• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

b_dubb

last night's knapp show is as good as the first missing persons show with paulides [ imo ].  paulides cracks me up - he said: "... mountain man to the MAX".  you go valley girl.  you go.

bluth co.

I only got to listen to the last hour of the show, i really want to listen to the rest. I'm just so happy that theres a coast show that I actually want to listen to.

fysisist

^^^ I know the feeling.  It was due to a Knapp show that I missed that I (very unwisely) renewed streamlink last time. 

VtaGeezer

I was expecting to nod off in 5 minutes, but was pleasantly surprised at how interesting last night's show turned out.  A guest with a command of the details and ability to resist making baseless or far-out assertions. and a host who knew how to steer the discussion. They put the info out and the listeners could decide as they chose whether these missing are from criminal activity, bad luck...or something reeaally strange. Good job GK...again.

CoastCanuck

Knapp said something to the effect he is spoiled in his job and gave the example he was recently invited to a dinner... and he often says he can pretty much do as he wants in his day job.  Plus he covers local Vegas stories, which he wouldn't be able to do on a national show.  I get the impression Knapp is happy at KLAS and wouldn't take on C2C full time hosting duties if offered. 

Nebraska888

Knapp rocked the house.....again!  Really spooky stuff.....LOVED EVERY SECOND!

Knapp is playing well, showing how a great radio show can be done. No one is taking Notes though. Instead they're wondering why Jesse Ventura cancelled and how to get people to by food e direct. And all that.

cmotors

Knapp is the best thing that has happened to C2C in a long time. They are very fortunate to have him, and really, he is in a league of his own. That's how you do this show. You can tell when someone has a passion for what they do, and that comes through very loud and clear.

Great follow up show on the national park disappearances. I was impressed by Paulides' extensive recall of these cases, including names, dates and the minute details of the disappearance. The saddest was the father of the boy who disappeared before his eyes, talking to Paulides on the porch years later, outside of his wife's earshot. This man will take the pain of his boy's disappearance to the grave. It's the not knowing that's the worst thing in these cases. Great job, as usual, by Knapp asking the right questions to get the full story out.

ziznak

I really enjoyed Knapps last show.  I just listened to it tonight and found it riveting.  Kudos to the guest for being very down to earth even though he's known for his BF research.  If Paulides was like many of the usual guests he would have tried to tie all of his missing person research to his BF research some how.  I really like how he didn't try to jump to any conclusions as why these people where going missing and only presented the known facts.  Of course Knapp was very well informed on the subject matter so his questions were pertinent to the topic... even at one point helping out a stuttering caller who couldn't quite spit his question out.  great show

Rasputin

I'm halfway through this show, and its one of the best I've listened to in a VERY long time! George Knapp is one hell of an interviewer!

Ben Shockley

I usually listen at home via PC, so it was a little treat / something different for me last Sunday night as I drove around town doing some late-night shopping, and listening to Knapp and Paulides.

Now-- I'm a Knapp fan too, but this is revealing: some folks in here are just gushing over how superlative he is in the interview category.  But really folks, Knapp is just doing what an interviewer is supposed to do: be informed, and engage the guest.
What we're seeing in some folks' reactions is just more indirect proof of how far down the drain Noory has taken the remains of "Coast."   Noory has taken us to where now "supposed to do" looks like "above and beyond" !!!

cmotors

Quote from: Ben Shockley on June 28, 2012, 01:53:05 PM
Now-- I'm a Knapp fan too, but this is revealing: some folks in here are just gushing over how superlative he is in the interview category.  But really folks, Knapp is just doing what an interviewer is supposed to do: be informed, and engage the guest.
What we're seeing in some folks' reactions is just more indirect proof of how far down the drain Noory has taken the remains of "Coast."   Noory has taken us to where now "supposed to do" looks like "above and beyond" !!!
Yeah, now that you mention it, it is quite telling. Maybe its just really difficult to find a good host for this kind of show and its topics.  Or, probably more likely, there's so many melon heads that listen to this type of show, that quality in host is not really important.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: cmotors on June 28, 2012, 03:20:15 PM
... probably more likely, there's so many melon heads that listen to this type of show, that quality in host is not really important.
Going a little off-topic but proving what you say: note how many people on youtube are praising Noory's horrendous video.   I'd presume most if not all those cheerleaders listen to him on "Coast," so yeah-- apparently a lot of "melon heads" listening to "Coast" and loving the shit sandwiches Noory serves nightly.

