• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

IT'S GONNA BE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY COLD WHERE I LIVE!

Started by starrmtn001, December 01, 2013, 05:18:25 PM

yumyumtree

Quote from: onan on December 02, 2013, 04:36:16 PM
I was thinking that today. I remember winters where we would get an "Indian Summer" and it would get up to 33 above and we would all be outside with no coats. good times.

I remember those "cold snaps". The inside of your nose freezes and clothes freeze before you finish pinning them on the line. And those wind chills are awful. I think the worst one recorded was -70 F. The coldest actual temperature was -44F in Lincoln but I don't know when. The coldest place I lived was Bozeman MT, also the highest altitude place I lived. Now I live on the coast, where we don't get those kind of cold snaps.

onan

Quote from: yumyumtree on December 04, 2013, 12:23:29 AM
Me, too. But Western. Flathead Lake Area.

I haven't lived in Montana since the late 70's. I do miss the summers and the ability to be completely alone with a 10 minute drive.

pepsiguy

Quote from: yumyumtree on December 04, 2013, 12:36:12 AM
I remember those "cold snaps". The inside of your nose freezes and clothes freeze before you finish pinning them on the line. And those wind chills are awful. I think the worst one recorded was -70 F. The coldest actual temperature was -44F in Lincoln but I don't know when. The coldest place I lived was Bozeman MT, also the highest altitude place I lived. Now I live on the coast, where we don't get those kind of cold snaps.
The coast of Montana? Man! I'm all confused

Falkie2013

Quote from: jazmunda on December 03, 2013, 05:10:28 PM
In a few weeks this will be me:

just saying ....

#southernhemispherechristmas

Curse you Jazmunda !
;)

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/94553:4?zoom=6&interactiveMapLayer=temp

Local Weather Alert
Freeze Warning for East Bay Interior Valleys, CA
From 9:00 PM PST, Wed., Dec 04, 2013 until 9:00 AM PST, Fri., Dec 06, 2013
Other affected areas:
…
Coastal North Bay Including Point Reyes National Seashore, CA;  San Francisco Bay Shoreline, CA;  San Fransisco Peninsula Coast, CA;  East Bay Interior Valleys, CA;  East Bay Hills and the Diablo Range, CA;  Santa Cruz Mountains, CA;  Santa Clara Valley Including San Jose, CA;  Santa Lucia Mountains and Los Padres National Forest, CA;  Mountains Of San Benito County And Interior Monterey County Including Pinnacles National Monument, CA;  Northern Salinas Valley/Hollister Valley and Carmel Valley, CA;  Northern Monterey Bay, CA;  Southern Monterey Bay and Big Sur Coast, CA

Issued by The National Weather Service
San Francisco/Monterey, CA
Wed, Dec 4, 2013, 1:19 PM PST

Updated Dec 4, 2013, 2:25pm PST

... FREEZE WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM PST FRIDAY...

THE FREEZE WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM PST FRIDAY.

* TEMPERATURES: 30 TO 35 ALONG THE COAST... LOW 20S TO AROUND 30 INLAND.

* TIMING: LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING... AND AGAIN LATE THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS: THE ENTIRE SAN FRANCISCO AND MONTEREY BAY REGION EXCEPT FOR THE CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO.

* IMPACTS: LONG DURATIONS OF BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES CAN KILL CROPS AND SENSITIVE VEGETATION... HARM PETS AND LIVESTOCK AND COULD CAUSE UNPROTECTED WATER PIPES TO BURST. THERE WILL ALSO BE AN INCREASED RISK OF HYPOTHERMIA FOR THOSE LIVING OUTSIDE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

... FREEZING TEMPERATURES POSSIBLE AGAIN THURSDAY AND FRIDAY MORNINGS...

.A VERY COLD AIR MASS WILL PERSIST OVER THE REGION THROUGH THE REST OF THE WEEK. COLD TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED AREA WIDE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY... ESPECIALLY IN THE VALLEYS AND HILLS. THE CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO WILL GENERALLY SEE OVERNIGHT TEMPERATURES NEAR 40 DEGREES THROUGH THE DURATION OF THIS COLD SNAP.

