• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150904 - Madman Marcum - Time Travel - Live Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 04, 2015, 10:01:43 PM

Rix Gins

Quote from: username on September 06, 2015, 05:05:55 PM

shhhh.... you're ruining it.
You think so?  I thought I left some openings, especially in regards to the hypnosis.  Think of all the show worthy gems that might result from it. :)

anunnaki

"He actually cut down on that crap after Art mentioned it.  Which I was glad for.  It was getting a tad annoying for me."

OK you got me -I missed that part. Maybe I turned it off after too much of it. When did Art do that ?

Freyja

I think it was a great idea for both Art and Heather to "try to bring back a "blast from the past, so to speak for we, long time listeners, who are more than familiar with Art's great moments and what we deem as "classic" shows.

That said, IMHO this show more than plopped big time for me, a listener who has listened to Art since 1994/95.

I can't listen to a show with new listener ears, however I would suspect, being as objective as I am able, that any new listener would have found this show as Art selling MM, his story, promoting the book he is encouraging him to write etc., with little or no substance from MM other than Art attempting to substantiate the original story and basically almost scripting and putting words in MM's mouth. 

Sorry Art/Heather.....I truly may be in the minority here, however from my perspective listening this afternoon from the TT archives, this was the worst MITD to date for me.

It's one thing to try to bring an old guest or tale back to the air waves, drum up the past excitement and create some new, however in future make sure there is something to bring to the table that both substantiates and perpetuates the original ride leaving listeners wanting for more. 

This program did neither and no matter how hard you tried Art, and IMHO you were in override trying, it fell way more than flat for an old timer as I am listening to you. To me the entire interview sounded phony, agenda driven, pushy,  to make something out of this past guest, when there was nothing to be had. 

Do your due diligence pre show, no matter how many times people are telling you....oh gee, bring back Mad Mad Marcum, Mel Waters or whomever ( and btw I would love to hear an update from Mel if you can find him, if there is anything to tell)....other than that he was found.

If the "old gold" has nothing to tell, can't take "the ride" any further, then please have the good sense to find another great story and ride to take us on.

This one was more than a dud IMHO ...on more than many levels....sorry....

Whatever MM does, I wish him well, however I have absolutely no interest in hearing where he goes, what he does, unless you or he can substantiate some of the very big gaps in his most current update relative to where he has been all this time, what really happened, which really was not much at all it would seem with his reemergence with you on MITD with what was covered. :( 

jimbo50

How high are warehouse ceilings in Missouri?

What kind of engineering is required to suspend 24 10'ft diameter electromagnetic discs 35 ' off the ground?

thanks. :)

chefist

If you go by page count...27 means it was a pretty well received show...sure you can never please 100% of the folks 100% of the time, but it was definitely widely listened to...

anunnaki

Once again Freyja, you nailed it. A whole lot of hype for much ado about nothing of substance.

It seemed like Art was desperate to make this show a killer, when sadly it was "To make a long story short", "Basically", a Dud !

Freyja

Quote from: chefist on September 06, 2015, 06:00:32 PM
If you go by page count...27 means it was a pretty well received show...sure you can never please 100% of the folks 100% of the time, but it was definitely widely listened to...

Well received, not necessarily.....widely listened to ...maybe. More than likely that more people have something to say relative to post count.

I agree that you can't please all of the people all of the time...that's a given.

That was one of my points. It seems that MM was brought back because Art/Heather though that would please" a lot of long time listeners because that seemed to be what they were demanding/asking. However for me, all this show confirmed was the MM was still alive...and in the end, where did anything go beyond that?

Anyway, that's just my take.

IMHO a show like this won't get Art any more listeners to MITD than he has now....in fact for a first time listener, with no prior history, it may totally turn them off.

A guest who is often inarticulate, who can't remember things, who for whatever reason doesn't know what happened to his stuff, who can time travel allegedly however can't find out who owned the warehouse he had all his stuff in, can't explain why his family never looked for him or had any kind of remembrance of him, even if they thought he "vaporized" himself, has no-one who allegedly knew about what he was doing, yet he doesn't know and wasn't able to contact them or anyone?!?! ....c'mon,,,

One of the only things that may make sense is that it's either pure BS or that he was some MKULTRA or other guvment project, who was perhaps "rewired".

