• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150910 - David Pares - Warp Drive - Live Show Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 10, 2015, 07:37:02 PM

SciFiAuthor

Man, this guy is taking Alcubierre's theoretical application of massive amounts of energy to space time and discombobulating it with applying low-level magnetic field geometries. That's not sound.

He just needs to hook up with Hoagland and use a torsion field.

Weirdoradio

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on September 10, 2015, 10:54:50 PM
I am kind of bored by the background talk. Get to the Warp Drive!

I agree.

The entire first hour I'm all like

albrecht

Quote from: trostol on September 10, 2015, 10:52:34 PM
noice!!!!
The stuff in fraktur is really cool but even if you know German one cannot read. There also is an interesting "situation" with Norwegian and Danish stuff (both stuff written then and then between the Nynorsk and Bokmal) a bizarre situation but interesting linguistic/culturally.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on September 10, 2015, 10:48:34 PM
That's your take.  My take is he's one of the greatest geniuses of our times.

I'll match you anytime, how impractical the Tesla car is. No doubt about it the guy is smart, so was Hitler and Stalin and Marx.
He's selling an unworkable vision to the uninformed eco-utopian dreamers. 

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 10, 2015, 10:59:28 PM
I'll match you anytime, how impractical the Tesla car is. No doubt about it the guy is smart, so was Hitler and Stalin and Marx.
He's selling an unworkable vision to the uninformed eco-utopian dreamers.

You won't match me.  You aren't even smart enough to be my apprentice.  Try again.

Here.  Take a look at what MIT has to say.

50 Smartest Companies 2015

http://www.technologyreview.com/lists/companies/2015/

Who's on top of this list?

Weirdoradio

Quote from: Donald Noory on September 10, 2015, 11:00:02 PM
Bible Spells my ass. What a scam.

That commercial literally touches on every aspect a gullible person may fall for, hook, line and sinker. Aliens, Bible Code, the supernatural, the chance to gain fame and fortune.

At least it's not blessed spring water.

Sean92008

Now the "bible folk" are turning to "spells" to "influence others."

Now that the missing link has been found, I believe that those who desperately cling on to fairy tales will lose the equivalent of a fingernail to their grasp of "the answer."

An hour's gone by and I've really enjoyed this guy recapping his motivations and background.  Now, the meat!

twiki

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on September 10, 2015, 10:54:50 PM
I am kind of bored by the background talk. Get to the Warp Drive!

Surprise surprise. Sandra hates the guest. Let's end the show now.

Quote from: albrecht on September 10, 2015, 10:56:59 PM
I don't think scammer but some of the most influential people at times combine theatrics, real stuff, exploitation, failures, and successes. Arguably, one of the "American" (or "Anglo/Dutch" because it started there) phenomena and dynamics. Cultures like China are catching up, slowly, but quickly to this... just a decade ago they were still very shame-based etc (and still are to an extent) but their gov't is forcing them out of it for new generation so that risk-taking, second-chances, recreating oneself, etc are increasingly more acceptable. With this, of course, comes pure scams, etc but overtime the innovation, usually, wins out....? Though some of these secret treaties etc worry me.

I'll admit I'm not really sold on electric cars as a solution to any environmental problems, but they are effective at exporting pollution from population centers.  The designer home batteries seems like a good idea but so far as I understand, typically the benefit of batteries and solar panels don't really compensate for the energy and damage in mining the required rare earth elements.  I don't see solar as being able to make a major contribution to the energy grid anytime soon, and the best use of solar is probably through thermal solar plants which don't use solar cells.  Nevertheless, if he gets this working all the power to him.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: ASC on September 10, 2015, 11:06:02 PM
hard to stay focused so far

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out just what scientific principles he's trying to anchor to, but he's just picking and choosing bits and pieces and it doesn't make any sense.

starrmtn001

Quote from: ASC on September 10, 2015, 11:06:02 PM
hard to stay focused so far
I thought it was just me.  I just don't have the tech. foundation to enjoy this as much as many of you BellGabbers do.

Sean92008

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 10, 2015, 11:04:45 PM
I'll admit I'm not really sold on electric cars as a solution to any environmental problems, but they are effective at exporting pollution from population centers.  The designer home batteries seems like a good idea but so far as I understand, typically the benefit of batteries and solar panels don't really compensate for the energy and damage in mining the required rare earth elements.  I don't see solar as being able to make a major contribution to the energy grid anytime soon, and the best use of solar is probably through thermal solar plants which don't use solar cells.  Nevertheless, if he gets this working all the power to him.

Amen brother!  The carbon footprint is invisible to the gullible suckers because the pollution generated isn't in their eyesight.  Sad truth, but when one spends $15,000 to save $10,000, that's stupid with a capital "S."  When the tonnage of pollution saved is nefariously low, someone's getting rich.

SciFiAuthor

Did he just try to connect the EM drive research with warp bubbles?

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Sean92008 on September 10, 2015, 11:10:31 PM
Amen brother!  The carbon footprint is invisible to the gullible suckers because the pollution generated isn't in their eyesight.  Sad truth, but when one spends $15,000 to save $10,000, that's stupid with a capital "S."  When the tonnage of pollution saved is nefariously low, someone's getting rich.

The smart people know the truth about that.  Nothing new.  Obviously there is a lot of research and development that needs to be done in the electric field.  You can't just switch over to a new technology and have it working at peak performance in two years.  It doesn't work that way.  You work your way forward.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.