HAL 9000

George Knapp will be appearing as a guest on Above Top Secret Live this weekend.

See here for official announcement:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread855783/pg1

CoastCanuck

Quote from: HAL 9000 on June 29, 2012, 12:05:09 AM
George Knapp will be appearing as a guest on Above Top Secret Live this weekend.

See here for official announcement:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread855783/pg1
I apologize if this seems like a dumb question, but where do you listen/watch Above Top Secret Live? 

kf5iwe

In your toilet bowl. There is a speaker. Put your head in the bowl and turn on the speaker with the lever on the tank, usually silver in color.

HAL 9000

Quote from: CoastCanuck on June 29, 2012, 05:12:03 PMI apologize if this seems like a dumb question, but where do you listen/watch Above Top Secret Live?

As best I can tell, when you go to the link, you'll see another link in the poster's signature, which is:

http://illustrial.net/site/

Once there, there are instructions on how to view/listen to the show and ask questions live.

Looks like you use Skype and log into a specific contact, etc. They explain about their "netiquette" so as not to create excessive noise during the program.

Looks like it's Saturday at 2100.

Nebraska888

Quote from: Ben Shockley on June 28, 2012, 01:53:05 PM
I usually listen at home via PC, so it was a little treat / something different for me last Sunday night as I drove around town doing some late-night shopping, and listening to Knapp and Paulides.

Nebraska888

Yes, Ben....you are correct.....when we listen to CRAP......we suddenly become overly appreciative of a good interview.....like Knapp does with his guests.  No argument from me on your assertions!

ClarkIt

Surprised at all the George controversy here. No love for Noory and much for Knapp?!  I find Knapp's "sirocco" into pedestrian and his voice annoying. Please stop with the wild horses updates!
Noory himself said he gives each guest respect and isn't into criticism or challenging them. That's his style.

Anyways I'm a C2C listener from the Art Bell days and enjoy the show no matter who is hosting

stevesh

Quote from: ClarkIt on July 05, 2012, 03:02:46 PM
Surprised at all the George controversy here. No love for Noory and much for Knapp?!  I find Knapp's "sirocco" into pedestrian and his voice annoying. Please stop with the wild horses updates!
Noory himself said he gives each guest respect and isn't into criticism or challenging them. That's his style.

Anyways I'm a C2C listener from the Art Bell days and enjoy the show no matter who is

Troll and spammer in one post. Well done, sir.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: stevesh on July 06, 2012, 03:23:01 AM
Troll and spammer in one post. Well done, sir.

You gotta love it, though.

Knapp's intro, which has been through about 6 or 7 revisions where you can see Knapp carefully thinking about each precise word and its placement, is "pedestrian."

Noory's intro doesn't get a mention, but was developed this way:

George: I gotta have me an intro.  Art has an intro.  I can throw some words together that sound sumpthin' like Art's.  Okay. Done.  "From the city of angels off the Pacific Ocean. Good morning, good evening, wherever you may be, across the nation, around the world. I'm George Noory."

(But George, the City of Angels isn't OFF the Pacific Ocean, now is it?)

Quote from: Lovely Bones on July 06, 2012, 07:35:53 AM
You gotta love it, though.

Knapp's intro, which has been through about 6 or 7 revisions where you can see Knapp carefully thinking about each precise word and its placement, is "pedestrian."

Noory's intro doesn't get a mention, but was developed this way:

George: I gotta have me an intro.  Art has an intro.  I can throw some words together that sound sumpthin' like Art's.  Okay. Done.  "From the city of angels off the Pacific Ocean. Good morning, good evening, wherever you may be, across the nation, around the world. I'm George Noory.
(But George, the City of Angels isn't OFF the Pacific Ocean, now is it?)

Ian has used several, I think he finally decided he didn't need one.   The last few times I listened to him, it almost sounded like he was in mid-sentence when he came on, and oh yeah, is it time for the show already?

One of his intros that I recall was something about 'comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable'.

