• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

WOTR

Quote from: ShayP on July 21, 2017, 01:07:07 PM
Joining George Knapp, acclaimed business writer James Ledbetter
I fell asleep half way through... Too much sun up on my roof... But I was happy to hear "good George" on my radio.  :)

albrecht

I think even under FDRs ban you could own and buy/sell gold if in jewelry etc. Not sure about old coins (back then.) Also lots of people around the world use gold (often in those forms) for dowries, in emergencies if the currency flops, to buy their way out of a country during a civil war or government crackdown, to hold wealth in places with large currency fluctuations, etc. I recall Jews (and likely some others) used diamonds, gold, etc to buy their way out of German-held lands on occasion (sow diamonds in clothes) etc. They also are fungible basically anywhere in the world where as a country's currency might not be.
So the guest might be right as an 'investment' but there might be reasons to have some gold, diamonds, etc for reasons other than investments or a total government/economic collapse.

ps: Knapp, Gold, historically, at least in the USA, has not been a "populist" cause! Recall William Jennings Bryan? "Cross Of Gold" ring any bells? Recall the various Parties and debates over gold vs silver, corporate vs farmer/rural, Easy/Free credit and Silver vs Hard credit Gold, "sound money" vs "free silver," etc?

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on July 23, 2017, 09:15:38 PM
I think even under FDRs ban you could own and buy/sell gold if in jewelry etc. Not sure about old coins (back then.) Also lots of people around the world use gold (often in those forms) for dowries, in emergencies if the currency flops, to buy their way out of a country during a civil war or government crackdown, to hold wealth in places with large currency fluctuations, etc. I recall Jews (and likely some others) used diamonds, gold, etc to buy their way out of German-held lands on occasion (sow diamonds in clothes) etc. They also are fungible basically anywhere in the world where as a country's currency might not be.
So the guest might be right as an 'investment' but there might be reasons to have some gold, diamonds, etc for reasons other than investments or a total government/economic collapse.

ps: Knapp, Gold, historically, at least in the USA, has not been a "populist" cause! Recall William Jennings Bryan? "Cross Of Gold" ring any bells? Recall the various Parties and debates over gold vs silver, corporate vs farmer/rural, Easy/Free credit and Silver vs Hard credit Gold, "sound money" vs "free silver," etc?

Guess what brought down FDR's biggest program, the NRA? No, not the National Rifle Association, the National Recovery Act. A humble chicken farmer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.L.A._Schechter_Poultry_Corp._v._United_States

albrecht

Quote from: Chefist on July 23, 2017, 09:25:14 PM
Guess what brought down FDR's biggest program, the NRA? No, not the National Rifle Association, the National Recovery Act. A humble chicken farmer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.L.A._Schechter_Poultry_Corp._v._United_States
Yeah, but then we went away and back to DC dictating everything approach in many cases. Though in recent times there has been, luckily, more of a shift to 10th Amendment and some, a bit, of more common sense approach. But not much. Almost everything is regulated these days. Seriously you can search and most likely their will be some law or regulation about it. And this is just on the Federal level:
www.federalregister.gov
ps:
Don't knock chicken farmers. A big one based in Arkansas also helped Clintons to reach prominence and offices, decades later, in exchange for some help.  ;)  >:(

But my point about the guest and show was that there are reasons to own gold, silver, diamonds, etc besides investment or a "zombie apocalypse" (this was a term Knapp actually used.)

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on July 23, 2017, 09:31:00 PM
Yeah, but then we went away and back to DC dictating everything approach in many cases. Though in recent times there has been, luckily, more of a shift to 10th Amendment and some, a bit, of more common sense approach. But not much. Almost everything is regulated these days. Seriously you can search and most likely their will be some law or regulation about it. And this is just on the Federal level:
www.federalregister.gov
ps:
Don't knock chicken farmers. A big one based in Arkansas also helped Clintons to reach prominence and offices, decades later, in exchange for some help.  ;)  >:(

But my point about the guest and show was that there are reasons to own gold, silver, diamonds, etc besides investment or a "zombie apocalypse" (this was a term Knapp actually used.)

Wasn't knocking them...giving them credit!  :)

oy-way

GET READY FOR THE REAL SHOW with George Knapp on C2C!!

Not the other "wanna be show" show

TigerLily

Last night was very good. But now I'm ready for four hours of UFO's before returning to weeknight mediocrity

oy-way

THERE WE GO - REAL SHOW STARTED

chefist

Quote from: TigerLily on July 23, 2017, 11:06:54 PM
Last night was very good. But now I'm ready for four hours of UFO's before returning to weeknight mediocrity

TigerLily

Happy Anniversary, Good George! We're very happy to listen

zeebo

Quote from: TigerLily on July 23, 2017, 11:09:49 PM
Happy Anniversary, Good George! We're very happy to listen

Glad you mentioned, and much agreed.  That was such a quick and humble acknowledgement of the occasion I almost missed it, unlike Noory's 4-hr. secret-door self-celebration extravaganzas. 

