• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

“What the hell is a bitcoin?”

Started by Kate the Bionic Uterus, December 20, 2013, 11:35:32 PM

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 24, 2017, 03:19:31 AM
I'm still bullish on reverse mortgage companies. I had a P.I. look into it for me. ;)

Not me.  I planted a dozen tulips last fall and plan on a bumper crop this year.  Early retirement, here I come!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on December 24, 2017, 03:23:35 AM
Not me.  I planted a dozen tulips last fall and plan on a bumper crop this year.  Early retirement, here I come!

Gravy! No one's ever gone wrong with tulips...I don't think. ??? :D

Rix Gins

Quote from: WOTR on December 24, 2017, 03:23:35 AM

WOTR, you forgot to post this link: http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/08/investing/bitcoin-tulip-mania-bubbles-burst/index.html

Lord Grantham

http://www.clickhole.com/article/cryptocurrency-crash-value-bitcoin-has-cratered-af-7218

QuoteFor people hoping that Bitcoin can make a comeback, the prospects are grim. Economists say that state quarters have several advantages over digital currencies that ensure their long-term domination:

A finite amount of state quarters was created, which ensures that the supply of state quarters will remain limited and in demand. Meanwhile, useless cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin will continue to be produced, thus ensuring that their value will continue to plummet.

State quarters can easily be transferred to anyone in the world simply by putting them in an envelope and mailing the state quarters to them for a low and reasonable postage fee. Experts believe this could lead state quarters to become the primary currency used for all business transactions worldwide. Bitcoin, on the other hand, can only be traded digitally, thus making them useless.

State quarters each display a nice picture showing things from one of the 50 U.S. states like a buffalo, a guitar, Mt. Rushmore, and a peach. Meanwhile, Bitcoin is just numbers.

albrecht

Are these folks C2C listeners? Blaming the moon, even?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-17/bitcoin-watchers-running-out-of-explanations-blame-slump-on-moon
Well, in a way, some some tidal or paranormal moon source but due to behavior, superstitions regarding the Chinese New Year and regulatory fears.

Gd5150

Quote from: Lord Grantham on January 17, 2018, 02:25:21 PM
http://www.clickhole.com/article/cryptocurrency-crash-value-bitcoin-has-cratered-af-7218

Gee who saw this coming? Oh that’s right, I did. And idiots like Lord dumbass kept pushing this pyramid. Now they’ll whine for crypto neutrality and more regulations like they always do when their stupidity catches up to them. Now Lord, put down your keyboard before you embarrass yourself any further.

Catsmile

Quote from: Lord Grantham on January 17, 2018, 02:25:21 PM
Quote from: Gd5150 on January 17, 2018, 05:39:55 PM
Gee who saw this coming? Oh that’s right, I did. And idiots like Lord dumbass kept pushing this pyramid. Now they’ll whine for crypto neutrality and more regulations like they always do when their stupidity catches up to them. Now Lord, put down your keyboard before you embarrass yourself any further.

Oh the LULZ!!1 ZOINK!

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Gd5150 on January 17, 2018, 05:39:55 PM

Oh boy, you sure burned my ass. I don't think I'll ever recover. Just look at all these times I was cheer leading for cryptocurriencies.
Quote from: Lord Grantham on July 15, 2017, 03:10:14 PM
And within a week it's down to $2000. Talk about a risky, speculative, investment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Quote from: Lord Grantham on November 21, 2017, 08:21:05 AM
I bailed out today. $8,000 for BTC is insane. After doing some reading into the South Seas Company of the 1600's and the mania for stock offerings in that era it's just too damn similar to what's happening now.

It's too bad I didn't have more liquid assets at the time (I was gearing up to buy a house so emptying my savings wasn't an option). I could have made bank (even though it would have been a risky af move)

In that post you so cleverly poorly copy / pasted into Paint I was calling you out for calling cryptocurriency a "left winger" thing. The typical hard core crypto enthusiast tend to be libertarians who want to disrupt the existing banking system.

