• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is BellGab still truly considered "THE Art Bell Fan Forum" ?

Started by creepygreenlight, January 03, 2016, 07:15:18 PM

starrmtn001

Quote from: 73s on June 06, 2016, 01:07:48 PM
Cool history, thanks Starr. I guess earlier on it was still going strong. I didn't know it had it's own live chat as well. Never heard of "NightHawk Zone", lol. And not sure I know about the Norry legal stuff. The only legal thing I remember is Art suing someone over things said regarding his son. I guess these things are a whole 'nother thread.
Noory tried the same thing here.  MV, pretty much, told him to pound sand.

PRAISE MV! ;D

73s

Quote from: MV on June 06, 2016, 01:12:16 PM
http://www.fantasticforum.com/1res/viewtopic.php?t=27940#p461467

Holy cow!

That's one of the reasons I was hesitant to post anything on forums. I felt like various talk hosts get sue happy from time to time. And I just want to post and have fun and not worry that someone will get bent out of shape and threaten something. I think we all have some "troll" inside us to some extent and seems like there's a fine line between criticism and libel sometimes.

NXOEED

Quote from: MV on June 06, 2016, 11:30:58 AM
after the owner died, a chunk of the forum's membership split off and created a new "fantastic forum" which was so restrictive that you couldn't even read it without being signed into an account.  the original forum was eventually sold for a mcdoald's gift certificate or something, and from there its slow erosion continued.

i recall signing up for an account on the FF in early 2006, and i was banned before submitting my first post.  the place was a funeral and i don't understand how it ever took off to begin with.  i don't know this firsthand, but i have been told that the fantastic forum's "management" would banish anyone who didn't parrot their liberal democrat beliefs.  supposedly.  correct me if that's wrong.

That second FF was bullshit.

Ciardelo

There's a new very small imitator of BellGab with an owner who seems to relish banning people for their activities on other forums. lol. What a crock of shit that is. Somehow I don't think MV is in any peril

Here's "nice guy" Noory all bent out of shape because freedom of speech exists in America. For now anyway.

From George Noory <george@coasttocoastam.com>
May 17, 2007 4:11 PM   
subject: FF

Once again, your forum is being used for hate and inaccuracy. The Sci-Fi show IS NOT a paid for informercial, but has been produced for Sci-Fi and will run at their expense.

Additionally, I have informed my attorney to immediately begin plans to sue various members for libel and to obtain from you either voluntarily or in court appropriate IP addresses, etc.

I take my career seriously and have NO problems with honest criticism and critique, but it's gotten out of hand.

I am asking you, as the administrator for the LAST TIME to clean this up, and will hold you personally responsible for such libelous attempts by your members to libel me and the show.
# # #

Time to clean it up folks!

Refer to the Terms of Service and Terms of Use Legal Notice posted on the forum.

NXOEED

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on June 07, 2016, 02:12:39 PM
Here's "nice guy" Noory all bent out of shape because freedom of speech exists in America. For now anyway.

Once again, your forum is being used for hate and inaccuracy. The Sci-Fi show IS NOT a paid for informercial, but has been produced for Sci-Fi and will run at their expense.

Additionally, I have informed my attorney to immediately begin plans to sue various members for libel and to obtain from you either voluntarily or in court appropriate IP addresses, etc.

I take my career seriously and have NO problems with honest criticism and critique, but it's gotten out of hand.

I am asking you, as the administrator for the LAST TIME to clean this up, and will hold you personally responsible for such libelous attempts by your members to libel me and the show.
# # #

Time to clean it up folks!

Refer to the Terms of Service and Terms of Use Legal Notice posted on the forum.

I totally understand why people get pissed off when these guys make these sorts of threats, but I always kind of see it as a thing that old people say when they don't really understand the culture. I never look at one of these and think, "Well shit, this guy's a total asshole", because I know he's not really gonna sue. I'm usually just like, "Oh, this guy's like 65 years old."

I sorta look at it like "Well shit, this guy's an asshole." I couldn't count all the times sNoory opened his gob and platitudes about free speech fell out, but when FF was the slightest bit critical of him, he went ape shit with the intimidation, threats and guess what? it worked, which is probably why he thought he could try it here, but no, we have MV and Noory made the mistake of threatening him. Big mistake. 

I don't know if this is still truly considered The Art Bell Fan Forum and I sort of don't care. To me, it will always be georgenoorysucks.com, an oasis of happiness in a desert of shady  moves on other forums.

Quote from: MV on June 06, 2016, 11:30:58 AM
after the owner died, a chunk of the forum's membership split off and created a new "fantastic forum" which was so restrictive that you couldn't even read it without being signed into an account.  the original forum was eventually sold for a mcdoald's gift certificate or something, and from there its slow erosion continued.

i recall signing up for an account on the FF in early 2006, and i was banned before submitting my first post.  the place was a funeral and i don't understand how it ever took off to begin with.  i don't know this firsthand, but i have been told that the fantastic forum's "management" would banish anyone who didn't parrot their liberal democrat beliefs.  supposedly.  correct me if that's wrong.

