• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Facebook Sucks

Started by Marc.Knight, May 29, 2012, 06:19:28 PM

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on June 01, 2012, 03:22:43 PM
"There is no doubt that some people close to you will talk about your recent departure from Facebook.   Family members may think that your exodus from the big daddy of (a)social networking is "just a phase".  They may think that you will be back.  Will you?  That is the question that only you can decide."

The above is a quote from  http://www.facebookdetox.com/

I've only just begun to look through it, but he already gets points for insisting on calling facebook an  "(a)social networking site."

Insightful writer:  "Lately I have been lessening my online presence..." is a theme throughout. 

I used to have prospective employers questioning me at interviews about publications and seminars I gave that were referenced on the Internet.  I should have realized that they would "Google" my name, but it always caught me off-guard as I never knew what aspect they may misinterpret or not like, or wonder out loud why I did not include it on my written resume.  Stuff about you on the Internet is like your second, uncontrolled (life) resume that is increasingly seen by employers as more interesting than the well crafted one in your hand.  Over the past several years I have consciously worked to reduce what is available about me on the Internet.  It is a good feeling not to be able to be Googled.

MV/Liberace!

$25.87 and the bad news (or good, depending...) just keeps rolling in.

Frys Girl

Quote from: M. Knight on June 02, 2012, 02:24:21 AM

Insightful writer:  "Lately I have been lessening my online presence..." is a theme throughout. 

I used to have prospective employers questioning me at interviews about publications and seminars I gave that were referenced on the Internet.  I should have realized that they would "Google" my name, but it always caught me off-guard as I never knew what aspect they may misinterpret or not like, or wonder out loud why I did not include it on my written resume.  Stuff about you on the Internet is like your second, uncontrolled (life) resume that is increasingly seen by employers as more interesting than the well crafted one in your hand.  Over the past several years I have consciously worked to reduce what is available about me on the Internet.  It is a good feeling not to be able to be Googled.
Nice. I think in addition to sex-ed or in it, teachers will have to say "don't sext or post sexy pics on facebook. don't fastblast George Noory saying 9-11 was an inside job." wow. what a world!

bluth co.

I deactivated my facebook because personally, when i see people's inane status updates I have a strong desire to say mean things that I wouldn't say if I were physically talking to that person, this is something that i generally try and avoid on the internet. I didn't like the disconnect that I felt with people tbh.

tmock00

Quote from: MV on May 31, 2012, 09:30:38 AM

on that, i couldn't disagree more.  i think twitter is a great resource.  depending on who you follow, it can be used as a real time stream of information... USEFUL information... coming at you 24/7.  what i do with twitter primarily is subscribe to certain android developers and multiple news outlets.  I'm constantly aware of what's happening because of it. 

facebook never did a single thing for me.  i think your dismissal of twitter, however, is silly.

I use Twitter for exactly the reason you mentioned. Twitter is a fantastic resource, and depending on how one uses it, there doesn't have to be any personal info shared between people at all, whatsoever.  You pick a few topics you like and start following people who generally have great info about those topics.  I have interviewed people and learned valuable information for my websites via Twitter, where people are more inclined to share their knowledge and expertise to anyone who wants it.   

Facebook on the other hand requires "friendship." 

Ugh.

I have ADD so I was only on facebook for like 2 days. Then I forgot my password. I went to recover it from my email, but I had also forgotten my email password. MEH.

DAE

Sorry for bumping this thread up, but I'd like to add my thoughts on this...

YouTube:  Don't you find it odd that forum systems such as this, which are usually free to use/install, have built-in profanity filters which can star out the swear words if you want that option, but on the big corporate run YouTube with big dollars behind it you can pretty much swear all you want and the words aren't hidden, even though YouTube is visited constantly by children? 

Facebook/MySpace:  Facebook is taking the MySpace approach... rarely upgrade the infrastructure, customization is pathetic or non-existent, and sometimes the settings are tricky to figure out.  Like I remember with MySpace you sort of had to do these code tricks just to customize the look.  Yet both are backed by big bucks and thus would assume that features would be upgraded over time.  I hadn't logged into my MySpace account for 3 years.  When I did so not long ago to purge my account, I was surprised to notice that nothing really changed or has advanced. It's almost like they are clinging to the Craigslist approach; minimal, with no advancement in features or look.  I like what one member here wrote above... you post silly stuff on Facebook and you get replies, but if you post something insightful or important, it usually is ignored.

