding the affordable places to stay..there was another guy on PBS whose name escapes ma atm who was a bit better..same shtick..but he seemed to get drunk a lot more...then there was another guy that focused on the americas...he was more interesting