• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Lilith

Quote from: Noorynoid on May 09, 2016, 10:09:43 PM
I was blind, i could not see. Praise MV, praise MV.

By Jove, I think he's got it!

Quote from: MV on May 09, 2016, 10:22:32 AM
easily disabled upon installation.

There are some things you can disable, and some that you can't.   At all.  There are plenty enough sites hyperventilating about this issue, those are alarmist and to be avoided, but there are others that rationally discuss the matter.  I don't think it's a controversial matter; it seems a settle point in technical circles that Win10 collects information about you and beams it back to MS.  The controversy is whether a user should care or not. 

I'll throw in an empirically-based argument here which is that if MS is so deceptive as to smuggle a Win10 update nag prompt into a "security" update and conceal that fact, why do you think they would be so progressive about a user's personal interests? 

Quote from: MV on May 09, 2016, 10:22:32 AMthat hasn't been my experience at all.

I don't know what to say about that.  I have used Win10 and I have as much trouble finding anything as I did with Win8, plus cute little features like mobile mode which did not exist previously and which can disable your desktop mode without any apparent explanation.  Did you mean Win8 by any chance?  I'm really puzzled by this comment.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Hog on May 09, 2016, 10:07:36 PM
Thanks MV, it works great.  It doesnt feel like I'm pissing razor blades anymore.

peace
Hog

What works great?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 10, 2016, 01:32:41 AM
There are some things you can disable, and some that you can't.   At all.
really?

all of that can be disabled upon installation.  what's left that i'm unaware of?

I'll throw in an empirically-based argument here which is that if MS is so deceptive as to smuggle a Win10 update nag prompt into a "security" update and conceal that fact, why do you think they would be so progressive about a user's personal interests?
i'll concede that they should have afforded the user more transparency, simplicity, and direct control over the win10 upgrade process, but i think it's a logical fallacy to suggest that this implies malice from MS in all other regards where win10 is concerned.
I don't know what to say about that.  I have used Win10 and I have as much trouble finding anything as I did with Win8, plus cute little features like mobile mode which did not exist previously and which can disable your desktop mode without any apparent explanation.  Did you mean Win8 by any chance?  I'm really puzzled by this comment.
what's to be puzzled by?  i'm simply saying i don't have trouble finding anything in win10.  i can only speak to my own experiences.  and regarding tablet mode: i have hundreds of customers, and i've only encountered one person, one, who accidentally placed his laptop into tablet mode.  easily fixed with the flip of a switch.  that is literally the only instance where i've seen that happen to someone.

Hog

Quote from: MV on May 10, 2016, 03:28:02 AM
What works great?
Mr, Short term memory, it's Mr Short term memory.(sung like a jingle)
The files from ufoship that disabled the Win10 messages.

peace
Hog

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Hog on May 10, 2016, 08:19:04 PM
Mr, Short term memory, it's Mr Short term memory.(sung like a jingle)
The files from ufoship that disabled the Win10 messages.

peace
Hog

Haha, oh OK. Don't use LSD, kids.

Robert

Quote from: MV on May 10, 2016, 02:15:04 PMhttp://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-block-windows-10-upgrades-on-your-business-network-and-at-home-too/
I'd already gathered from the description upthread that that'll solve the specific problem of nagging about the upgrade (which isn't visibly occurring since I reverted), thanks, but do you think it'll also prevent this hang?  I'm not used to altering the registry, so I'll have to work up the nerve to try it, once I finish certain other work that I can do in safe mode.

Robert

Quote from: Robert on May 11, 2016, 09:33:20 PMI'd already gathered from the description upthread that that'll solve the specific problem of nagging about the upgrade (which isn't visibly occurring since I reverted), thanks, but do you think it'll also prevent this hang?  I'm not used to altering the registry, so I'll have to work up the nerve to try it, once I finish certain other work that I can do in safe mode.
Didn't stop the hang.

Robert

Quote from: MV on May 13, 2016, 02:17:25 AMHang?
Shortly after a standard boot, Windows 8.1 hangs with Task Mgr. reporting 100% disc traffic (R/W) occupying it but not attributing it to a program.  However, it does report GWX-associated executables as loaded, so even though there's no pop-up (or maybe because there's no pop-up), I think the hang has something to do with trying to get Win 10.  I'm trying to delete or neutralize all files in directory SXS with names GWX*.exe, but even though it tells me I've successfully xferred "ownership" of the files to myself (or an admin or users generally -- I've tried all), and reports that I have the required permission, when I try to alter the file name, it says I need someone else's permission to alter them -- at least when I do a safe or diagnostic boot to get to the process to do this.

It's a close race even to do a reboot into safe mode before the hang takes hold.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Robert on May 13, 2016, 03:01:02 PM
Shortly after a standard boot, Windows 8.1 hangs with Task Mgr. reporting 100% disc traffic (R/W) occupying it but not attributing it to a program.  However, it does report GWX-associated executables as loaded, so even though there's no pop-up (or maybe because there's no pop-up), I think the hang has something to do with trying to get Win 10.  I'm trying to delete or neutralize all files in directory SXS with names GWX*.exe, but even though it tells me I've successfully xferred "ownership" of the files to myself (or an admin or users generally -- I've tried all), and reports that I have the required permission, when I try to alter the file name, it says I need someone else's permission to alter them -- at least when I do a safe or diagnostic boot to get to the process to do this.

