• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is Amy Martin Real?

Started by exiskorlan, November 30, 2015, 04:52:50 PM

exiskorlan

Silly question but it is in my head and I can't get it out.
I have been catching up on My Midnight in the Desert via the archives and I find myself thinking that Amy Martin is an AI or computer voice.  Looking online I don't find much evidence that she is a real person.
She is an actual human being right? Or is it a nice advancement in text to speech?

Ciardelo

She's very real. I saw her at the Piggly Wiggly buying deli meats.

indigoo

Quote from: exiskorlan on November 30, 2015, 04:52:50 PM
Silly question but it is in my head and I can't get it out.
I have been catching up on My Midnight in the Desert via the archives and I find myself thinking that Amy Martin is an AI or computer voice.  Looking online I don't find much evidence that she is a real person.
She is an actual human being right? Or is it a nice advancement in text to speech?
Isn't she the Haunted Skeptic? Who has a massive online presence...At least as far as I have seen.

Auslandia

I dunno but her news reading voice is really weird.

AppealPlay

It's my belief she is just a BBC News text-to-speech program.

weeberwubber

Quote from: themudking on November 30, 2015, 09:31:19 PM
is this her: http://amymartin.org/

I'd vote for her to read the news in the same voice as that TED talk if the same person, but my guess is that it's not.

Auslandia

News reader voices are usually weird.  Why can't people just read the news in their normal voices?

coaster

She does a good job. The news is told and we know she's not going to implode like Leo Ashhole. The only time I questioned her was on her first round on the news, when she used a real monotone voice, and even she thought it was a bad choice. Shes been doing good ever since. And it seems shes having fun. Amy is ok in my book.

GravitySucks

Quote from: coaster on November 30, 2015, 10:37:33 PM
She does a good job. The news is told and we know she's not going to implode like Leo Ashhole. The only time I questioned her was on her first round on the news, when she used a real monotone voice, and even she thought it was a bad choice. Shes been doing good ever since. And it seems shes having fun. Amy is ok in my book.

I'm good with it. Sometimes I tune it out, but it is a nice "accent" for the show.  And I don't mean the voice, just a nice addition.

AppealPlay

Quote from: coaster on November 30, 2015, 10:37:33 PM

I just wish she didn't sound like a robot is all.  She does an okay job, like you said, but some sort of human inflection would be welcomed.

coaster

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 30, 2015, 10:40:42 PM
I'm good with it. Sometimes I tune it out, but it is a nice "accent" for the show.  And I don't mean the voice, just a nice addition.
At first, I wanted Art to read the news. But I realized things evolve, and now it seems like a team effort. Art Bells team bringing the shit every night. art at the desk, Rowland doing the weather, and Amy in the news chopper. Redacted screaming "fuck it, we'll do it live". Team Bell, baby.
I am drunk as hell right now. So the above may not have made sense. I stand by my bullshit. Cheerio.

coaster

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on November 30, 2015, 10:42:18 PM
I just wish she didn't sound like a robot is all.  She does an okay job, like you said, but some sort of human inflection would be welcomed.
I think people read the news ina somber monotone voice. I don't think it's deliberate.  To give the dickhead credit, Leo had a great voice for news. He fucked a word up here or there, but it was pretty good. A shame he is the way he is. Idiot had a future, but his little gig went to his head.
Little man 2ho thought he was owed the wrold, used his gig as a jump start, failed. Wouldnt hate to hear him again, but he needs to check his psychosis at the door.

Ciardelo

Quote from: coaster on November 30, 2015, 10:45:31 PM
At first, I wanted Art to read the news. But I realized things evolve, and now it seems like a team effort. Art Bells team bringing the shit every night. art at the desk, Rowland doing the weather, and Amy in the news chopper. Redacted screaming "fuck it, we'll do it live". Team Bell, baby.
I am drunk as hell right now. So the above may not have made sense. I stand by my bullshit. Cheerio.
Team Bell, baby. Too bad Falkie just got top right. This would be a shoo-in.

coaster

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 30, 2015, 10:49:33 PM
Team Bell, baby. Too bad Falkie just got top right. This would be a shoo-in.
Falkie. Jesus h christ falkie....I don't have the energy.

