• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 21, 2018, 10:33:58 PM
RCH being uncharacteristically humble, giving Art credit for helping RCH be where he is today, letting Howard speak in complete sentences.  Playing some of Art’s favorite bumpers.  Also, I knew Howard liked Art, but I never realized he was such a fanboy.

and where is Richard today? living in a rented dump in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico doing an Internet radio show two nights a week to an audience of a couple hundred people.

Morgus

With Hoagie's Art Bell tribute tonight, c2cam last week and several other radio/internet shows recently - it seems the only place that hasn't done an Art Bell tribute is the Dark Matter Network...

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on April 21, 2018, 10:46:40 PM
and where is Richard today? living in a rented dump in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico doing an Internet radio show two nights a week to an audience of a couple hundred people.

Savage! ;D

in the opening of the show tonight Richard said his 'Enterprise Mission' project began as a children's science resource for schools, before it became in Richard's words 'a research operation' lol  Sad, Richard could have been like a Bill Nye but his personality marked by grandiosity sent him off the rails to an imaginary career as a 'scientist' himself.

Sean92008

Quote from: Morgus on April 21, 2018, 10:46:47 PM
With Hoagie's Art Bell tribute tonight, c2cam last week and several other radio/internet shows recently - it seems the only place that hasn't done an Art Bell tribute is the Dark Matter Network...

True.  I'm enjoying Howard Hughes tonight.

Maybe, just maybe all of the chatter that KR & HW wanted to keep his death a secret until THEY announced it is true.  It looks conspicuously that way.  Smoke=Fire.

Wow, apparently Hoagland was considered for replacing Art during one of his prior retirements, but back then Art told him he’d make a lousy host.

yoursongs

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 21, 2018, 11:13:15 PM
Wow, apparently Hoagland was considered for replacing Art during one of his prior retirements, but back then Art told him he’d make a lousy host.

Now tell the rest of the story, why Art actually told RCH to turn it down :-)

Sean92008

Art wanted Mike Siegel to replace him.  That guy was as flat and boring as a sheet of paper.  RCH could've done well with C2C if he took his passion and spread the subject matter across a wider spectrum.

yoursongs

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 21, 2018, 11:18:14 PM
Art wanted Mike Siegel to replace him.  That guy was as flat and boring as a sheet of paper.  RCH could've done well with C2C if he took his passion and spread the subject matter across a wider spectrum.

Not one mention of HW so far on OTOM!  They know the score too!

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 21, 2018, 11:18:14 PM

That's the important word, could've BUT Richard's ego is his worst enemy. Art like any good host broadcaster had the skill/sense to understand that the guest while they are on are the show is the show, his job was to make them compelling in some way -  Richard is an egomaniac and can't resist turning the show/guest into a prop while the show remains about himself and his ideas.

HumanBeing

Quote from: Morgus on April 21, 2018, 10:46:47 PM

It may be a Defunct Matter Network soon.

Sean92008

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on April 21, 2018, 11:26:32 PM
That's the important word, could've BUT Richard's ego is his worst enemy. Art like any good host broadcaster had the skill/sense to understand that the guest while they are on are the show is the show, his job was to make them compelling in some way -  Richard is an egomaniac and can't resist turning the show/guest into a prop while the show remains about himself and his ideas.

RCH is still entertaining as heck to me.  Though his ego shines, he doesn't completely ignore it (unlike the heavily-in-denial Heather).  I had found a program I love (Bryan Suits KFI) on Saturday nights but I tuned in tonight...  I really like tonight's show.  Yeah, the ego is part of the entertainment.  The creaky chair, the phone ringing at the beginning of the show's early days were all fun.  Yes, I called a few times  ::)

Morgus

Hoagie playing ABBA music in honor of Art tonight too.

Rocketeer

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 21, 2018, 11:32:16 PM
RCH is still entertaining as heck to me.  Though his ego shines, he doesn't completely ignore it (unlike the heavily-in-denial Heather).  I had found a program I love (Bryan Suits KFI) on Saturday nights but I tuned in tonight...  I really like tonight's show.  Yeah, the ego is part of the entertainment.  The creaky chair, the phone ringing at the beginning of the show's early days were all fun.  Yes, I called a few times  ::)

I like his old shows with Art, a lot.

I think his conviction helps.  MV, I thought quite handsomely, acknowledged Hoagie's shrewdness -- he couldn't pull the mileage out of his Martian fumes if he were a shitty salesman.  Fact is he's actually a really good one.

