• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151026 - Dr. Michael Lynch – The Ghost Phenomenon - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 26, 2015, 04:57:57 PM

trostol

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 26, 2015, 11:01:39 PM
Every indicator is pointing to it. Technological development over the last 20 years has proven to be exponential as Von Neumann predicted and there seems to be no reason for it to slow down. If it doesn't, then the Singularity will occur around 2045 with the advent of superintelligence.

i just see the renewable energy part a hard sell atm

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert on October 26, 2015, 10:57:23 PM
Do they have observ'ns from sites remote enough to triangulate with a significant base?  That's the only way I could see of determining the distance of a non-emitting object.
Since all observations have been made from earth, the only differential is our orbit around the sun. In relation to 1500 light years, that is stationary over a 4 year period.

Quote from: malachi.martini on October 26, 2015, 10:23:38 PM
Seth is the last person on the planet that wants to confirm alien life, yet he's in charge of searching for alien life... Well done SETI saboteurs.

Last person that wants to confirm alien life found by anyone but him...but I'm sure when he tries to get funding for his project he is full of sly winks and nods.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: mcclellanrobert on October 26, 2015, 11:05:23 PM
I missed the open. Exactly what type of "Doctor" is this dude?

Tried to figure that out earlier, as well as what university conferred the degree.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Robert on October 26, 2015, 11:00:00 PM
Is the translational motion of the object known?  How?  AFAIK the only way they have of detecting it is its occult'n of a single star, and from that you can't get whether it's rotation or xlation.

Kepler observed the transits several times over a long period of time, so if it's an object in the foreground its motion through space should have produced differences in the light curve. From what I know, it did not.

Robert

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 26, 2015, 11:04:04 PMSince all observations have been made from earth, the only differential is our orbit around the sun. In relation to 1500 light years, that is stationary over a 4 year period.
It's an insignificant base relative to the altitude of the star.  But it could be a significant base relative to an interposed object.  The question is whether there's a reasonable size possible for a solid object with the occulting characteristics seen at a distance short enough to make the Earth's revolutionary base relatively significant.

coaster

Come on Art. Its dust. I can't believe Art is so floored by two stupid pictures.

Kolchak

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 26, 2015, 11:06:28 PM
Tried to figure that out earlier, as well as what university conferred the degree.

According to Facebook, it's Southwest MO State Univeristy. What's the degree in? No clue.

Daggit

Oh Art. Say it aint so? You aren't just buying the Orb bullshit. You're lapping it up.

Quote from: chandlerkaiden on October 26, 2015, 11:02:21 PM
I sold mine for a doughnut. Fortunately my neighborino didn't know I'd already promised it to my wife Marge when I married her.
LOL

Q-Pi

Dead Air is kind of taken, but maybe Downtown Deb would be psyched to have the shout-out... Is the Venn intersection of Deadheads and Bellheads really so small that no one has mentioned it?

http://klcc.org/programs/dead-air

Rocky4228

By the way, here's a picture of the mysterious ghost footprint my brother discovered the other day that I mentioned on here.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: trostol on October 26, 2015, 11:03:10 PM
i just see the renewable energy part a hard sell atm

Lockheed-Martin will produce a working compact fusion reactor prototype within five years, and production will begin in ten. That's actually an indicator of the Singularity in and of itself, governments spent all that money building ITER but exponential technological advancement moved faster than government and it will become superfluous before it is ever completed.

Daggit

Quote from: Kolchak on October 26, 2015, 11:08:11 PM
According to Facebook, it's Southwest MO State Univeristy. What's the degree in? No clue.
\

I found his degree.

Catsmile

Quote from: coaster on October 26, 2015, 11:07:59 PM
Come on Art. Its dust. I can't believe Art is so floored by two stupid pictures.

Hes got 2 hours to kill...

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Kolchak on October 26, 2015, 11:08:11 PM

Oh, didn't look at his Facebook page, just the two websites listed on Art's site.  Thanks!

Faster345

Listening live on KABC...no 1 hour delay. But the regular KABC listeners missed Arts welcome message and the show just went right into the guest, no lead in or segue or re-introduction of the guest or anything. And didn't the show start tonight with The Chase? The KABC show started with Laura Brannigan's Self Control. Kinda weird. Otherwise, GREAT to hear Art in L.A. on terrestrial radio once again. Cheers!