• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

sydtron

Where in the hell are all the NDT memes!?!?!   Im astounded!!

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 10:56:53 PM
like ya said..MORE FACTS!!!! lol
Hell, even gravity is a theory.
Someone call in and have him explain floaters.

inuk2600

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:56:08 PM
It's because Andrew Siemeon, Jason Wright, and others are cautiously leaning towards this....but you're right more data is needed. There isn't a conclusion. It's entirely possible it's a natural phenomenon we've never thought of, but what I've read is the data that they have fits the theoretical models for what a Dyson swarm signature would read as if observed from afar. So, this is why the Dyson swarm is starting to lean towards being the theoretical model that fits the best with the data they currently have.

Call me crazy but I started leaning towards comet like phenomena.

K_Dubb

Quote from: sydtron on October 29, 2015, 10:58:20 PM

We exist in a post-meme universe here.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 29, 2015, 10:58:45 PM
Call me crazy but I started leaning towards comet like phenomena.

It's been all but ruled out by Siemeon, etc.

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on October 29, 2015, 10:48:04 PM
I wonder what Michelle from Japan is gonna ask Tyson.  Guaranteed Michelle will find a way to merge astrophysics and gender identity.

Don't we misgender and oppress astronauts by 'allowing' them to explore the BLACK of space but only if they wear bulky WHITE suits, i.e. the misogynistic armor of the patriarchy?

SaucyRossy

This is some epic stuff, if you want something "scary" you can always turn Dave on for a bit and remind yourself of what we used to have as our only option.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: sydtron on October 29, 2015, 10:58:20 PM
That's the interview on Memeland, not here.

=Schlyder=

well if there is one star with this structure around it... there will be more.

trostol

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:59:20 PM

he sounded like he was saying otherwise on RCH's crapfest the other night..he sounded like he was saying what we are..need more facts and Dick was pushing his buttons

Zenman

I'm thinking it's probably not a great idea to point all the telescopes to one spot in space. This whole thing could be a big trick so an alien space ship fleet can come in from the other direction.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:48:21 PM
Is Kaku credible?

I have a lot of respect for Kaku. I would like to see the complete transcript of the interview and not just (postulating here) a bunch of cherry picked quotes to write an article that is exciting.

If I wasn't on my iphone I would highlight some key phrases like might, could be, right out of sci-fi.

Kaku is a theoretical physicist that esposuses the various types of civilizations. He hasn't had the chance to read the studies and he is not an astrophysicist. It appears to me that he is postulating things that could be, not based on data. I'm telling you that they still do not have the full spectrum captured and have plans to truly and do that. I think it will be a long time before we ever know what it even could be, let alone what it is.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Zenman on October 29, 2015, 11:01:05 PM
I'm thinking it's probably not a great idea to point all the telescopes to one spot in space. This whole thing could be a big trick so an alien space ship fleet can come in from the other direction.

It's an alien conshperasee!!!

Barfly

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:56:08 PM
It's because Andrew Siemeon, Jason Wright, and others are cautiously leaning towards this....but you're right more data is needed. There isn't a conclusion. It's entirely possible it's a natural phenomenon we've never thought of, but what I've read is the data that they have fits the theoretical models for what a Dyson swarm signature would read as if observed from afar. So, this is why the Dyson swarm is starting to lean towards being the theoretical model that fits the best with the data they currently have.
Actually we may never know, i could be something that occurs often in space, just think we only recently discovered black holes, there may be many other anomalies we dont understand.
Its a vast place to explore, we haven't even explored our own oceans much, space is a bit larger!
All kinds of shit out there we cant comprehend.

ShayP

Quote from: malachi.martini on October 29, 2015, 10:59:55 PM
Don't we misgender and oppress astronauts by 'allowing' them to explore the BLACK of space but only if they wear bulky WHITE suits, i.e. the misogynistic armor of the patriarchy?

K_Dubb

That's the smartest thing I've heard yet.

zmbabwe

Quote from: malachi.martini on October 29, 2015, 10:59:55 PM

LOL.  The host of a flat earth show today brought up the fact that NASA spaceships and suits are white because of the whole white hat/black hat good/evil thing.

GravitySucks

+1

Here comes Planet X

SaucyRossy

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 11:01:03 PM
he sounded like he was saying otherwise on RCH's crapfest the other night..he sounded like he was saying what we are..need more facts and Dick was pushing his buttons

Dude, here's a fact that he and others have said. If there was a massive comet cloud blocking sunlight, there would be a large infrared signature observed due to the massive amounts of dust and particles being warmed up by the sunlight it's obstructing. There was no infrared signature. Fact.

AppealPlay

I hope the GIS crew shows up tomorrow.  Has that been confirmed yet?

inuk2600

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:59:20 PM

I'm suspicious that the WISE infrared/spactra data might not lign up with the flux dips. All they say is the data was taken at Q5, I don't know what that means.