• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Star passes through Oort Cloud

Started by GeorgieForPresident2216, February 18, 2015, 04:34:01 PM

pate

QuoteThe object, a red dwarf known as Scholz's star, cruised through the outer reaches of the Solar System - a region known as the Oort Cloud.

Scholz's star was not alone; it was accompanied on its travels by an object known as a brown dwarf. These are essentially failed stars ...

Huh, if they weren't already named stars, I'd recommend calling them Dave & Tommee...

Which is which?  Is Tommee a ginger?  If so I propose that we re-name Scholz Tomme (the bigger fatter of the pair) and the apparently un-named "failed" star can be henceforth known as Dave (or Jorch, igNoory ooo;  iota gammaNoory!  hmm...)

cweb

First thing I thought was the same: they're gonna relate this to Nibiru.  ::)

Wouldn't a more recent large-sized visitor to our system show some sort of effect on the orbits of the planets? I understand that this particular star glanced through the Oort cloud, which is pretty far out there- so it's less likely to have pushed any of the inner bodies around.

And what's the margin of error here? Measurements taken of objects so far out seem kind of...difficult.

sydtron

Question: Wouldnt their masses whizzing by, create some sort of gravitational anomoly??  Im no physicist.  But dont those have like major density??

Gd5150

That's an amazing story. Perhaps it's actually in a long period orbit with our sun and causes some of the unexplained extinctions we experience every 60 million years or so.

zeebo

Quote from: Gd5150 on February 19, 2015, 02:05:30 AM
That's an amazing story. Perhaps it's actually in a long period orbit with our sun and causes some of the unexplained extinctions we experience every 60 million years or so.

I was wondering about that too, but the story I read said it only grazed the outer Oort Cloud - apparently not close enough to perturb any icy bodies towards the inner solar system.  So this one is probably a Nibir-Dud.