• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I'm getting off of the Art Bell train

Started by ponyboysunset, January 15, 2016, 07:15:12 PM

norland2424

i will always enjoy his shows and on air persona, and no i don't feel like he owes us or that we owe him anything, but what does bug me is that hes using what a few have said to stay retired, the guilt tripping of bellgab for not kissing his ass, and threatening MV with legal actions. Man up Art and roll with the punches, or just don't interact with the internet at all.

I continue to be amazed that people are surprised by Art`s recent actions. It`s what Art does for crying-out-loud. It`s what he has always done. We, old school Art Bell afficionados, have seen this too many times to count. It is, as the kids say, what it is. So what. He`ll be back again, don`t worry. Because...it`s what Art does.

Just Me

Fart Bell who, didn't he die along time ago.

flimflam384

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 16, 2016, 01:19:27 PM
I continue to be amazed that people are surprised by Art`s recent actions. It`s what Art does for crying-out-loud. It`s what he has always done. We, old school Art Bell afficionados, have seen this too many times to count. It is, as the kids say, what it is. So what. He`ll be back again, don`t worry. Because...it`s what Art does.

I too, remember Hilly Rose.

It isn't that he's made a scene and quit that is different this time.  It's that his exit was so spectacularly pathetic.  When he dropped XM, my reaction was to shrug and say "figures" quietly to myself.  At first, that was my inner reaction again back on December 11.  But the way he pretty much just jumped onto the internet and announced HEY GUISE TROLL FOOD HERE this time around by baiting and getting tied up with the (rather predictable) backlash surrounding his quitting...

Wow.  Art, you really should have known better.  All I'm gonna say here.  You should have known better.

ItsOver

Yep.  Sink the frog and himself, one more time, and repeat. 

Quote from: onan on January 16, 2016, 01:12:20 PM
Falcon did suggest people eschew chemo for alternative "homeopathy".

Starting a getting off the Art Bell train is a slur, but calling Robin is murderer is reasoned, lol.

Quote from: onan
Add to that the fact hospitals are evidenced based
hospitals are evidenced based
evidenced based

lol

flimflam384

Quote from: ItsOver on January 16, 2016, 01:24:43 PM
Yep.  Sink the frog and himself, one more time, and repeat. 

Yeah, but this time he's soured his own fanbase against him to the point that when he comes back, pretty much nobody will care, except those of us tuning in for the inevitable trainwreck.

onan

Quote from: malachi.martini on January 16, 2016, 01:24:52 PM
Starting a getting off the Art Bell train is a slur, but calling Robin is murderer is reasoned, lol.

lol

Like I said, you are an idiot.

ItsOver

Quote from: flimflam384 on January 16, 2016, 01:26:08 PM
Yeah, but this time he's soured his own fanbase against him to the point that when he comes back, pretty much nobody will care, except those of us tuning in for the inevitable trainwreck.
Yes.  This frog doesn't want to play the game anymore.  Ribbit.

I continue to recommend Art do only 1, maybe 2, nights per week. He could devote enough energy to make it it a great show, and have plenty of time for his family. We would love to hear an energized, refreshed and curious AB every Fri. and/or Sat. night.

pyewacket

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 16, 2016, 01:13:45 PM
And yours are the only reason I even exist. 😎

Well aren't you just a great big sweetie pie!

ponyboysunset

Quote from: TigerLily on January 16, 2016, 12:56:54 PM
Hey, onan.  You'll find no negative posts about Art from me. I don't hate him. I just need to quit him. Do I still qualify for the Club?
Yes absolutely. As for those not behind it cool. That is why I love this place. Freedom of expression.
Lots of funny, witty retorts.

Quote from: Sean92008 on January 16, 2016, 12:22:09 PM
... I was listening to an old New Year's show and Ramona was on and, it was obvious, so supportive of Art and the show.  Of course, she worked in radio and helped him build the fortune that he made.  I mean a $10,000,000 net worth wasn't Art alone.  No way, with his personality, he'd do that.  In fact, after her death, he even said that she took care of the finances.  Why do I suspect that his current wife does not have such wisdom nor support in her personality?

After Ramona passed, Art didn't marry someone with a passion for radio or to do his finances.  She's a young woman with a child, who very likely wants her husband to be home with them in the evening.  There is nothing wrong with that, it's normal, and it's what Art signed up for when he married and had a child with her.

Airyn and Asia are not to blame for any of this.

Bounder

Quote from: onan on January 16, 2016, 12:43:14 PM
Sorry, I can't join in on this.

Thanks for declaring why you're not coming aboard, onan.  No one's insisting you do. 

The world is big enough to contain different opinions.  Acknowledging this should reduce the conversion impulse.

You too, General and henge0stone.

trostol

maybe people are not surprised but finally..tired of the game and won't be there if he does return..also maybe some of the old school aficionados are listening too much with nostalgia in mind, cause many times i had seen the she was great and getting better, yet i didn't hear it and had seen others say the same 

I really don't understand why Art - who is 70, who has a young wife and child who want him around in the evening - couldn't have just done a show once or twice a week. 

At this point it should be just a hobby for him, and something he enjoys doing, but isn't getting in the way of family life.  He could have set up something along those lines to do when he wanted for years to come and everyone would have been happy (him, his family, the fans).

I think the way he handled the music issues was telling - repeatedly insisting he would not go forward with the show if he didn't get his way.  Apparently he has one set plan - the show must be 5 days a week, must be live at a certain time of day, must have certain top quality equipment, must have certain bumper music.  He will only deal with people he already knows and trusts, the show can't be as a fill in on anyone else's program, it has to be net based, there must be a certain number and variety of callers, the show must be free to listen to live some - but pay for itself, on and on with the requirements.

