• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Juan

After reviewing the huge number of programs installed on my computer and realizing finding the original installation media then updating after installation on a new drive would take months, I carefully ignored MV's advice and installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 on my current drive.  After installing the computer was slow. I ran Glary Utilities which found and fixed more than 2100 registry errors.  After that, the computer is quite peppy.  Everything seems to work, even my favorite audio editing program Cool Edit Pro which I first ran on Win98SE.

Lilith

Quote from: Juan on June 09, 2016, 06:52:06 AM
After reviewing the huge number of programs installed on my computer and realizing finding the original installation media then updating after installation on a new drive would take months, I carefully ignored MV's advice and installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 on my current drive.  After installing the computer was slow. I ran Glary Utilities which found and fixed more than 2100 registry errors.  After that, the computer is quite peppy.  Everything seems to work, even my favorite audio editing program Cool Edit Pro which I first ran on Win98SE.

Happy you found a way to enjoy Windows10!  I had an HP laptop, which had a page where you could download the HP apps and drivers to a USB.  The same was true of my two Fantastic Acer computers, so It all only took less than half an hour.  I'm sure there are manufacturers that don't have such a service, so its good to know about the Tool you found.  Hope you continue to enjoy Windows10 more and more!  ;D

analog kid

Everything seems to work, even my favorite audio editing program Cool Edit Pro which I first ran on Win98SE.

Must be an old version, considering it was bought by Adobe in 2003 and they changed the name to Adobe Audition :D

Juan

Yep - Cool Edit Pro.  It was bought by Adobe in 2003 and stripped of many useful functions. It now barely resembles the old program, which remains far superior.

Brig, I'm not talking about manufacturers updates - I'm talking about software such as Adobe Master Suite - which cost thousands of dollars and is no longer supported by Adobe, Sonar and its synthesizers and plugins - which are supported but would take days to download and install, Native Instruments Komplete - again supported but it would take days to reinstall, download, and set up again.

Anyway, installing over Win7 worked for me.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on May 29, 2016, 08:20:36 PM
You could use a controller card but wouldn't get sata3 speeds on a dino board.

i have a dinosaur dell (it's about 8 years old), and when i installed a sataIII controller card, i got read speeds of over 500Mbps and write speeds of over 300Mbps with a samsung solid state drive.  it depends on the specific board, i'm sure, but this is at least one example.  bottom line:  a sataIII card definitely won't hurt, regardless of the specific outcome.

Lilith

Quote from: Juan on June 09, 2016, 09:42:22 AM
Yep - Cool Edit Pro.  It was bought by Adobe in 2003 and stripped of many useful functions. It now barely resembles the old program, which remains far superior.

Brig, I'm not talking about manufacturers updates - I'm talking about software such as Adobe Master Suite - which cost thousands of dollars and is no longer supported by Adobe, Sonar and its synthesizers and plugins - which are supported but would take days to download and install, Native Instruments Komplete - again supported but it would take days to reinstall, download, and set up again.

I'm just happy you're having a good experience with W10 so far.  Made my day!  ;D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on May 30, 2016, 07:22:44 AM
Sunday night I fell asleep with the laptop on. Prior to that, I'd X'd out all the annoying Windows 10 popups. So, imagine  my surprise on Monday morning when I woke to find my laptop was busily installing Win 10 which I never agreed to. Fortunately, it hit a snag and aborted and I went online and learned how to disable the pop ups in the task bar and control manager.

This is what pisses me off the most about Microsoft. Maybe I would have upgraded to 10 after research, but I looked specifically for a laptop without 8 installed and this is what I got and wanted. It's borderline unethical to install something by default because a pop up was ignored. If not illegal, it's a shitty thing to do, overriding the customary permission to go into someone's private computer and make changes that were not agreed to. I was all ready to file a complaint with the FTC, fat lot of good that would do, but I couldn't despise Microsoft more than I do now. I was pissed when Apple installed a U2 playlist I didn't want on my phone, th is is worse. At least Apple responded to public pressure, Microsoft has done nothing to either acknowledge this invasion of privacy or rectify it. I won't be buying another Microsoft product again. It's worth saving quarter by quarter for something else.

