• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Amy On The Radio

Started by JesusJuice, April 20, 2016, 11:38:15 PM

WOTR

Quote from: ( Amy ) on April 27, 2016, 06:32:59 AM
Power out to main studio. Had a decent light show with live wires/debris/several splosions in backyard last night. They're thinking was small EF0/EF1 gustnado/tornado. Had small quake sev mins later. Going back to assess damages this morning. Have most everything needed for broadcast with me. If still no power, testing equipment at another location. For now, still a go for Thursday. Will post updates later this afternoon/evening.
Good luck.  I have only had time to listen to some of your memory podcast so far.  If you are able to do radio like you did the 'cast, it should be great.

( Amy )

Quote from: WOTR on April 28, 2016, 01:14:54 AM
Good luck.  I have only had time to listen to some of your memory podcast so far.  If you are able to do radio like you did the 'cast, it should be great.

Thanks. Have hopefully improved a lot since then.

TigerLily

Quote from: ( Amy ) on April 28, 2016, 12:38:07 AM
UPDATE:

After assessing the situation, I've decided to start the show Thursday next week, May 5th. Still going to be on with Jack Brewer, same time (8PM-11PM Central).
Not going to put out a sub-par product, out of respect for both technical and personal considerations.

Details here
http://amyontheradio.com/2016/04/28/tornado-on-the-radio/
and here
http://amyontheradio.com/2016/04/20/thursday-may-5th-jack-brewer/
Amy

So radio launch is Cinco de Mayo. We can toast to your success with margaritas
Interestingly, Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican holiday that Americans celebrate (you should see San Diego's Old Town that day) but Mexicans don't.

Buena suerte!

trostol

Amy..i want to thank you for having issues with everything lol i can watch the draft now...but will be there ..drunk perhaps..for the 5th!!!!

Well Pooh Bears.   I was *so* looking forward to the show tonight.  However I can wait a week.
Hope your yard mess is all cleaned up and that things are getting back to normal.

Hang in there!

73s

[attachment id=1 msg=793973]

Cinco de Amy!  Looking forward to the debut 🎉😀

Gruntled

I"ll be listening too.
Good Luck Amy.

Open lines with Mike Vara over at LNM tonight.  He just went all Alex Jones tough guy and told a tale
of how he roughed up a car jacker.

*Really* looking forward to moving over to Amy's show tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

73s

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 04, 2016, 07:33:47 PM
*Really* looking forward to moving over to Amy's show tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here. Please don't suck, lol! 👌

( Amy )

Storm was a bit of a (somewhat backhanded) blessing in disguise. Holy crap. I've never spent so many hours troubleshooting audio tech issues...

Everything is pretty much ready now. Queuing music. Recording ad spots. Drilling holes through the wall to run CAT6 so that the streams aren't throttled by wireless bottlenecks. Writing short copy for news. Deciding on how I'll open the show. Walk in the park.

If I didn't live by Guitar Center I'd be losing my mind by now. They should have a cable investment club. Get ten stamps and the next bizarre cable or adapter you spontaneously require is free.

Aside from that, I had to run out to Radio Shack to fix a blown fuse in the mic pre-amp which turns out to have serial humming issues anyway after the storm. Finding out power conditioners generally suck at protecting gear from storm surges made me sad. Or buying a third sound card with ground loop buzzing over USB. All this because automation and broadcast software won't recognize a really nice 16 channel board as anything more than 2 channel mono with left or right panned vocals. Good news though. At the expense of my sanity, those issues are solved. You'll get stereo audio and will want something nice in terms of speakers or headphones to play it over.

After juggling an assortment of USB audio interfaces and cables, that's all been sorted. Spent 6 hours adjusting mix/gate/compression/expander levels on one device, then balancing similar levels between multiple other devices. I think I've got the mic and show audio sounding mighty fine now. Callers will be run through all of the same levels which will be an improvement hopefully over basic Skype audio.

Recording ads and music selection are the easiest things I've done all week. Ads have been single take. Mixing takes seconds. I'll be so glad when I can just relax, do this show and have fun with it after tomorrow.

Amy

TigerLily

Congrats, Amy. Best of luck. I suggest you 're-post all the info we need to find and listen to you

PKaiser

Quote from: ( Amy ) on May 05, 2016, 12:16:07 AM
Storm was a bit of a (somewhat backhanded) blessing in disguise. Holy crap. I've never spent so many hours troubleshooting audio tech issues...

