• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Frikin' PC Games!

Started by elbee, August 09, 2012, 01:25:03 AM

I have been trying to find the name of a pc game for the longest time. It was before 1991 and was a top down view adventure game where you were in a futuristic city and trying to escape or find your way out?
I think it may have had the word "city" somewhere in the title.

I know I'm in a minority when I say this, but Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link is still one of my all time favorite games. A lot of fans criticize it because of the side-scrolling parts but I loved the mix of role-playing and action game which broke conventions even back then. The experience and spell progression systems were both ahead of their time as well.

The only complaint I have with the game is with some of the puzzles. Unless you know exactly what you're looking for you will never find some things by chance. The game has a sadistic side to hiding treasure and other necessary items and locations, which always seemed like a grab to sell more Nintendo Power magazines. But most of the old games were like that anyway, so it's hard to hold it against this one.

ziznak

Zelda 2's style adventure game pioneered the way for Battle of Olympus which I think was the best ever of that generations side scrolling adventure style... adv games were invented with zelda before that everything was straight up action.

ziznak

we need to spam this link to noory's skype later

Addis0n

Arma 2, best game ever.  I run 4 servers for it and a minecraft server.

Caruthers612

I hereby give a ringing endorsement to the Walking Dead game. So well thought out, designed, maintains your interest and your high blood pressure. Also very useful while you're waiting for fresh episodes of the TV show to air.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 22, 2013, 06:25:59 AM
I know I'm in a minority when I say this, but Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link is still one of my all time favorite games.
Dude...
Zelda two was the shit

davidk26212

I built about a $1000 dollar gaming PC, so it can play pretty much anything I throw at it on max settings.

What Ive been playing a lot lately though is Victoria 2, Civ 5, Fallout New Vegas,  Batman Arkham City, Guild wars 2, and The Secret World. 

Quote from: Caruthers612 on February 17, 2013, 12:24:55 PM

I hereby give a ringing endorsement to the Walking Dead game. So well thought out, designed, maintains your interest and your high blood pressure. Also very useful while you're waiting for fresh episodes of the TV show to air.

It's awesome.  I'm hoping that Activisions TV-version based game will be nearly as good.  But it probably won't.

Has anyone or is anyone playing the Star Wars The Old Republic mmo? I see it is free-to-play(try) now.

ziznak

its free but there's a lot of limitations that make the game severely gay apparently... I have a friend that was paying for it.  When it went free to play he said he fell back into WOW for a bit. 

analog kid

I bought the game Prey recently and installed it today. The plot is about an alien invasion, and while you're on a space ship, you can hear Art Bell on random terminals (seems like now I remember some discussion about that here). I extracted all the audio from the game files with Art's bits. There's nine of them, but standalone they're pretty cheesy. Here's the first sample.

Don't know if anyone would want these, but here's a zip with all of them.

ziznak

Quote from: analog kid on June 19, 2013, 07:39:16 PM
I bought the game Prey recently and installed it today. The plot is about an alien invasion, and while you're on a space ship, you can hear Art Bell on random terminals (seems like now I remember some discussion about that here). I extracted all the audio from the game files with Art's bits. There's nine of them, but standalone they're pretty cheesy. Here's the first sample.

Don't know if anyone would want these, but here's a zip with all of them.
Prey gameplay
looks like a newer version of halflife.... but... cool game from what i can tell. reminds me of the most recent doom too... D3 came out i think around the same time.

analog kid

Quote from: ziznak on June 23, 2013, 08:00:38 AM
looks like a newer version of halflife.... but... cool game from what i can tell. reminds me of the most recent doom too... D3 came out i think around the same time.

It uses the Doom3 engine. It's a good game, as shooters go. It's kind of a predecessor to Portal, with heavy use of portals to solve puzzles. It's evidently been in development since '96, and it shows, with one puzzle after another through the entire game.

onan

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on May 21, 2013, 07:10:39 PM
Has anyone or is anyone playing the Star Wars The Old Republic mmo? I see it is free-to-play(try) now.

I played it for a while. Like other mmo's its a huge time sink. I quit playing it but I talk to a few that are still playing.

If you are new to the game free to play would probably be fine. But as progression gets near endgame the free to play limitations would make it problematic.