MS really handled this poorly.  i say file the complaint.

MV/Liberace!

...I carefully ignored MV's advice...

as a married man, i've become accustomed to that.

Quote from: MV on June 09, 2016, 10:55:03 AM
MS really handled this poorly.  i say file the complaint.

I ended up doing it. I was pissed. The sad thing is, it could have been a version I liked, but forcing it on my laptop is total crap.

cweb

Quote from: Juan on June 09, 2016, 09:42:22 AM

I miss my old pirated copy of CEP. Adobe really screwed that thing up, but I will say that Audition CC is several steps back in the right direction. Of course, I'm just using vanilla Audition- no fancy plugins or whatnot.

VtaGeezer

Win10 sucks. I don't want my computer to pretend its a 17" cell phone.  Why should I "subscribe" to Office when I have the programs on preWin10 compatible disks?  What about all the other perfectly good productivity applications that I paid a ton of $ for that MS renders useless with Win10.  How the f*** does a company not fix an OS that loses touchpad/mouse settings everytime it's turned off.

Like UC described above, I caught MS trying to sneak Win10 onto my wife's laptop last week with a gall and arrogance unmatched in the history of corporate pushiness.  We have to take their word for it they're not reading and collating our financial files.  Our descendents will curse us for allowing the software companies rewrite 200 years of copyright law and the Constitution without a peep.

Last week I picked up one of the last Win7 laptops Fry's had; a refurbed Lenovo made in 2013. $350. Built like a tank too. I have a few grand worth of perfectly good software on disks like AutoCAD and Office that I can continue to use, though I suppose now I'll be sharing my Hard drive with Beijing.  That's OK; I trust them more than MS.

ItsOver

Quote from: VtaGeezer on June 11, 2016, 11:44:33 AM
Win10 sucks. I don't want my computer to pretend its a 17" cell phone.  Why should I "subscribe" to Office when I have the programs on preWin10 compatible disks?  What about all the other perfectly good productivity applications that I paid a ton of $ for that MS renders useless with Win10.  How the f*** does a company not fix an OS that loses touchpad/mouse settings everytime it's turned off.

Like UC described above, I caught MS trying to sneak Win10 onto my wife's laptop last week with a gall and arrogance unmatched in the history of corporate pushiness.  We have to take their word for it they're not reading and collating our financial files.  Our descendents will curse us for allowing the software companies rewrite 200 years of copyright law and the Constitution without a peep.

Last week I picked up one of the last Win7 laptops Fry's had; a refurbed Lenovo made in 2013. $350. Built like a tank too. I have a few grand worth of perfectly good software on disks like AutoCAD and Office that I can continue to use, though I suppose now I'll be sharing my Hard drive with Beijing.  That's OK; I trust them more than MS.
I picked-up a refurb Acer on-line for peanuts last year to get Win7.  It's been working great and no way in Hell am I leaving Win7.  The MS bastards should be drug to the gallows and hung, after torturing them on the rack while being forced to listen to Rosanne Barr sing for twenty four hours straight.

I got an Acer too, about a year and a half ago or so. It was the only one available with Win 7. Imagine  my surprise when not only did I have to dodge Win 8, but Win 10 as well. I don't think my complaint to the FTC will amount to a hill of beans,  but it felt good filing it. I don't  have money or recourse to legal counsel, but I'd love to see MS get hit with a class action suit just for the annoyance factor.

Quote from: ItsOver on June 11, 2016, 12:04:20 PM
  The MS bastards should be drug to the gallows and hung, after torturing them on the rack while being forced to listen to Rosanne Barr sing for twenty four hours straight.

Sounds about right, and on endless loop too.