Everything is pretty much ready now. Queuing music. Recording ad spots. Drilling holes through the wall to run CAT6 so that the streams aren't throttled by wireless bottlenecks. Writing short copy for news. Deciding on how I'll open the show. Walk in the park.

If I didn't live by Guitar Center I'd be losing my mind by now. They should have a cable investment club. Get ten stamps and the next bizarre cable or adapter you spontaneously require is free.

Aside from that, I had to run out to Radio Shack to fix a blown fuse in the mic pre-amp which turns out to have serial humming issues anyway after the storm. Finding out power conditioners generally suck at protecting gear from storm surges made me sad. Or buying a third sound card with ground loop buzzing over USB. All this because automation and broadcast software won't recognize a really nice 16 channel board as anything more than 2 channel mono with left or right panned vocals. Good news though. At the expense of my sanity, those issues are solved. You'll get stereo audio and will want something nice in terms of speakers or headphones to play it over.

After juggling an assortment of USB audio interfaces and cables, that's all been sorted. Spent 6 hours adjusting mix/gate/compression/expander levels on one device, then balancing similar levels between multiple other devices. I think I've got the mic and show audio sounding mighty fine now. Callers will be run through all of the same levels which will be an improvement hopefully over basic Skype audio.

Recording ads and music selection are the easiest things I've done all week. Ads have been single take. Mixing takes seconds. I'll be so glad when I can just relax, do this show and have fun with it after tomorrow.

Amy

Jesus, that's sexy!

Quote from: PKaiser on May 05, 2016, 11:41:16 AM
Jesus, that's sexy!

Drilling holes to run CAT6 sold me!   8)

T minus 1 hour 58 minutes!

Lilith

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 05, 2016, 05:02:59 PM
T minus 1 hour 58 minutes!

I took a nap this afternoon so I'll be listening!  Best Wishes Amy!  I might even listen here in this thread instead of the live chatbox.

( Amy )

It's a madhouse over here. Doing final Skype tests. I've been to Guitar Center only twice today.

Thanks for all well wishes. I'll try not to suck it up. Lots of last minute workflow learning.

-Amy

Quote from: brig on May 05, 2016, 05:08:00 PM
I took a nap this afternoon so I'll be listening!  Best Wishes Amy!  I might even listen here in this thread instead of the live chatbox.

Me too

73s

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 05, 2016, 05:02:38 PM
Drilling holes to run CAT6 sold me!   8)

Girl had me at "Radio Shack" 😍

zeebo

Quote from: TigerLily on May 05, 2016, 09:34:32 AM
Congrats, Amy. Best of luck. I suggest you 're-post all the info we need to find and listen to you

Lilith

http://www.deeptalkradio.com/

It even has a tunin link right on that page.

9PM Eastern!  Just about an hour and a half from now.

Open lines: (424) 253-0632

8pm - 11pm Central Time Monday through Friday

Lilith

Quote from: ( Amy ) on May 05, 2016, 05:11:55 PM
It's a madhouse over here. Doing final Skype tests. I've been to Guitar Center only twice today.

Thanks for all well wishes. I'll try not to suck it up. Lots of last minute workflow learning.

-Amy

Amy, I'll have my audacity running to record, just in case.

WildCard

"Never warp your brain with time zone math again."
http://everytimezone.com/

Quote from: brig on May 05, 2016, 05:37:58 PM
Amy, I'll have my audacity running to record, just in case.

Right on. I would of been pissed if I missed that Dark City you recorded.

Lilith

Quote from: WildCard on May 05, 2016, 05:55:23 PM
"Never warp your brain with time zone math again."
http://everytimezone.com/

Right on. I would of been pissed if I missed that Dark City you recorded.

Yeah, I think Bateman ended up using that for his Soundcloud archive.  I was thrilled to be able to help!

bateman

Quote from: brig on May 05, 2016, 05:56:52 PM
Yeah, I think Bateman ended up using that for his Soundcloud archive.  I was thrilled to be able to help!

I did! Thankyeeewww!

zeebo

Thanks brig, and good luck Amy.

bateman

Good luck, and godspeed, Amy.

73s