• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your most hated band?

Started by 3OctaveFart, December 03, 2015, 03:19:51 PM

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 04, 2015, 09:19:29 PM
Milli Vanilli. I believed in Rob and Fab and they let me down. I can't forgive that.

My mom had a crush on those 2. I don't know if she ever found out that they were frauds but I didn't tell her.  I wanted to barf everytime Mom was watching a Milli Vanilli video but I held my breath and hung in til the video was finished.   She also liked Chris Isaak, Fine Young Cannibals and Robert Palmer.  Those I can understand.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on December 04, 2015, 08:35:34 PM
Haha! I suppose you like those dogs The Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan as well?

I have everything Bob Dylan recorded. I probably only have 3-4 GD songs in my iTunes library.

I like all of the Dylan eras for different reasons. The Times They are a Changing was the first LP I ever owned.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 04, 2015, 09:25:01 PM
My mom had a crush on those 2. I don't know if she ever found out that they were frauds but I didn't tell her.  I wanted to barf everytime Mom was watching a Milli Vanilli video but I held my breath and hung in til the video was finished.

You sound like the kind of good, considerate son my mother always wanted.

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 04, 2015, 09:19:29 PM
Milli Vanilli. I believed in Rob and Fab and they let me down. I can't forgive that.
Did they really want to hurt you?

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 04, 2015, 09:40:35 PM
You sound like the kind of good, considerate son my mother always wanted.

Thanks, I think.  I tried hard to be that way because my older brother was wild, rebellious and sometimes abusive (when he was paranoid after using drugs).  I didn't want to make her and Dad's life any harder than it was.  I still went a bit wild.  I liked to drink every now and then when I was young- not as an alcoholic would just for a good time.  I tried pot once under extreme peer pressure but nothing harder than that.

Drugs made my brother schizophrenic so I basically avoided them at all costs.  He had several bad LSD trips.  He also had some weird sexual proclivities which he didn't try to hide and were rather embarrassing at times.

I imagine if I grew up in a 'normal situation" that I probably would have been a bit wilder.  Dealing with his situation caused me to grow up very fast in many ways but without the full range of life's experiences.

Quote from: ItsOver on December 04, 2015, 09:41:19 PM
Did they really want to hurt you?

I give him credit for not pretending to be something he wasn't, but that's all.    ;D

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 04, 2015, 09:27:50 PM
I have everything Bob Dylan recorded. I probably only have 3-4 GD songs in my iTunes library.

I like all of the Dylan eras for different reasons. The Times They are a Changing was the first LP I ever owned.

Do you have his one Asylum album?

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 04, 2015, 10:18:57 PM
Thanks, I think.  I tried hard to be that way because my older brother was wild, rebellious and sometimes abusive (when he was paranoid after using drugs).  I didn't want to make her and Dad's life any harder than it was.  I still went a bit wild.  I liked to drink every now and then when I was young- not as an alcoholic would just for a good time.  I tried pot once under extreme peer pressure but nothing harder than that.

Drugs made my brother schizophrenic so I basically avoided them at all costs.  He had several bad LSD trips.  He also had some weird sexual proclivities which he didn't try to hide and were rather embarrassing at times.

I imagine if I grew up in a 'normal situation" that I probably would have been a bit wilder.

No offense or sarcasm intended.  I was just riffing on what you said about not telling your mom that Milli Vanilli were frauds.  Take care, man. It sounds like you're hanging tough, and I wish you well!

zeebo

Hootie and the Blowfish.  Hootie's ok, but a couple of the Blowfish just rub me the wrong way.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 04, 2015, 10:18:57 PM

I imagine if I grew up in a 'normal situation" that I probably would have been a bit wilder.  Dealing with his situation caused me to grow up very fast in many ways but without the full range of life's experiences.
The Dylan/Cash stuff was good. Dylan doing IBM commericals, not good.
I hear you about drugs. Personally I think the "war on drugs" is a mistake for many reasons but also because of what it does to people with problems. Oh, you're addicted- let's slap a criminal history on you so even IF you get better you can never find a job. Never mind the asset forfeiture, corruption, and disincentive to try to get help if one thinks they have a problem. Not to say drugs are 'good' necessarily because clearly, even 'soft' or 'smart' or 'prescription', can be problematic but the way our laws/system treats it is ridiculous and harmful (though generates money, I guess, for some.)
Hated bands: when they start to "sell out" or "new avenues" that are really just new producers, record companies, MTV video, mainstream projects.

zeebo

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 04, 2015, 10:54:46 PM
At The Fillmore beatchez!

