• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

IT'S GONNA BE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY COLD WHERE I LIVE!

Started by starrmtn001, December 01, 2013, 05:18:25 PM

starrmtn001

Special Weather Statement http://forecast.weather.gov/showsig...oduct1=Special Weather Statement#.Upu62eKHiZA

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND JUNCTION CO
    438 AM MST SUN DEC 1 2013

SNOWY AND COLD CONDITIONS EXPECTED FOR THE NEW WEEK...

AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL BRING BIG CHANGES TO THE WEATHER
    STARTING TUESDAY.

STRONG SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY AS
    THE COLD FRONT APPROACHES FROM THE NORTHWEST. VALLEY SHOWERS MAY
    INITIALLY START AS RAIN BUT WILL QUICKLY TRANSITION TO SNOW AT ALL
    ELEVATIONS BY TUESDAY NIGHT. SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE
    THROUGH WEDNESDAY FOR ALL THE MOUNTAINS OF EASTERN UTAH AND
    WESTERN COLORADO. THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VALLEYS MAY ALSO SEE
    SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS. SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS COULD CONTINUE
    INTO THE WEEKEND.

FRIGID AIR WILL POUR IN BEHIND THE FRONT. AFTERNOON HIGHS
    MAY NOT BREAK THE FREEZING MARK FROM THURSDAY INTO THE WEEKEND.
    MORNING LOWS COULD BE WELL BELOW ZERO IN THE MOUNTAINS AND
    NORTHERN VALLEYS.

WHILE CONFIDENCE IS INCREASING CONCERNING THE LARGER SCALE
    FEATURES...THERE CONTINUES TO BE SOME UNCERTAINTY ABOUT THE
    DETAILS AND THE DURATION OF THIS COMPLICATED STORM. EXPECT
    HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS BEGINNING MONDAY NIGHT OR TUESDAY. TO
    GET THE LATEST FORECASTS AND INFORMATION ON THIS DEVELOPING STORM
    LOG ONTO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/GJT OR MONITOR NOAA WEATHER RADIO.

jazmunda

It's really, really, really really, really hot where I live today so balance will be restored.

starrmtn001

Quote from: jazmunda on December 01, 2013, 05:26:01 PM
It's really, really, really really, really hot where I live today so balance will be restored.
Thanks for that jaz.  I was beginning to feel a little "tilty" (not to be confused with, but similar to tipsy). ;D

BobGrau

Meanwhile in north-east Scotland I have a ripe strawberry in my garden.  ::)

...don't think I'll chance eating it though.

starrmtn001

It's going on 3:00 PM.  Temperature is 29 degrees.  Won't be long before 29 actually feels warm.

onan

Quote from: starrmtn001 on December 02, 2013, 03:43:44 PM
It's going on 3:00 PM.  Temperature is 29 degrees.  Won't be long before 29 actually feels warm.

I was thinking that today. I remember winters where we would get an "Indian Summer" and it would get up to 33 above and we would all be outside with no coats. good times.

Quote from: onan on December 02, 2013, 04:36:16 PM
I was thinking that today. I remember winters where we would get an "Indian Summer" and it would get up to 33 above and we would all be outside with no coats. good times.

You are originally from Colorado, too? So I guess that makes at least 3 of us CO people here: me, starrmtn001, and you.

onan

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 02, 2013, 05:30:21 PM
You are originally from Colorado, too? So I guess that makes at least 3 of us CO people here: me, starrmtn001, and you.
Actually Montana

Falkie2013

Quote from: starrmtn001 on December 02, 2013, 03:43:44 PM

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
915 PM PST MON DEC 2 2013

...FREEZE WATCHES IN EFFECT TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY
MORNING FOR MOST OF THE BAY AREA...

.A MAINLY DRY COLD FRONT WILL PASS OVER THE BAY AREA BY TUESDAY
MORNING WITH THE COLDEST AIR SO FAR THIS SEASON FILTERING IN
BEHIND THE FRONT. THE STAGE WILL BE SET FOR FREEZING TEMPERATURES
AS EARLY AS TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING THE EXCEPTION
WILL BE THE CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO WHERE TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST
TO STAY CLOSER TO 40 DEGREES DURING THE NIGHT-TIME HOURS.

CAZ506-507-031315-
/O.CON.KMTR.FZ.A.0002.131204T1000Z-131205T1700Z/
NORTH BAY INTERIOR VALLEYS-NORTH BAY MOUNTAINS-
915 PM PST MON DEC 2 2013

...FREEZE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING...

