• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bernie Sanders 2016 Thread

Started by Jackstar, January 02, 2016, 02:04:57 AM

Juan

Quote from: VoteQuimby on May 20, 2016, 02:35:24 AM
How is it possible that you're too stupid understand the picture is of a KFC franchise raising it's prices by 20% as a response to a local raising of the minimum wage? This is exactly what the sign in the picture is literally telling you.
The narrative trumps literalness. 

136 or 142

Quote from: VoteQuimby on May 20, 2016, 02:35:24 AM
How is it possible that you're too stupid understand the picture is of a KFC franchise raising it's prices by 20% as a response to a local raising of the minimum wage? This is exactly what the sign in the picture is literally telling you.

All your questions are mindless irrelevance because you cannot grasp what this picture is literally telling you in two sentences worth of words. Yet with your multiple paragraphs of confoozelment at two basic sentences, no one else in this thread seems to have trouble comprehending this except for you.

A friendly reminder, the point of trolling is to make other people look stupid.

Wow
1.An increase in price from $5.00 to $5.49 is a 10% increase not a 20% increase (actually a 9.8% increase.)  You'll probably say it was just a typo, but you were still too stupid to notice the error.

2.I have no problem understanding that they raised their prices, what I don't know is if they had to lower them back down again a few days later.  It is actually not all that uncommon for an outlet, especially if it's just one store (which is why I asked about that), to attempt to raise prices and to try to find a way to justify it only to have to back down a short time later due to either active protests or to customers simply choosing to 'protest with their feet.'

That you are too ignorant to know this is your stupidity and not mine.

So, my questions were entirely germane and that you believe they aren't is simply more evidence that you are a complete moron.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on May 20, 2016, 12:25:51 PM
Wow
1.An increase in price from $5.00 to $5.49 is a 10% increase not a 20% increase (actually a 9.8% increase.)  You'll probably say it was just a typo, but you were still too stupid to notice the error.

2.I have no problem understanding that they raised their prices, what I don't know is if they had to lower them back down again a few days later.  It is actually not all that uncommon for an outlet, especially if it's just one store (which is why I asked about that), to attempt to raise prices and to try to find a way to justify it only to have to back down a short time later due to either active protests or to customers simply choosing to 'protest with their feet.'

That you are too ignorant to know this is your stupidity and not mine.

So, my questions were entirely germane and that you believe they aren't is simply more evidence that you are a complete moron.

I don't even care anymore.

136 or 142

Quote from: VoteQuimby on May 20, 2016, 12:31:15 PM
I don't even care anymore.

Of course you don't, because I've once again exposed you as the complete moron you are.

I would also like to note however, I should have realized this right away, but partly because I don't go to KFC this slipped by me, the outlet, or maybe multiple KFC outlets according to that sign raised their price on ONE item , si this wasn't even a general increase in prices by them in order to pass onto their customers the increase in the minimum wage.  I don't know how much of a seller that item is, but even that outlet did not try to prevent their customers from switching to other items if they didn't want to pay the increase in that ONE item.

I would think that idiotic picture you like to post is a selfie, but it's clear that the person in the picture is too old to be you.  In this case your kindergarten teacher will not be happy because you used a picture incorrectly.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on May 20, 2016, 12:35:16 PM
Of course you don't, because I've once again exposed you as the complete moron you are.

I would also like to note however, I should have realized this right away, but partly because I don't go to KFC this slipped by me, the outlet or maybe multiple KFC according to that sign raised their price on ONE item they sell, this wasn't even a general increase in prices by them in order to pay for the rise in the minimum wage.  I don't know how much of a seller that item is, but even that outlet did not try to prevent their customers from switching to other items if they didn't want to pay the increase in that ONE item.

You're too retarded to comprehend two sentences. You've spent days trying to mental gymnastic your way around this fact. It's boring.

VoteQuimby was only making a point about how an increase in the minimum wage is passed onto the customers as a result of increased costs.  It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.  You grab onto the most minute of details to try and disparage his whole argument.

136 or 142

Quote from: VoteQuimby on May 20, 2016, 12:38:37 PM
You're too retarded to comprehend two sentences. You've spent days trying to mental gymnastic your way around this fact. It's boring.

I don't even care anymore.  You're boring... and a complete moron.

136 or 142

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 20, 2016, 12:39:44 PM

VoteQuimby was only making a point about how an increase in the minimum wage is passed onto the customers as a result of increased costs.  It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.  You grab onto the most minute of details to try and disparage his whole argument.