Go ahead and put your keyboard straight up your ass before you embarrass yourself any further.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Lord Grantham on January 18, 2018, 07:34:39 AM
Oh boy, you sure burned my ass. I don't think I'll ever recover. Just look at all these times I was cheer leading for cryptocurriencies.
In that post you so cleverly poorly copy / pasted into Paint I was calling you out for calling cryptocurriency a "left winger" thing. The typical hard core crypto enthusiast tend to be libertarians who want to disrupt the existing banking system.

Go ahead and put your keyboard straight up your ass before you embarrass yourself any further.

So, how much did you lose? ???

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 18, 2018, 10:29:36 AM
So, how much did you lose? ???

Quote from: Lord Grantham on July 24, 2017, 06:42:07 AM
I finally bought in last week when it was in the 2100 range

Quote from: Lord Grantham on November 21, 2017, 08:21:05 AM
I bailed out today. $8,000 for BTC is insane.

I only lost by not holding for another couple of months.

Robert

Quote from: Kate the Bionic Uterus on February 25, 2014, 03:35:19 PMStop trying to belittle me as a woman you filthy pig. All it does is reveal your own masculine insecurity issues. Just another example of your deficient personality.
You mean, in the sack?

WOTR

Quote from: Gd5150 on January 03, 2018, 12:24:13 PM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-02/criminal-underworld-is-dropping-bitcoin-for-another-currency

damn, am I good. Vertcoin has no features that set it apart or make it interesting... So I converted what i had  of it to the coin that I  considered interesting and innovative a month back  (don't worry- I'm  still well diversified in sinking crypto currencies.)  Also, my old  cards are still able to hash Monero at a profit... So that is what the old computer is doing now.

It makes sense to demand Monero for ransomware... But I had not really considered that aspect. i'm still not sold that there is a way to  trust a coin without a real public ledger- but the idea is interesting...

WOTR

Quote from: Lord Grantham on January 18, 2018, 07:34:39 AM
it's funny... People who quote Milton freiman and Ayn Rand seem to completely miss that there is the ability to sink the system that the left uses of debt to keep us enslaved.  It makes me wonder how many of these people who claim that they want to "shake up the system" are actually hypocrites wanting the present system to continue for their comfort...

Before the  usual suspects  at BG  attack me for using  Rand's name in vain (what would a commie Canadian know about libertarianism and Rand?) they probably need to understand what cryptocurrency is...

so, what does jennifer Grossman, Ceo of the Atlas society think of bitcoin?  she likes the idea, but is concerned that there can still be a new "better" technology come along.  Just the same, she concludes the interview with " (the governments and the fed) have been running their status quo system for decades. And it gets even worse for everyone. Then some private sector programmers invent a new thing that is helping to bring liberty to the world. Only then does government say; let us regulate it.

Interesting that the posters on  BG  who scream the loudest claiming to be the defenders of liberty are the same  ones who in this thread attack what could be an instrument of liberty. Is it because they are armchair hypocrates, because they are ignorant of crypto, or because they only value liberty if it is comfortable and familiar? (WOTR shruggs.)

http://insidebitcoins.com/news/ayn-rand-and-bitcoin-exclusive-interview-with-jennifer-grossman-atlas-society-ceo/63282

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on January 22, 2018, 01:16:05 AM
it's funny... People who quote Milton freiman and Ayn Rand seem to completely miss that there is the ability to sink the system that the left uses of debt to keep us enslaved.  It makes me wonder how many of these people who claim that they want to "shake up the system" are actually hypocrites wanting the present system to continue for their comfort...

Before the  usual suspects  at BG  attack me for using  Rand's name in vain (what would a commie Canadian know about libertarianism and Rand?) they probably need to understand what cryptocurrency is...

so, what does jennifer Grossman, Ceo of the Atlas society think of bitcoin?  she likes the idea, but is concerned that there can still be a new "better" technology come along.  Just the same, she concludes the interview with " (the governments and the fed) have been running their status quo system for decades. And it gets even worse for everyone. Then some private sector programmers invent a new thing that is helping to bring liberty to the world. Only then does government say; let us regulate it.