Twitter:  Don't you find it odd that you can pretty much install various free stuff on your own web hosting like a blog system and easily change the background image within seconds, yet for 2 years Twitter users are often struggling with being able to update their background image even though Twitter is also backed by big bucks? Like what type of programmers do they hire?  I agree with some here that Twitter can be useful if you chose carefully who you follow.  But company's who obsess over Twitter forget that most people in general don't actually see their tweets simply due to the sheer volume of tweets going out; most Twitter users follow hundreds or thousands of other Twitter users. My last job at a TV news station they even wasted resources and brought in a Twitter expert to give a 3 hour workshop to all staff telling them how to tweet.  Then my company hired a few people to actually do the tweets.  When I looked at our followers, most followers were following hundreds of others... thus the odds of them seeing our tweets on a timely basis was simply slim to none.  Then our Twitter just became used for promos, versus news or something, and thus the Twitter followership dwindled and my company couldn't figure out why... even after having 'expert' training.  It's all a bloody nonsensical joke.

I don't understand (well I do actually) how big corporations do not have the insight to take user feedback seriously.  I guess it is that mindset whereby if you complain, you are viewed as just a troublemaker, rather than a source of important feedback.  Sort of like when I write to Coast complaining about George constantly jumping around topics even before the guest has fully answered the initial question, they just chose to ignore that rather than upgrade themselves. The result? Craigslist falls behind while Kijiji moves on ahead. lol

MV/Liberace!

$26.84 at the end of trading thursday.  this stock is just dead money.

HAL 9000

Extended trading hours: down another 10.71% to $23.97

Yippie!

b_dubb

raise your hand if you saw this coming

**** Internet raises hands ****

slipstream

Quote from: HAL 9000 on July 27, 2012, 01:55:25 AM
Extended trading hours: down another 10.71% to $23.97

Yippie!

I am so thrilled this stock is getting hammered.  Death to Facebook.

Frys Girl

Is twitter going to go public?

Zircon

Quote from: MV on July 27, 2012, 08:06:08 AM
$22.99!
Looking forward to seeing Zuckerberg working at a McDonalds.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on July 27, 2012, 09:13:16 AM
Is twitter going to go public?

if they are, they'd better figure out a business model first.  i have no idea how twitter could be profitable.

b_dubb

Quote from: Zircon on July 27, 2012, 09:26:46 AM
Looking forward to seeing Zuckerberg working at a McDonalds.
the first thing Zuck did when Facebook went public was sell a billion dollars worth of stock. Zuck doesn't have any worries

Looking at this deal ... does anyone really think Facebook could generate the kind of revenue needed to float an IPO like this? My gut reaction is that wall street thought heres a way to make a quick buck - lets have an IPO for this wildly popular web site. Problem is that the people who spend hours and hours on fb are people who don't have a lot going on and aren't gainfully employed. So why would anyone want to advertise to that demographic?

I'd say that the IPO was done in bad faith and no one ever really thought fb had a chance long term.  It was a short term money grab

Frys Girl

Quote from: MV on July 27, 2012, 09:31:53 AM

if they are, they'd better figure out a business model first.  i have no idea how twitter could be profitable.
i just don't understand how all these people bought into the FB stock without having proof of a profit model. FB is so dumb.

Quote from: b_dubb on July 27, 2012, 11:38:50 AM
Looking at this deal ... does anyone really think Facebook could generate the kind of revenue needed to float an IPO like this? My gut reaction is that wall street thought heres a way to make a quick buck - lets have an IPO for this wildly popular web site.

I do. Once the screws are tightened, there is money to be made at FB. Its probably going to take some changes in management, but the potential is there.

malfador

Quote from: McPhallus on May 30, 2012, 06:52:37 AM
EFNet was once ground zero for the world's population of angry asshole nerds.

undernet was one floor up from that, had a moron come into our channel once and claimed to be a member of the manson family and told us we were all marked...14 years later he's probably still wondering why his computer blue screened on him right after.

