• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Titanfall (PC)

Started by steelbot, March 14, 2014, 01:41:26 PM

steelbot

Well,  I needed a distraction and found it!!

Titanfall is a very fun mix of fast paced FPS with giant fricken robots thrown into the mix.   I got the game and have been streaming whenever I'm playing on twitch.tv - so if anyone is interested to see what this game is about check it out sometime. 

My pc hardware is old by today's standards but still runs this game smoothly.
core i7 2600k, 16gb ram, 1 Sapphire AMD Radeon HD6950 2gb card.  I can run on max settings and all buffers maxed out.

Here is just one of the games I played recently - http://www.twitch.tv/steelahlive/c/3885889
and the stream can be found here - www.twitch.tv/steelahlive

area51drone

That looks cool.  Just curious - can you play as a regular soldier instead of inside a robot?  At the start of a round, I saw some regular foot soldiers dropping in...

Titanfall reminds me very much of the role playing game company FASA (based in Seattle by chance) and their games Battletech (giant robot combat) and Mechwarrior (the associated RPG for pilots/characters).

zeebo

Jeez these newbie games, so easy.  I'm playing Ultima IV, that's friggin ULTIMA IV, newbies!  So friggin hard and complicated and crazy keystrokes required.  Modern gamers can't deal with such madness. 

What, you didn't bring enough health elixir down to level eight of the dungeon?  YOU'RE SCREWED.

What, sea monsters nailed your ship even though you just spent hours getting across the sea?  YOU'RE SCREWED.

What, you got to that remote part of the forest, to find the fabled chalice, but you're an idiot and neglected to first talk to the old crone in that obscure village so now you don't know the secret word?  YOU'RE SCREWED!

(ok, but yeah, Titanfall looks pretty cool.)

steelbot

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 15, 2014, 10:14:16 PM
Titanfall reminds me very much of the role playing game company FASA (based in Seattle by chance) and their games Battletech (giant robot combat) and Mechwarrior (the associated RPG for pilots/characters).
Actually are you sure about FASA and being based in Seattle? I only ask because I know FASA Corp/Studios had an office in Chicago damn near right across the street from a Dave n Busters that I used to play Mechwarrior 2 and 4 at, they had Tesla pods set up.  But yes the game is similar in much the same way any mech game is similar to the original franchise that spawned the genre.  I too, played many a game of battletech and read a lot of the books about the universe, and have been a fan since the mid 90's when my 3dfx card came with a copy of Mech 2.  The mechs are not as big in this game as those in MW universe, and do not have jump jets, you can only dash or double dash in multiple directions, plus a sprint. 

There are pilot only modes too yes, capture the flag mode, last titan standing is my fav just because it's similar to MW games, and they have a mode called attrition, basically battlefront like ticket system.  They also have some developmental stuff in the works and some things to fix, but it's a solid title.  NO Singleplayer, it's online only. 

steelbot

Quote from: zeebo on March 15, 2014, 11:29:43 PM
Jeez these newbie games, so easy.  I'm playing Ultima IV, that's friggin ULTIMA IV, newbies!  So friggin hard and complicated and crazy keystrokes required.  Modern gamers can't deal with such madness. 

What, you didn't bring enough health elixir down to level eight of the dungeon?  YOU'RE SCREWED.

What, sea monsters nailed your ship even though you just spent hours getting across the sea?  YOU'RE SCREWED.

What, you got to that remote part of the forest, to find the fabled chalice, but you're an idiot and neglected to first talk to the old crone in that obscure village so now you don't know the secret word?  YOU'RE SCREWED!

(ok, but yeah, Titanfall looks pretty cool.)
Well as an Ultima Alum and UO Day 1 player lol you can indeed count me in on bringing enough herbal remedies to that dungeon with my elixir's lol, but it is cool, some people like playing older games.  I do too, but also enjoy some newer ones every few years.

Quote from: steelbot on March 16, 2014, 02:47:42 AM
Actually are you sure about FASA and being based in Seattle? I only ask because I know FASA Corp/Studios had an office in Chicago damn near right across the street from a Dave n Busters that I used to play Mechwarrior 2 and 4 at, they had Tesla pods set up. 

You are correct. WizKids (based in Seattle) owned them for a few years so that is where I got the mixup.

Quote from: steelbot on March 16, 2014, 02:47:42 AM
and do not have jump jets, you can only dash or double dash in multiple directions, plus a sprint. 
Death from Above with the Wasp. That was a flawed game but still fun. I even remember Aerotech.

zeebo

Quote from: steelbot on March 16, 2014, 02:49:25 AM
Well as an Ultima Alum and UO Day 1 player lol you can indeed count me in on bringing enough herbal remedies to that dungeon with my elixir's lol, but it is cool, some people like playing older games.  I do too, but also enjoy some newer ones every few years.

Haha yep I definitely respect your elixir knoweldge steelbot and please excuse last night's mini-rant as just a semi-drunken nostalgic reverie on my part.  There are alot of great games in the modern age and I'm definitely not a old-school zealot, but there does seem to be sometimes a tendency for modern developers to rely too heavily on wow-factor graphics at the expense of game design etc.

On the other hand older games often had awful controls/interfaces which made them hard enough to play back then and nearly impossible to play now unless you're really patient (which unfortunately I doubt I am enough to grind through Ultima even though there is an awesome game in there somewhere.) 

Actually I wish there were more modern recreations of the older games like the Zelda's and Final Fantasy's etc., keeping the richness of the game but with full-blown modern graphics and better controls.