• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

ItsOver

An interesting little piece concerning one of the pivotal scenes in "Darkest Hour."  A very well executed setup of artistic license to condense what was most likely close to reality.

https://www.thewrap.com/darkest-hour-winston-churchill-sneak-off-london-underground-subway/

Taaroa

I just watched the new Xfiles episode...

What the fuck were they thinking?

Quote from: ItsOver on January 07, 2018, 11:13:49 AM
An interesting little piece concerning one of the pivotal scenes in "Darkest Hour."  A very well executed setup of artistic license to condense what was most likely close to reality.

https://www.thewrap.com/darkest-hour-winston-churchill-sneak-off-london-underground-subway/

Good to know that Churchill might have done that at that time. It was the one flaw I found in the movie.  I didn't believe it at the time.

Just saw All The Money in The World.  To think they reshot all of Spacey's scenes with Plummer about a month ago.  I honestly don't see Spacey as the aged billionaire.  Plummer gave a fantastic performance and should probably get an Oscar for it.  He is in a lot of the film so the re-shots and re-editing by Scott were extensive. Wahlberg and Michelle Williams give good complementary performances.  I see Oldman with the Best Actor Oscar and Plummer with the Best Supporting Actor Oscar in what is almost a lead role. A very good film and I give it 4 stars.

PS.  Getty makes pre-Carol Ebenezer Scrooge seem extraordinarily generous in comparison.  What a miser. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 08, 2018, 01:40:18 AM
Just saw All The Money in The World.  To think they reshot all of Spacey's scenes with Plummer about a month ago.  I honestly don't see Spacey as the aged billionaire.  Plummer gave a fantastic performance and should probably get an Oscar for it.  He is in a lot of the film so the re-shots and re-editing by Scott were extensive. Wahlberg and Michelle Williams give good complementary performances.  I see Oldman with the Best Actor Oscar and Plummer with the Best Supporting Actor Oscar in what is almost a lead role. A very good film and I give it 4 stars.

PS.  Getty makes pre-Carol Ebenezer Scrooge seem extraordinarily generous in comparison.  What a miser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRFlNryaWw

ItsOver

Quote from: Taaroa on January 08, 2018, 12:41:05 AM
I just watched the new Xfiles episode...

What the fuck were they thinking?
Just a little more than "contrived?"  ;D  Hell, half of the episode consisted of Mulder driving like a madman to and from South Carolina.  ;D  The current writing isn't nearly as clever and entertaining as the original.  I'd call it more gratuitous.  Oh, well.  I'm glad OTA My Network TV is now showing the old episodes on Tuesday nights so I can enjoy those and DVR them.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 08, 2018, 01:33:10 AM
Good to know that Churchill might have done that at that time. It was the one flaw I found in the movie.  I didn't believe it at the time.
Yes, that's why I did a little "Googling" of it.  It seemed just a little "too convenient."  ;)  But, considering how crappy most of today's Hollywood drek has become, it wasn't all that bad and did serve to condense a little bit of potential history into the constraints of movie-making. It's always a fine line between fact and entertainment when it comes to the movies and some do it much better than others.

By the way, did Oldman's portrayal of Churchill remind you a little of the "offbeat," non-conformist nature of one of today's leaders?  :)

TigerLily

I just finished watching Ten Days in the Valley. I thought it was really well done. Kyra Sedgwick plays the screenwriter/mom who's daughter is kidnapped. I think it got good critical reviews but tanked with viewers. My guess was that the protagonists were a bunch of stereotypical Hollywood elitists; always drunk or drugged, completely self-absorbed and terrible parents but ambitious and successful. My people. And confirmed the worst assumptions of the rest of the country. But just think. You can watch it, be thoroughly wrapped up in the story and excellent acting and feel totally superior to these sorry suckers. TigerLily Recommended

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 11, 2018, 08:07:41 AM
Ah, for the halcyon days of yore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/style/who-is-rex-reed.html
“I like just as many films as I dislike,” Mr. Reed said. “But I think we’re drowning in mediocrity. I just try as hard as I can to raise the level of consciousness. It’s so hard to get people to see good films.”

They’re too busy “lining up to see to see ‘Star Wars 93’ or whatever it is,” he said."