A FREEZE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING.

* TIMING: LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING AND THEN
   AGAIN WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS: THE NORTH BAY VALLEYS AND MOUNTAINS.

* IMPACTS: LONG DURATIONS OF BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES CAN
   KILL CROPS AND SENSITIVE VEGETATION...HARM PETS AND LIVESTOCK
   AND COULD CAUSE UNPROTECTED WATER PIPES TO BURST. THERE WILL
   ALSO BE AN INCREASED RISK OF HYPOTHERMIA FOR THOSE LIVING
   OUTSIDE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WATCH MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE POSSIBLE.
THESE CONDITIONS COULD KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

Time to cover my potted plant with a big bag and sheet. It doesn't like freezing temps.
Now to go out and feed my kitties.

Brrr !!!

The guys in Montana and Colorado must be really cold.
Hope they got a fireplace or a big heater.

Up to 18 inches of snow in some parts of the midwest.

video in this link.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-cleon-forecast-20131201

Meanwhile, here in Martinez-not-my-name-Art California ...

Today
Dec 3
57°F
34°F
AM Clouds / PM Sun
CHANCE OF RAIN:
0%

WIND:
NW at 13 mph
Details
Wed

Dec 4
52°
28°
Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:
0%

WIND:
N at 7 mph
Details

Thu
Dec 5
50°
30°
Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:
0%

WIND:
N at 5 mph
Details

Fri
Dec 6
51°
35°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:
10%

WIND:
SW at 9 mph
Details

Sat
Dec 7
47°
30°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:
20%

WIND:
NNW at 8 mph
Details

Sun
Dec 8
48°
36°
Mostly Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:
10%

WIND:
ESE at 5 mph
Details

Mon
Dec 9
51°
37°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:
10%

WIND:
SE at 6 mph
Details

Tue
Dec 10
52°
33°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:
10%

WIND:
SSE at 7 mph
Details

Wed
Dec 11
52°
35°
Mostly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:
0%

WIND:
N at 6 mph
Details
Wed
Dec 11
56°F
Average High
36°F
Average Low
67°F
Record High
25°F
Record Low

We don't usually have it get this cold in the SF Bay Area. This morning I got a frost warning from the National Weather Service on my phone for my town.

I remember a call one night from a rancher in Montana. He called KGO and the talk show host asked ( in January ) :

" So what's the weather like there right now ? "

Caller " Well, i got to go out and take care of my dairy cows. Right now its -35 with a wind chill factor of -50 with high winds. "

Recently some talk show got a call from a guy up there who said we USED to get regular -30 days and we don't see that much any more in Montana.

onan

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 03, 2013, 04:41:56 AM
Seasons eventually get to winter and it's cold--shock.

You Brits wouldn't know cold if it snapped your fingers off. Oh sure, you get some snow... But not a man among you can handle a snowmobile. That's right, I am challenging you to a winter war... bring it, you limey bastard.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on December 03, 2013, 04:58:37 AM
You Brits wouldn't know cold if it snapped your fingers off. Oh sure, you get some snow... But not a man among you can handle a snowmobile. That's right, I am challenging you to a winter war... bring it, you limey bastard.

He he... Tell that to the Clans in the Cairngorms. We get some pretty bad weather near here if we get a bad winter. But that's what happens..snow melts in spring, leaves drop in the autumn, women take their clothes off in summer and winter is cold.. I think two years ago we had minus 23C degrees in parts, I know we had a prolonged spell here that lasted over two weeks and it never got above minus 10 C. Which considering it's a built up town and not in the wilds is pretty crap.

onan

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 03, 2013, 05:06:02 AM
He he... Tell that to the Clans in the Cairngorms. We get some pretty bad weather near here if we get a bad winter. But that's what happens..snow melts in spring, leaves drop in the autumn, women take their clothes off in summer and winter is cold.. I think two years ago we had minus 23C degrees in parts, I know we had a prolonged spell here that lasted over two weeks and it never got above minus 10 C. Which considering it's a built up town and not in the wilds is pretty crap.

I remember a winter in 72 where it didn't get above -50 degrees Fahrenheit which is -45 celsius for 5 days. In 78 my wife and I were traveling through Iowa and got stranded in a bad snow storm we got a hotel room. The next morning with wind chill it was 100 below zero. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on December 03, 2013, 05:13:07 AM
I remember a winter in 72 where it didn't get above -50 degrees Fahrenheit which is -45 celsius for 5 days. In 78 my wife and I were traveling through Iowa and got stranded in a bad snow storm we got a hotel room. The next morning with wind chill it was 100 below zero.