A brief summary from the Fantastic Forum from my experience when I was there.

It was a tight knit community of liberal minded middle aged women who were all fans of Art Bell who ran an Art Bell fan forum, where like this forum they had nightly listening threads.  In fact bellgab, and the Fantasic Forum are almost exact duplicates of forums and subforums, though at the Fantastic Forum they had a pirate theme.  This forum attracted a whole slew of Art Bell fans where they met and posted harmoniously about Art Bell and other topics.

Something happened.

Bush happened.

The Fantastic Forum always had a "politics" subforum, though rarely used.

From Bush 00' to Bush 04' there was constant drama and infighting among the posters.  The moderator/owner Lynnaea was an old liberal shrew and with her cackle of like minded old crows made it their mission to silence, suspend or ban forum users who didn't believe Bush was the devil incarnate.

The Fantastic Forum had a pretty substantial user base and it took quite a long time to shed most of the forum posters as Art Bell and the forum was still a draw and constantly attracting new members.

During this melt down, the gaggle of liberal old crows believed they were constantly being invaded by any number of websites, much like here, though their boogeyman was "freerepublic.com", and I believe it was a poster named "mudwoman" who believed the majority of the conservative members were psy-op plants trying to undermine their forum and silence opposition to the Bush regime.  I shit you not, these old liberal crows were looney tunes.

It was pretty fun to troll these posters, though I did agree with most of their views about Bush, but what was I to do?  It was a target rich environment.

There were a few catalysts of bad moderating done, but the greatest was the banning of a poster named "Cherrygirl".  This poster generally posted in the gardening section and "The Brig" section(the Brig Section was just a place to chat and tell personal stories), rarely posted in the Art Bell section, and never posted in the politics section.  She was liked by all.  This was until she decided to post an article in the politics section that had a minor pro-conservative bent.  Lynnaea in one of her melt downs outright banned "Cherrygirl", saying the political fight against a second Bush term was too great to allow these "pro-conservative" threads.

That action pretty much put a nail in the coffin of the Fantastic Forum.

Like others have stated there were some off shoots such as "Imaginative Worlds" and "thenighthawkzone", though the nighthawkzone was created by one member of the fantastic forum who constantly was crying about everyone shitting on George Noory and would constantly e-mail George for plugs on his new George Noory fan site, though I don't think it ever got above 50 people who had an account.

On an odd side note, Lynnaea lived in Seattle and owned a decorative glass shop which was a few blocks from where I lived.

WOTR

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on June 07, 2016, 02:12:39 PM

If you read the words, you quickly realize that they were not written by "Mr. Nice Guy", himself.  Most likely a paralegal that Pemrat had on staff at the time.

***As evidence, I cite every post on this forum that George wrote.***

Lilith

Quote from: The King of Kings on June 07, 2016, 03:42:32 PM

It was a tight knit community of liberal minded middle aged women who were all fans of Art Bell who ran an Art Bell fan forum, where like this forum they had nightly listening threads.  In fact bellgab, and the Fantasic Forum are almost exact duplicates of forums and subforums, though at the Fantastic Forum they had a pirate theme.  This forum attracted a whole slew of Art Bell fans where they met and posted harmoniously about Art Bell and other topics.

Something happened.

Bush happened.

From Bush 00' to Bush 04' there was constant drama and infighting among the posters.  The moderator/owner Lynnaea was an old liberal shrew and with her cackle of like minded old crows made it their mission to silence, suspend or ban forum users who didn't believe Bush was the devil incarnate.

The Fantastic Forum had a pretty substantial user base and it took quite a long time to shed most of the forum posters as Art Bell and the forum was still a draw and constantly attracting new members.

During this melt down, the gaggle of liberal old crows believed they were constantly being invaded by any number of websites, much like here, though their boogeyman was "freerepublic.com", and I believe it was a poster named "mudwoman" who believed the majority of the conservative members were psy-op plants trying to undermine their forum and silence opposition to the Bush regime.  I shit you not, these old liberal crows were looney tunes.

It was pretty fun to troll these posters, though I did agree with most of their views about Bush, but what was I to do?  It was a target rich environment.

There were a few catalysts of bad moderating done, but the greatest was the banning of a poster named "Cherrygirl".  This poster generally posted in the gardening section and "The Brig" section(the Brig Section was just a place to chat and tell personal stories), rarely posted in the Art Bell section, and never posted in the politics section.  She was liked by all.  This was until she decided to post an article in the politics section that had a minor pro-conservative bent.  Lynnaea in one of her melt downs outright banned "Cherrygirl", saying the political fight against a second Bush term was too great to allow these "pro-conservative" threads.

Like others have stated there were some off shoots such as "Imaginative Worlds" and "thenighthawkzone", though the nighthawkzone was created by one member of the fantastic forum who constantly was crying about everyone shitting on George Noory and would constantly e-mail George for plugs on his new George Noory fan site, though I don't think it ever got above 50 people who had an account.

On an odd side note, Lynnaea lived in Seattle and owned a decorative glass shop which was a few blocks from where I lived.