Thuh trooth!  ;)  Unfortunately.  :'(  The era of Noory mediocrity.  We're drowning in suckage.  All we need is the mandatory wearing of "puffy" shirts to finish us off.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 11, 2018, 08:07:41 AM
Ah, for the halcyon days of yore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/style/who-is-rex-reed.html

He was always the most obviously gay critic. I'm not sure if that's why I never got his reviews or not but they just seemed more like catty gossip columns to me.

Zetaspeak

Last night I got a chance to see The Commuter and it's a very Liam Neeson film. I thought it was fun but critics don't seem to like it, but whatever it old man Neeson walking up and down a train like a mad man beating people up, so that's enough for me  ;D Oh yeah and one of my favorite actresses is in it to..

TigerLily

Quote from: ItsOver on January 08, 2018, 08:53:17 AM
Just a little more than "contrived?"  ;D  Hell, half of the episode consisted of Mulder driving like a madman to and from South Carolina.  ;D  The current writing isn't nearly as clever and entertaining as the original.  I'd call it more gratuitous.  Oh, well.  I'm glad OTA My Network TV is now showing the old episodes on Tuesday nights so I can enjoy those and DVR them.

Have to agree with Taaroa and you, IO. Certainly not as good as the first years of the original or even last year's reboot. Scully/Anderson still looks great and doing a good job. Basically carrying the show. Mulder/Duchovny seems to be sleepwalking through his scenes. And not really aging well. He now looks like all those photos of Russian oligarchs; too much good living and bad habits

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Zetaspeak on January 12, 2018, 12:17:21 PM
Oh yeah and one of my favorite actresses is in it to..

Vera Farmiga.

Alright, alright, alright.

ShayP

Purchased a copy of this at a thrift store recently.  I haven't seen it in many years.  I was hoping it would be as funny as I first remember and I was not disappointed.  I may have laughed harder now than back then.  ;D

My favorite scene...

https://youtu.be/eu8erlaxLAg

TigerLily

Quote from: ShayP on January 13, 2018, 09:22:15 AM

Purchased a copy of this at a thrift store recently.  I haven't seen it in many years.  I was hoping it would be as funny as I first remember and I was not disappointed.  I may have laughed harder now than back then.  ;D

My favorite scene...

https://youtu.be/eu8erlaxLAg

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 13, 2018, 09:34:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhyyz1dRc0c

Several lol's. What glorious idiots Sellers could play. Thanks for the clips, guys

Peter Sellers is my favorite comedian.  He was simply brilliant.  One of my favorites of his is The Party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9luEstwNPEA

Rix Gins

I saw this a couple nights ago on one of my Best of The Dean Martin Show dvds.  Peter was talking like a gay person and he had the audience in stitches.  (Catch Nipsey Russell's comment at the 5:15 mark.)

https://youtu.be/TNehJHwOamw

On the Academy Award nominations.

My picks for the major categories.

Best Picture

Darkest Hour

Probably Winner:

Ebbing, Missouri - because of #metoo

Best Director

No favorite as I've only seen Dunkirk and I thought it was just ok.

Probable Winner:

Guillermo del Toro - Have no intention of seeing Shape Of Water in a theater

Best Actress

Margot Robbie (I Tonya) - because she's hot LOL.  I'll catch it on dvd as well.

Probable Winner:

Frances McDormand  Ebbing, MO (#metoo) 

Best Actor

My Pick and Probable Winner:

Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)  -  I'll flip out if he doesn't win

Supporting Actress:

No favorite as I've seen none of the performances.

Probable Winner:

Allison Janney (I, Tonya) -  Just a wild speculative guess

Supporting Actor

My Pick and Probable Winner

Christopher Plummer (All The Money In The World) Rockwell and Harrelson will cancel each other out and the other two are meh

Other comments:

Get Out?  Really?  ::) Hostiles should have received some nominations.  Michelle Williams should have been nominated for All The Money In The World.  Darkest Hour should win for makeup.  As for the rest of the categories and films, I'm not that interested.  I haven't seen the Franco film so I don't know the merits of it.  Of the best pictures nominated, I'm interested in seeing Shape of Water, Ebbing, MO and Phantom Thread.  I'd say The Post but the Pentagon Papers and glorification of the Washington Post is not something I wish to revisit.  I'm more bored with the subject than anything.  Late 60's and Early 70's political films have been done to death.  Just so no one gets in a tizzy, I have deep respect for Bob Woodward as I think he really tries to be fair.  Carl Bernstein, not so much.  PS,  I know the Post has nothing to do with Woodward and Bernstein as far as I know but same era.

