• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

How I would change, Midnight in the Desert.

Started by Keykou, February 12, 2016, 12:26:57 PM

CornyCrow

Quote from: Keykou on February 13, 2016, 11:30:05 AM
Art said the same thing to George Noory, "Make it your show".

Heather is more like George then Art.

If Art isn't coming back I'll be going to bed about the time the show starts.

And since I'm not going to pay a monthly fee to listen.

I will never really hear the show.

So I guess all this doesn't really matter.

But I'll say this.

I turned off the show last night after a guy called and he wanted to talk about a ufo black list,

But his phone wasn't perfect quality so Heather cut him off and disconnected him .

And the next caller was nothing but bullshit like 95% of the calls to Heather.

The thing was I could hear the caller she cut off just fine and I wanted to hear about the UFO black list.

That reminds me of the shit Noory does to someone when they are going to say something interestling.

It's hard to listen to a show when you get pissed off, on and off throughout the show.

Yeah.  That makes you think that the host lacks a proper scope of knowledge or lacks intellectual curiosity or may just not be interested in the topic. 

Faustina

I end up getting so irritated by the way Heather over-enunciates certain syllables of so many words, I have to turn the show off after 10-15 minutes.  She really, really needs to work with a professional voice coach in order to learn not to do that.  I think if she spoke more naturally, it would be a much more listenable show.

coaster

Quote from: Faustina on February 13, 2016, 04:04:41 PM
I end up getting so irritated by the way Heather over-enunciates certain syllables of so many words, I have to turn the show off after 10-15 minutes.  She really, really needs to work with a professional voice coach in order to learn not to do that.  I think if she spoke more naturally, it would be a much more listenable show.
x2. It does get grating, although I've actually only listened to one full show and even then it got a bit overbearing. Also, her train of thought. Instead of thinking of a question while the guest is speaking, she thinks one up after they are done and it sometimes comes out as a rolling, rambling mess. You can hear her grasping for words.
I've also noticed that sometimes she gives her opinion on a guest's answer and all that comes out is the guest's opinion re-worded. It's weird. I'm not trying to "troll her" or knock her down here. I think they are valid criticisms.

BettyO417

Quote from: Faustina on February 13, 2016, 04:04:41 PM
Nailed it! Possibly as irritating as someone sucking food off their fingers instead of using a napkin! Over enunciating and mispronunciation of so many words. Thursday night, after pronouncing "helicopter " as (phonetic spelling) "helleecopter", I had to turn her off, again. With the sensitivity of the microphone picking up every syllable and click of her tongue, it's more than I can bear. I've really tried and I say this without malice.  :o  ::)

Dark City is my game now! Bateman is the man! Lots of archived shows, check him out BellGab if you haven't!   8)

Thanks Faustina for bringing up the subject. Now if Heather would take the advice without getting offended, highly unlikely.

Lord Grantham

I've jumped over to Darkness Radio w/ Dave Schrader. Its not perfect, but its good enough.

DarKPenguiN

So, I finally got around to listening to one of Heathers shows- I dont think shes terrible, just inexperienced and has been placed on the hot seat and is under immense pressure and scrutiny.

I think if she had time to develop her skills absent of the insane amount of hate- She could actually be quite good in the long run... Sadly, she will either burn out due to stress or the show will fold before she gets there imho.

Heather should have been given a show or two every week- or even a nightly segment so she could gain confidence and prepare accordingly. Shes been tossed into the fire and considering that fact alone shes doing a hell of a lot better than I would do (or most of us) and she hasnt walked away even while dealing with all the criticism which shows drive and integrity.

I have a ton I could say on the matter involving MITD and DMRN and could make many assumptions about their burn rate, business model and demographics- but without the raw data it would be pointless. I think having a sub fee was a fine way to get a quick cash injection , especially when Art was on board but even with Art- its not sustainable as a main source of revenue.

If I were keith I would be restructuring and perhaps speaking with a consultant. I would keep heather and develop her talent but would take her out of the spot shes in and slowly acclimate her and let her get her footing. She has potential but it will never come to fruition in this manner.

But what the fuck do I know?