AppealPlay

Quote from: coaster on November 30, 2015, 10:48:08 PM
I think people read the news ina somber monotone voice. I don't think it's deliberate.  To give the dickhead credit, Leo had a great voice for news. He fucked a word up here or there, but it was pretty good. A shame he is the way he is. Idiot had a future, but his little gig went to his head.
Little man 2ho thought he was owed the wrold, used his gig as a jump start, failed. Wouldnt hate to hear him again, but he needs to check his psychosis at the door.

Agreed.  Leo has a great voice it's just a shame the dumbass had to go nuts and takes his marbles elsewhere.

PING

Art has friends in R&D at Apple HQ. Amy is the next gen Siri. She'll be available in the Iphone 7 & 7Plus

At least she doesn't have that fake 'talking like there's a coat hanger in the mouth'

VtaGeezer

I find her BBC-like affectation of putting the accent at the wrong place for American ears to be really annoying.  Since the news she reads is generally three days old, why not drop it and just do weird and paranormal tidbits.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on December 01, 2015, 12:03:07 PM
I find her BBC-like affectation of putting the accent at the wrong place for American ears to be really annoying.  Since the news she reads is generally three days old, why not drop it and just do weird and paranormal tidbits.

A second vote for alien-inspired poetry.

How about Strieber reading excerpts from his novels?

SredniVashtar

She reminds of that woman we have at railways stations that tells you where the train is going to, and not to leave any unattended packages lying around. It's a very odd delivery, and her weird stresses zone me out of what she is saying - which usually isn't all that interesting anyway, so perhaps that's a good thing. Leo used to clip out the breath pauses and she does the same, so there is a lack of continuity to what she is saying, making it all seem artificial and off-putting. I don't know that she is some AI thing, but she has a weird way of saying "Dark Matter Radio NEWS" that makes me jump out of my seat, it's far too emphatic.

VtaGeezer

She could be AI.  I'm now getting marketing calls that react to my response.  Except for the lag, it's hardly obvious that you talking to an auto-dial computer.

NoobSaibot

I thought she was a computer voice, too, for a while. I had to listen real close, but I can hear her take a breath once in a while, which I've never heard a computer voice simulate before...not to say they couldn't, but I don't think it would be worth the extra coding it would take to add. Probably not cost effective for Dark Matter News to pay for something that state of the art. Who knows?

Also, I'm not familiar with Ashcraft going crazy. What happened? I cant find good info on it.

the_peeve

So by having her on air, we prove to Leo he can be replaced immediately. But you guys want to get rid of her so Leo can say he was irreplaceable?

cweb

Quote from: coaster on November 30, 2015, 10:45:31 PM
Fuckin' A.

Quote from: cweb on December 01, 2015, 02:22:06 PM
Fuckin' A.

Made sense too me. Just don't dare mention a word of this on the AB thread... I hate being labeled a "hater."  p.s. Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!

Lt.Uhura

Amy's vocal affectation is nearly identical to classic SNL cast member Laraine Newman's Weekend Update character.

(after ad)  FF to 2:00 and Laraine's report

http://www.screen.yahoo.com/weekend-chevy-chase-000000391.html

scottydawg

Well it gives Art the chance for a pee and pill break! Dontcha knowus  older guys gotta pee alot thanks to all the pills we take to keep the old pump and fart machine :o ;D running! It's good Art doesn't sit in a leather chair or you'd hear a whole bunch of squeaks and toots! :P

ACE of CLUBS

Quote from: Auslandia on November 30, 2015, 09:13:45 PM
I dunno but her news reading voice is really weird.

Les Nessman would be great, as would Ted Baxter.

Quote from: scottydawg on December 01, 2015, 03:12:03 PM
Well it gives Art the chance for a pee and pill break! Dontcha knowus  older guys gotta pee alot thanks to all the pills we take to keep the old pump and fart machine :o ;D running! It's good Art doesn't sit in a leather chair or you'd hear a whole bunch of squeaks and toots! :P

He's broadcasts from his home. I'd be taking dumps during interviews.