Like a lot of his cleverness, that just grated.  Why would he feel the need to afflict anyone?  Or was that just some cute word play to say?  I don't think there are many people out there more 'comfortable' than Ian Punnett.

fysisist

Noory's intro is just a thinly disguised version of an Art Bell intro.  Like everything else on Noory's C2C AM, it is lame, uninteresting, it sucks.  Ian seemed to like that play on words type of thing, as mentioned by Paper*Boy, and "with a face for radio and a voice for TV" or whatever, and then the slightly bumbling, casual "Oh am I on the air already" thing became his intro.  Isn't that something similar to what Rush Limbaugh does?  Knapp's might be a little cheesy and slightly over the top, but he pulls it off very well, I think it fits with his on-air personality.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 06, 2012, 10:53:47 AM

Ian has used several, I think he finally decided he didn't need one.   The last few times I listened to him, it almost sounded like he was in mid-sentence when he came on, and oh yeah, is it time for the show already?

One of his intros that I recall was something about 'comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable'.

Like a lot of his cleverness, that just grated.  Why would he feel the need to afflict anyone?  Or was that just some cute word play to say?  I don't think there are many people out there more 'comfortable' than Ian Punnett.

The "comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable" is an unattributed quote he's using, proving, I guess, that Ian is more well read than you, PB:

As a journalist in the age of "muckraking journalism", Dunne was aware of the power of institutions, including his own. Writing as Dooley, Dunne once wrote the following passage cautioning against the power of the newspapers themselves:

"Th newspaper does ivrything f'r us. It runs th' polis foorce an' th' banks, commands th' milishy, controls th' ligislachure, baptizes th' young, marries th' foolish, comforts th' afflicted, afflicts th' comfortable, buries th' dead an' roasts thim aftherward".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finley_Peter_Dunne

Actually, his most frequent intro goes something like, "I'm Ian Punnett, with a face for radio and a voice for print." 

But I'm sure you'll find some way to spin that to show us how egotistical and arrogant he is. 

(Yeah, I hold a grudge against you on the Ian score.  :P)

Edited to add:

Sorry, fysisist.  I shoulda read your post first. 

cmotors

Quote from: ClarkIt on July 05, 2012, 03:02:46 PMNoory himself said he gives each guest respect and isn't into criticism or challenging them. That's his style.

I'll bite and go a bit off topic. On the surface that does make it look like he's just being an all round great guy.  If that were really the case, more power to him.  However, I personally think that is more a matter of his approach to this "business".  When you are promoting a product such as a book or service, it really doesn't help if the host calls you on anything.  So, I believe Noory's approach is more about getting the guest on, promoting the product, and moving on. If the host were more interested in getting into the topics and examining them because it was of interest to the host, then his approach would typically be different than the promote everyone strategy.  To noory, it seems more like a business approach, then it is a way of looking into and examining things. Some just won't see that kind of difference I guess.

onan

Quote from: cmotors on July 06, 2012, 04:56:50 PM
I'll bite and go a bit off topic. On the surface that does make it look like he's just being an all round great guy.  If that were really the case, more power to him.  However, I personally think that is more a matter of his approach to this "business".  When you are promoting a product such as a book or service, it really doesn't help if the host calls you on anything.  So, I believe Noory's approach is more about getting the guest on, promoting the product, and moving on. If the host were more interested in getting into the topics and examining them because it was of interest to the host, then his approach would typically be different than the promote everyone strategy.  To noory, it seems more like a business approach, then it is a way of looking into and examining things. Some just won't see that kind of difference I guess.

I don't care what approach he uses. He sucks at it.

Quote from: Lovely Bones on July 06, 2012, 04:00:04 PM
The "comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable" is an unattributed quote he's using, proving, I guess, that Ian is more well read than you, PB...

Yeah I know, heard it recited by others from time to time.  What I still don't know is what 'afflicting the comfortable' had to do with Coast. 

I'm going to guess he didn't mean his hosting style... did he?

Harmness

Quote from: Lovely Bones on July 06, 2012, 04:00:04 PM
The "comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable" is an unattributed quote he's using, proving, I guess, that Ian is more well read than you, PB:

As a journalist in the age of "muckraking journalism", Dunne was aware of the power of institutions, including his own. Writing as Dooley, Dunne once wrote the following passage cautioning against the power of the newspapers themselves:

"Th newspaper does ivrything f'r us. It runs th' polis foorce an' th' banks, commands th' milishy, controls th' ligislachure, baptizes th' young, marries th' foolish, comforts th' afflicted, afflicts th' comfortable, buries th' dead an' roasts thim aftherward".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finley_Peter_Dunne

Mr. Dooley!  Love that Mick.