Dateline

I as the listener resent that my listening time is being used, if I listened, for the training ground for Heather Wade.  It is like going into a five-star restaurant with reservations and being served McDonalds.  How many would stay and eat the burger, or would you walk out?  That is the personal choice we all must make and how each responds varies on the person.  I would be insulted and walked out.  That is my response to MITD.

I don't listen.  I expected Art, and wanted Art, and don't like anyone turned loose on that program.  If it would have been someone with some experience that I enjoyed, I might listen.

For me, the damage has been done and it is not recoverable.  That is not a reflection on Heather's ability.  I don't listen to Connie Willis either.  The enjoyment I had is gone and is not there listening to the show.  There are just too many choices out there.

Jackstar

Quote from: Dateline on February 14, 2016, 12:39:26 PM
It is like going into a five-star restaurant with reservations

It is like you're delusional.

The standards and expectations that some of you people have are insane.

Dateline

I am not delusional.  I am simply using a hyperbole to make a point.  Don't be so literal.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: coaster on February 13, 2016, 04:15:39 PM
x2. It does get grating, although I've actually only listened to one full show and even then it got a bit overbearing. Also, her train of thought. Instead of thinking of a question while the guest is speaking, she thinks one up after they are done and it sometimes comes out as a rolling, rambling mess. You can hear her grasping for words.
I've also noticed that sometimes she gives her opinion on a guest's answer and all that comes out is the guest's opinion re-worded. It's weird. I'm not trying to "troll her" or knock her down here. I think they are valid criticisms.

These are both problems that affect people who don't think well on their feet, or off their feet assuming there's a chair available. Most of these people don't go into live talk radio, which requires this ability. You're hearing what would happen if one of them somehow got hired.

Robert

I'm asking for a lot here, but I'd like more of the programs to be panel discussions instead of single-guest.

Kolchak

I've never been bothered by Heather's pronunciations, but her calling 9/11 "nine one-one" instead of "nine eleven" somehow got to me.

trostol

Quote from: Kolchak on February 14, 2016, 09:36:34 PM
I've never been bothered by Heather's pronunciations, but her calling 9/11 "nine one-one" instead of "nine eleven" somehow got to me.

lol when was this?

Ciardelo

Jackstar

Similarly, I was horrified to learn that she buys into that Sandy Hook bullshit. I suppose the FCC requires everyone who broadcasts to toe that line, but still--horrified. What other kind of nonsense does this woman believe? Gah, don't tell me.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Robert on February 14, 2016, 04:17:13 PM
I'm asking for a lot here, but I'd like more of the programs to be panel discussions instead of single-guest.

That's an interesting idea.  I've enjoyed Hoagie's panels in those rare times when he lets the guests play off each other instead of reiterating his own well-worn opinions.  Assuming it doesn't tax her guest list too much, it might be worth trying.  She could hone her interviewing skills moderating discussions instead of trying to carry half the conversation herself.

trostol

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 14, 2016, 10:18:47 PM
It was on September 11, 2001. It was in all the papers man.

>:(

that never happened sir lol

Robert

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 17, 2016, 04:14:54 PMThat's an interesting idea.  I've enjoyed Hoagie's panels in those rare times when he lets the guests play off each other instead of reiterating his own well-worn opinions.  Assuming it doesn't tax her guest list too much, it might be worth trying.  She could hone her interviewing skills moderating discussions instead of trying to carry half the conversation herself.
At Idea Connection the corresponding role is called "facilitator", and admittedly there's a subtle difference between that and "moderator".

Keykou

I guess my ideas from the first thread in this post didn't pan out.

By what Roland says in his commercial, the show is free for you non subscribers (meaning, be happy with what you got, dam freeloaders).

I guess you need advertisers to make those simple ideas work.

What I don't understand is why have this kind of show on so late at night.

Ten years ago the topics were late night material meant only for truck drivers and nighthawks but that's no longer true.

The name Midnight in the Desert can be changed to Blowing out of the Desert, practically any name will work.

Give to Noory what is Noories.

As far as I'm concerned he can have the late slot, he'll keep fighting you for it, you can't win and you know it.

With changing the hours you'll discover a vastly larger pool of people to receive calls from.