That equipment had to be damn expensive. Where did he get it? From donations from his first appearance with Art?!?!...really?...and now it's gone and he seems totally apathetic to both knowing where it went, who owned the warehouse and he didn't think of or bother to try to find out?!?!

Anyway, that's really all I have to say about MM and the show.

IMHO, MM and his "story" is more than a dead horse Art.

Thank you for trying to bring back something from the past for your long time listeners, along with your passion for time travel, however from my perspective it didn't work.

However that said, please broaden your lens.....sadly, the past can rarely be recreated.

You will always have us long timers.

What you need are new topics, new guests, new sagas to bring a new listener base to MITD to hook them like you did us.

We will always be here for you as long as you are willing to be on the air for us/you, however we can't solely carry you for where you want and need to go in today's media landscape.

Best, with love...

littlechris

I heard part of the show the other night. I think I may have misunderstood, but weren't there 25+ people who were witness to Markum disappearing when he jumped through the "portal"? If so, you would think at least a few would have reported it to authorities or the news so that they wouldn't be held responsible for his disappearance. 

-C

Quote from: Rix Gins on September 06, 2015, 03:27:03 PM
The one thing that stuck with me was that Mike stated his travel machine was built some thirty plus feet high.  Now I don't know physics, but wouldn't you think that anything that was transported (without a Star Trek directional transport target mechanism) would do so directly parallel to the point in which it was transported?  Granted, there might be some gravitational pull to etherial transporting "vapors" but otherwise the little critters would not have been found unhurt, and Mike would have sustained a broken hip from falling thirty plus feet down. 
The way I understood it, he was falling into a magnetic field.  I don't think he ever said on what level of the machine the field was on.

wr250

Quote from: HedgehogNorman on September 06, 2015, 07:00:50 PM
The way I understood it, he was falling into a magnetic field.  I don't think he ever said on what level of the machine the field was on.
i thought he said "i turned it up all the way"

littlechris

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 05, 2015, 05:35:52 AM
Basically ... Long story short... Basically... Madman was basically entertaining basically
ROFLMAO!! He must have said "basically" at least 200 times!!

jazmunda

Quote from: HedgehogNorman on September 06, 2015, 07:00:50 PM

I thought he said he used a cherry picker to enter the machine.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Freyja on September 06, 2015, 06:41:41 PM
Who are you calling a BOT?...me?

No worries Freya... Those of us that can think for ourselves, appreciate your well thought out postings.

ItsOver

Quote from: jazmunda on September 06, 2015, 07:11:38 PM
I thought he said he used a cherry picker to enter the machine.
Yes, that's what he said.  I'm thinking it's more likely he stepped out of a Greyhound in Cincinnati and hitched a ride to Fairfield. ;)

jazmunda

Quote from: twiki on September 06, 2015, 06:39:00 PM
The BOTS are working overtime post show.

I'm not sure it's fair to tar dissenting opinions with the DaveBot brush. Not every show is going to be everyone's cup of tea.

ItsOver

Quote from: jazmunda on September 06, 2015, 07:49:36 PM
I'm not sure it's fair to tar dissenting opinions with the DaveBot brush. Not every show is going to be everyone's cup of tea.
I agree.  Freyja makes a lot of good points. 

wr250

is it possible that he actually built this thing, jumped through and was brain damaged to the point  where he cant remember things properly, and effected his speech patterns?

as far as the 2 years missing, ive seen drunks do that and then sober up, remembering nothing of those years.

Quote from: anunnaki on September 06, 2015, 05:20:59 PM
"He actually cut down on that crap after Art mentioned it.  Which I was glad for.  It was getting a tad annoying for me."

OK you got me -I missed that part. Maybe I turned it off after too much of it. When did Art do that ?

He just said, "Most of your long stories are made short" or something like that, and told him that they had plenty of time for long stories. He didn't say anything about the basicallys.

And of course it doesn't discredit him; it just made it kind of an arduous listening experience.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: wr250 on September 06, 2015, 07:58:50 PM
is it possible that he actually built this thing, jumped through and was brain damaged to the point  where he cant remember things properly, and effected his speech patterns?