Sacramento, a mere 60 miles away will see temps of 20 tonight with possible snow in the lower elevations.

starrmtn001

Just shot these pics about an hour ago.  We had a high of 15 degrees today.  We're at 13 degrees right now.  We'll probably see single digits tonight . . . maybe sub-zero if the wind picks up.

coaster

Weather channel says it feels like 2 degrees here right now. Its that wind chill that gets you.

HaveAccess

I work in the oil industry....

With windchill included it will probably get down to -35C / -31 F

Will be working outside all day...

Edmonton, Alberta , Canada

steelbot

Quote from: HaveAccess on December 04, 2013, 08:08:57 PM

yeah

jazmunda

Quote from: coaster on December 04, 2013, 07:10:06 PM
Weather channel says it feels like 2 degrees here right now. Its that wind chill that gets you.

The app I use for weather always says it's x degrees but it feels like y degrees. Why not just say it's y degrees because that's what I'm basing my clothing choices on?

aldousburbank

Quote from: jazmunda on December 04, 2013, 09:23:43 PM
The app I use for weather always says it's x degrees but it feels like y degrees. Why not just say it's y degrees because that's what I'm basing my clothing choices on?
Wait so, you check the weather to decide whether to wear men or women's clothing?

jazmunda

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 04, 2013, 09:28:14 PM
Wait so, you check the weather to decide whether to wear men or women's clothing?

Well I'm not going to wear a brassiere if it's really hot.  :-*

Quote from: HaveAccess on December 04, 2013, 08:08:57 PM

At least you aren't in Fort McMurray. 

Falkie2013

I know that in WWII the oil in the tanks of the Wehrmacht froze at -31 in Russia. The Russians figured out a way to get their tanks to work.

I don't know how you work when its -31. I admire the hell out of you.

Nearby Sacramento is going to be in the 20s tonight. They've opened up warming centers with snow levels in the hills down to 500 feet.

Jnthn932

Quote from: starrmtn001 on December 04, 2013, 06:04:24 PM
Just shot these pics about an hour ago.  We had a high of 15 degrees today.  We're at 13 degrees right now.  We'll probably see single digits tonight . . . maybe sub-zero if the wind picks up.
Nice piece of property you got there. 72 degrees here. I envy you.

starrmtn001

Quote from: jazmunda on December 04, 2013, 09:30:03 PM
Me neither!  In fact, little if anything else if it gets too hot. ;D

starrmtn001

Last night's low was -3 degrees. Today at 3:25 pm, it is 11 degrees.

steelbot

-6 with -30 windchill last night up northern plains states.  Lots of drifting snow and still 20-30mph winds. 

coaster

The temp is 1 degree right now with a windchill of -17. Its cold.

yumyumtree

Quote from: onan on December 04, 2013, 04:41:18 AM
I haven't lived in Montana since the late 70's. I do miss the summers and the ability to be completely alone with a 10 minute drive.

Yes, I miss the privacy too sometimes. But eastern WA is similar.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: jazmunda on December 04, 2013, 09:30:03 PM

Agreed; much better to wear one that won't get the other guy's turned on..wear one less provocative.

Up All Night

For those stuck inside, due to the damning wind chill, or snow, or both...

Here's some heavy trippy music to pass the time with...

Led Zeppelin ~ No Quarter ~ Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFZy4ot2O2g

Juan

I’ve had to add a long sleeved shirt to wearing long britches.

ksm32

-34 C. yesterday. My beer actually froze while I was drinking it. (outside shoveling the walkway)

starrmtn001

Quote from: ksm32 on December 28, 2017, 01:26:34 PM
-34 C. yesterday. My beer actually froze while I was drinking it. (outside shoveling the walkway)
Yes.  Look for fun and exciting weather patterns this year. ;)

=Schlyder=

It is presently -27c here.   That's -17F   It was -42c (-40F)  with windchill the other night.

ksm32

Quote from: Conspiracy Therapist on December 28, 2017, 01:49:34 PM
Yes.  Look for fun and exciting weather patterns this year. ;)

Yes indeed.

The beer in question was this and you'll notice the ice crystals well underway in this lighter Italian broth, Peroni. A more substantial substance would have retained it's properties a little longer.