Dyna-X

Quote from: VtaGeezer on June 11, 2016, 11:44:33 AM

You identified the key issue. MS wanted convergence in a one size fits all operating system. They did not care about the concept of continuity of serious computer users who run AutoCAD, desktop publishing, or business specific software. The attitude can be seen in what they did with skype, adding clutter like "bots"and expanded emoji libraries to a serious piece of communications software, while letting performance and reliability issues go to hell.

zeebo

Quote from: Dyna-X on June 22, 2016, 09:55:31 AM
...The attitude can be seen in what they did with skype, adding clutter like "bots"and expanded emoji libraries to a serious piece of communications software, while letting performance and reliability issues go to hell.

Ok so I can't connect but I do have some sweet emoji's to express my disappointment!

cweb

Just upgraded to Win10 today. I waited this long due to pure laziness. Gotta say- it was a pretty damn quick process. The clean install itself took about 20 minutes, not counting the driver and software installs I did afterwards.

It was a bit sleazy of Microsoft to offer "express settings" with all of their tracker stuff at setup, but it wasn't that hard to click the custom settings to turn all of that off. I don't think all of that was malicious, but I'm paranoid.

Versus Win8.1, this baby still boots in about 4 seconds and runs like a top. I actually like the UI tweaks. It's still close enough to Win7 (or dare I say XP) that I don't feel lost right away.

My other concern was transferring my Adobe CC and Office installs. CC was just a matter of deactivating it on the Win8.1 image and "signing back in" once I ran the setup file on Win10. Pretty damn easy. Office was similar. There was a hiccup when I tried to activate it, but restarting the suite and trying my Microsoft account again did the trick. Not bad.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: cweb on July 22, 2016, 06:34:38 PM
Just upgraded to Win10 today. I waited this long due to pure laziness. Gotta say- it was a pretty damn quick process. The clean install itself took about 20 minutes, not counting the driver and software installs I did afterwards.

It was a bit sleazy of Microsoft to offer "express settings" with all of their tracker stuff at setup, but it wasn't that hard to click the custom settings to turn all of that off. I don't think all of that was malicious, but I'm paranoid.

Versus Win8.1, this baby still boots in about 4 seconds and runs like a top. I actually like the UI tweaks. It's still close enough to Win7 (or dare I say XP) that I don't feel lost right away.

My other concern was transferring my Adobe CC and Office installs. CC was just a matter of deactivating it on the Win8.1 image and "signing back in" once I ran the setup file on Win10. Pretty damn easy. Office was similar. There was a hiccup when I tried to activate it, but restarting the suite and trying my Microsoft account again did the trick. Not bad.

MV/Liberace!

does anyone else find "sleep mode" in windows 10 to be touch and go?  i find when i allow a machine to sleep over any sustained period of time, it's 50/50 as to whether the machine will wake when i hit the space bar or click the mouse.  if i do end up having to hit the physical power button, the machine boots from the beginning.  i've experienced this on more than one machine and while using both UEFI and BIOS.

Juan

On my desktop, I can hit enter and a couple of minutes later it wakes up.  On my laptop, I have to hit the power button.  I suspect it's in bios, but I'm too lazy to look.

Lilith

Quote from: cweb on July 22, 2016, 06:34:38 PM

Praise MV!

Lilith

Quote from: mv on July 22, 2016, 06:59:33 PM
does anyone else find "sleep mode" in windows 10 to be touch and go?  i find when i allow a machine to sleep over any sustained period of time, it's 50/50 as to whether the machine will wake when i hit the space bar or click the mouse.  if i do end up having to hit the physical power button, the machine boots from the beginning.  i've experienced this on more than one machine and while using both UEFI and BIOS.

I've never felt comfortable using "sleep".  I have my screensaver set to "blank" after one hour.  Shake the mouse, and my lights are back on in a split second every time.  Dunno if that would make you happy or not, but that is my personal solution, should you wish to try it.

Another thing I hear is that the fast startup interferes with things.  If you haven't,  go to system "power options" then choose "change what the power buttons do" click the blue "Change settings that are currently unavailable" (It's a blue link near the top) then unclick the "turn on fast startup" box, and see if that fixes the problem.  If not, you can always turn it back on. Also, you will find the power buttons, and sleep button settings in this window.