And if any single thing isn't doable, then he's out.  Even when he gets everything he wants, he finds a way to quit after a short period, as he's done each time going back a decade and a half

Yet all along he talks about how much he loves it, how it's in his blood, etc, ad nauseam. 

I really don't get it.  The old saying ''either shit or get off the pot'' comes to mind.

Quote from: trostol on January 16, 2016, 02:00:08 PM
maybe people are not surprised but finally..tired of the game and won't be there if he does return..also maybe some of the old school aficionados are listening too much with nostalgia in mind, cause many times i had seen the she was great and getting better, yet i didn't hear it and had seen others say the same

When Art returns -- and he will -- I'll tune in. And when he thinks of another lame excuse to quit, I'll be pissed off and disappointed. And then I'll wait for him to return, and repeat the cycle all over again. That's just Art. That's what he does.

It's love-hate with Art. Always has been. Always will be.

trostol

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 16, 2016, 02:17:30 PM

When Art returns -- and he will -- I'll tune in. And when he thinks of another lame excuse to quit, I'll be pissed off and disappointed. And then I'll wait for him to return, and repeat the cycle all over again. That's just Art. That's what he does.

It's love-hate with Art. Always has been. Always will be.

theres a word for that...i cant think of what it as at the moment lol

and from what hoagie said on last nights show about his future on the network who knows whats going to happen next      --the bell is tolling 

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 16, 2016, 02:16:24 PM
I really don't understand why Art - who is 70, who has a young wife and child who want him around in the evening - couldn't have just done a show once or twice a week. 

At this point it should be just a hobby for him, and something he enjoys doing, but isn't getting in the way of family life.  He could be doing something along those lines for years to come and everyone would have been happy (him, his family, the fans).

I think the way he handled the music issues was telling - talking about how he would quit if he didn't get his way.  Apparently he has one set plan - the show must be 5 days a week, must be live at a certain time of day, must have certain top quality equipment, must have certain bumper music.  He will only deal with people he already knows and trusts, the show can't be as a fill in on anyone else's program, it has to be net based, there must be a certain number and variety of callers, the show must be free to listen to live some - but pay for itself, on and on with the requirements.

And if any single thing isn't doable, then he's out.  Even when he gets everything he wants, he finds a way to quit after a short period, as he's done each time going back a decade and a half

Yet all along he talks about how much he loves it, how it's in his blood, etc, ad nauseam. 

I really don't get it.  The old saying ''either shit or get off the pot'' comes to mind.
Yep. Though I wonder how much influence Keith, RCH, etc had? Delusions of grandeur or vast $$? Beating iHeart/Norry? Idk.

Art should've/should just do a "Somewhere In Time" type of guest driven podcast. Almost no overhead, no complex studio, free (or near free) paypal or cc (even via an app) payment system, no handwringing about music or "audio quality", etc. If he wants calls I imagine via Skype or even just a phone could've worked ok but, frankly, callers these days are fairly lame so I would go with Art+guests.

trostol

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 16, 2016, 02:20:08 PM
Fan

no thats not it

cause When Metallica started to suck..i stopped listening and didn't return

Quote from: trostol on January 16, 2016, 02:22:39 PM
no thats not it

cause When Metallica started to suck..i stopped listening and didn't return

Same here. But Art never sucked. He just disappears from time to time. Yeah, that sucks. But when he comes back, Hell, he's still the best thing on radio.

trostol

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 16, 2016, 02:26:34 PM
Same here. But Art never sucked. He just disappears from time to time. Yeah, that sucks. But when he comes back, Hell, he's still the best thing on radio.

gonna have to agree to disagree here...cause this run of shows wasnt great...Art might have been fine interviewing..but many of the shows were not good

Art should have just swallowed some pride and made good with Premier. He could have had a weekend gig for the rest of his life. Done the show he wanted to do. Had all the music and all the callers. He could have done it forever. But he threw it all away. He could still do it, but he wont. That's a shame.

Quote from: Sean92008 on January 16, 2016, 12:38:24 PM
I'm in a situation that went like this...  Pre-marriage, all my girlfriends knew of my music stuff.  They were supportive and inspirational.  I had one actually research how to create a home-made vocal booth and helped her brother make it for me.  She wasn't a musician or anything but she enjoyed being part of my life.  Of course, we made **** in it after she presented to me... More on that later  ;D

The woman I ended up marrying says "go do music."  Yet she created a road block at every turn.  I'd write a new song and she'd question why and who was it about...  I'd have a great session, come home whistling or humming the song and she'd suspect I was up to no good.  So, my music stopped.  I gave up software and equipment endorsements and am getting the same treatment from her (feigned support, that is) in my attempts to start marketing guitars.

Point is "why do it?"  Shit, if I get cancer again, I won't treat it.  I'm waiting for an opportunistic suicide to come my way.  A "fair catch" of a falling tree or an airplane crash may not be as big as a nuke, but it will do.  ;D 

Maybe Art is going through the same thing.  Maybe he sees the end and doesn't want to mess with the show.  Maybe it's a setup for something else...  Maybe he's the drama queen we all suspect that he is.

AB is dead, I listen to his old programs as I do George Harrison records; "wish he were around to give us some more..."

Why not just do your thing and ignore the negative reactions she has to it?  Why do you need her 'support' on this?