It's a close race even to do a reboot into safe mode before the hang takes hold.

you did say you tried upgrading to win10 and then downgraded back to 8.1, right?  at least, i think i recall you saying that.  if i were you, i'd save my data, wipe the drive, then clean install win10.  never upgrade.  always do a clean install if you're interested in moving to the latest version of windows.

but, before you do, test your drive using something like HDDregenerator.  if any unreadable data is detected, you need to toss the drive.  replace it with an SSD.  you can get a 120GB sandisk at best buy for around $42.  it'll breathe a lot of new life into a junker of a machine.

Robert

Quote from: MV on May 13, 2016, 03:47:08 PMyou did say you tried upgrading to win10 and then downgraded back to 8.1, right?  at least, i think i recall you saying that.
Yes.
Quoteif i were you, i'd save my data, wipe the drive, then clean install win10.  never upgrade.  always do a clean install if you're interested in moving to the latest version of windows.
I might just reinstall Win 8.1.
Quotebut, before you do, test your drive using something like HDDregenerator.  if any unreadable data is detected, you need to toss the drive.
A recent chkdsk reported 100% good.  I imagine the test you're referring to is more thorough.
Quotereplace it with an SSD.  you can get a 120GB sandisk at best buy for around $42.  it'll breathe a lot of new life into a junker of a machine.
I've used a removable flash device (not Sandisk, though -- can't stand their U3 nuisance) as a boot medium (for Linux), found it considerably slower than mechanical disk.  Are these you're referring to much faster?  Does the interface make the difference?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Robert on May 13, 2016, 06:40:31 PM
Are these you're referring to much faster?  Does the interface make the difference?

SSDs are remarkably faster.  they use the same SATA interface that a spinning platter hard drive uses.

norland2424

Quote from: MV on May 13, 2016, 07:13:18 PM
SSDs are remarkably faster.  they use the same SATA interface that a spinning platter hard drive uses.

People just need to make sure to never defrag a sdd .

cweb

Quote from: norland2424 on May 13, 2016, 07:16:49 PM
People just need to make sure to never defrag a sdd .
Yep.

This is what happens if you repeatedly defrag an SSD.

Not even once.

Prices are down to $30 now as well. No reason not to have one.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 13, 2016, 08:57:41 PM

agreed.

zeebo

Is it true though that they're harder to erase?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: zeebo on May 13, 2016, 09:24:31 PM
Is it true though that they're harder to erase?

by erase, do you mean destroy?  because i'd think a microwave would do in an SSD in a matter of about 3-5 seconds.

zeebo

Quote from: MV on May 14, 2016, 01:55:53 AM
by erase, do you mean destroy?  because i'd think a microwave would do in an SSD in a matter of about 3-5 seconds.

hehe no i read somewhere that you can't do a true wipe disk.  I don't want my secret nacho recipes getting out.

Element 115

Yes they are, I have two Samsung 850 Pro SSDs and a WD internal platter for storage, and WD external. Make sure you change your BIOS config to ACHI in the SATA section for even faster performance.

I've not been overly impressed with Samsung Magician SSD software. Most everything can be configured in Windows except the Rapid Mode in Magician.

Element 115

Quote from: MV on May 13, 2016, 03:47:08 PM
you did say you tried upgrading to win10 and then downgraded back to 8.1, right?  at least, i think i recall you saying that.  if i were you, i'd save my data, wipe the drive, then clean install win10.  never upgrade.  always do a clean install if you're interested in moving to the latest version of windows.

but, before you do, test your drive using something like HDDregenerator.  if any unreadable data is detected, you need to toss the drive.  replace it with an SSD.  you can get a 120GB sandisk at best buy for around $42.  it'll breathe a lot of new life into a junker of a machine.

Amen, never upgrade. Always wipe and do a clean install.

Yes it will be faster with an SSD but also bear in mind if the machine is too old, it won't reach the speed potential of a SATA3 port on new mobos.

Element 115

Quote from: zeebo on May 14, 2016, 02:17:52 AM
hehe no i read somewhere that you can't do a true wipe disk.  I don't want my secret nacho recipes getting out.

Yes you can truly wipe a disk in about 18 hours via software, or 3 seconds with hardware (a hammer). Or yeah the microwave idea lol, nice.

Element 115

Samsung rocks all SSD.

Element 115

Unless you're using EIDE or IDE with no SATA ports. Then your dino machine is SoL. I've been building, upgrading and repairing PCs since the epic fail slotted Pentium.

Element 115

Anyone remember when the P1 and P2 PSU connections on a mobo were not ID10T proof?

cweb

Quote from: Element 115 on May 14, 2016, 06:25:11 PM
Yes they are, I have two Samsung 850 Pro SSDs and a WD internal platter for storage, and WD external. Make sure you change your BIOS config to ACHI in the SATA section for even faster performance.

I've not been overly impressed with Samsung Magician SSD software. Most everything can be configured in Windows except the Rapid Mode in Magician.
I'm running an 850 Pro on this here laptop. What a difference from the shitty "hybrid" drive they plopped in here. Love it.

Currently, I'm experimenting with a Crucial BX200 as network-attached media playback storage. So far, so good- considering the bottleneck happens at my wifi N devices.

Magician is OK. It did teach me about a few SSD best practices, so there's that.

Quote from: Element 115 on May 14, 2016, 06:31:38 PM
Yes you can truly wipe a disk in about 18 hours via software, or 3 seconds with hardware (a hammer). Or yeah the microwave idea lol, nice.
However, it's harder/expensive-r to do data recovery on SSDs versus HDDs.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on May 14, 2016, 06:25:11 PM

Yeah, and Rapid Mode doesn't really seem to make any discernable difference.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on May 14, 2016, 06:31:38 PM

Yeah, SSDs are so cheap now that if i reeeeeally needed to securely erase one, I'd just destroy it.