This is a great show tonight. Some good behind the scenes stories getting told. I could listen to these two talk for hours.

Sean92008

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on April 21, 2018, 10:44:20 PM
Good guest tonight, somebody who actually has had a real career in the real world. Art does deserve credit for bringing alternative/strange topics to mainstream people, albeit via overnight radio so the audience is already different than the workaday world.
Agreed.  I've liked HH although, on his own, he can get boring with filler and Hannity-like hitting the same point multiple times.  Maybe a weak guest that time but I've never gone back after that one show...

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on April 21, 2018, 10:44:20 PM
Art created theater of the mind

Well, he kept the tradition alive.  All those radio dramas (Orson Welles' The War of the Worlds) were very adept at doing that theater of the mind.  That great story telling translated well to early television.  The 1/2 hour Gunsmoke episodes were some of the best writing week in and week out and mostly derived from the radio program of the same name.

Morgus

Quote from: SaucyRossy on April 21, 2018, 11:47:13 PM
Art did want Howard on the network. He wanted Howard to lead into MITD. It’s possible he talked about this on air? But he loved Howard.
5days/week is too much for most.
Many only do a once a week podcast. 
Art probably should have gone that way too, like the old Dreamland show was a 3 hour show on Sunday nights only.
Hoagie is down to weekends now only, thats easier.

Hoagie still has his enthusiasm; his juice (“I feel like A 30-year old”), even though he’s 3 months older than Art.

By the way, Hoagie’s 73rd birthday is coming up next Wednesday, April 25th.

Rocketeer

Quote from: Étouffée on April 21, 2018, 11:50:19 PM
Hoagie still has his enthusiasm; his juice (“I feel like A 30-year old”), even though he’s 3 months older than Art.

By the way, Hoagie’s 73rd birthday is coming up next Wednesday, April 25th.

I did, very briefly, think how fitting "73" would sound for W6OBB's lifespan.  He one upped me by bagging Friday the 13th instead.

trostol

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on April 21, 2018, 11:01:32 PM
in the opening of the show tonight Richard said his 'Enterprise Mission' project began as a children's science resource for schools, before it became in Richard's words 'a research operation' lol  Sad, Richard could have been like a Bill Nye but his personality marked by grandiosity sent him off the rails to an imaginary career as a 'scientist' himself.

but he is like Bill Nye..both fake scientists

How do you know Hoagie is being honest about his birth year?

When he said 'Art and I are the same age ... well i'm a few months older' I immediately thought 'a few YEARS older'. When you're a salesman huckster like Richard is people are going to be skeptical whenever you say anything.

But he did make an important point, Art maybe just his personality and probably a lot to do with his health problems, was thinking about his death a lot while Hoagie thinks/feels young and somehow it does seem that makes a difference in how long/well we live. Why it depresses me when people decide voluntarily to retire from their careers/jobs -  death often follows shortly. Keep working, it keeps you feeling there's a purpose, you are working with mostly younger co-workers and that alone keeps you feeling younger unless you're of the personality that says 'look how young they are and look how old I look and feel'.

Quote from: trostol on April 22, 2018, 12:02:25 AM

Nye has become like Hoagie, ego maniac who now thinks he's an actual scientist. He didn't start out that way, fame/money went to his head.

Sean92008

Quote from: trostol on April 22, 2018, 12:02:25 AM

But he is unlike Bill Nye...  Art was entertaining.

Rocketeer

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on April 22, 2018, 12:03:51 AM
Nye has become like Hoagie, ego maniac who now thinks he's an actual scientist. He didn't start out that way, fame/money went to his head.

The Planetary Society does actual science.

At least Bill tries to do real "outreach" and has helped create a generation of objective contributors to Western civilization. 

I'd like to spend a few days in the alternate universe where Richard C. Hoagland is a popular airport novelist.

Sean92008

Tonight's show is making it so much harder for Heather to come back.

This is really entertaining and keeping Art's memory lifted up in respect.  Some behind the scenes stuff...  Wow!

MitD is going to have to really pull out all the stops to beat C2C and OSM's shows.

lol Richard goes full Richard

'this is how WE produced Art's show'

Rocketeer

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on April 22, 2018, 12:26:33 AM
lol Richard goes full Richard

'this is how WE produced Art's show'

Do we know if he ever met Art in real life?