I_Speculate

I would not feel comfortable using windows 10.

But i'm 'paranoid' like that.

Now my winblows 8.1 professional ed. system has started displaying a new pop up complete with countdown timer from day to hour down to the minute.

I only have 8 days or so left to upgrade for free.

Don't worry folks if you have upgraded you still have 30/1 days to revert back to /semi/freedom.

I personally like to use the Kali OS for work related procedures.. but that is not for everyone or normal day-to-day use.

Element 115

Same here, I've definitely experienced the same issue. With SSDs, I rarely use sleep anymore.

cweb

The only times I'll use sleep:
- if I have something I can't "save" that I need to pick back up
- if the computer I'm using takes more than 30 seconds to boot to the Desktop

Nowadays, I rarely encounter either one of those scenarios.

When I first got my Surface Pro 4, I tried using sleep and experienced the same thing you just described. After about 5 times, I decided that it wasn't worth saving the extra 10 seconds if the damn thing wasn't going to work most of the time.

AZZERAE

Sleep mode no longer works for me since I updated to 10.  External hard drive also powers off and on constantly. I've tried everything to solve these issues and nothings worked as yet.

cweb

Quote from: Azzerae on July 24, 2016, 03:49:19 PM
Sleep mode no longer works for me since I updated to 10.  External hard drive also powers off and on constantly. I've tried everything to solve these issues and nothings worked as yet.
Have you checked to see if there's a "hard drive goes to sleep after..." power setting in control panel? There was in 7, but I'm not near my Win10 machine right now...

Also, have you checked the system logs to see if maybe there's something funky with the drive? Would anything show like that on SMART tools?

So the free upgrade ends in two days, and I am pleased to see that the most invasive personal-information-farming software ever invented has fallen far short of its goals.

MS hoped to have 1 billion sheep signed on to their spyware by 2018.  Good luck with that.  Presently, it's installed on 350 million devices over the past year, and that's while they've been trying to force it onto users for free.  Now they think they're going to charge $100-150 for it and capture devices at the same rate.  Good luck with that Microsoft.

It would not surprise me in the slightest to see MS force Win10 upgrades onto Win7 and Win8 devices without the user's consent, probably through yet another upgrade script secreted in an upgrade.  This is about the only sleazy move these cocksuckers haven't tried yet.

AZZERAE

Quote from: cweb on July 25, 2016, 12:20:05 PM
Have you checked to see if there's a "hard drive goes to sleep after..." power setting in control panel? There was in 7, but I'm not near my Win10 machine right now...

Also, have you checked the system logs to see if maybe there's something funky with the drive? Would anything show like that on SMART tools?

:( I've tried that, but thank you for the suggestion :)

My external is gonna bust pretty soon.

mikuthing01

I like windows 7 so im sticking with it. The next time i build a comp I'm going to use Linux im just so used to Windows i don't want to change.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 27, 2016, 03:08:35 PM
So the free upgrade ends in two days, and I am pleased to see that the most invasive personal-information-farming software ever invented has fallen far short of its goals.

MS hoped to have 1 billion sheep signed on to their spyware by 2018.  Good luck with that.  Presently, it's installed on 350 million devices over the past year, and that's while they've been trying to force it onto users for free.  Now they think they're going to charge $100-150 for it and capture devices at the same rate.  Good luck with that Microsoft.

It would not surprise me in the slightest to see MS force Win10 upgrades onto Win7 and Win8 devices without the user's consent, probably through yet another upgrade script secreted in an upgrade.  This is about the only sleazy move these cocksuckers haven't tried yet.

Quote from: mv on May 10, 2016, 02:13:01 PM

all of that can be disabled upon installation.  what's left that i'm unaware of?

beyond all of that, your ISP knows 10000% more about your activities than microsoft could ever dream of knowing.

fud.