• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Springsteen VS Meatloaf?

Started by John Smith, November 05, 2012, 05:42:58 PM

John Smith

It's sad the disparity between artist and musicians who are liberal, and their counterparts on the right. Besides country music, conservatives contribute very little to popular culture

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: John Smith on November 05, 2012, 05:42:58 PM
It's sad the disparity between artist and musicians who are liberal, and their counterparts on the right. Besides country music, conservatives contribute very little to popular culture
I'd be proud of that fact in 2012. Popular culture these days is hardly aesthetically pleasing or edifying.

*Todd Rundgren agreed to get involved with Bat Out Of Hell, basically because he thought it was a brilliant parody of Springsteen.

McPhallus

Or maybe popular culture thinks very little of conservatives.  Think of how they've been portrayed since the 50s, usually as the straw man.

Rock music doesn't have many conservatives apart from, who, Ted Nugent?  And he's a bit of a kook.

McPhallus

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 05, 2012, 06:26:41 PM
      I'd be proud of that fact in 2012. Popular culture these days is hardly aesthetically pleasing or edifying.

*Todd Rundgren agreed to get involved with Bat Out Of Hell, basically because he thought it was a brilliant parody of Springsteen.

TR himself being pretty far to the left, especially during his mid-70s Alice Bailey-influenced days (Initiation and the earlier Utopia albums).  And that's not to mention that horrendous "No World Order" album he did in the early 90s.  Good god, that was bad.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: McPhallus on November 05, 2012, 08:00:52 PM
TR himself being pretty far to the left, especially during his mid-70s Alice Bailey-influenced days (Initiation and the earlier Utopia albums).  And that's not to mention that horrendous "No World Order" album he did in the early 90s.  Good god, that was bad.
I consider myself a fan of Rundgren, from Nazz through Utopia...but he did indeed put out a ration of really weak/substandard albums, and was one of those guys who used technology quite well in the 70's, but not so much after that decade. Like many of his peers, he really began to suck in the 80's. And "No World Order" was absolutely dreadful.

John Smith

It's just interesting that the most talented artist and musicians are on the left, there will never be the conservative equivalent of the Beatles or Bruce Springsteen in pop culture.

Sardondi

Only a liberal could be so smug about being responsible for America's popular culture, or think that they have pride of place. But as far as those "disparities" there's a pretty significant one in what you think conservatives provide this country. Such as providing virtually the entire warrior class (which includes not just the military but police and firefighters); providing the majority of those who actually work for a living instead of chatter, warble or prance; and providing the vast majority of traditional families and the social and economic stability of the country.

But I can certainly see how a liberal would consider that such a very little contribution. So you make sure you have a wonderful self-actualizing time providing all that important popular culture as you make giant wearable papier mache vaginas in the desert with your buds at the naked artist hoedown. Jackass.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: John Smith on November 05, 2012, 08:22:28 PM
It's just interesting that the most talented artist and musicians are on the left, there will never be the conservative equivalent of the Beatles or Bruce Springsteen in pop culture.

How about the low end of culture belonging to the Left. Katy Perry, Jersey Shore, Jay-Z...nice selective process there. How about people like Ray Davies, Neil Young, Jimmy Page who have veered ideologically through the years? A doctrinaire approach to entertainment choices is hardly enlightened.

ziznak

Dave Mustaine being butt buddys with Alex Jones has always been a huge let down for me.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ziznak on November 05, 2012, 09:49:47 PM
Dave Mustaine being butt buddys with Alex Jones has always been a huge let down for me.
Mustaine is a drug free born again...so I'm really, really let down by him. Buddying with Jones makes it a hat trick.

LacyWoodrow

So does this mean you're voting for Obama for lack of conservative music? I just haven't heard anyone complain about this before. But you've got a point. Republicans in the past haven't rented the Whitehouse to pop figures like the current (as of Nov 5th 2012) president does. He loves to host those celeb dinner partys quite often.

Quote from: Sardondi on November 05, 2012, 09:12:52 PM
Only a liberal could be so smug about being responsible for America's popular culture, or think that they have pride of place. But as far as those "disparities" there's a pretty significant one in what you think conservatives provide this country. Such as providing virtually the entire warrior class (which includes not just the military but police and firefighters); providing the majority of those who actually work for a living instead of chatter, warble or prance; and providing the vast majority of traditional families and the social and economic stability of the country.