I could just say No, but I hope Art and/or Heather or someone finds him a ghost writer and he hits the jack pot with a best seller book.
Now that would be a grander accomplishment, than his half baked imaginary scheme, to cobble together a time machine out of junk and crap science and then use it to get winning lottery numbers.

Quote from: wr250 on September 06, 2015, 07:58:50 PM

as far as the 2 years missing, ive seen drunks do that and then sober up, remembering nothing of those years.

Yep... If I was a betting man ... I'd put my money on, the only time traveling Madmad did for the missing two years, was the time he traveled to the liquor store.

onan

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 06, 2015, 09:41:45 PM
I could just say No, but I hope Art and/or Heather or someone finds him a ghost writer and he hits the jack pot with a best seller book.
Now that would be a grander accomplishment, than his half baked imaginary scheme, to cobble together a time machine out of junk and crap science and then use it to get winning lottery numbers.

Yep... If I was a betting man ... I'd put my money on, the only time traveling Madmad did for the missing two years, was the time he traveled to the liquor store.

There are many other scenarios that fit as well as drinking.

Are we now doing character assassinations due to personal stories that leave room for doubt? If so, almost every guest is just as big a target.

jazmunda

Quote from: onan on September 06, 2015, 10:18:17 PM

Are we now doing character assassinations due to personal stories that leave room for doubt? If so, almost every guest is just as big a target.

Not to mention some posters myself included. :P

Quote from: The Coincidence Kid on September 06, 2015, 09:24:11 PM
He just said, "Most of your long stories are made short" or something like that, and told him that they had plenty of time for long stories. He didn't say anything about the basicallys.

And of course it doesn't discredit him; it just made it kind of an arduous listening experience.
I wasn't saying anything about it discrediting him.  And yeah, I should have made more clear I was referring to just the "to make a long story short", not the basicallys.

Gassy Man

I'm going to take a different tack.  I didn't listen to the whole show. What I did hear, though, was classic Art.

Art has this well-honed ability to ask precisely the right questions, where the indirect meaning of the questions essentially calls out the guest for outrageous claims without actually backing him or her into a corner.  And Art was in great form that night.  He pressed MM for details -- exactly the sort needed to corroborate the story -- while also allowing for the possibility, if improbability, that the stories had any truth.

I pointed this out to my girlfriend, after weeks of playing up Art, and she listened for the first time.  She rolled her eyes at the subject, but she agreed about Art's prowess, especially when I switched over to the other show to demonstrate just how incompetent by comparison the other guy is. 

We went to bed, so I didn't hear the rest of the interview.  Unfortunately, that happened when a caller asked a great question about how MM found himself in precisely the same spot two years later just as they were going to break.  I will say that MM seemed tedious and unconvincing even in the relatively small portion of the interview I did hear.  (The girlfriend said he just sounded like "some hillbilly.")  But I thought Art handled him great.  So far, most of the of the MITD shows have been great.  There were one or two I gave up on because of the guest, and not Art.  But Art has been great -- better than on satellite.

I do wish Art would have more scientists and scholars on.  To me, he operates best with that crowd.  He obviously does his homework and engages in conversation, and it's always more interesting to me to hear from paranormal investigators or medical researchers than the amateurs or New Age-y types.  I think Michio Kaku is played out -- I can only listen to him repeat the same four or five things so many times -- but Art works well with high intellects.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: onan on September 06, 2015, 10:18:17 PM

My goodness are you trolling me?.. Shocking... The biggest troll on Bellgab (Onan) is trolling little ol me.

Ok my bad, I shouldn't of made the drunk joke, based on Madman's speech pattern, I'd bet he preferred Ludes.

SciFiAuthor

Jeez guys, it's just entertainment. A narrative told that might be real, but probably isn't, but it's still fun to listen to it unfold. It was a great show for that and for the nostalgia of Madman coming back. I had a great time. But in the end, it's just 3 hours on the radio. No need to agonize about what grade of real it was. It was just great fun listening to it. Just like the 90's.

If it bored you, well, I highly recommend the Hoagland archive or Dark City. If they bore you, then you need NPR.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: jazmunda on September 06, 2015, 10:34:26 PM
Not to mention some posters myself included. :P

Jaz, thicken your skin boy. You take offense when none is intended.