Sorry but the evidence is actually pretty thin that the increased costs due to minimum wage increases are passed onto consumers. There have been multiple studies done on this and while some studies contradict other studies, most show no greater inflation in that sector than in nearby geographic areas that didn't increase the minimum wage   As I explained above it depends on a whole variety of factors the businesses ability to pass on a minimum wage increase but if the increase is relatively small, the evidence is clear that most businesses will eat the costs and accept a reduction in profit or try to find savings elsewhere.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on May 20, 2016, 12:48:23 PM
Sorry but the evidence is actually pretty thin that the increased costs due to minimum wage increases are passed onto consumers. There have been multiple studies done on this and while some studies contradict other studies, most show no greater inflation in that sector than in nearby geographic areas that didn't increase the minimum wage   As I explained above it depends on a whole variety of factors the businesses ability to pass on a minimum wage increase but if the increase is relatively small, the evidence is clear that most businesses will eat the costs and accept a reduction in profit or try to find savings elsewhere.

If the increase is relatively small, then yes maybe the business will eat the costs.   However, doubling, in some cases tripling the minimum wage is a huge cost to employers. Those costs will be passed onto the consumer.  To suggest otherwise, defies logic. 

I won't dwell on this any further.  That is my 2 cents.

136 or 142

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 20, 2016, 12:52:48 PM
If the increase is relatively small, then yes maybe the business will eat the costs.   However, doubling, in some cases tripling the minimum wage is a huge cost to employers. Those costs will be passed onto the consumer.  To suggest otherwise, defies logic. 

I won't dwell on this any further.  That is my 2 cents.

I completely agree with you, but VoteQuimby's simplistic picture didn't state what the percent or dollar amount increase in the minimum wage was, so I had no way to comment on it.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on May 20, 2016, 12:58:21 PM
I completely agree with you, but VoteQuimby's simplistic picture didn't state what the percent or dollar amount increase in the minimum wage was, so I had no way to comment on it.

The simplistic picture you couldn't understand?  ;D

136 or 142

Quote from: VoteQuimby on May 20, 2016, 12:59:32 PM
The simplistic picture you couldn't understand?  ;D

I thought you said you didn't care anymore.

Also, you're the one that couldn't even do the math on the picture right, not me.

Zetaspeak

So when does the sign go up when the CEO gets a pay raise? Or where's the sign talking about how much  millions YUM (KFC parent company) make in a quarter year.

This is what gets me with these corporations. Personally you can put any price you want, you can make as much profit as you want. But PLEASE stop blaming it on the lowest rung worker. Giving a decent living wage is not the difference for a huge multi-national company like KFC/YUM from being a very profitable company to being in the red.

*Maybe* it gives a slight hit on their quarterly profits but raising prices is not a necessity. As 136 said, if people made it known that they would not go because of these 50 cents extra and decided to go to Popeye chicken or Church chicken instead and KFC start losing more profit because people aren't going. The company will "magically" find a way to drop prices to where they were before.

Quote from: Zetaspeak on May 21, 2016, 11:00:36 AM
So when does the sign go up when the CEO gets a pay raise? Or where's the sign talking about how much  millions YUM (KFC parent company) make in a quarter year.

This is what gets me with these corporations. Personally you can put any price you want, you can make as much profit as you want. But PLEASE stop blaming it on the lowest rung worker. Giving a decent living wage is not the difference for a huge multi-national company like KFC/YUM from being a very profitable company to being in the red.

*Maybe* it gives a slight hit on their quarterly profits but raising prices is not a necessity. As 136 said, if people made it known that they would not go because of these 50 cents extra and decided to go to Popeye chicken or Church chicken instead and KFC start losing more profit because people aren't going. The company will "magically" find a way to drop prices to where they were before.

The top of the corporation will never feel the difference but the franchise owner who's operating on a slim profit margin and responsible for paying his employees is the one getting fucked and the one who raises the prices. What your proposing is ironically trickle up economics.

Why would the inflation that's effected KFC not effect Popeyes or Church's? Why would people break their habits over 50 cents? When has there ever been a successful protest against inflation?

The value of money fluctuates based on the economy it's in. You could raise the minimum wage to a million dollars a hour but once the market adjusts, things would be exactly the same aside from the poor and government employees being fucked and jobs lost during the adjustment.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Zetaspeak on May 21, 2016, 11:00:36 AM

KFC prices in here my town are 10% higher across the board than the one 15 miles down the road simply because its a tourist area and its one of only three familiar names in town to the foreigners so they can push the price.  Safeway sells their fried chicken at the deli counter for less than 1/2 of the KFC price.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 21, 2016, 12:37:19 PM
KFC prices in here my town are 10% higher across the board simply because its a tourist area and its one of only three familiar names in town to the foreigners so they can push the price.  Safeway sells their fried chicken at the deli counter for less than 1/2 of the KFC price.