I know the place well.  Have a great show Aldous!   8)

albrecht

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 04, 2015, 10:54:46 PM
At The Fillmore beatchez!
Nice! I assume you will be calling in for Open-Lines and mute Los Lobos's "devices" to do so!

Quote from: zeebo on December 04, 2015, 10:47:17 PM
Hootie and the Blowfish.  Hootie's ok, but a couple of the Blowfish just rub me the wrong way.

They can also kill you if the chef doesn't clean them correctly.

whoozit

"Poison fish, poison fish, ahh... tasty fish." 

Hootie/Darius Rucker kicks ass. He is now a country music star. I don't listen to a lot of country music, but I love his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEwxWWPyhg

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on December 05, 2015, 08:03:40 AM
Hootie/Darius Rucker kicks ass. He is now a country music star. I don't listen to a lot of country music, but I love his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEwxWWPyhg

That`s my homie. I love the guy. Very talented. BUT whatever you do....NEVER call him "Hootie."

Just a few off the top of my head...

Soundgarden
Green  Day
Coldplay
Black Eyed Peas
Nickelback

And every single boy band ever created.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: FightTheFuture on December 05, 2015, 08:34:35 AM
Just a few off the top of my head...

Soundgarden
Green  Day
Coldplay
Black Eyed Peas
Nickelback

Looks like you pretty much cashiered a generation of music in one post.  Well done!

Journey, and their now ubiquitous "Don't Stop Believin'", which thanks to The Sopranos no man, woman or child can avoid hearing without relocating to a cave in Afghanistan.

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 05, 2015, 08:47:41 AM
Looks like you pretty much cashiered a generation of music in one post.  Well done!
Yes!  I actually like music from the 80's.  MTV actually showed great videos.  But, man, did it take a nose dive after that.  The first sign it was going over the cliff was so-called "grunge."  Over 25 years of absolute suckage. 

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 05, 2015, 08:41:11 AM
Even the Beatles?

I never really considered them a boy band. At least not anywhere close to the modern definition. The Beatles had real talent. They came up the hard way; playing tiny venues -- like The Cavern -- with loyal fans.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 05, 2015, 08:47:41 AM

Duke, sorry buddy. At least you still have your Spice Girls;D

analog kid

I loved the music in the early-to-mid 90s. Especially The Smashing Pumpkins. Gish and Siamese Dream are amazing albums.

zeebo

Quote from: analog kid on December 05, 2015, 12:50:10 PM
I loved the music in the early-to-mid 90s. Especially The Smashing Pumpkins. Gish and Siamese Dream are amazing albums.

90's were hit-and-miss but agree there were some gems incl. those you mention. 

For me the music pretty much stopped after that with the ascent of hip-hop, young country, and auto-tune dance-pop.  The only exception is that groovy instrumental downtempo stuff I listen to all day long.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: FightTheFuture on December 05, 2015, 11:13:33 AM
Duke, sorry buddy. At least you still have your Spice Girls;D

No harm, no foul.  Not a fan of any of those groups, but did hear them as I had a daughter in high school during their heydays.  I was just impressed with how efficiently you deep sixed them with a single post.

The Back Door Boys and their hit I Want It That Way.  We all know how they wanted IT.

analog kid

Quote from: zeebo on December 05, 2015, 02:21:28 PM
90's were hit-and-miss but agree there were some gems incl. those you mention. 

For me the music pretty much stopped after that with the ascent of hip-hop, young country, and auto-tune dance-pop.  The only exception is that groovy instrumental downtempo stuff I listen to all day long.

Later 90s into the 2000s was a black hole of crap. Don't forget "numetal" and rap metal.