• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151120 - Art Bell Open Lines - Live Show Chat

Started by Sandra Kristen, November 20, 2015, 11:07:02 PM

Dr_Blue

This caller sounds like LISA, Barfly....... is this her?

Zzzzillion

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 21, 2015, 12:17:32 AM
I saw what a major aerospace company went through to deal with the issue. It was actually scary watching the extent of the effort. Whether it was warranted, I have no idea, I'm not a programmer but they spent some bucks on that one.

Exactly. Was a great money-making scam. Reference: man-made global warming

Dr_Blue

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 21, 2015, 12:18:20 AM
The Torsion field is something you can't buy. It's a way of life you dedicate yourself too. It is the life force of the universe that controls everything by a frequency of 19.5.
Sounds like a "Hoggie" sandwich?

Spinner

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 21, 2015, 12:05:06 AM
It's Los Angeles, half the population is estranged from their families.
True. Actually Thanksgiving weekend in L.A. The city is pretty quiet and a joy to drive around. Tons of people leave town to go visit their families. And, because Thanksgving is just an American thing, tons of others don't observe the over-eating ritual. 

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 21, 2015, 12:13:18 AM
Well, having programmed since 1978 and then being involved with major Y2K remediation efforts with two major aerospace companies, I know the systems we had to reprogram would not have kept working on 01/01/2000. And every 7 track and 9 track reel to reel tape and most cartridge tapes in every IBM mainframe tape library that used tape library management systems would have had to have the tapes removed to keep them from being automatically reused during normal batch processing.

That includes every bank, investment house, insurance company, auto industry, etc etc.

Believe it or don't. It would have caused a major meltdown. Would it have been the end of the world as we know it?  Who knows.  I was involved in the remediation efforts and I had a room full of food and water. Plus the gold I bought at $270 an ounce and the silver I bought at $6 an ounce is my plan B for retirement.
Correct.
For the Big Iron, yes, Y2K was a major problem. For personal computers, not a problem.

Barfly

Quote from: Dr_Blue on November 21, 2015, 12:18:44 AM
This caller sounds like LISA, Barfly....... is this her?
Woman named Lisa dont marry intelligent people, you have to have some active brain cells to get a Ham license

Quote from: Barfly on November 21, 2015, 12:21:08 AM
Woman named Lisa dont marry intelligent people, you have to have some active brain cells to get a Ham license

Given the HAM callers on this show I highly doubt you need brain cells to get a ham license.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 21, 2015, 12:19:16 AM
It wasn't a money making effort for our internal systems, it was a profit drain.  Plus there were contracts we didn't even bid on because we couldn't afford to take our top people off our own remediations.

jazmunda

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 21, 2015, 12:21:07 AM
MITD dating.  Brilliant.

BellGab should have a dating subforum. MV could charge for it and make tens of dollars.

Barfly

trostol

Quote from: jazmunda on November 21, 2015, 12:22:12 AM
BellGab should have a dating subforum. MV could charge for it and make tens of dollars.

i think that might be too much...tens of cents

Rocky4228

I'm sure there are plenty of people hoping the shit hits the fan so they can get to the raping and killing.

SciFiAuthor

There may have been some of that, but it definitely would have screwed up what I was doing. What I did wouldn't have ended the world, but it was sufficiently scary to contemplate what might happen if something were missed.

ShayP

Quote from: Rocky4228 on November 21, 2015, 12:23:07 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of people hoping the shit hits the fan so they can get to the raping and killing.

why wait?

MABUSE

Peace through overwhelming firepower. 
The credible deterrent does not know the specifics of any given threat, not does it care, its presence is sufficient to deter most aggression.
**M**

Dr. MD MD

So, you seem to not believe in 99.9% of the stuff discussed here and on MITD but this one thing where there is 99.9% scientific consensus THAT'S a conspiracy?!b ::)

Barfly

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 21, 2015, 12:21:42 AM
Given the HAM callers on this show I highly doubt you need brain cells to get a ham license.
Maybe, those are the desperate nerds that just want to get laid, "Lisa's" go in for the kill

norland2424

we should prep to kill other preppers  to steal their shit

Zzzzillion

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 21, 2015, 12:20:57 AM
Correct.
For the Big Iron, yes, Y2K was a major problem. For personal computers, not a problem.

Nope, as Barfly said, it wasn't anything. My friends who worked in IT, one at a major bank, ran simulations of what would actually happen while the world was panicking in typical press-fed fashion.

Came to the conclusion that there was nothing to worry about.

Turned out they were right. Institutions that didn't spend millions to avoid the Y2K apocalypse went on operation just the same as those that did. Unfortunately, I had stock in some of the sucker corporations, but it didn't end up hurting their bottom line that much.