We need an economics thread, all this talk is getting me hot.  ;D

VtaGeezer

Quote from: VoteQuimby on May 21, 2016, 12:41:45 PM
We need an economics thread, all this talk is getting me hot.  ;D
All this talk has made me hungry for fried chicken.

136 or 142

Quote from: VoteQuimby on May 21, 2016, 12:24:07 PM
The top of the corporation will never feel the difference but the franchise owner who's operating on a slim profit margin and responsible for paying his employees is the one getting fucked and the one who raises the prices. What your proposing is ironically trickle up economics.

Why would the inflation that's effected KFC not effect Popeyes or Church's? Why would people break their habits over 50 cents? When has there ever been a successful protest against inflation?

The value of money fluctuates based on the economy it's in. You could raise the minimum wage to a million dollars a hour but once the market adjusts, things would be exactly the same aside from the poor and government employees being fucked and jobs lost during the adjustment.

1.So, to help their franchises adjust, the corporation could reduce the royalty they charge their franchise and could pay for it by lowering the salary of the CEO.  Obviously, they'd have to lower far more than the salary of the CEO, but ultimately it shows that that the franchise profit margins are partly determined by the royalty they have to pay to the corporation, so, Zetaspeak is correct when he says that it (partly) comes down to a choice between the salary of the CEO and the salary of those earning minimum wage.

2.While I don't believe there has ever been a successful protest against inflation, inflation is defined as a 'persistent rise in prices' and not a one time rise as you are suggesting would be caused by an increase in the minimum wage, and there have been many successful protests against companies raising the prices of some of their products.

3.Why would people break their habits over $.50.  Different people have different tastes/preferences/income levels.  Not everybody would break their habits but clearly some would.  That comes from a basic reading of demand curves.  If nobody broke their habit, or if KFC or that one outlet thought nobody would break their habit, it stands to reason they already would have been charging $.50 more for the product.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 21, 2016, 12:52:37 PM
All this talk has made me hungry for fried chicken.

Not me, I personally find KFC to be disgusting. The last time I had KFC I got a chicken sandwich thinking it would be a normal god fearing chicken sandwich. They brought me a greasy piece of chicken with cheese and bacon in between two other big greasy pieces of a chicken. How people aren't dropping dead hourly in their bathroom is beyond me. They also put heroin in some of their recipes.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: VoteQuimby on May 21, 2016, 01:12:11 PM
Not me, I personally find KFC to be disgusting. The last time I had KFC I got a chicken sandwich thinking it would be a normal god fearing chicken sandwich. They brought me a greasy piece of chicken with cheese and bacon in between two other big greasy pieces of a chicken. How people aren't dropping dead hourly in their bathroom is beyond me. They also put heroin in some of their recipes.
Don't eat mystery chicken bits.  If it lacks a bone it's suspect.

TigerLily

Just mailed my ballot. Guess who I voted for  8)

VtaGeezer

Quote from: TigerLily on May 24, 2016, 04:00:38 PM
Just mailed my ballot. Guess who I voted for  8)
Sanders only has to convince the superdelegates that Clinton will be dismantled and left in a smoldering heap by Trump.  And I thing they're paying attention. 

136 or 142

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 24, 2016, 05:19:16 PM
Sanders only has to convince the superdelegates that Clinton will be dismantled and left in a smoldering heap by Trump.  And I thing they're paying attention.

I don't thing so.

VtaGeezer

Sanders threw a bomb over the DNC transom yesterday. Four of his five appointees to the Dem Platform Committee are hard core social activists, including Harvard's gift to racial animus, Cornel West.  Che wasn't available.  O Bernie, what have you done?

TigerLily

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 25, 2016, 10:33:54 AM
Sanders threw a bomb over the DNC transom yesterday. Four of his five appointees to the Dem Platform Committee are hard core social activists, including Harvard's gift to racial animus, Cornel West.  Che wasn't available.  O Bernie, what have you done?

Exactly what I was hoping for. Bernie to have some influence on the platform

Quote from: VtaGeezer on May 25, 2016, 10:33:54 AM

And what, exactly, do you have against brother West?

VtaGeezer

Quote from: FightTheFuture on May 26, 2016, 10:22:26 AM
And what, exactly, do you have against brother West?
West is a '60s radical cliche; a dinosaur.  He's the only Sanders pick who's instantly identifiable as a career Far Leftie, one who sees racism in everything.  I think his presence, along with the other radicals Sanders appointed, will allow the Clinton crowd to say "see...Bernie IS a commie radical." and erase much of Sanders' positive influence in bringing the plight of the middle class to the fore.  West has some positives though; he seems to oppose the reparations movement that I believe is a hidden Clinton goal.

Juan

My ancestors were brought here as indentured servants - I hope I can get in on the reparations gravy train.