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on July 23, 2017, 11:15:29 PM
Glad you mentioned, and much agreed.  That was such a quick and humble acknowledgement of the occasion I almost missed it, unlike Noory's 4-hr. secret-door self-celebration extravaganzas.

No doubt about it; Knapp is a kool kat

Dr. MD MD

Symposium is Greek for drinking party.  ;)

TigerLily

Quote from: Chefist on July 23, 2017, 11:09:32 PM

I wouldn't muddy my hiking boots to search for Bigfoot. But in search of a rampaging Redford in the deep woods ...

ShayP

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye!

Cheers to all I've gotten to know over the years, and had fun with.  8)

...Be well.  :)

I posted this in the Hoagie thread but it was taken as a "goodnight" type thing.  However this is "goodbye."  In no way am I trying to be dramatic.  I just want to post out of courtesy to those I've grown familiar with in this forum.  When former BellGabber 'onan' bounced, he changed his name and said "Thanks for all the fish."  LOL!  Clever.  But...I am more formal.  Cheers all!  ;)

TigerLily

Quote from: ShayP on July 23, 2017, 11:34:19 PM

Cheers to all I've gotten to know over the years, and had fun with.  8)

...Be well.  :)

I posted this in the Hoagie thread but it was taken as a "goodnight" type thing.  However this is "goodbye."  In no way am I trying to be dramatic.  I just want to post out of courtesy to those I've grown familiar with in this forum.  When former BellGabber 'onan' bounced, he changed his name and said "Thanks for all the fish."  LOL!  Clever.  But...I am more formal.  Cheers all!  ;)

Oh no you don't. If I'm (barely) hanging on so should you. Besides, who will fetch my favorite libation for me on a warm summer's night? Indeed take a break but don't let another - nay, our favorite poster - take a permanent vacation  :'(  :'(  :'(

zeebo

Quote from: ShayP on July 23, 2017, 11:34:19 PM

Shay don't make a squirrel cry, it's not a pretty sight.  Maybe you just need some time away.  I can understand that, feel the same way these days.  In any case if I'm around I hope you're around too, it just wouldn't be the same otherwise.  Cheers buddy.

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on July 23, 2017, 11:43:51 PM
Shay don't make a squirrel cry, it's not a pretty sight.  Maybe you just need some time away.  I can understand that, feel the same way these days.  In any case if I'm around I hope you're around too, it just wouldn't be the same otherwise.  Cheers buddy.

The Squirrel and I have spoken. Your presence is required. Don't make TigerLily grovel. It's not my best look

oy-way

ShayP
Just do what you think you need to do ShayP.
Others will always try to project their wishes on others.
Sometimes taking brake from things is good and on the long run very needed and beneficial.
Make sure that you will use that new found freedom time wisely.
Was nice to know you. :)

BTW. if you act like a pussy and return tomorrow or next day you will... ah never mind

oy-way

Perfect example how intelligent George Knapp is,
he let's his guest know the there is an approximately 2 minutes left to the brake,
stupid Noory takes the conversation to the last 3 seconds and then cuts off the guest in the middle of the spoken word.

The Sound of Music.

I hate that musical.

I'll miss your reasonable lunacy, unique wit, and unfailing bonhomie.

Crawdad.

Dr. MD MD

Come back, Shay! Shay...come back!  :'(

Nebraska888

Quote from: oy-vey on July 24, 2017, 12:30:48 AM
Perfect example how intelligent George Knapp is,
he let's his guest know the there is an approximately 2 minutes left to the brake,
stupid Noory takes the conversation to the last 3 seconds and then cuts off the guest in the middle of the spoken word.

Good observation....

oy-way

Yes great show, Knapp has this talent to make guests relaxed and guides the interview smoothly and intelligently.
I wish for George Noory to find some gold digging bimbo on his "Paranormal Date" fall in love with her to the point that he quits C2C, lol :)

ItsOver

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 24, 2017, 01:13:12 AM
Come back, Shay! Shay...come back!  :'(

We're going to miss you, neighbor.

chefist

Quote from: ItsOver on July 24, 2017, 01:51:38 PM
We're going to miss you, neighbor.

Did Shay just get bored with it all?

Uncle Duke

Just listened to last night's show.  Got a chuckle out of Dolan playing the "voice of reason" role at the MUFON conference, implying he was there to lend credibility to the event.  This is, of course, the same Dolan who jumped with both feet into Jaime Maussan's tiny alien mummy fiasco a year or two back.  As for MUFON's credibility.........

I did greatly enjoy John Hanson, the former detective came across as a bit of a British "Colombo" during the interview.  I particularly liked how eccentrically he answered Knapp's question about Hanson's knowledge of Prince Phillip's interest in UFOs.  I'm thinking about ordering his books, but since they are relatively expensive, I'm going to go for an interlibrary loan of a couple volumes first to see if they as good as Knapp made them out to be.  Once I review them, I will post a mini book report.  Anyone read any of his books?

ItsOver

Quote from: Chefist on July 24, 2017, 02:17:35 PM
Did Shay just get bored with it all?
How could that be possible with all the posts concerning every possible minutia about the most interesting man in Martinez?