If you ask for interesting callers they will come, I have no doubt and not just one or two per night but many, many.

That's 2 manies.  :)

But I have this overwhelming feeling, "warm and fuzzy" is more where your going with the show.

Hope not, the old people will like it but not us kids.

So what is the problem with an earlier show?

Are you worried the NSA will shut you down now and then, if the calls get real juicy.

I'd bet there is a lot of stories out there that even they won't believe.

That will just make people want to listen even more.

That's the kind of show I want to listen to with or without, Mr. Bell.

All thoughts....trolls....ideas are welcome?

Sean92008

Well, she's perfect in her own eyes.  On GabCast, she said that everybody else has changed but she hasn't...

Yeah.

There's no changing perfection.   Before completely giving up on the show (and ultimately BellGag), I decided I'd try to tune in for a week or two.  It has been useless revisiting the PortaPotty of "paraabnormal radio."  The odor is too much and there's no more toilet paper left.  She's uniformly bad and seems to not give a shit about improving.  Her vocabulary is crippled and her arrogance is unappreciated.  Her loyalists are equally as annoying, there's no draw to keep me interested. 

So, she's not changing shit.  Art Bell is a piece of shit and the references to him coming back aren't keeping me interested. 

I can't even listen to the old stuff (played on www.U7Radio.org at the level I used to.  Heck, I've tuned into C2C more in the last week and a half than I have the year prior.

albrecht

Beating the dead horse here BUT, again, my two cents:
1) rotating hosts (keep it fresh, less trouble, change of pace and different styles or subjects, allow folks to have other jobs, own shows, etc.)
2) some prerecorded shows with Art more old "Dreamland" style with single focus and less callers (could be prerecorded so no stalker, more family time, and even get more mainstream guests.)
3) not just PayPal and allow/promote "gift memberships," anonymous buying etc.
4) put some free shows out on YouTube, torrents, etc and (not saying I agree with him but use "free" to sell your product like Alex Jones.)

Keykou

Quote from: albrecht on February 18, 2016, 10:27:12 PM
1) rotating hosts (keep it fresh, less trouble, change of pace and different styles or subjects, allow folks to have other jobs, own shows, etc.)
2) some prerecorded shows with Art more old "Dreamland" style with single focus and less callers (could be prerecorded so no stalker, more family time, and even get more mainstream guests.)
3) not just PayPal and allow/promote "gift memberships," anonymous buying etc.
4) put some free shows out on YouTube, torrents, etc and (not saying I agree with him but use "free" to sell your product like Alex Jones.)

Rotating Hosts - I like it, let Heather do Mon, Tues, Wed with the lesser interesting guests, and save the good ones for Art or a more aggressive host on thru, and open lines Fri and Sat. Why waist a Saturday. I can see Bell parties where you have to take a drink every time Art tells the story about his car.

Prerecorded shows with Art, (done at his convenience) then Heather could take calls to fill in any time left. (That's works for me)

There is a lot to work with.

Robert

Quote from: Keykou on February 18, 2016, 10:07:07 PMBy what Roland says in his commercial, the show is free for you non subscribers (meaning, be happy with what you got, dam freeloaders).
Yeah, well he's not paying us for consulting either, so we're even.

Robert

Quote from: Sean92008 on February 18, 2016, 10:19:58 PMShe's uniformly bad and seems to not give a shit about improving.
There was that night about 6 weeks ago when she solicited e-mailed criticisms or suggestions.  Anybody here get responses?

I didn't send mine until a couple weeks later, never got a response.  Then again, the person I tried to hook her up with for advice didn't respond to me either.  I thought she might profit from corresponding with Jason Jarvis, who took over on mic for his mother's talk show that he'd produced.  He's in another family business now, but lasted several years on air.

I am sorry and have nothing against Heather but you need a male with a good voice, someone who can make this show their own and not use lines from the old host ie. "25 time zones" when there are actually 40 recognized ones and the your "Device" thing worked for Art but no so much for her.  When I listened to Art I imagined a dark room with low lighting a glass of Bourbon and a lit cigarette, it just put me in the mood but with Heather all I get is a want to be Cheerleader who has no real personality of her own.  She wouild be great as a daytime talk Host but not where she is now.