Interesting that the posters on  BG  who scream the loudest claiming to be the defenders of liberty are the same  ones who in this thread attack what could be an instrument of liberty. Is it because they are armchair hypocrates, because they are ignorant of crypto, or because they only value liberty if it is comfortable and familiar? (WOTR shruggs.)

http://insidebitcoins.com/news/ayn-rand-and-bitcoin-exclusive-interview-with-jennifer-grossman-atlas-society-ceo/63282

How much did you lose? ???

WOTR

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 22, 2018, 02:17:02 AM
How much did you lose? ???
the joy of it is... Not a single cent.  I "mined" everything that I have, and paid for some graphics cards and electricity.  Even "back when", they were not purchased to turn a profit- they were completely disposable and they were only purchased because I liked the idea of disrupting the debt based monetary system.It was the early days before the government seized and sold the bitcoin from he silk road- before the hedge funds bought in. When it was still an idea that was not perverted.  Now I'm seeing ICO's following "know your customer" laws and registering with securities commissions (hence the interest in Monero.)

As to how much I "lost" in the recent slide... Lots.  8)

***Makes me wonder if I ought to sell and invest in some mining equipment and pay off debt.  Holding crypto is not the part that is "disruptive"... Mining it- supporting it is.  Just the same, I think I'm going to ride it right back down to the $5 level.  :)

WOTR

Quote from: Jackstar on January 22, 2018, 01:20:46 PM
What are you waiting for? Christmas?
Mortgage forgiveness?  Hyperinflation? Post-apocalyptic monetary policy?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: WOTR on January 22, 2018, 10:40:39 PM

You should look into reverse mortgage forgiveness.

albrecht

I forget my Bible-code? When is the next Jubilee?
ps: as I've mentioned before I still don't "get" how a blockchain, supposedly public and records all transactions is going to be anonymous and break the system? Cash (and rarer bearer bonds) or fungible commodities diamonds, gold, etc seem a safer bet to be transactionally secure (but with high risk if lost/stolen and problems with large amounts converting/using.)

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on January 22, 2018, 11:02:19 PM
Cash (and rarer bearer bonds) or fungible commodities diamonds, gold, etc seem a safer bet to be transactionally secure

They do? I see it the other way.

These are all bullshit fairy tales, designed to keep serfs in perpetual bondage. If you can, do it now.

Jackstar

QuoteThe supercomputer was not supposed to be connected to the internet - to prevent intrusion - and once the scientists attempted to do so, the nuclear centre's security department was alerted.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43003740

Scientists cannot be trusted.

Up All Night

Doesn't every financial system require suckers to be invested?

You're all preying on suckers...

I don't lose any sleep over it..

Gd5150

Quote from: Up All Night on February 12, 2018, 05:45:10 AM

You're all preying on suckers...

I don't lose any sleep over it..

Free country. If you want to own a piece of a company you can. You can buy it’s stock, watch what the company is doing, earn a piece of their profits via dividends or increased value in stock. Sell it when you choose.

What does one own when they invest in bitcoin? Nothing. It’s a pyramid. Nothing more. And worse, it’s competing with the federal reserve. So it’s an inevitable loser.

Jackstar

Quote from: Up All Night on February 12, 2018, 05:45:10 AM

The ongoing eternal struggle of capitalism vs communism is a bald-faced lie. There are myriad methods available to distribute resources to the populace. The present dominance of the paradigm of slavery is wholly artificial.

DOTR can't come soon enough.

Jackstar

Quote from: Gd5150 on February 12, 2018, 10:31:39 AM
What does one own when they invest in bitcoin? Nothing.

How do you buy or sell the sky? The ways of the white man are strange to us.