• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151120 - Art Bell Open Lines - Live Show Chat

Started by Sandra Kristen, November 20, 2015, 11:07:02 PM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: trostol on November 21, 2015, 12:07:12 AM
lol i guess...but..football?

I think it's more a poetic justice thing. The LA area is the home of Premiere Radio.

Quote from: ZomZom on November 21, 2015, 12:05:11 AM
I'm a programmer and I spent many hours fixing Y2K bugs, but I still think it was overblown.  Software fails every day and life goes on.
It was an excellent boost for distributed programming/networking/computing because afterwards, disparate nodes/computers could directly talk to each other without an API.

Quote from: Barfly on November 21, 2015, 12:08:23 AM
Blackberry is back, running Android with a slide out KB again, it may do fairly well

Slide out KB? I kind of miss those honestly.

trostol

Quote from: Donald Noory on November 21, 2015, 12:08:21 AM
I wish Hoaxland would take DMT one night during his show. That would be great.

i think he does

I ran into Y2K problems quite a bit-especially on shit like tool and die machines and older scales, but at that time I was working with lower-level languages.

Barfly

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 21, 2015, 12:08:29 AM
Can you even get skype on a blackberry?
Not sure about the old ones, but im sure you can on the new ones, they run Android

Zzzzillion

Quote from: Barfly on November 21, 2015, 12:08:23 AM
Blackberry is back, running Android with a slide out KB again, it may do fairly well

Ifya' can't beat'em, join'em.

Uncle Duke

That happens and I will listen for the first time.  Flashbacks of "Jelly Pudding".

Spinner

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 20, 2015, 11:57:13 PM
Oh, good. I've been waiting for someone to call Art out on the Y2K nonsense.

Every IT person I knew at the time told me it was BS.

Just admit it Art, you used a fake crisis to make some money.
Gee, maybe they should have let the big corporations know that it was "a fake crisis" because they spent millions fixing it. And they even were thoughtful enough to send my company (and many others) updates on their progress on fixing the problem. We received letters and printed letters from many different businesses, especially banks (we had business relationships with several different banks). And WE had to send out such letters tou our clients.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 21, 2015, 12:11:13 AM
That happens and I will listen for the first time.  Flashbacks of "Jelly Pudding".

I'd avoid it. He'd just interview his producer and discuss his drug experiences in the roaring 40's.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Zzzzillion on November 21, 2015, 12:04:39 AM
See Barfly's post. He knows what he's talking about.

It was a load of BS.

Well, having programmed since 1978 and then being involved with major Y2K remediation efforts with two major aerospace companies, I know the systems we had to reprogram would not have kept working on 01/01/2000. And every 7 track and 9 track reel to reel tape and most cartridge tapes in every IBM mainframe tape library that used tape library management systems would have had to have the tapes removed to keep them from being automatically reused during normal batch processing.

That includes every bank, investment house, insurance company, auto industry, etc etc.

Believe it or don't. It would have caused a major meltdown. Would it have been the end of the world as we know it?  Who knows.  I was involved in the remediation efforts and I had a room full of food and water. Plus the gold I bought at $270 an ounce and the silver I bought at $6 an ounce is my plan B for retirement.

Zzzzillion

"We had a head on collision and passed through each other"

Why doesn't Art ever call bullshit on these people? Fear of scaring off other wackjob callers? It'd make for so much more interesting radio if he'd just tell these people they're full of shit.

norland2424

dont well all lose ethics when we make accounts on bellgab hahah

Zzzzillion

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 21, 2015, 12:13:18 AM
Well, having programmed since 1978 and then being involved with major Y2K remediation efforts with two major aerospace companies, I know the systems we had to reprogram would not have kept working on 01/01/2000. And every 7 track and 9 track reel to reel tape and most cartridge tapes in every IBM mainframe tape library that used tape library management systems would have had to have the tapes removed to keep them from being automatically reused during normal batch processing.

That includes every bank, investment house, insurance company, auto industry, etc etc.

Believe it or don't. It would have caused a major meltdown. Would it have been the end of the world as we know it?  Who knows.  I was involved in the remediation efforts and I had a room full of food and water. Plus the gold I bought at $270 an ounce and the silver I bought at $6 an ounce is my plan B for retirement.

Bullshit.

Barfly

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 21, 2015, 12:10:06 AM
I ran into Y2K problems quite a bit-especially on shit like tool and die machines and older scales, but at that time I was working with lower-level languages.
Most of these where a bios update OR to "trick" the bios.
I'm very familiar with CNC coding(i wrote more lines manually G code than i want to remember) and older machines, including old NC machines that run tape readers.
Everything was easy fix.

MABUSE

He'd be back alligator clipping an old Bulova Watch to an IBM Thinkpad to measure torsions fields at Machu Pichu like he did on television ten years back.
**M**

Dr_Blue

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 21, 2015, 12:13:34 AM
It's nothing compared to the power of the torsion field
you have said "torsion field" many times tonight. Where can I buy this said item? Does Walmart carry it?  :)

starrmtn001

Quote from: norland2424 on November 21, 2015, 12:14:15 AM
dont well all lose ethics when we make accounts on bellgab hahah
No!  They actually get better, for some.

Zzzzillion

Quote from: Spinner on November 21, 2015, 12:11:41 AM

Gee, maybe they should have let the big corporations know that it was "a fake crisis" because they spent millions fixing it. And they even were thoughtful enough to send my company (and many others) updates on their progress on fixing the problem. We received letters and printed letters from many different businesses, especially banks (we had business relationships with several different banks). And WE had to send out such letters tou our clients.

Yes, we should've let the corporations know that. Corporations make stupid decisions based on nonsense every day. So yes, you're right, this would've been a great fake bullet to dodge.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 21, 2015, 12:13:18 AM

I saw what a major aerospace company went through to deal with the issue. It was actually scary watching the extent of the effort. Whether it was warranted, I have no idea, I'm not a programmer but they spent some bucks on that one.

Quote from: Dr_Blue on November 21, 2015, 12:15:58 AM
you have said "torsion field" many times tonight. Where can I buy this said item? Does Walmart carry it?  :)

The Torsion field is something you can't buy. It's a way of life you dedicate yourself too. It is the life force of the universe that controls everything by a frequency of 19.5.