• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151021 - Dr. William Forstchen - EMPs - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 21, 2015, 08:03:43 PM

Juan Cena

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 21, 2015, 10:55:34 PM
That's correct. And, if you fell off a space elevator, you wouldn't float in space, you'd just drop straight down.

Speaking of atmosphere, did you read my posts about the "alien structure" possibly being a gas torus like Larry Niven's Smoke Ring in The Intergal Trees?

Ciardelo

Quote from: Schlyder7 on October 21, 2015, 10:58:29 PM
for an object to burn in the atmosphere it needs to be traveling through the atmosphere at a very high velocity.
Thanks! I was picturing that the elevator would be moving fast because the Earth rotating, but if the atmosphere moves too, it wouldn't be rubbing on the elevator.

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Schlyder7 on October 21, 2015, 10:58:29 PM
for an object to burn in the atmosphere it needs to be traveling through the atmosphere at a very high velocity.
so the very end of the elevator shaft will really be hauling mass. Kind of like the end tip on a huge wind mill. Sometimes the tip speeds are over 100 mph

ChandlersDad

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 21, 2015, 10:53:58 PM
So I guess the atmosphere rotates too with the earth?

Terrorists would love attacking this "elevator".

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 21, 2015, 11:01:37 PM
As the Gravity expert in the forum, I would have to inject that it depends on where you were at on the space elevator.  Past a certain point you would be in orbit.  At 23,000 miles up you could let go and grab it again because you are at geosync. Above that and you would be in an orbit that would last a long, long time, below that your orbit would degrade and eventually you would renter.

That's true, I simplified that too much.

ChandlersDad

Who would finance this? Certainly not the fossil fuel industry that currently hoard billions of dollars. Maybe they could finance it via contributions for about a 1000 years? Seriously, I do not see how anything like this would be built until we have a global government that could commission such giant projects.

Uncle Duke

First meteor.....and some interesting air traffic.  Couple of helos circling SE of me at probably 2K ft, with an F-16 flying what could be top cover.

trostol

Quote from: ChandlersDad on October 21, 2015, 11:06:27 PM
Who would finance this? Certainly not the fossil fuel industry that currently hoard billions of dollars. Maybe they could finance it via contributions for about a 1000 years? Seriously, I do not see how anything like this would be built until we have a global government that could commission such giant projects.

well if you ask Hoagie..ELON MUSK!!!! and he would do it out of the goodness of his heart like he said last night lol

Quote from: ChandlersDad on October 21, 2015, 11:06:27 PM

For the near future, the Moon will be a better candidate for the first space elevator.

=Schlyder=

the costs involved for one single thread to space is ridiculous and would be better spent on other methods to get to space more efficiently.

norland2424

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 21, 2015, 11:07:33 PM
First meteor.....and some interesting air traffic.  Couple of helos circling SE of me at probably 2K ft, with an F-16 flying what could be top cover.

what state are you in?

WOTR

Maybe "the Donald" can make this project in order to make America great again and undertake a great national project at the equator... ;)

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Juan Cena on October 21, 2015, 11:01:42 PM
Speaking of atmosphere, did you read my posts about the "alien structure" possibly being a gas torus like Larry Niven's Smoke Ring in The Intergal Trees?

I didn't see it. But I would think that to block that much light you'd need something solid within the torus.