• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

albrecht

Andy just lost my vote by the misuse of "begs the question." A pet-peeve, annoyance of mine. As a lawyer, and time-traveler, he should know better.

Quote from: Nobody on June 08, 2016, 11:06:31 PM
Heather, if the NSA wasted their time monitoring this programme that would be an unanswerable argument for the permanent revocation of their funding.

There's some desk jockey at the NSA who said to himself "I can make $75,000 a year listening to this crap" for national security reasons. He'll find a reason to justify his budget.

I_Speculate

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 08, 2016, 11:10:46 PM
Yeah, I have my off nights. :P 

I should have known Bateman was pulling a fast one, lol. ;D Won't bite on that again.  ::) Oh look.  My starr is all shiny again.  ;)

I'm assigning you ( for now ) a current magnitude of -12.6 ; which considering the scale is not that bad.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Ghost Nutter on June 08, 2016, 11:11:29 PM
I  took something for that
Thank you Ghost.  You're a good and kind soul! ;)

trostol

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 08, 2016, 11:12:36 PM
There's some desk jockey at the NSA who said to himself "I can make $75,000 a year listening to this crap" for national security reasons. He'll find a reason to justify his budget.

i'd "listen" for 75k a year too

albrecht

Yep but, more likely a contractor whose bosses encourage and write up stuff to ensure that it is 'important' that this tripe in monitored.

starrmtn001

Quote from: I_Speculate on June 08, 2016, 11:13:24 PM
I'm assigning you ( for now ) a current magnitude of -12.6 1.46; which considering the scale is not that bad.
There.  Fixed yer typo fer ya, Speckie.  Siriusly! ;) ;D

Nobody

Quote from: albrecht on June 08, 2016, 11:09:18 PM
Now, if this was Al Queada/Illegal-immigrant/Daesh radio program it would likely be not monitored or, at least, not acted upon!

I can't help but speculate on how much more entertaining this programme would be if Heather were shilling for one of those groups rather for than Art Bell.  :)

Nobody

Quote from: albrecht on June 08, 2016, 11:11:51 PM
Andy just lost my vote by the misuse of "begs the question." A pet-peeve, annoyance of mine.

Are you referring to when people say, "begs the question" when they ought to be saying, "raises the question"?

albrecht

Quote from: Nobody on June 08, 2016, 11:24:36 PM
Are you referring to when people say, "begs the question" when they ought to be saying, "raises the question"?
Yes. I hate the misuse. I think teaching of formal, and informal, as in this case, fallacies should be taught in schools again. Logic should be one of the tenets of education.

Nobody

The NSA may need to increase his salary to 100K a year if most of the programmes are as dull and lifeless as this one.  :(

I_Speculate

Quote from: albrecht on June 08, 2016, 11:26:54 PM
Yes. I hate the misuse. I think teaching of formal, and informal, as in this case, fallacies should be taught in schools again. Logic should be one of the tenets of education.

I speculate that you may have a misplaced comma in your sentence.

Quote from: albrecht on June 08, 2016, 11:09:18 PM
Now, if this was Al Queada/Illegal-immigrant/Daesh radio program it would likely be not monitored or, at least, not acted upon!

I wonder if there is a Mexican branch of Al Qaeda named "Al Quesadilla".

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on June 08, 2016, 11:11:51 PM
Andy just lost my vote by the misuse of "begs the question." A pet-peeve, annoyance of mine. As a lawyer, and time-traveler, he should know better.

Also a couple times he's used a hard-g where a soft-g is called for, e.g. 'hegemony' and 'Regina'.  Maybe it's a linguistic development which he encountered in the future.

Nobody

Logic should be one of the tenets of education.

I suspect it is not currently so because giving young people the ability to think logically would render the emotional appeals of American politicians largely ineffective.

albrecht

Quote from: I_Speculate on June 08, 2016, 11:29:13 PM
I was thinking that myself actually! Wondering: should use some parentheses, but I'm always criticized for those.  How should I have phrased it? Seriously.

ps: I also have a weird keyboard issue (virus, just old) that some keys make "\" or other extraneous characters when I type sometimes. Odd. I found an old one after my other one went kaput but it could be a UK or even German keyboard (I forget when/where I got it) and not sure how/if it is simply the printing on the board or if it "connects," somehow to different characters and makes characters different. Though this is not the problem in the above problem you mentioned.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: I_Speculate on June 08, 2016, 11:29:13 PM

That's your name, you don't have to open with it too.

I_Speculate

Quote from: albrecht on June 08, 2016, 11:35:34 PM
I was thinking that myself actually! Wondering: should use some parentheses, but I'm always criticized for those.  How should I have phrased it? Seriously.

ps: I also have a weird keyboard issue (virus, just old) that some keys make "\" or other extraneous characters when I type sometimes. Odd. I found an old one after my other one went kaput but it could be a UK or even German keyboard (I forget when/where I got it) and not sure how/if it is simply the printing on the board or if it "connects," somehow to different characters and makes characters different. Though this is not the problem in the above problem you mentioned.

If I am not mistaken, I may be ; you would use the coma to substitute the use of the word 'and' .

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 08, 2016, 11:30:42 PM
I wonder if there is a Mexican branch of Al Qaeda named "Al Quesadilla".
I find funny these stories of girls named "ISIS" and etc. Interestingly, going to check myself in now, when they first appeared years ago I was: Egyptian god, space station etc and then happened upon Clyde Lewis also making the "connections" some weeks later when I was taking a piss and turned on my bathroom radio. :o

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: I_Speculate on June 08, 2016, 11:37:54 PM
If I am not mistaken, I may be ; you would use the coma to substitute the use of the word 'and' .

Better back that semi-colon up against your "be," mister!  >:(

I_Speculate

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 08, 2016, 11:36:16 PM

While I Speculate

that your opinion is a valid one....

We must agree to disagree during this current moon cycle.

Nobody

Quote from: albrecht on June 08, 2016, 11:35:34 PM

Well, since you did ask (and therefore have only yourself to blame), how about:

I think teaching of formal and informal (as in this case) fallacies should be taught in schools again.

I_Speculate

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 08, 2016, 11:40:42 PM
Better back that semi-colon up against your "be," mister!  >:(

Only if you agree to get rid of the coma after your misquoted be :(

Quote from: Roswells, Art on June 08, 2016, 11:36:16 PM

You better be here for Hoagie

For all you Bobo lovers out there in #BoboNation, Equus (a movie about a young man who makes self love around horses) will be on Turner Classic Movies in about 15 minutes (2am EST).

https://youtu.be/sdF2aKqtJhY

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: I_Speculate on June 08, 2016, 11:42:51 PM
Only if you agree to get rid of the coma after your misquoted be :(

It's not misquoted. I was quoting you.  ;)

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Darth Sandra on June 08, 2016, 11:42:52 PM
You better be here for Hoagie

I don't think so. This thread is pretty funny though, at the moment. Maybe I just love grammar humor and never knew it.

albrecht

Quote from: Nobody on June 08, 2016, 11:42:15 PM
Well, since you did ask (and therefore have only yourself to blame), how about:
Ha. I still can't find a reference where commas shouldn't be used in that case. Though, ( ;) ) I welcome it.