But I can certainly see how a liberal would consider that such a very little contribution. So you make sure you have a wonderful self-actualizing time providing all that important popular culture as you make giant wearable papier mache vaginas in the desert with your buds at the naked artist hoedown. Jackass.
Good lord, man, unclench your sphincter for a nanosecond, would you?  If the folks in the Republican party have convinced you that being a fireman is part of pop culture, I would suggest you take down the calendar featuring oiled up fellas from the local pump station, turn off the Toby Keith cassette, and lighten up a tiny bit.  I don't think the OP was suggesting that everyday, hard working folks weren't valuable members of society.  He was just mentioning the Pretty Fucking Obvious fact that most pop culture, art, literature, etc. comes from folks of a left leaning disposition.  It's not a major revelation, or particularly confrontational.

Get a grip.

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on November 05, 2012, 10:27:47 PM
Good lord, man, unclench your sphincter for a nanosecond, would you?  If the folks in the Republican party have convinced you that being a fireman is part of pop culture, I would suggest you take down the calendar featuring oiled up fellas from the local pump station, turn off the Toby Keith cassette, and lighten up a tiny bit.  I don't think the OP was suggesting that everyday, hard working folks weren't valuable members of society.  He was just mentioning the Pretty Fucking Obvious fact that most pop culture, art, literature, etc. comes from folks of a left leaning disposition.  It's not a major revelation, or particularly confrontational.

Get a grip.

Oiled up calendar men? Fireman? Local pump station? Oh my. Let's hear it for the Y M C A!  ;)

... Pretty Fucking Obvious fact that most pop culture, art, literature, etc. comes from folks of a left leaning disposition...

Anyone have ideas on why this seems to be for the most part?  Maybe part of it is the idealism of youth?  Has it always been so?  Is it worldwide?  Cultural?  A requirement to fit into the scene?

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 05, 2012, 10:53:44 PM
Anyone have ideas on why this seems to be for the most part?  Maybe part of it is the idealism of youth?  Has it always been so?  Is it worldwide?  Cultural?  A requirement to fit into the scene?

I am not even sure its true. The NY Times #1 and #3 hardcover nonfiction bestseller is Bill O'Reilly.
What are the political leanings of John Grisham, Tom Clancy, James Patterson, Stephen King, JK Rowling?

Top selling albums of 2012 are Adele, One Direction, Taylor Swift. Also no idea of political leanings.

Hollywood hard to tell--appears liberal but really is after money.

Found this link on billboard with artists that appeared at fundraisers etc for presidential candidates.
http://www.billboard.com/photogalleries/presidential-election-2012-musicians-on-1008002542.story#/photogalleries/presidential-election-2012-musicians-on-1008002542.story

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 05, 2012, 11:27:06 PM
I am not even sure its true. The NY Times #1 and #3 hardcover nonfiction bestseller is Bill O'Reilly.
What are the political leanings of John Grisham, Tom Clancy, James Patterson, Stephen King, JK Rowling?

Top selling albums of 2012 are Adele, One Direction, Taylor Swift. Also no idea of political leanings.

Hollywood hard to tell--appears liberal but really is after money.

Taylor Swift has stayed out of it.
Stephen King, JK Rowling = Liberal
Tom Clancy = Conservative
Toby Keith = Conservative, Democat, Independent, Republican by own omission. He voted for Clinton, Bush, and Obama. This election he's shown support on both sides.

I wish I knew what political stance Robert Jordan was before he died. Not that it matters, but I just bought books 1-9 of his Wheel of Time series. I'm about to embark on months worth of reading, and I'm wondering what mindset I will be indulging into.

Sardondi

Good lord, man, unclench your sphincter for a nanosecond, would you?...

Hell no. And neither would you if some moron started a thread asking, "How can liberals stand being such evil people who support of XYZ?" That the threadstarter might have been entirely genuine isn't material. Some combinations of gratuitous attack, presumption and condescension are so incredibly clueless that they cry out for a heated response. Besides, tell me the image of a papier mache vagina-making party isn't funny.

i thought i would add this bit for consideration as i've been reading several of the editions over time...   http://acculturated.com/2012/05/30/of-course-conservatives-can-do-pop-culture-well/

editions i found most interesting, as i agreed with them and noted opinions on both sides, are the ones dealing with comments regarding SF authors and how they have often leaned libertarian/right as far as their story goes.... but not always reflecting the authors actual leanings.    8)

Juan

Quote from: Sardondi on November 05, 2012, 09:12:52 PM
those who actually work for a living instead of chatter, warble or prance
Hey, as a chatterer and warbler - I resent that.  Now for the prancers....

