• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150730 - John Dvorak - Life Beyond Earth - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, July 30, 2015, 09:57:29 PM

starrmtn001

Quote from: coaster on July 31, 2015, 03:54:58 PM
I had a lot of footage on my computer, but the hard drive fried back on the fourth of july. Lost everything. Now I am stuck on this damn tablet.
Oh man, that just totally SUCKS!  I am so sorry.  It seems to me I remember hearing about a company that can retrieve data, even from a severely damaged hard drive but I don't remember the name, just that the service is expensive.

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: Scorch on July 31, 2015, 01:42:53 AM
I'm ready to die now.  I've been a caller on MITD!

I was the 2nd to last caller tonight.

I'm Dustin,  I asked about what is the boundary to the edge of the universe and what lies beyond it.

I've always wanted to know that and only Art Bell and his guest could answer it.

Thank you Art & Dr. Dvorak.

And you got a great answer, with Art worrying over the answer like the proverbial with a bone.
I just finished listening recorded on Tune-In and add my froggy voice to the chorus of approval. Top drawer stuff.

Alongside 'real' science like this, I would love to have a regular contribution from a 'real' archaeologist. So much exciting stuff is being discovered all the time by these unheralded folk who get so easily derided on The Other Show.

coaster

Quote from: starrmtn001 on July 31, 2015, 04:06:22 PM
Oh man, that just totally SUCKS!  I am so sorry.  It seems to me I remember hearing about a company that can retrieve data, even from a severely damaged hard drive but I don't remember the name, just that the service is expensive.
Something metal fried on the back of the drive. The fan in the pc went ou and the harddrive overheated i think. Not exactly sure. I just remember a puff of smoke and the harddrive being melted. Lost thousands of dollars worth of software too. Birthday is coming up on the fourth so I might splurge and by a new pc.

chinaclipper

Quote from: coaster on July 31, 2015, 05:07:20 PM
Southeast nebraska.

wow! you're smack in the middle.  No wonder you chase.  Any close calls on your home?  I guess when people hear of tornado...or earthquake... disasters, they immediately think, "why would anyone live there?"

coaster

Quote from: chinaclipper on July 31, 2015, 05:17:33 PM
wow! you're smack in the middle.  No wonder you chase.  Any close calls on your home?  I guess when people hear of tornado...or earthquake... disasters, they immediately think, "why would anyone live there?"
Lost three trees one night that nearly caved in my roof. I was in Hallam, Nebraska to witness the 2.5 mile wide f4 that destroyed the town. Seen a lot of damage but have been lucky so far.

chinaclipper

Quote from: coaster on July 31, 2015, 05:28:35 PM
Lost three trees one night that nearly caved in my roof. I was in Hallam, Nebraska to witness the 2.5 mile wide f4 that destroyed the town. Seen a lot of damage but have been lucky so far.

incredible...and why DO you live there??!  altho I am a bit south of you, and my answer would be "because it is home."

coaster

Quote from: chinaclipper on July 31, 2015, 05:33:16 PM
incredible...and why DO you live there??!  altho I am a bit south of you, and my answer would be "because it is home."
I love storms. I love the feeling of electricity in the air. I love the science behind storms. Nothing more exciting. I also like being so close to the countryside. I hate loud noisy places. I find big cities horribly ugly. Traffic, people, noise. I'd take a field and a dirt road over that anyday. Also, its home.

ItsOver

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 31, 2015, 01:01:41 AM
Apparently the frog fornication extends into the house. He did say that there's usually a few inside.
Ha! A froggie love fest!  It just added to the classic, memorable aspect of last night's MiDT.  Can you imagine how Dave would have handled the frog background music?

"Hey, no fuss'n, fight'n, or lov'n allowed, Dr. Dvorak!  Ma Noorie is uh listen'n!  Your gonna have to quiet'em down or I'll have tuh mysteriously lose your connection.  Tommy, get Lionel on uh backup, stat!"

Art, make sure the frogs are part of the package when you book Dr. D' again.  :D

GravitySucks

Quote from: coaster on July 31, 2015, 05:10:13 PM
Something metal fried on the back of the drive. The fan in the pc went ou and the harddrive overheated i think. Not exactly sure. I just remember a puff of smoke and the harddrive being melted. Lost thousands of dollars worth of software too. Birthday is coming up on the fourth so I might splurge and by a new pc.
Blessed be the pessimists for they hath made back ups.  Book of Hesitations.

michio

I can imagine what that moment felt like. Ouch.

What's the current status of the smoked HDD?

starrmtn001

http://lifehacker.com/5951822/how-can-i-recover-data-from-a-dead-or-erased-hard-drive
Step Three: Get Out the Big Guns (and Your Wallet)

How Can I Recover Data from a Dead or Erased Hard Drive?

Okay, so the drive is physically damaged, has been wiped and overwritten, or nothing else you try works and you really, really need the data off of it. You're even willing to pay a lotfor it. We're not going to ask why, but at this point it's time to call in the professionals. Photo by Glenn Fleishman.

Pick up the phone and call the folks at DriveSavers and OnTrack to see what they can do for you. I've had good experiences with OnTrack. DriveSavers is well known and loved, both because they came to the rescue with free drive recovery services after September 11, 2001 and more recently helping Wired's Mat Honan recover from his epic hacking. Both companies do a superb job at pulling data even off of drives that have been formatted, overwritten, or even severely physically damaged. Keep in mind though that these services generally run in the thousand dollar range, according to DriveSavers (thanks for reaching out!) and higher.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: ItsOver on July 31, 2015, 05:56:48 PM
Ha! A froggie love fest!  It just added to the classic, memorable aspect of last night's MiDT.  Can you imagine how Dave would have handled the frog background music?

"Hey, no fuss'n, fight'n, or lov'n allowed, Dr. Dvorak!  Ma Noorie is uh listen'n!  Your gonna have to quiet'em down or I'll have tuh mysteriously lose your connection.  Tommy, get Lionel on uh backup, stat!"

Art, make sure the frogs are part of the package when you book Dr. D' again.  :D

It would have degraded into an interview of the frogs and eventually Dave would sing a little Sinatra number with them. The scientist would have been inconsequential.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 31, 2015, 09:59:25 PM
It would have degraded into an interview of the frogs and eventually Dave would sing a little Sinatra number with them. The scientist would have been inconsequential.

I really liked being able to hear the frogs for some reason haha

ItsOver

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 31, 2015, 09:59:25 PM
"Scientist?  What scientist?  I don't hear no scientist.  Tommy, what exactly is a scientist?"

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 31, 2015, 09:59:58 PM

I didn't mind them either. I thought they added charm. What would have been funny is if Dvorak would have said "what frogs?" and played like they weren't there.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: ItsOver on July 31, 2015, 10:04:29 PM
"Scientist?  What scientist?  I don't hear no scientist.  Tommy, what exactly is a scientist?"

Now that this has been said, we'll probably hear frog sound effects on C2C. "Art's got frogs? Tommy, go catch one and mic it!"

zeebo

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 31, 2015, 09:59:58 PM

Not just frogs ... bird frogs

Squirrel

Quote from: GeoNemesis on July 30, 2015, 10:05:15 PM
Is this the keyboard guy?

Lol that's what I thought or actually I thought it was John C. Dvorak who does a the No Agenda Show with the "Podfather" of podcasting Adam Curry and they talk about deconstructing mainstream media, memes, conspiracies, tech, politics, watch C-SPAN so you don't have to and they say whatever they want as there is no advertising.
Squirrel!