• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

A hypothetical question. What if a President were impeached and refused to leave

Started by Falkie2013, March 16, 2013, 06:10:41 PM

Falkie2013

We've had 2 Presidents impeached, Nixon and Clinton, though they were not forced out of office by the Senate.

I am not talking about the current occupant of the White House, though there are multiple reasons why he could be impeached, but as a hypothetical question.

What do you think would happen if a future President were impeached and convicted and refused to leave the White House and said he did not recognize Congresses' authority to do so ?

Quote from: Falkie2013 on March 16, 2013, 06:10:41 PM
We've had 2 Presidents impeached, Nixon and Clinton, though they were not forced out of office by the Senate.

I am not talking about the current occupant of the White House, though there are multiple reasons why he could be impeached, but as a hypothetical question.

What do you think would happen if a future President were impeached and convicted and refused to leave the White House and said he did not recognize Congresses' authority to do so ?

He would hopefully be arrested, perhaps by the US Capital Police (they serve under the House of Reps) and dragged out.  Quite the Constitutional crisis.

It would be interesting to see what the White House security and Secret Service would do - that future President, knowing in advance he would resist, would have his security lined up. 

By the way, those are not the only Presidents to have been impeached

Tinfoil Hat

I think the only other President to be impeached was Andrew Johnson who followed Lincoln into office.

If the impeachment was legal, I think both the Secret Service and White House Security along with the Capital Police would help the former Chief Executive find the door.

Pragmier

Nixon was not impeached, rather resigned under the threat. And as stated he'd be arrested. I'm pretty sure the armed forces, if it came to that, would back the people over supporting a coup.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Pragmier on March 17, 2013, 02:55:27 AM
Nixon was not impeached, rather resigned under the threat. And as stated he'd be arrested. I'm pretty sure the armed forces, if it came to that, would back the people over supporting a coup.

OK. My memory failed me. I do know that Nixon resigned rather than face certain impeachment. It's been what, 40 years or more ? * sigh *

Funny how your memory thinks certain things and seems to tell you it's true sometimes.

Juan

Even Jack can't shoot anymore.  Friday night he emptied his piece at a priest - in the 24-days, the guy would have been dead in two shots.  As it was, Jack must not have hit him many times - the priest lived.