We're quite lucky really, because if it wasn't for the gulf steam we'd have a climate (north of where I live) similar to Norway. Plus being an island we have quite active weather fronts. Usually...which is why it was unusual to have prolonged very cold spells, that was due to a weather mass that absolutely refused to budge. But word has it, Alex Jones simply farted and it went away, I don't know, but that's what I was told.

BobGrau

Quote from: onan on December 03, 2013, 04:58:37 AM

Humourously cantankerous southern pansies ( :D ) aside, you're right enough. Being surrounded by ocean means our weather is miserable as hell but never seriously cold like you get on continents. The problem here is more lack of infrastructure - everything grinds to a halt with the slightest snowfall, or indeed heatwave. A land of mystery indeed.

BobGrau

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 03, 2013, 05:06:02 AM
He he... Tell that to the Clans in the Cairngorms. We get some pretty bad weather near here if we get a bad winter. But that's what happens..snow melts in spring, leaves drop in the autumn, women take their clothes off in summer  and winter is cold.. I think two years ago we had minus 23C degrees in parts, I know we had a prolonged spell here that lasted over two weeks and it never got above minus 10 C. Which considering it's a built up town and not in the wilds is pretty crap.

God bless the Laws Of Physics.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: BobGrau on December 03, 2013, 05:21:40 AM
Humourously cantankerous southern pansies ( :D ) aside, you're right enough. Being surrounded by ocean means our weather is miserable as hell but never seriously cold like you get on continents. The problem here is more lack of infrastructure - everything grinds to a halt with the slightest snowfall, or indeed heatwave. A land of mystery indeed.

I thought it was just the UK that couldn't drive in snow...I have a life long friend who lives with her family in Austria and I mentioned it; she told me that the Austrians who get considerably more snow and ice than the UK are terrible drivers, all the time! They're just even worse on snow.

Juan

Here in Florida, I've had to put on a pair of long britches.

onan

Quote from: Juan on December 03, 2013, 06:10:40 AM
Here in Florida, I've had to put on a pair of long britches.

You must be suffering... hold on man... better weather is coming.

starrmtn001

Full Report: http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=COZ017&warncounty=COC091&firewxzone=COZ292&local_place1=&product1=Winter+Storm+Warning#.Up5g8-KHiZA

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
352 PM MST TUE DEC 3 2013

...WINTER STORM TO IMPACT THE REGION THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

.THE STRONG COLD FRONT WAS STRETCHED OVER NORTHEAST UTAH AND
NORTHWEST COLORADO THIS AFTERNOON AND WILL PUNCH INTO THE
INTERSTATE 70 CORRIDOR TOWARDS MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.
THE VALLEYS COULD SEE UP TO A FOOT OF
SNOW . . . IN ADDITION...TEMPERATURES
ARE EXPECTED TO DROP 20 DEGREES OR MORE BY THURSDAY AND STAY WELL
BELOW NORMAL THROUGH THE WEEKEND. STRONG WINDS AHEAD OF THE FRONT
MAY SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE VISIBILITY FOR TRAVELERS PASSING OVER
MOUNTAIN PASSES THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...8 TO 14 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER
  AMOUNTS. THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL OVER THE LA SAL
  MOUNTAINS...AND THE NORTHERN UNCOMPAHGRE PLATEAU.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST TO WEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH IS
  EXPECTED AT EXPOSED LOCATIONS BECOMING NORTHWEST AND
  DIMINISHING WEDNESDAY MORNING.

Just sayin' . . . .

steelbot

Quote from: starrmtn001 on December 03, 2013, 05:00:15 PM
Full Report: http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=COZ017&warncounty=COC091&firewxzone=COZ292&local_place1=&product1=Winter+Storm+Warning#.Up5g8-KHiZA

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
352 PM MST TUE DEC 3 2013

...WINTER STORM TO IMPACT THE REGION THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