I remember the people you mention, and I think you gave a very accurate representation.

Oh the memories.   ::)  ;D

At the time I was not a Noory fan, nor was I an Art fan at all because of his calling people like me "Wingnuts".  That stayed with me a long time, and may still influence my feelings about Art to this day.  That and other things.  But I WAS a big fan of his show up untill the time he started calling people "Wingnuts".

I place dead center on all the political graphs, so my posts were obviously VERY confusing to most of the posters at that forum.  In my experience, it is difficult for people dedicated to either to the left or the right, to relate to a person that considers the arguments of both sides, then makes their own decision about any issue, which is not dedicated to one side or the other.

GravitySucks

Quote from: brig on June 07, 2016, 04:41:53 PM
I remember the people you mention, and I think you gave a very accurate representation.

Oh the memories.   ::)  ;D

At the time I was not a Noory fan, nor was I an Art fan at all because of his calling people like me "Wingnuts".  That stayed with me a long time, and may still influence my feelings about Art to this day.  That and other things.  But I WAS a big fan of his show up untill the time he started calling people "Wingnuts".

I place dead center on all the political graphs, so my posts were obviously VERY confusing to most of the posters at that forum.  In my experience, it is difficult for people dedicated to either to the left or the right, to relate to a person that considers the arguments of both sides, then makes their own decision about any issue, which is not dedicated to one side or the other.

Except he left one part out. Art quit.

Lilith

OMGawd, I SO remember that post!  Not only that,  I just signed with my old user name and password and it worked.  What a strange feeling.

starrmtn001

Quote from: brig on June 07, 2016, 04:52:43 PM
OMGawd, I SO remember that post!  Not only that,  I just signed with my old user name and password and it worked.  What a strange feeling.
The word game was my favorite too!  It's probably the oldest thread there, and it's been renewed twice. ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 07, 2016, 05:04:12 PM
The word game was my favorite too!  It's probably the oldest thread there, and it's been renewed twice. ;)

Why would anyone want to spend their time posting on a forum?

Lilith

..lookie who I still have a message from in my inbox at FF ...

Lilith

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 07, 2016, 05:04:12 PM

Look at my previous post.  It's a screenshot of a PM at FF from you, not opened of course.  One of only two left in my inbox after I left, and One from Dale O'Sea.

I hung out in the word game thread too in those days.

GravitySucks

Quote from: brig on June 07, 2016, 05:09:04 PM
Look at my previous post.  It's a screenshot of a PM at FF from you, not opened of course.  One of only two left in my inbox after I left, and One from Dale O'Sea.

That is hilarious.

bateman

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 07, 2016, 05:05:54 PM

This is a mystery that eludes us all.

starrmtn001

Quote from: The King of Kings on June 07, 2016, 03:42:32 PM

Something happened.
Bush happened.

Well written account, KOK.  I salute you.  Now, if you would just start posting with this kind of quality, you would get a lot more positive feed back.  ;)

starrmtn001

Quote from: brig on June 07, 2016, 05:07:16 PM
..lookie who I still have a message from in my inbox at FF ...
Oh Brig.  Thank you for sharing that. :-*

starrmtn001

Quote from: brig on June 07, 2016, 05:09:04 PM

Dale was a sweetheart.  He was one of the first people to welcome me aboard when i joined.

Lilith

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 07, 2016, 05:15:47 PM
Oh Brig.  Thank you for sharing that. :-*

I was just looking around to see if I could find the members picture gallery that was there.  It might still be there, but I can't find it.  I did save pictures of many of the members, and still have them.

Lilith

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 07, 2016, 05:17:27 PM
Dale was a sweetheart.  He was one of the first people to welcome me aboard when i joined.

Yes he was, I wonder if he's still around somewhere, maybe even on bellgab?

starrmtn001

Quote from: brig on June 07, 2016, 05:19:59 PM
Yes he was, I wonder if he's still around somewhere, maybe even on bellgab?
That would be so cool.  If he reads this, maybe he'll PM us. ;D

WhiteCrow

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 07, 2016, 05:05:54 PM

Exactly!  I'm here only to troll brig.. LOL

Praise brig

Lilith

Quote from: WhiteCrow on June 07, 2016, 06:32:43 PM
Exactly!  I'm here only to troll brig.. LOL

Praise brig

......as long as it makes MV money, I'm all good!  8)

WhiteCrow

Quote from: 73s on June 06, 2016, 11:40:05 AM
Thanks MV. It always seemed like a "funeral" to me as well, even back then. I never even bothered to sign up for an account. I would guess that the few active members it had migrated over to here after awhile.

Aside from FF, do you remember the Usenet group? I haven't seen it in years but there was an "alt.artbell" something-er-other group where people used to really hammer Art for being a huckster. We're talking early 2000s but I'm sure it went back into the 90s if not even 80s.

Yes .. I remember the Usenet Newsgroup.. read it but don't remember posting there... started following it occasionally in the mid 90s.. It was very rough and wild,  nothing held back..