paladin1991

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 31, 2017, 01:28:50 AM
Just saw Darkest Hour.  If Gary Oldman doesn't win Best Actor for his portrayal of Churchill, I'll never watch another Acadamy Award show again.  I won't say it is the Best Picture of the year but it is one of the best for sure.  Of course the Academy will never give it Best Picture because the left generally doesn't like Churchill. Much preferred it over Dunkirk which was a bit ponderous. 4 and half stars out of 5.

Looking fwd to this one myself.

In the Works.  Mel Gibson directs his sequel to the Passion of The Christ detailing Christ in Hell and His Resurrection. Caviezel returns as Christ.

http://www.wnd.com/2018/01/jim-caviezel-new-passion-of-the-christ-to-be-biggest-film-in-history/

zeebo

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 31, 2018, 12:54:25 AM
Spielberg’s next movie comes out in March.

The book is alot of fun, at least for us nerdy kids of the 80's.  I loved it so much I read it twice back-to-back just so I could pick up on all the pop-culture references.  I was surprised though when I heard a movie was in production, as it just didn't seem feasible to make a successful film out of it.

From the trailer I saw it looks like they've dealt with this by straying pretty far from the spirit and content of the book.  Might still be a good movie, but I think it'll be almost like an alternate-universe version of the story.

ItsOver

Quote from: paladin1991 on January 25, 2018, 02:34:13 AM
Looking fwd to this one myself.
March your fanny into the nearest theater showing "Darkest Hour."  I can't hear yeeewww!

ItsOver

Watched "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" on a local station last night.  Indeed, one of the more enjoyable X-Files episodes.  Charles Nelson Reilly interacting with Scully is a hoot.

Rix Gins

I watched 2004's Alexander (as in The Great) on Netflix last week.  A couple days later I watched J. Edgar (as in Hoover) that was filmed back in 2011.  Surprisingly, these two movies had several things in common.

For starters, both flicks had similar styles of titles.  They both showed the main character's names but in incomplete ways.  J. Edgar without 'Hoover' and Alexander without his middle name 'The' and his last name 'Great.' There were some other similarities too.

Alexander was an ok epic but I didn't much care for the movie's timeline.  The film jumped back and forth in time.  In one scene, Alexander was a small boy, hanging out with his warrior dad and in another he would be a grown man, conversing with his mom.  It was kind of confusing.  A large chunk of the movie dealt with Alexander's love for two male characters.  One was a friend he had known since childhood and the other was a woman-like eunuch.  The movie seemed to go out of it's way to show that Alexander loved the two of them, one just as much as the other.  I enjoyed the movie but not enough to where I would like to see it again.  There were some grand battle scenes, and Angelina Jolie did a fine job of portraying Alexander's mother.

J. Edgar was an epic of sorts too, in that it covered quite a chunk of FBI history, from it's inception on up to Hoover's death.  Good movie but I would have enjoyed it better if the film's makers hadn't of gotten the nifty idea of bouncing J. Edgar back and forth through time.  He would be an old man watching the horses run in one scene, then he would be a young, federal  lawman in the next. Sound familiar?  A big portion of the movie showed the love that J. Edgar had for an agent that he hired to be his assistant.  The film really didn't make clear if the two men were having sex but they did kiss passionately in one scene.  J. Edgar also put his mom's dress on after coming home from her funeral so he had some mother issues.  (Come to think of it, so did Alexander.)  J. Edgar was a pretty good film though, especially when it covered the Lindbergh Kidnapping Case, and Hoover's blackmail tinged relationship with the Kennedy brothers.  The guy who played Hoover didn't sound anything like the real FBI director, but I guess you can't have everything in a movie.

Alexander was directed by Oliver Stone.  I was beginning to think that he had directed J. Edgar too, but no, once the end credits started to roll, I saw that it was directed by Clint Eastwood.