.THE STRONG COLD FRONT WAS STRETCHED OVER NORTHEAST UTAH AND
NORTHWEST COLORADO THIS AFTERNOON AND WILL PUNCH INTO THE
INTERSTATE 70 CORRIDOR TOWARDS MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.
THE VALLEYS COULD SEE UP TO A FOOT OF
SNOW . . . IN ADDITION...TEMPERATURES
ARE EXPECTED TO DROP 20 DEGREES OR MORE BY THURSDAY AND STAY WELL
BELOW NORMAL THROUGH THE WEEKEND. STRONG WINDS AHEAD OF THE FRONT
MAY SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE VISIBILITY FOR TRAVELERS PASSING OVER
MOUNTAIN PASSES THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...8 TO 14 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER
  AMOUNTS. THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL OVER THE LA SAL
  MOUNTAINS...AND THE NORTHERN UNCOMPAHGRE PLATEAU.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST TO WEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH IS
  EXPECTED AT EXPOSED LOCATIONS BECOMING NORTHWEST AND
  DIMINISHING WEDNESDAY MORNING.

Just sayin' . . . .
http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/USND0146?phenomena=WS&significance=W&areaid=NDZ027&office=KFGF&etn=0013
.. WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST THURSDAY...
A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST THURSDAY.
* TIMING... SNOW WILL BECOME STEADIER ACROSS THE AREA TONIGHT AND WILL LAST INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT.
* WINDS... NORTH WINDS AT 20 TO 30 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS WILL OCCUR ACROSS THE DEVILS LAKE REGION TONIGHT. THESE GUSTY WINDS WILL SPREAD INTO THE RED RIVER VALLEY ON WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. ALONG WITH THE FALLING SNOW THIS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IN OPEN AREAS.
* VISIBILITIES... REDUCED TO LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... MOST AREAS WILL SEE TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 8 INCHES... WITH LOCALIZED HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. THE HEAVIER SNOW AMOUNTS SHOULD OCCUR AROUND THE BEMIDJI AREA.
* OTHER IMPACTS... SOME LIGHT FREEZING DRIZZLE IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE BEMIDJI... PARK RAPIDS AND WADENA AREAS LATE THIS AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL VALUES WILL ALSO FALL TO 15 BELOW TO 30 BELOW ZERO BY WEDNESDAY NIGHT... WITH DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS CONTINUING THROUGH LATE WEEK.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.
&&
More Information
... STEADIER SNOW WILL PICK UP TONIGHT...
.SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD INTO THE AREA TONIGHT AND WILL LAST THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. GUSTY NORTH WINDS FROM LANGDON TO DEVILS LAKE TO COOPERSTOWN MAY ALSO PRODUCE A LITTLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IN THESE AREAS TONIGHT. THE LOWEST VISIBILITIES WILL OCCUR AS THE STEADIER SNOW ARRIVES. THESE GUSTY WINDS WILL PUSH INTO THE RED RIVER VALLEY ON WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. ALONG WITH FALLING SNOW THIS WILL RESULT IN LOWER VISIBILITIES ALONG THE RED RIVER VALLEY INTO PORTIONS OF WEST CENTRAL MINNESOTA... ESPECIALLY IN OPEN COUNTRY. DANGEROUS WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES WILL ALSO DEVELOP BY WEDNESDAY NIGHT WITH VALUES FROM 15 BELOW TO 30 BELOW ZERO.

...just saying...is the windchill gonna be possible -15 to -30  :P

steelbot

Quote from: onan on December 03, 2013, 05:13:07 AM
Born in January of 78 here, in my Central Illinois home town, the local news station's antenna array collapsed due to the huge amounts of snow and ice from the winter storm that rolled through.  The city that is generally prepared for winter like activity was ground to a halt, several locations without power and frigid temps, while my dad and brother stayed at the hospital with my mom lol.  But yeah so I came in with a bang  ;D ;D NOT so much as my dad who shares a birthday with the exact date/time Hiroshima was nuked.  But still.

jazmunda

In a few weeks this will be me:

just saying ....

#southernhemispherechristmas

steelbot

Quote from: jazmunda on December 03, 2013, 05:10:28 PM

just saying ....

yeah yeah - well - I got nothing!
4 seasons of weather here though, so I enjoy it in the Midwest/Central US. 

starrmtn001

just saying ....

And in a few hours, THIS will be you:

starrmtn001

Quote from: steelbot on December 03, 2013, 05:02:39 PM
...just saying...is the windchill gonna be possible -15 to -30  :P
Here is a link to an online conversion table that calculates the Wind Chill Factor.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/windchill.htm

just saying ....

You are planing on painting your toe nails red?