John Smith

I was inspired to start this thread after seeing this embarassing YouTube clip of Meatloaf signing with Mitt.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0L-D6zj5U1g

I thought is was a bit amusing that during every election cycle a Republican candidate tries to use a bit of music during their campaign and they are immediately slapped with a cease-and-desist order from the artist. Palin tried to use Hearts Barracuda for example.

Just a social observation about creative types. For some reason quarterbacks and head-coaches appear to be conservative. The men and women that make-up the armed services split pretty evenly when it comes to part affiliation.

Juan

The Republicans are not slapped with cease and desist orders, IIRC.  The recording artists make some statement to the press saying they don't want their song used, then find out that all the licensing had already been handled through BMI or ASCAP and that the artists are receiving their performance royalties - just as they had agreed to when they signed up with the licensing organization.

Zircon

Springsteen sounds like cheap microwavable Chinese rice whereas Meatloaf always goes really well with mashed potatoes, carrots and green beans ... you know, real American food.

And Bruce, how about putting down the guitar and helping out your fellow New Jersians with getting their lives back together. Singing is one thing but it won't keep you warm or fill your stomach. Get with a "real" program "Boss" (oh brother!, boss of what?).

LacyWoodrow

This man has a name. His name is Robert Paulsen. His name.. is Robert Paulsen. <3 Meatloaf via Fightclub.

John Smith

Quote from: UFO Fill on November 06, 2012, 06:07:30 AM
The Republicans are not slapped with cease and desist orders, IIRC.  The recording artists make some statement to the press saying they don't want their song used, then find out that all the licensing had already been handled through BMI or ASCAP and that the artists are receiving their performance royalties - just as they had agreed to when they signed up with the licensing organization.

IIRC, the public yelling of the artist is usually enough to get campaign X to stop using said artists music. The end around for Repubs to use Country artists.

bluth co.

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on November 05, 2012, 11:33:48 PM
I just bought books 1-9 of his Wheel of Time series. I'm about to embark on months worth of reading, and I'm wondering what mindset I will be indulging into.

In anticipation for the release of the 14th book in January i would hope. I was fortunate enough to read the prologue and was impressed. Best of luck in your journey, it took me 6 months to get through books 1-13. In terms of political affiliation, does freemasonry count? :P

LacyWoodrow

Quote from: bluth co. on November 06, 2012, 07:02:52 PM
In anticipation for the release of the 14th book in January i would hope. I was fortunate enough to read the prologue and was impressed. Best of luck in your journey, it took me 6 months to get through books 1-13. In terms of political affiliation, does freemasonry count? :P

Thanks for your input. I'm halfway through book one. Pages 1-100 were difficult I must admit. Slow, and detailed, but it's picked up very fast. I'm excited. Is book 14 the prequel? I admit I didn't look into that already.

onan

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on November 05, 2012, 11:33:48 PM
Taylor Swift has stayed out of it.
Stephen King, JK Rowling = Liberal
Tom Clancy = Conservative
Toby Keith = Conservative, Democat, Independent, Republican by own omission. He voted for Clinton, Bush, and Obama. This election he's shown support on both sides.

I wish I knew what political stance Robert Jordan was before he died. Not that it matters, but I just bought books 1-9 of his Wheel of Time series. I'm about to embark on months worth of reading, and I'm wondering what mindset I will be indulging into.

The author who took over for Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, did a nice job finishing the series (so my wife says). But my god what a long series. I gave up after book 6... thankfully my wife finished the series and gave me the synopsis.

Well I thought it was finished... another one... shoot me.

bluth co.

Quote from: LacyWoodrow on November 06, 2012, 08:33:57 PM
Thanks for your input. I'm halfway through book one. Pages 1-100 were difficult I must admit. Slow, and detailed, but it's picked up very fast. I'm excited. Is book 14 the prequel? I admit I didn't look into that already.
Not a prequel, but the ending of the series. I admit that i had trouble getting through the first two books, I wasn't really hooked on the series until the 4th book.