Morgus

Facebook stock hit a new all-time LOW today, under $20/share for the first time...

coaster

facebook claimed around 90 million users (which is probably a very low estimate) were fake accounts and their ad system, their primary source of revenue, is evidently fraudulent as well. Investing in facebook is like paying to play their spammy games, a complete waste of money.

b_dubb

Facebook IPO was a scam from the get go. That stock price will tank in a few weeks and everyone will act like "well that's one for the lesson books". The real lesson is never invest in a business/product you don't understand. I can't understand how they arrived at such an inflated value for the IPO. Facebook has never been that profitable. Right now Facebook is probably at its most popular. It will only decline from here. How you could grow profits from here is beyond me.

ShayP

I gave facebook a shot on two seperate occassions.  I quit within 2 months each time.  I felt cheap for setting up the account(s). I did so through pressure from friends, family, etc.

The only positive was I found some long lost friends.  Other than that I was constantly reminded how shitty people can be by reading their stupid self-absorbed, useless posts, and their vague observations.  I hate social media in general.  To me, it's a tool to make you feel important.  I could go on....

Although, like the poster above me, I can see a redeeming quality in Twitter.  Nonetheless...I hate it all.

3OctaveFart

More bad news for the Golden State.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/08/06/facebook-stock-drop-could-cost-california/

QuoteThe California Legislative Analyst’s Office said last week the state will lose hundreds of millions in state tax revenue if Facebook’s stock continues to stagnate, but Moody’s says the situation isn’t as dire as it may sound.

California had been budgeting on $1.9 billion in revenues from Facebook, based on a stock price of $35 a share, but Facebook shares have slumped broadly, ending Friday at $21.09 per share Friday, 45% below the initial $38 share price. The stock was up 3.8% to $21.90 Monday.

“A loss of hundreds of millions in revenue would equal less than 1% of the state’s $91 billion budget,” Moody’s says. ”Given that California has faced mid-year budget gaps of tens of billions of dollars in recent years, we expect a gap of this size opening in the middle of the year to be manageable.”

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on August 06, 2012, 11:47:43 AM
More bad news for the Golden State.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/08/06/facebook-stock-drop-could-cost-california/

The California Legislative Analyst’s Office said last week the state will lose hundreds of millions in state tax revenue if Facebook’s stock continues to stagnate, but Moody’s says the situation isn’t as dire as it may sound.

i love how government considers a negative deviation from expected future tax revenue a "loss" when they don't even have the money in the treasury yet.

3OctaveFart

I have long presumed Zuckerberg is just winging it by now, doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Same goes for our government.

ShayP

I hate Facebook.  Can't stand looking at Zuckerberg.  Want to punch a hole through his face.  And quite frankly...it blows my mind that something that isn't tangible can be valued.  You can't hold Facebook.  You can't physically touch it.  Then again we value air, so I may me remiss.  We also value Santa Claus and he makes $$$.  Oh wait, he's not real.  But Zuckerberg is.  He valued something that is a template for self-absorbtion and fantasy....with a litlle usefullness sprinkled in.  The suckers lined up and bought the stock.  Did they forget about the .COM debacle years ago?

3OctaveFart

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184658/Is-joining-Facebook-sign-youre-psychopath-Some-employers-psychologists-say-suspicious.html

QuoteFacebook has become such a pervasive force in modern society that increasing numbers of employers, and even some psychologists, believe people who aren't on social networking sites are 'suspicious.'

The German magazine Der Taggspiegel went so far as to point out that accused theater shooter James Holmes and Norwegian mass murder Anders Behring Breivik have common ground in their lack of Facebook profiles.

On a more tangible level, Forbes.com reports that human resources departments across the country are becoming more wary of young job candidates who don't use the site.

onan

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on August 07, 2012, 12:26:37 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184658/Is-joining-Facebook-sign-youre-psychopath-Some-employers-psychologists-say-suspicious.html

This is a prime example of how bloggers, to low-rent-news, to news agencies get things wrong.

Larry Rosen a PhD psychologist is shilling a book about the prevalence of tech in the world today. Called iDisorder... cute huh? I haven't read the book and probably have learned the last thing about it I ever will.

Is there some relevance to avoidance to tech and antisocial behavior? yeah about the same as there is for drinking milk.