Quote from: ziznak on June 23, 2013, 08:00:38 AM
Prey gameplay

I'm not a gamer, Ziznak, but thanks for that link!  I SOOOOOO miss that voice...  Look, I know I tend to wax on about this particular issue, but it was so much fun to hear Art introduce a show from the high desert -- it was the summer of my 13th year all over again, camping out with friends under the stars and telling ghost stories and discussing whether or not there was intelligent life in the universe besides our own....  Noory & Co. just don't deliver.

Ok, I recently bought the latest version of command and conquer's game package. The red 17 or whatever it is. As usual, it goes along with other releases and problems are abound everywhere. I swear, out of all of the copies of this game/games I've purchased over the years, once, just once could they get it right?

elbee

Im trying to download BFME2 as it rocks!

Maybe we could get a hamachi server going?

http://pirateshore.org/index.php?loadurl=/torrent/6467402/The_Battle_for_Middle-earth_2___Witch_King___Updates___Camera_Fi

We really should get a Bellgab server going.

Please can we come up with some games we would be interested in playing and ill add them as a poll

My suggestion is BFME2

Quote from: El Bee on August 12, 2013, 02:46:14 PM
Im trying to download BFME2 as it rocks!
Maybe we could get a hamachi server going?
My suggestion is BFME2
I'm not familiar with that game. Man, I don't know on the others that we could all team up and go kill bad guys. Other than the Command & Conquer or old school Starcraft I've got nothin.

elbee

Which c and c are you playing? And can we use gameranger and cracked versions?.

Quote from: El Bee on August 13, 2013, 02:02:09 PM
Which c and c are you playing? And can we use gameranger and cracked versions?.
Generals Zero Hour is the only one I care to play. And of course, being a C&C game, it has issues. I'm not able to log into the server lobby to even join or create a game. I haven't searched the forums for an answer yet, but I suppose there is one out there. I've bought so damn many different versions of this game for one reason or another (usually EA's fault) that who knows what I have ahead of me.

The most recent purchase of C&C of mine was the red label one, 17. It has all of the games to date, but, and it is a big but, you have to download each one via Origin and you have to be logged on to the net to be able to even play. When you buy the game at the store, ya, you get a disc, but much to my disappointment it was a motherfucking game music soundtrack. No game files. Fucked up eh?

elbee

yea that sucks! I used to love copying all the half life sound tracks and burning them on cd haha.

I belive as long as we have the same versions (even cracked) of C&C it will work over gameranger (it hosts cracked servers and such!)

Or we could use hamachi - which creates a virtual LAN connection.

Anyway, to TEST this hypothesis, If you could download this

http://pirateproxy.se/torrent/4130073/Lord_of_the_Rings_Battle_for_Middle-Earth_II

install it by using Magic Disc (virtual cd drive for ISO files)

then download and install this fix. http://pirateproxy.se/torrent/5746667/Lord_of_The_Rings_Battle_for_Middle_Earth_2_Update_and_Crash_Fix

then as a last step download this exellent community patch.

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=914706

THEN we will be on the same version exactly. I have tested all this its all virus free and working great!

zeebo

Quote from: Pragmier on January 20, 2013, 01:40:15 PM
Been playing Master of Orion 2 and wow! I had forgotten how good that game is. Looks pretty decent still after 15+ years. Downloaded from GOG games and runs well on Win7/dosbox.

I just started playing MOO2 again as well.  I'm amazed how older games did so much more with so much less.  You actually have to think and figure things out.  There are risks to consider and decisions actually matter.  The deepness of the game slowly reveals itself to you over time.  It's not just mindlessly running around blowing stuff up (which I'll admit sometimes can be fun too in it's own way).  I guess it's called game design, something often lacking in today's games of amazing graphics but uninteresting gameplay.

On a side note, thought I'd mention that GOG now also has one of my all-time favorite PC games ... Deus Ex (Game of the Year Edition), which I highly recommend, for about 10 bucks.  (Note: I'm talking about the original one in the series - it came out over ten years ago but is still quite playable.)  Kind of a mix of stealth and action and role-playing, built around an intriguing conspiratorial story which is right up the alley of any longtime C2C listener.   :)

Just got hooked up with the latest zDoom to run Doom 1 and 2 with mouselook on a modern PC. Great games and absolute classics, I'm very happy to be able to go back to these masterpieces.

Get zDoom here if you're interested:
http://zdoom.org/News
You still need a copy of the original Doom to use the upgrades but that should be easy enough to find.

