• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Atheism

Started by doug, September 16, 2015, 08:14:55 PM

doug

No wise man has the power
To reason away
What a fool believes

Eddie Coyle

The success of the Doobie Brothers does make one doubt God's existence.

Dyna-X

At risk of getting my head guillotined, I'll come out and say that I wouldn't call myself an Atheist in the classic Captial 'A' Richard Dawkins sense, I just lean more towards being a 'non-personal-theist' that does not believe in a personal in-your-face kind of God.  There may well be a Creator or Grand Architect of the Universe, but this being communicates to us through how the machinery of the Universe works.  Its kind of like that sense Art had the night he posted the Hubble photo, with the Pillars of Creation.

Wintermute

The quicker you learn that the "my invisible friend is better than your invisible friend" mentality is a waste of resources, the happier, more compassionate life you will lead. Belief system does not matter if you don't have altruism.

henge0stone

A real wiseman would be wise enough to realize that they don't know everything. To state 'I KNOW for sure there is no God' is just as much of a statement of faith as saying 'I KNOW for sure there is a God."

Juan Cena

"I don't believe in atheism."
- Capt. Benjamin F. Pierce.

anunnaki

The Church of the Grand Assumptions will often throw out the old line “Can You Prove There Isn’t a God?”

This anti-logic is often thrown out, overlooking the fact that the Burden of Proof lies with the claimant not the doubter/unbeliever.

If “A” claims the Moon is made of green cheese, it is not up to “B” to prove it isn’t

The Church of the Grand Assumptions is assuming “only one Big Bang”

Bible Thumpers:

Of course my first thought is which version of the Bible did they mean?

Was it the current one based on those books approved by the Pagan Emperor Constantine at the First Council of Nicaea, where he picked and chose which books stayed and which ones got tossed?

A few words on The Pagan Constantine
Constantine is perhaps best known for being the first “Christian” Roman emperor; there can be no doubt that his reign was certainly a turning point for the Church. Nonetheless, his actual devotion to the Christian faith is largely disputed since there are more numerous and persuasive evidences which arguably demonstrate that his primary and personal worship was aligned with Roman Paganism, particularly with worship of the sun God, Apollo. It is argued by many scholars that his “conversion” to Christianity was largely a political tactic to ensure his lineal successor to the throne of the Empire.

Or, in the interest of fairness, should one or all of the other versions also be taught?

Were those wishes met, this “Fool’s Folly” would then open the door to all belief systems being worthy of equal time, including but not limited to The Book of Morman, The Torah, The Quran, Witchcraft, Voodoo, Scientology, Buddhism Hinduism, Oh and lets not forget all the ancient multi Gods of Egypt Greece and Rome, -or one of my favorites-

“The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” -see:( http://www.venganza.org/)

The “Flying Spaghetti Monster” was first described in an open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005 that used satire to protest the the Kansas State Board of Education decision to permit teaching intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes.] In that letter, Henderson parodied the concept of intelligent design by professing belief in a supernatural creator that closely resembles spaghetti and meatballs. Henderson further called for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism to be allotted equal time in science classrooms alongside intelligent design and evolution.

I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; one third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.
â€"Bobby Henderson

According to Henderson, since the intelligent design movement uses ambiguous references to a designer, any conceivable entity may fulfill that role, including a Flying Spaghetti Monster. Henderson explained, “I don’t have a problem with religion. What I have a problem with is religion posing as science.

Florida Dispute
In December 2007, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was credited with spearheading successful efforts in Polk County, Florida to dissuade the Polk County School Board from adopting new science standards on evolution. The issue was raised after five of the seven board members declared a personal belief in intelligent design. Opponents describing themselves as Pastafarians sent e-mails to members of the Polk County School Board demanding equal instruction time for the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

In closing, this foolish pursuit were it achieved would result in all hours of the school day being used up devoted to providing equal time to all of these beliefs. There would be so many hours needed that summer vacations might have to be eliminated and no time left for any other school subjects.

But wait -I almost forgot the atheists. They would be entitled to their view;

The Atheists: A Whole Separate Can of Worms

They see the basic flaws of religion beginning with the Assumption that the Universe had a
Beginning.

Many believe there is nothing that supports that assumption and it could
just be a constant series of Big Bangs-Expansions-Contractions-Big
Bangs, resulting in an eternal reshuffling of the atoms through out its
infinite existence. Of course, if that is the case, then there is no
need to invent a “Creator” to try to explain a mythical “Beginning”.

In short,many feel that the Universe never had a “beginning” but [b]“Just
Always Was”.
[/i][/b]

Those Of the opposite viewpoint will argue that “Everything”, must have
a “Beginning”,
but when asked about “God’s Beginning”, they contradict
themselves by saying that “God had no beginning, he just Always Was”.[/i]

Sound familiar?

anunnaki

I KNOW the Tooth Fairy is real though, because as a kid that lost a tooth, I always found coins under my pillow.

anunnaki

Good Video, really enjoyed it . ;)

pyewacket

Art

Ideology is just an excuse to be an asshole.

onan