I also installed Doom 3 on an older machine I have sitting around the house. Also an excellent shooter, just too bad it went head to head with Halflife 2, which was a bit more impressive at the time. For me, anyway.

ziznak

Quote from: El Bee on August 16, 2013, 05:32:45 AM
yea that sucks! I used to love copying all the half life sound tracks and burning them on cd haha.

I belive as long as we have the same versions (even cracked) of C&C it will work over gameranger (it hosts cracked servers and such!)

Or we could use hamachi - which creates a virtual LAN connection.

Anyway, to TEST this hypothesis, If you could download this

http://pirateproxy.se/torrent/4130073/Lord_of_the_Rings_Battle_for_Middle-Earth_II

install it by using Magic Disc (virtual cd drive for ISO files)

then download and install this fix. http://pirateproxy.se/torrent/5746667/Lord_of_The_Rings_Battle_for_Middle_Earth_2_Update_and_Crash_Fix

then as a last step download this exellent community patch.

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=914706

THEN we will be on the same version exactly. I have tested all this its all virus free and working great!

you get this working?  I've used gameranger in the past for some older COD and quake... cracked servers out the azzz.  I get my main shootemup fix from cod4 still sans any kind of gaming network software... but yeah i have to stick to cracked stuff.
Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 22, 2013, 04:25:42 AM
Just got hooked up with the latest zDoom to run Doom 1 and 2 with mouselook on a modern PC. Great games and absolute classics, I'm very happy to be able to go back to these masterpieces.

Get zDoom here if you're interested:
http://zdoom.org/News
You still need a copy of the original Doom to use the upgrades but that should be easy enough to find.

I also installed Doom 3 on an older machine I have sitting around the house. Also an excellent shooter, just too bad it went head to head with Halflife 2, which was a bit more impressive at the time. For me, anyway.
D3 was awesome.  Its funny you bring up zdoom cause I was just recently messing with dsdoom which is the homebrew nintendo DS port of doom.  It's awesome on the lil handheld just one friggin problem.  It uses PrBoom so if you wanna play custom maps you have to do some custom shit.  Something about prboom needing to load an iwad first and then you can specify the pwads after IN some sort of argv file?? the argv file loads arguments into dsdoom like... loading wads... yeah so now I'm re-researching and taking another crack at this.  The last time i tried just renaming the pwad files so they looked like iwads.  this of course is too easy to work. Iwads are the internal map files for doom.  They are default file names that doom looks for first. some shit like that.  wont run unless an iwad is loaded first.  I think  Doom.wad doom2.wad plutonia.was and a few other names are the iwad list.  whatever I'm rambling... too much coffee weeeeeeeeeee

EDIT: the reason zdoom brought me to think of all this is cause apparently its very easy to load pwads through zdoom... and a lot of pwads can only be run in zdoom. 

Quote from: ziznak on August 23, 2013, 12:53:06 PM
you get this working?  I've used gameranger in the past for some older COD and quake... cracked servers out the azzz.  I get my main shootemup fix from cod4 still sans any kind of gaming network software... but yeah i have to stick to cracked stuff.D3 was awesome.  Its funny you bring up zdoom cause I was just recently messing with dsdoom which is the homebrew nintendo DS port of doom.  It's awesome on the lil handheld just one friggin problem.  It uses PrBoom so if you wanna play custom maps you have to do some custom shit.  Something about prboom needing to load an iwad first and then you can specify the pwads after IN some sort of argv file?? the argv file loads arguments into dsdoom like... loading wads... yeah so now I'm re-researching and taking another crack at this.  The last time i tried just renaming the pwad files so they looked like iwads.  this of course is too easy to work. Iwads are the internal map files for doom.  They are default file names that doom looks for first. some shit like that.  wont run unless an iwad is loaded first.  I think  Doom.wad doom2.wad plutonia.was and a few other names are the iwad list.  whatever I'm rambling... too much coffee weeeeeeeeeee

EDIT: the reason zdoom brought me to think of all this is cause apparently its very easy to load pwads through zdoom... and a lot of pwads can only be run in zdoom.

Wish I could help but I don't know much about the customization end of things. I was able to download zDoom and point it at the Doom directories and it worked right out of the box thankfully. :)

Doom on a DS would be cool, but you really need a keyboard and mouse to play it properly imo.

ziznak

actually on the ds it plays great... shoulder buttons work as a great strafing control left and right... actually feels like the controls are a little tighter than classic keyboard.

stevesh

Haven't played any kind of video/computer game in years, but I was once addicted to Robotron and (especially) Stargate down to the 7-11.